Q45/Q47 Merger, Q39 Revision & Other Service Changes

Amtrak7

A year after we lost dozens of bus routes, the MTA is going to eliminate another! The meeting is Monday, June 27 (!).

http://mta.info/mta/news/books/pdf/110627_1115_BUS.pdf

Pages 50 to end

-Revise Q39 westbound to operate via Maurice Av and 55 Dr instead of 58 St. Reroute westbound route off 57 Pl. (Sep 2011)

-September schedule changes-notably a sizable increase in Sat B70 and x17 service

-Here's the big one, to take effect Sep 2011:

• Reroute southbound Q47 and Q49 via 75 St instead of 73 St;
  • Combine the Q45 and Q47 under the Q47 designation

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
73rd St is brutal traffic wise, 75th St is a much better alternative.

But it would make more sense for it turn right on Woodside Ave

instead of 41st Ave, then continue to 69th St. Woodside Ave is much

better suited for a bus then 41st Ave.

Don't forget that the reroutes (but not the combination) is because of a DOT closure of 37 Rd between 73 and 74.

The thing that I don't get about the X17 is that, during middays, it is at 113% of guidelines, but when they double the headways, they expect it to be at 43% of guidelines. Shouldn't doubling the headways cut the passenger load in half (leaving it around 56%, rather than 43%)?

If anything, it should be even more than that, since I'm sure doubling the frequency should attract additional ridership. Maybe that was a typo, and they meant to say 63%.

I wonder if those large increases in service mean that they plan to add Sunday service very soon. A 20-30 minute headway all day on Saturday is lower than many other routes that have Sunday service.

I wonder if those large increases in service mean that they plan to add Sunday service very soon. A 20-30 minute headway all day on Saturday is lower than many other routes that have Sunday service.

What other routes are you referring to? Don't forget, MTA Bus Co routes don't count as it doesn't really save the MTA money to cut service on those.

Can someone please reload the link or something or repost it in a different way??? It is impossible to get the file, which is annoying the hell out of me. Anyone else having this problem?? I've tried getting it off of my laptop, as well as off of my office computer and no luck. :mad:

Ugh finally... For anyone having trouble try this...

http://mta.info/mta/news/books

You can look for Monday June 27, 2011 - MTA Bus Operations Committee and save it from there.

The PDF is like over 30MB, but they should zip these files or something. Ridiculous!

What other routes are you referring to? Don't forget, MTA Bus Co routes don't count as it doesn't really save the MTA money to cut service on those.

Well in that case, there are no routes that are more frequent, since there are only 2 other NYCT routes.

You do see a difference in the scheduling on some routes. The BxM7 runs more frequently than the BxM1, which runs more frequently than the BxM10.

The thing that I don't get about the X17 is that, during middays, it is at 113% of guidelines, but when they double the headways, they expect it to be at 43% of guidelines. Shouldn't doubling the headways cut the passenger load in half (leaving it around 56%, rather than 43%)?

If anything, it should be even more than that, since I'm sure doubling the frequency should attract additional ridership. Maybe that was a typo, and they meant to say 63%.

It's nice of them to provide lower frequencies for the express bus, but it's pointless if they all show up late! :mad: Saturday and Sunday service on the X10 has been sh*tty because the buses are 20-30 minutes late or sometimes 10 minutes early, sometimes more, so you have one crushloaded bus and then a total empty one. Adding more service does nothing if the buses don't show up as scheduled!! :mad: This is the main issue with Staten Island in general.

My question is what are they doing to address that issue?? I know that Grimm has been in talks with the (MTA) particularly about the X22, but I am not sure if he has been in talks with them about any other lines, though he did point out in his e-mail to me yesterday that he is aware of the lack of express bus service in some areas of Staten Island and he was looking to address those issues. I replied back to him saying that we were promised better express bus service once Charleston opened, but we aren't seeing any expansion of express bus service in terms of buses running later except for the addition of the X2 bus that starts at 09:00 in the morning during the week. I would much rather see some of the frequencies kept and have the buses being added put in later at night during the weekdays and weekends or in the mornings during the week where they will certainly be used. The (MTA) doesn't seem to get that not everyone on Staten Island works from 09:00 - 17:00 and the service they're providing shows that.

I will be looking to see what his response is to that and will keep pressing for that because if buses are shifted around the cost for that could be minimal to provide. I also want to know what is being done to improve reliability and having buses stick to the schedule better. It's one thing to be late, but buses running 10 minutes early is not acceptable. It screws up the bus loads and causes the buses behind them to run later and later. By the way, when is the (MTA) holding their general meeting where the public can speak and give their ideas? This is one of the things that I want to propose to them.

The PDF is like over 30MB, but they should zip these files or something. Ridiculous!

They don't post the files used to print, rather, they scan it into PDF. Each page is an image, so it's huge.

The NYCT one is HUGE, at least 2x the bus one.

They don't post the files used to print, rather, they scan it into PDF. Each page is an image, so it's huge.

The NYCT one is HUGE, at least 2x the bus one.

I used to work in the construction industry dealing with buildings for insurance purposes and had to scan lots of documents and the file size can be shrunk if you have heavy duty scanners. They apparently don't or the person doing this doesn't know how to shrink them because 68 pages isn't that much for 30MB.

It's nice of them to provide lower frequencies for the express bus, but it's pointless if they all show up late! :mad: Saturday and Sunday service on the X10 has been sh*tty because the buses are 20-30 minutes late or sometimes 10 minutes early, sometimes more, so you have one crushloaded bus and then a total empty one. Adding more service does nothing if the buses don't show up as scheduled!! :mad: This is the main issue with Staten Island in general.

My question what are they doing to address that issue?? I'm know that Grimm has been in talks with the (MTA) particularly about the X22, but I am not sure if he has been in talks with them about any other lines, though he did point out to me in his e-mail to me yesterday that he is aware of the lack of express bus service in some areas of Staten Island and he was looking to address those issues. I replied back to him saying that we were promised better express bus service once Charleston opened, but we aren't seeing any expansion of express bus service in terms of buses running later except for the addition of the X2 bus that starts at 09:00 in the morning during the week. I would much rather see some of the frequencies kept and have the buses being added put in later at night during the weekdays and weekends or in the mornings during the week where they will certainly be used. The (MTA) doesn't seem to get that not everyone on Staten Island works from 09:00 - 17:00 and the service they're providing shows that.

I will be looking to see what his response is to that and will keep pressing for that because if buses are shifted around the cost for that could be minimal to provide. I also want to know what is being done to improve reliability and having buses stick to the schedule better. It's one thing to be late, but buses running 10 minutes early is not acceptable. It screws up the bus loads and causes the buses behind them to run later and later. By the way, when is the (MTA) holding their general meeting where the public can speak and give their ideas? This is one of the things that I want to propose to them.

Agreed 100%. If a driver knows he is going to end up running early, he should leave the first stop late, so he gets back on schedule.

They are having a committee meeting on Monday. I wanted to go, but something came up, so I don't think I can make it. They have a full board meeting on Wednesday.

Here is the full calendar for all of the meetings: http://mta.info/mta/news/calendar.htm

They say you can only speak about agenda items, but I'm sure if nobody else is speaking (like the time I came up to them), they'll let you talk about something else (conveniently, the express bus service changes would be on the agenda).

I would recommend the committee meeting(s) rather than the general board meetings, because there are fewer public speakers, so they'll be inclined to listen to you more.

Agreed 100%. If a driver knows he is going to end up running early, he should leave the first stop late, so he gets back on schedule.

They are having a committee meeting on Monday. I wanted to go, but something came up, so I don't think I can make it. They have a full board meeting on Wednesday.

Here is the full calendar for all of the meetings: http://mta.info/mta/news/calendar.htm

They say you can only speak about agenda items, but I'm sure if nobody else is speaking (like the time I came up to them), they'll let you talk about something else (conveniently, the express bus service changes would be on the agenda).

I would recommend the committee meeting(s) rather than the general board meetings, because there are fewer public speakers, so they'll be inclined to listen to you more.

What meetings (dates) have you spoken at?

What meetings (dates) have you spoken at?

I spoke at the June 21st Committee Meeting and the June 23rd Board Meeting (though that one was just a comment about Student MetroCards).

That, and the SI public hearing on March 2nd (all of this was last year)

Unfortunately, I think they removed the videos from their website, but if you email them with a FOIL request, you can get the copies of the CDs.

That link either doesn't work or the site is extremely slow... :P

I spoke at the June 21st Committee Meeting and the June 23rd Board Meeting (though that one was just a comment about Student MetroCards).

That, and the SI public hearing on March 2nd (all of this was last year)

Unfortunately, I think they removed the videos from their website, but if you email them with a FOIL request, you can get the copies of the CDs.

That's what I did to get the board meeting video for the service cut vote. Silly me not to download it!

I do have the SI public hearing vote, though. Approximately how far into the hearing was it?

73rd St is brutal traffic wise, 75th St is a much better alternative.

But it would make more sense for it turn right on Woodside Ave

instead of 41st Ave, then continue to 69th St. Woodside Ave is much

better suited for a bus then 41st Ave.

As much as Woodside Av might be a great alternative, it's better off sticking to Roosevelt Av to connect with the (7) at 69th Street (as an alternative to 74th Street).

As for closing down 37th Rd, I'm glad that's gonna be done. I hope it becomes a pedestrian plaza for the congested Jackson Heights neighborhood of Little India.

Combine the Q45 and Q47 under the Q47 designation

that move was long overdue.... both of those routes are untimely and tend to arrive whenever, quite often.... maybe this change will add some stability to the new Q47.... No more intentional crawling north of grand av [Q45] & no more of....

....these problems with the current Q47

with this merger, I wonder what's gonna occupy the space inside the current Q47 lane inside victor moore (74th st bus) terminal.... NB buses? SB buses? nothing?

-------

far as the Q39 reroute, since the city's goin crazy in one-waying streets in industrial areas as of late, I'm assuming this is the case here... b/c movin buses onto maurice over there (which is often plagued w/ double parked trucks), as opposed to keeping them on 58th, makes matters worse.....

what I think should happen w/ that route is.. instead of turning off on laurel hill, buses should continue down 48th st (instead of its current trek up 58th; that turn onto laurel hill, under the BQE is where buses tend to get stuck)... then have it parallel the Q67... then buses can still undergo these changes that will be implemented on the Q39....

^^ I'll provide a visual reference of what I'm talkin about, shortly....

that move was long overdue.... both of those routes are untimely and tend to arrive whenever, quite often.... maybe this change will add some stability to the new Q47.... No more intentional crawling north of grand av [Q45] & no more of....

....these problems with the current Q47

with this merger, I wonder what's gonna occupy the space inside the current Q47 lane inside victor moore (74th st bus) terminal.... NB buses? SB buses? nothing?

That is a good question, I was thinking that those annoying livery cabs would take over that stop. I was going to say the Q53 but then I realized the routing pattern via Broadway. Dare they reroute NB or SB Q32s to stop in the terminal?! It would be better instead of having to stand under the EL where all the pigeons just shit on people....we'll see in due time....

That is a good question, I was thinking that those annoying livery cabs would take over that stop. I was going to say the Q53 but then I realized the routing pattern via Broadway. Dare they reroute NB or SB Q32s to stop in the terminal?! It would be better instead of having to stand under the EL where all the pigeons just shit on people....we'll see in due time....

I busfanned the (Q53)at least 1-2x a year(usually from QC Mall/Woodhaven-Rockaway Park)but unless there a high number of riders going to Woodside, why can't the (MTA) terminate the (Q53) or even the Q11 at the soon to be former (Q47) slot?

Archived