U.S. Jews not able to fly on Delta flights to Saudi Arabia

Shortline Bus

U.S. Jews not able to fly on Delta flights to Saudi Arabia

By Michele Chabin, Religion News Service

Re-Printed in USA Today

June 23, 2011

JERUSALEM — Jews and Israelis, or passengers carrying any non-Islamic article of faith, will not be able to fly Delta Air Lines flights from the U.S. to Saudi Arabia under Delta's new partnership with Saudi Arabian Airlines.

Although Delta announced in January that the Saudi airline would join its SkyTeam network next year, the implications of the deal only came to light recently, according to people who have scrutinized the details.

Saudi Arabia, which is governed by strict Islamic law, requires citizens of almost every country to obtain a visa. People who wish to enter the country must have a sponsor; women, who must be dressed according to Saudi standards of modesty, must be met at the Saudi airport by a man who will act as a chaperone.

Saudi Arabia bans anyone with an Israeli stamp in their passport from entering the country, even in transit. Many Jews believe the kingdom has also withheld visas from travelers with Jewish-sounding names.

Religious items such as Bibles that are not related to Islam may be confiscated at the airport.

Colby M. May, senior counsel of the American Center for Law and Justice, a conservative legal group founded by religious broadcaster Pat Robertson, said his office is trying to determine if the agreement runs afoul of U.S. law.

"The very idea that there is a common carrier airline service that would deny an American citizen in America access to their services because they are Jewish or have religious items such as a yarmulke, a cross or a priestly collar, is deeply disturbing," May said.

May said he is "trying to get answers" from Delta.

"They have not responded in a way that answers the question," he said. "Hopefully they'll do so."

In a statement to Religion News Service on Thursday, Delta said it "does not discriminate, nor do we condone discrimination against any protected class of passenger in regards to age, race, nationality, religion, or gender."

The airline, which did not deny the new policy, insisted that it has no control over who may fly to Saudi Arabia.

"Delta must also comply with all applicable laws in every country it serves," adding that passengers are responsible for obtaining the necessary travel documents required for entry.

"If a passenger travels without proper documents, the passenger may be denied entry into that country and our airline may be fined," the statement said."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/2011-06-23-us-jews-delta-airlines-saudis_n.htm

Why would anyone jewish ever fly to Saudi Arabia anyway?? I know I wouldn't go there.

Foxie not just Jews. I don't think ANY OUTSIDER ESPECIALLY A WESTERN TRAVELER is welcome over there. Sounds like a 21st century version of Jim Crow or Apartheid(I am not the Sharpton or LIU that screams racism every second either)that acceptable to them because majority of Sauids are very rich.

The Arab World. Remind me why didn't we just leave them with their stupid Middle Ages beliefs. They are stupid to be stuck in that time in the first place, and they are extremely stupid for not modernizing, and they are still stuck in their mood about the Crusades. That was what 1,000 years ago. These stupid people will learn just like Adolf Hitler did, and the Japanese did. If they start a World War they are begging to get nuked, and I am certain that it won't be the US that would agree to it. The entire group of the UN and NATO would agree to it too. Why would we want a group of imperialistic Nazi like people try to conquer the World?

The Arab World. Remind me why didn't we just leave them with their stupid Middle Ages beliefs. They are stupid to be stuck in that time in the first place, and they are extremely stupid for not modernizing, and they are still stuck in their mood about the Crusades. That was what 1,000 years ago. These stupid people will learn just like Adolf Hitler did, and the Japanese did. If they start a World War they are begging to get nuked, and I am certain that it won't be the US that would agree to it. The entire group of the UN and NATO would agree to it too. Why would we want a group of imperialistic Nazi like people try to conquer the World?

the US is waaay more imperialistic than the Saudis.

Islam was always a religion that preached intolerance and violence. If you have learned a bit about history Islam was never peaceful. If you learn enough you can tell about their Caliphate, about Sharia Law, about how they conquered Europe, about how they took land and destroyed everything that was against their religion to promote their religion, and many other things. Is this a religion that seems like peace to you. It's a religion that oppresses the right of everything we stand for, and it's a religion that allows women to be treated like dogs. In fact let me post you a fact from my old World History Textbook.

-A husband is allow to divorce his wife as long as he says "I will divorce you" in Arabic 3 times

Does this sound like a good religion to you? It isn't. It's racist and xenophobic, and this is what I am trying to say. Islamism is like Nazism and Fascism. They aren't different from one another. They are in fact the largest trio of racism, hatred, and bigotry as we know it.

I am not blaming all of them. I am blaming some of them. I am not trying to blame a whole group of people for bringing trouble. I am sorry if I meant that in some of my posts though, but mostly I was talking about the terrorists, and the strict Islamic groups, and I am in no means racist, but their religion was partially found by hate and it's true if you read about it.

I am not blaming all of them. I am blaming some of them. I am not trying to blame a whole group of people for bringing trouble. I am sorry if I meant that in some of my posts though, but mostly I was talking about the terrorists, and the strict Islamic groups, and I am in no means racist, but their religion was partially found by hate and it's true if you read about it.

You should have stated that in the first place. And since you didn't, you look like the racist. Just saying.

Another the article's note, I have no say. It is their country and they have their laws. It seems since they are joining forces (Delta and Saudi Air) they need to follow the laws as well. I never planned on traveling to Saudi Arabia anyway so clearly I don't care.

Don't worry the original World Trade Center from 1973-2001's design, and the plaza was basically based off the Mosque. The Sphere at the World Trade Center represented the Kaaba itself. If you went to the original World Trade Center before 9/11 then you basically have the idea of what the Mosque in Mecca looks like.

I always wanted to see the Masjid al-Haram one day. But then I found out no one is allowed into Mecca except Muslims.

Darn.

Hey 99.9% of us may not make it over there unless you Muslim. However almost 20 years ago in 1992 Spike Lee in his bio-flick of controversial Black Nationalist Leader Macolm X became one of the first and(to this date)only handful of US/Western world movies that actually was granted permission to film 'on location' in Mecca.

So as an alternative here the famous (rare from a US-based film)scene of Macolm (played by Denzel Washington in his 'break through role')in Mecca shortly before his death in 1964. Not to get off topic but while I am not a fan of all of Spike Lee 'Black nationalist' views in his films, Macolm X is by far the best movie he has produced IMO.

For someone like Roadcrusier I suggest you see it.

Anyhow here Mecca the closest most of us will ever see it.

PS Hey this policy stinks by the Saudis IMO. Many businessmen travel to that country for instance related to *cough* oil *cough* and I am sure some of them are Jewish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlOJADtJ7rQ

That video proves the point of my earlier post that there are some people like the Terrorists, and the strict believers that causes problems within that religion, and how they use that religion for their own benefit. This proves that people like them must be destroyed, or changed somehow to be more peaceful and tolerant. Education would be key in changing the people that believes in using violence for their own benefit.

That video proves the point of my earlier post that there are some people like the Terrorists, and the strict believers that causes problems within that religion, and how they use that religion for their own benefit. This proves that people like them must be destroyed, or changed somehow to be more peaceful and tolerant. Education would be key in changing the people that believes in using violence for their own benefit.

While I dislike political correctness, calm down roadcrusier. To say all Muslims are terrorists is out of line.:tdown:.

Yes not to 'sugar coat' there sadly tens of thousands of Extreme Muslims that hate us here in the US/Western World.

With that said, you also are insulting the Majority of Muslims especially here in US who would not hurt a fly. An example as i said before was an old college professor in undergraduate school from Egypt who came to the US as a then 18-year old and are 'secular'.

I created this thread and was hoping to avoid a dissing of all Muslims but to condemn our so called 'friend' the Saudi Government.

My point Road is be carefully what you type. You sound like a bigot at times with your comments on all of the Muslims.

Don't worry the original World Trade Center from 1973-2001's design, and the plaza was basically based off the Mosque. The Sphere at the World Trade Center represented the Kaaba itself. If you went to the original World Trade Center before 9/11 then you basically have the idea of what the Mosque in Mecca looks like.

And where did this lovely nugget of information come from?

Archived