Q45/Q47 Merger, Q39 Revision & Other Service Changes

Amtrak7

I busfanned the (Q53)at least 1-2x a year(usually from QC Mall/Woodhaven-Rockaway Park)but unless there a high number of riders going to Woodside, why can't the (MTA) terminate the (Q53) or even the Q11 at the soon to be former (Q47) slot?

the Q11?

you want to extend the 11 to Roosevelt av???? please explain yourself....

the Q47 seldom bunched (if it did, there had to be a serious problem along the streets it traveled on); it's a route where as soon as one bus left the 74th st terminal (heading towards LGA), an incoming bus (into the bus terminal) was either right behind it, or less than a handful of minutes behind it....

^^ you cannot say the same for the Q53; it's not uncommon to see Q53's arrive in bunches.... 74th st term can hold 2 buses max per lane....

(not that it should happen anyway, but) a third Q53 arrives & you are screwed; there wouldn't be anywhere to put that bus!! despite that, I seriously doubt there'll be enough space for passengers awaiting the corresponding southbound trip... have you seen the amt. of ppl that currently wait for the Q53 on the corner of Broadway & 57th?

...and you are underestimating the amt. of Q53 riders that embark & disembark @ 61st street.....

2 parked buses along 61st st, and an incoming bus after the fact, is the norm for the Q53....

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
the Q11?

you want to extend the 11 to Roosevelt av???? please explain yourself....

the Q47 seldom bunched (if it did, there had to be a serious problem along the streets it traveled on); it's a route where as soon as one bus left the 74th st terminal (heading towards LGA), an incoming bus (into the bus terminal) was either right behind it, or less than a handful of minutes behind it....

^^ you cannot say the same for the Q53; it's not uncommon to see Q53's arrive in bunches.... 74th st term can hold 2 buses max per lane.... despite that, I seriously doubt there'll be enough space for passengers awaiting the corresponding southbound trip...

...and you are underestimating the amt. of Q53 riders that embark & disembark @ 61st street.....

Suggeted an extension of the (Q11)to 74/Jackson Heights for access to the (E)(F) express and (7) line. However since i forgot even with added service from the (Q21)it can still be busy.

And I did underestimate the amount of (Q53)at 61st/Woodside as when I ride a northbound bus from Rockaway Park almost every trip, I see at least 90% of the people get off at QC Mall to board the (R)(M) at the Woodhaven stop.

Just a thought so never mind.:eek:

Suggeted an extension of the (Q11)to 74/Jackson Heights for access to the (E)(F) express and (7) line. However since i forgot even with added service from the (Q21)it can still be busy.

And I did underestimate the amount of (Q53)at 61st/Woodside as when I ride a northbound bus from Rockaway Park almost every trip, I see at least 90% of the people get off at QC Mall to board the (R)(M) at the Woodhaven stop.

Just a thought so never mind.:eek:

Buses (the woodhaven locals I'm talkin about) constantly leave SRO out of Queens Blvd... keep those buses right where they are; leave them out of this equation....

yeh, majority of w/e riders left over comin from the south, get off at Woodhaven/QB for the subway or the mall or w/e... would you be one of those people that did that during your endeavors?

If so, then you would never know where Woodside bound Q53 usage actually picks back UP - which would be at the Grand st station... these are the people you'll find riding it out b/w 74th st (7) & 61st st (7).... error46146 can tell you that....

That is a good question, I was thinking that those annoying livery cabs would take over that stop. I was going to say the Q53 but then I realized the routing pattern via Broadway. Dare they reroute NB or SB Q32s to stop in the terminal?! It would be better instead of having to stand under the EL where all the pigeons just shit on people....we'll see in due time....

That would be hilarious to see livery cabs picking up passengers inside the terminal....

It would even be funnier to see cops handing out tickets to those cabbies stupid (err, willing :P) enough to take that risk......

buses (the woodhaven locals I'm talkin about) constantly leave SRO out of Queens Blvd... keep those buses right where they are; leave them out of this equation....

yeh, majority of people comin from the south get off at Woodhaven/QB for the subway or the mall or w/e... would you be one of those people that did that during your endeavors?

If so, then you would never know where Woodside bound Q53 usage actually picks back UP - which would be at the Grand st station... these are the people you'll find riding it out b/w 74th st (7) & 61st st (7).... error46146 can tell you that....

Not to mention the Q53 gets a good amount of riders at Whitney Avenue due to the presence of Elmhurst Chinatown aka Flushing West. In addition, the Q53 gets good ridership on weekends due to riders avoiding the inconsistent (R) train.

As for the Q47, the current slip at Victor Moore terminal could be used for those heading towards Atlas Park. Northbound would use the Q45's current first stop on Broadway at 74th St.

I know I'm not a mod or anything but this thread is about bus service changes in general, not just the Q39, Q45 and Q47. Might be wise to rename it. :P

This is not about bus service changes in general. This is about the Q39, 45, and 47.

There will be 83 schedule changes on 56 bus routes. But they are not in detail, and therefore can't really be discussed objectively.

That is a good question, I was thinking that those annoying livery cabs would take over that stop. I was going to say the Q53 but then I realized the routing pattern via Broadway. Dare they reroute NB or SB Q32s to stop in the terminal?! It would be better instead of having to stand under the EL where all the pigeons just shit on people....we'll see in due time....

One thing that I would suggest is to move the NORTHBOUND Q53 bus stop from the corner of Broadway and 75th St to the soon to be former Q45 bus stop in front of the Terminal, which is the current first stop of the Q45. The SOUTHBOUND leave as is.

As for the Q47, the current slip at Victor Moore terminal could be used for those heading towards Atlas Park. Northbound would use the Q45's current first stop on Broadway at 74th St.

either that, or that lane won't be designated for any particular route.... just used for addt'l layover space....

This is not about bus service changes in general. This is about the Q39, 45, and 47.

There will be 83 schedule changes on 56 bus routes. But they are not in detail, and therefore can't really be discussed objectively.

My understanding was that this thread was merged w/yours, which was just done recently? The link posted by Amtrak discussed several service changes, but all I can say is I'm confused as hell. Sometimes the thread only shows your original post and all corresponding responses and now it looks like it's Amtrak's and yours are now together. Anywho, I see that the title was changed, so thanks to whoever did it. :cool: Makes it easier for me to find it, assuming that the thread is indeed now merged.

My understanding was that this thread was merged w/yours, which was just done recently? The link posted by Amtrak discussed several service changes, but all I can say is I'm confused as hell. Sometimes the thread only shows your original post and all corresponding responses and now it looks like it's Amtrak's and yours are now together. Anywho, I see that the title was changed, so thanks to whoever did it. :cool: Makes it easier for me to find it, assuming that the thread is indeed now merged.

The link he and I posted are the same. The other service changes, as I listed above are not detailed. Most of them are just scheduling changes anyway. Not service routing changes. The focus are the 3 Queen bus lines.

That link either doesn't work or the site is extremely slow... ;)

Here's what's on the site:

Monday, June 27th

Metro-North & LI Committees Mtg. — 8:30 a.m.

NYCT Committee Mtg. — 10:00 a.m.

MTA Bus Operations Committee Mtg. — 11:15 a.m.

B&T Committee Mtg. — 12:00 p.m.

Finance Committee Mtg. — 12:30 p.m.

CPOC Committee Mtg. — 1:45 p.m.

Audit Committee Mtg. — 3:00 p.m.

Diversity Committee Mtg. — 4:00 p.m.

Wednesday, June 29th

Board Mtg. — 9:30 a.m.

July 2011

Monday, July 25th

Metro-North & LI Committees Mtg. — 8:30 a.m.

NYCT Committee Mtg. — 10:00 a.m.

MTA Bus Operations Committee Mtg. — 11:15 a.m.

B&T Committee Mtg. — 12:00 p.m.

Finance Committee Mtg. — 12:30 p.m.

CPOC Committee Mtg. — 1:45 p.m.

Audit Committee Mtg. — 3:00 p.m.

Safety & Security Committee Mtg. — 4:00 p.m.

Wednesday, July 27th

Board Mtg. — 9:30 a.m.

Last year, I think I spoke at 09:30, but if you try doing it before work, you could try to talk about express buses before the Metro-North meeting at 08:30.

That's what I did to get the board meeting video for the service cut vote. Silly me not to download it!

I do have the SI public hearing vote, though. Approximately how far into the hearing was it?

I spoke at 9:55PM on March 2nd (the hearing ended at about 11:45PM).

One thing that I would suggest is to move the NORTHBOUND Q53 bus stop from the corner of Broadway and 75th St to the soon to be former Q45 bus stop in front of the Terminal, which is the current first stop of the Q45. The SOUTHBOUND leave as is.

Thats one thing I wish they did a long time ago. The stop they have a block or two from the terminal is outright stupid. Stopping it at the former Q45 stop would work wonders, unless of course, if the new Q47 will stop there.

Thats one thing I wish they did a long time ago. The stop they have a block or two from the terminal is outright stupid. Stopping it at the former Q45 stop would work wonders, unless of course, if the new Q47 will stop there.

That's what would most likely happen. The new Q47 would most likely stop at the current Q45 southbound stop (but for Marine Air-bound customers). It would share that stop with the Q53 since most westbound Q53 riders are simply departing the bus, not getting on it. The slip would most likely become the Atlas Park-bound Q47 stop.

far as the Q39 reroute, since the city's goin crazy in one-waying streets in industrial areas as of late, I'm assuming this is the case here... b/c movin buses onto maurice over there (which is often plagued w/ double parked trucks), as opposed to keeping them on 58th, makes matters worse.....

what I think should happen w/ that route is.. instead of turning off on laurel hill, buses should continue down 48th st (instead of its current trek up 58th; that turn onto laurel hill, under the BQE is where buses tend to get stuck)... then have it parallel the Q67... then buses can still undergo these changes that will be implemented on the Q39....

^^ I'll provide a visual reference of what I'm talkin about, shortly....

I would say continue it on Rust to 48th. I've been suggesting this for years, and if they can't use 58th anymore, this should have been the final catalyst to do something like that. Yes, that stretch between Sunnyside and Maspeth is incredibly slow and winding. So now they want to hook it further out of the way? Why even bother running it? They might as well combine it with the 67, and have it go in and out of every little out of the way pocket over there.

That's what would most likely happen. The new Q47 would most likely stop at the current Q45 southbound stop (but for Marine Air-bound customers). It would share that stop with the Q53 since most westbound Q53 riders are simply departing the bus, not getting on It. The slip would most likely become the Atlas Park-bound Q47 stop.

Ok. How can the Q47 share the stop with the Q53? Are you talking about the possibility of BOTH Q47 and Q53 at the Q45 bus stop in front of the terminal?

Ok. How can the Q47 share the stop with the Q53? Are you talking about the possibility of BOTH Q47 and Q53 at the Q45 bus stop in front of the terminal?

Currently, the Q45 shares its last stop with the eastbound Q32. If that could be done, why not? If not, keep the Q53 at 75th St since it's near the entrance to the Queens Blvd lines.

This is how I would route the Q39:

(I've also illustrated the routing changes out in Maspeth; along Maurice av, etc....)

[GMAPS]<iframe width="100" height="100" frameborder="0" scrolling="yes" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=204011070939843183781.0004a67c40993f5e91885&msa=0&ll=40.727877,-73.910522&spn=0.041043,0.06815&output=embed"></iframe>[/GMAPS]

Highlights:

- Truncated from Queensboro Plz. to Court Sq.... the way the current Q39 meanders around & north of Court Sq. I always felt was rather unnecessary (at the very least, unmodernized)... Most riders dip out at (and embark at, heading towards Ridgewood) Court sq/Courthouse sq anyway.... and with the xfer scenario b/w the neighboring subways having gotten that much better, there's no real need for those riders to flock to Queensboro plz. for the (7) or whatever....

- removal off laurel hill blvd b/w 48th & 58th sts., where buses constantly get caught up in traffic under the BQE.... buses would continue past laurel hill, down to 48th st/55th av... and would follow the same travel pattern as the current Q67 up until 55th av/58th st.... gives those industry workers down there a second option (which is much needed IMO, b/c the Q67 is the pits [puttin it nicely]), instead of the current Q39 which cuts through two cemetaries & almost serves much of nothing.... i.e, wasted mileage...

- the definite routing change that will take place on the WB Q39 along Maurice av & 55th dr. later this year....

(just click on either the red or yellow thumb tacks & zoom in on the map)

...anddd, that's pretty much it.

Thoughts?

I'd straighten it even further, following the yellow streets between Metropolitan and Grand (if possible, those might be tight streets), and then keep it on 56th Rd to 48th St. If I really had my way; I'd keep it on Review all the way to Van Dam, but there probably wouldn't be enough demand for it there. But the purpose would be a faster ride for those going from one end to the others. And to straighten up the QP end as well, so that it goes straight out on Queen Blvd to Van Dam.

I also forgot to mention, the report said it would cost $20,000 per year to add the additional distance along Maurice Ave.

either that, or that lane won't be designated for any particular route.... just used for addt'l layover space....

Yep, similar to what they did at 165 St Terminal when the (Q75) was eliminated last year

That's what would most likely happen. The new Q47 would most likely stop at the current Q45 southbound stop (but for Marine Air-bound customers). It would share that stop with the Q53 since most westbound Q53 riders are simply departing the bus, not getting on it. The slip would most likely become the Atlas Park-bound Q47 stop.

That's what I feel is going to happen. I hope this new (Q47) has short turns at Roosevelt Av and Astoria Blvd

I'd straighten it even further, following the yellow streets between Metropolitan and Grand (if possible, those might be tight streets), and then keep it on 56th Rd to 48th St.

If I really had my way; I'd keep it on Review all the way to Van Dam, but there probably wouldn't be enough demand for it there. But the purpose would be a faster ride for those going from one end to the others. And to straighten up the QP end as well, so that it goes straight out on Queen Blvd to Van Dam.

I also forgot to mention, the report said it would cost $20,000 per year to add the additional distance along Maurice Ave.

Thanks for the reply.

Having the Q39 run on on Rust st & Review av all the way to Van Dam would pretty much make it a Ridgewood - Court Sq. shuttle.... I'd still want to keep the route useful on the western half...

far as the stretch b/w Met av & Grand av.... those turns on/off Metropolitan @ Eliot & Forest can be a pain, you're right... only other feasible alternative is to keep buses on Met all the way to Fresh Pond.... far as the turn onto 61st st, it's negligible; that part of Fresh Pond doesn't see as much traffic as say, south of Met. av.....

yep, I saw that 20k per year for that revision.... I wonder how much would be saved if the Q39 were to be cut back to Court Square.....

Currently, the Q45 shares its last stop with the eastbound Q32. If that could be done, why not? If not, keep the Q53 at 75th St since it's near the entrance to the Queens Blvd lines.

That's possible. Might be a bottleneck if BOTH bus routes share that stop but it's possible with what you're suggesting sounds like a good idea.

Yep, similar to what they did at 165 St Terminal when the (Q75) was eliminated last year

Yeah, for about a month or so. That spot for the Q75 is now filled. I forgot which route but that last time I was at the Jamaica Terminal, they closed that spot and put a route there now. I'm thinking the Q77.

You know...with this whole Q45/Q47 merger, I think that the Q47 short-turn COULD be at 74th St Terminal, thus keeping that spot in the terminal occupied. It could be a short-turn especailly now to go back towards Atlas Park/Glendale. That's my two cents.

Archived