Q45/Q47 Merger, Q39 Revision & Other Service Changes

Amtrak7

Does anyone know/remember the lane assignments inside the 74th st bus terminal...

Has it changed, or is it still Q33 (closest to the subway entrance) > Q49 > Q47 ?

...and to whoever mentioned it earlier, I agree... I always felt the Q45 should've taken Woodside av b/w 69th & Broadway....

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anyone know/remember the lane assignments inside the 74th st bus terminal...

Has it changed, or is it still Q33 (closest to the subway entrance) > Q49 > Q47 ?

...and to whoever mentioned it earlier, I agree... I always felt the Q45 should've taken Woodside av b/w 69th & Broadway....

Although I've opposed that since it would mean a longer ride to the (7) from the Glendale end of the route, now that I think about it, having the Q47 take Woodside Av to 75th St wouldn't sound too bad since it would be a bypass of the congested Roosevelt Avenue.

N/B: 69th St, right on Woodside, left on 75th, left on Bway, stops at current S/B Q45 stop, then right on 74th and regular

S/B: 73rd St, left on 35th Av, right on 75th St, stops at a new stop on 75th St at Broadway, then right on Woodside Av, left on 69th and regular.

The only reason why I no longer have the Q47 stopping at one of the Terminal slips is because it would have to make a left back onto Broadway, then turn right to 75th St. That would make an already bad traffic situation worse. As a result, southbound Q47 buses run straight on 75th St between 35th Av and Woodside Av. The stop at Broadway would be across the street from Pacific Supermarket (on the Northwest corner).

Yes, the lane assignments remain the same, with the Q33 closest to the entrance followed by the Q49 and then the Q47.

Yeah, for about a month or so. That spot for the Q75 is now filled. I forgot which route but that last time I was at the Jamaica Terminal, they closed that spot and put a route there now. I'm thinking the Q77.

The (Q77) now occupies that lane that was vacated by the (Q75). It's an empty space between the (Q2) and the N6

Thanks for the reply.

Having the Q39 run on on Rust st & Review av all the way to Van Dam would pretty much make it a Ridgewood - Court Sq. shuttle....

And that's exactly what's needed. Ridgewood is so cut off from the rest of Queens, on every route. Takes way too long; over a half hour just to go a few miles.

I also wanted to see the 45 and/or 18 straightened and extended there as well.

I'd still want to keep the route useful on the western half...

Part of my old plans called for perhaps rerouting the 67 and perhaps other lines extended (104?) to fill in those areas the 39 would be removed from. The western half has plenty of other alternatives, and is close enough as it is to the main Queens corridor. It's the eastern half that is totally screwed; better to take car service for the distance; it's half the time, but about 10 times the cost.

In any case, at least your plan, but 56th to 48th.

far as the stretch b/w Met av & Grand av.... those turns on/off Metropolitan @ Eliot & Forest can be a pain, you're right... only other feasible alternative is to keep buses on Met all the way to Fresh Pond.... far as the turn onto 61st st, it's negligible; that part of Fresh Pond doesn't see as much traffic as say, south of Met. av.....

I spent my whole courtship going between Roosevelt Island and Ridgewood (an hour and a half every time!:mad:) and you lost a lot of time even in that Fresh Pond stretch. Just about every out of the way hook and turn! It was completely horrible. (Thanks now that (L) service is greatly increased, and a 20 min. headway (;) no longer serves Roosevelt Island, so the train is now the better alternative. Back then, it was an hour and and hald by train as well!:mad:)

yep, I saw that 20k per year for that revision.... I wonder how much would be saved if the Q39 were to be cut back to Court Square.....

Or if they just ran it straight, from the plaza down Queens Blvd to Van Dam (Ct. Sq and Thompson another huge time-loser).

Keep forgetting to ask; did/are they having a hearing for these changes?

And that's exactly what's needed. Ridgewood is so cut off from the rest of Queens, on every route. Takes way too long; over a half hour just to go a few miles.

I also wanted to see the 45 and/or 18 straightened and extended there as well.

Part of my old plans called for perhaps rerouting the 67 and perhaps other lines extended (104?) to fill in those areas the 39 would be removed from. The western half has plenty of other alternatives, and is close enough as it is to the main Queens corridor. It's the eastern half that is totally screwed; better to take car service for the distance; it's half the time, but about 10 times the cost.

In any case, at least your plan, but 56th to 48th.

I spent my whole courtship going between Roosevelt Island and Ridgewood (an hour and a half every time!:mad:) and you lost a lot of time even in that Fresh Pond stretch. Just about every out of the way hook and turn! It was completely horrible. (Thanks now that (L) service is greatly increased, and a 20 min. headway (;) no longer serves Roosevelt Island, so the train is now the better alternative. Back then, it was an hour and and hald by train as well!:mad:)

Or if they just ran it straight, from the plaza down Queens Blvd to Van Dam (Ct. Sq and Thompson another huge time-loser).

Keep forgetting to ask; did/are they having a hearing for these changes?

I agree that's what's needed - however, I don't think the Q39 should be that route....

What do I think should fill that need/void? You just said it - The Q67.

THAT's the route I feel should act as the "shuttle" so to speak, b/w Ridgewood, Middle Village, etc. & Court Sq. and/or Queensboro plaza.... I don't know what specific purpose/importance the 67 had back then... but current date, the way I see it, it's antiquated... In plain english, this is me sayin the Q67 physical routing, right this second, is far useless than the Q39.... Q67 usage (well, period, but especially) b/w Middle Village & Maspeth, is poor.....

I think the Q39 should be the only route that serves the industrial part of Maspeth, while still serving Ridgewood the way it does.....

* My question to you then is, if you're tellin me the Q39 should take on the (or similar) routing you propose (down rust, review, up van dam, etc), than what do you think should become of the Q67?

The western half has plenty alternatives - The Q39 is one of them.... I disagree w/ Court Sq. being a "loser"; you'll find more 39 users boarding around court sq. than you do @/around Queensboro plz.....

However, I agree that Thomson's bringin up the rear in terms of usage... let's face it, those college kids don't use the bus; they dam near all come off the subway - whether it be from the (7) @ 33rd, or the (E)(M)(R) over there @ Queens Plz.... I know that b/c I went to school along Thomson (DeVry, when it was there) for almost 3 yrs.... I was one of those folks that came off the (7) @ 33rd..... virtually no one uses the 39 on Van Dam anyway...

so it's like, where else can you put the 39? along Queens blvd under the (7)? en route to QBP; which IMO would be detrimental, considering the traffic nightmare Van Dam often is.. I wouldn't have buses goin up/down Van Dam no longer than what it currently has to......

...far as the Q45 & the Q18, I'm not sure how else you could straighten the southern half of the 45 w/ the way the streets are laid out over there.... The Q18, yeh, I agree 100% w/ the straightening & southward extension of that route.... The Queens routes that serve Ridgewood & middle village are all a mess (well, outside the Q54); it's no accident that the masses all pile onto the Q58....

that's just my .02 cents, bro....

I'm confused and don't know street names much but regarding the 39, will the stretch under the BQE still be after these changes? I ask that because that stretch is killer. and when are these changes going into effect?

That stretch under the BQE is Laurel Hill blvd....

(so someone also agrees w/ me about that part of the Q39....)

The part of the Q39 that'll be affected, is just to the south of the LIE (which is south of the BQE... lol).... so the answer to your first question is a "yes", as that part of the Q39 will be left alone.....

The changes will take effect this September.

That stretch under the BQE is Laurel Hill blvd....

(so someone also agrees w/ me about that part of the Q39....)

The part of the Q39 that'll be affected, is just to the south of the LIE (which is south of the BQE... lol).... so the answer to your first question is a "yes", as that part of the Q39 will be left alone.....

The changes will take effect this September.

Thanks for the info.

That turn onto Maurice from 55th looks incredibly sharp...

today, I tried to wait for the 47 after coming off the 69 (that made a slight detour off ditmars for a couple blocks for some reason), but the 33 came first, so I hopped on it... in the midst of the crowding (@ 7:30am), I actually managed to get a seat.... couple mins. after the b/o discharges all of us, a fight broke out between 2 guys around one of the MVM's inside the station (74th st).... I don't know how it started, as I had my back turned (waiting for the Q45)... really don't know how it ended either, as my bus came.... Having a box of a dozen donuts, I just wanted to sit back down....

anyway, I haven't rode the 45 in a good minute.... granted it's a sunday morning, but to go from end to end in 17 minutes.... had the same driver I had on the 33 no less; homie was singin somethin in spanish, I couldn't help but to laugh.... in any event, I still think buses should be moved onto woodside av instead of its current stint on Roosevelt.... but that'll be all for naught come September....

And AM Peak B46 is getting a bit of extra service too.

I took the 46 coming back home from wbp today; just missed the 44....

anyway, I wish they increase service on NB buses coming out of Kings Plaza after like 8PM.... Standing on flatlands, you'll see a bunch of fillmore bound buses (which pretty much means those buses are done for the day).... twice this week I had to take a dollar van home (once from flatlands & once from av H), and once I ended up walking (from flatlands).... Maybe I need to start taking the BM2 to the junction again, but the B44 is actually worse than the B46 around that same time !

w/ the B46 though, I don't know if it's really lack of service, or these buses constantly (and consistently) bunching at that time, but w/e it is, I wish it stops....

I agree that's what's needed - however, I don't think the Q39 should be that route....

What do I think should fill that need/void? You just said it - The Q67.

THAT's the route I feel should act as the "shuttle" so to speak, b/w Ridgewood, Middle Village, etc. & Court Sq. and/or Queensboro plaza.... I don't know what specific purpose/importance the 67 had back then... but current date, the way I see it, it's antiquated... In plain english, this is me sayin the Q67 physical routing, right this second, is far useless than the Q39.... Q67 usage (well, period, but especially) b/w Middle Village & Maspeth, is poor.....

I think the Q39 should be the only route that serves the industrial part of Maspeth, while still serving Ridgewood the way it does.....

Well, one or the other of them needs to be straightened!

* My question to you then is, if you're tellin me the Q39 should take on the (or similar) routing you propose (down rust, review, up van dam, etc), than what do you think should become of the Q67?

It would either stay the same, or as I said, could be adjusted to fill in for the 39.

The western half has plenty alternatives - The Q39 is one of them.... I disagree w/ Court Sq. being a "loser"; you'll find more 39 users boarding around court sq. than you do @/around Queensboro plz.....

I meant a time loser, for it to start at QBP, then swing around over there, before heading out on Thompson. It should start at Court Sq, then go to QBP. Ct Sq. is basically for (7) riders who don't want to just go the extra stop to QBP anyway.

However, I agree that Thomson's bringin up the rear in terms of usage... let's face it, those college kids don't use the bus; they dam near all come off the subway - whether it be from the (7) @ 33rd, or the (E)(M)(R) over there @ Queens Plz.... I know that b/c I went to school along Thomson (DeVry, when it was there) for almost 3 yrs.... I was one of those folks that came off the (7) @ 33rd..... virtually no one uses the 39 on Van Dam anyway...

Well, then great. The service wouldn't have to be replaced, then.

so it's like, where else can you put the 39? along Queens blvd under the (7)? en route to QBP; which IMO would be detrimental, considering the traffic nightmare Van Dam often is.. I wouldn't have buses goin up/down Van Dam no longer than what it currently has to......

Still, even if Van Dam is slow, the least we could get is the straight run from QBP along Queens Blvd.

...far as the Q45 & the Q18, I'm not sure how else you could straighten the southern half of the 45 w/ the way the streets are laid out over there.... The Q18, yeh, I agree 100% w/ the straightening & southward extension of that route.... The Queens routes that serve Ridgewood & middle village are all a mess (well, outside the Q54); it's no accident that the masses all pile onto the Q58....

that's just my .02 cents, bro....

Yeah; it was hard to figure out what to do with the 45. If that whole Calamus pocket had low enough ridership; I would have probably suggested making the 45 straight down 69th, while the 18 would go straight down 65th, instead of the way they both swing back and forth from one to the other. But there are too many who use it there.

For now; the least they could have done is allow it to reach Myrtle. That was once an idea of the extension to the mall, but someone opposed it or something.

It would either stay the same, or as I said, could be adjusted to fill in for the 39. I meant a time loser, for it to start at QBP, then swing around over there, before heading out on Thompson. It should start at Court Sq, then go to QBP. Ct Sq. is basically for (7) riders who don't want to just go the extra stop to QBP anyway.

Still, even if Van Dam is slow, the least we could get is the straight run from QBP along Queens Blvd. Yeah; it was hard to figure out what to do with the 45. If that whole Calamus pocket had low enough ridership; I would have probably suggested making the 45 straight down 69th, while the 18 would go straight down 65th, instead of the way they both swing back and forth from one to the other. But there are too many who use it there.

For now; the least they could have done is allow it to reach Myrtle. That was once an idea of the extension to the mall, but someone opposed it or something.

You're right on the opposition to the Q45's extension to Myrtle Av. Some homeowners in Glendale did not want "extra traffic or outsiders" in their backyard, doing the usual NIMBY thing. I'd rather have the Q18 go down 69th St since the Calamus Av area is where most of the Q45's pax is at.

It would either stay the same, or as I said, could be adjusted to fill in for the 39. I meant a time loser, for it to start at QBP, then swing around over there, before heading out on Thompson. It should start at Court Sq, then go to QBP. Ct Sq. is basically for (7) riders who don't want to just go the extra stop to QBP anyway.

Still, even if Van Dam is slow, the least we could get is the straight run from QBP along Queens Blvd. Yeah; it was hard to figure out what to do with the 45. If that whole Calamus pocket had low enough ridership; I would have probably suggested making the 45 straight down 69th, while the 18 would go straight down 65th, instead of the way they both swing back and forth from one to the other. But there are too many who use it there.

My idea for the Q18 would be to extend it to Ridgewood, most likely Myrtle/Wyckoff to serve Bushwick. However, it would be rerouted to connect to the 74th St (7)(E)(F)(M)(R) station. This would allow those from Ridgewood and Bushwick to reach Jackson Heights and for them (as well as the Maspeth riders) to connect with the QB Express trains, while retaining access to Woodside LIRR and the <7> at 61st St. This reroute would be while still serving Woodside.

Route: Broadway, 58th St, Roosevelt Av, Broadway, 75th St, Woodside Av, 69th St, Metro Av, Forest Av, Gates Av

As for the now merged Q47, I would just extend it south to Myrtle Av/81st St

for the xfer to the Q55.

Van Dam should not have any local bus service period. It once took me 2 hours to get from 49th Av/Van Dam to the lower level of the Queensboro Bridge (by car). Most of the time we weren't even moving at all.

It would either stay the same, or as I said, could be adjusted to fill in for the 39.

I meant a time loser, for it to start at QBP, then swing around over there, before heading out on Thompson. It should start at Court Sq, then go to QBP. Ct Sq. is basically for (7) riders who don't want to just go the extra stop to QBP anyway.

Still, even if Van Dam is slow, the least we could get is the straight run from QBP along Queens Blvd.

You say that, but I get the sense that you want the Q39 and the Q67 to be this quick link b/w the two areas we've been discussing; that's why I asked you that question....

Whether it's the 39 or the 67, something has to directly serve the industrial area down there....

Van Dam should not have any local bus service period.

This.

Putting buses on Van Dam for any prolonged time period is almost like putting buses on Canal st....

Van Dam is a main road for trucks to travel along & what not, plus it's the main road used for entry/exit off the LIE.....

As for the now merged Q47, I would just extend it south to Myrtle Av/81st St for the xfer to the Q55.

yeah... and for all I care, they can bypass Atlas Mall in the process.... let the Q29 & the Q54 stop there....

in terms of importance, serving an airport > mall; especially a stagnant one....

You say that, but I get the sense that you want the Q39 and the Q67 to be this quick link b/w the two areas we've been discussing; that's why I asked you that question....

Whether it's the 39 or the 67, something has to directly serve the industrial area down there....

yeah... and for all I care, they can bypass Atlas Mall in the process.... let the Q29 & the Q54 stop there....

in terms of importance, serving an airport > mall - especially a stagnant one....

It would just run straight down 80th St like the Q29. But don't underestimate the crowds coming from Atlas, especially from the movies on weekends. I usually go to that theater and use the Q45 (soon the Q47) and it's a lifesaver. It bypasses Queens Center and allows a quicker ride to the (7) and access to the Queens Blvd express trains. Not to mention, the Q45 stunk when it got cut short at Eliot Av prior to 2008, when the Q45 ran every 40 minutes on Sundays.

It would just run straight down 80th St like the Q29. But don't underestimate the crowds coming from Atlas, especially from the movies on weekends. I usually go to that theater and use the Q45 (soon the Q47) and it's a lifesaver. It bypasses Queens Center and allows a quicker ride to the (7) and access to the Queens Blvd express trains. Not to mention, the Q45 stunk when it got cut short at Eliot Av prior to 2008, when the Q45 ran every 40 minutes on Sundays.

That's what I'm alluding to.... run it straight down 80th & bypass that stop along cooper in front of the mall..... I'm sayin, let the Q29 serve that particular stop (where they got the niche carved in it; where the 45 currently turns around @ Atlas)...

Barring whatever we'd like to see happen after the fact, I truly do see this upcoming 45/47 merger working out for the better (so far, I haven't heard any backlash about it).... only thing I'd be worried about, is if they decide later on down the line, to have it serve LGA's main terminal

.....I notice that you're more vocal about, and seem to have a good knowledge for the LGA (depot) routes.... I'd like to see how you would restructure the whole ridgewood, middle village area mess, regarding the alignment of bus routes..... Assuming you agree that a restructuring needs to take place, of course......

That's what I'm alluding to.... run it straight down 80th & bypass that stop along cooper in front of the mall..... I'm sayin, let the Q29 serve that particular stop (where they got the niche carved in it; where the 45 currently turns around @ Atlas)...

.....I notice that you're more vocal about, and seem to have a good knowledge for the LGA (depot) routes.... I'd like to see how you would restructure the whole ridgewood, middle village area mess, regarding the alignment of bus routes..... Assuming you agree that a restructuring needs to take place, of course......

This is my take:

Q18: see above, extended to Ridgewood Terminal

via 58th St, Roosevelt, Bway, 75th St, Woodside Av, 69th St, Metro Av, Forest Av, Gates Av

Q23: extended west to Atlas Park where the Q45 ends, allowing Middle Village/Glendale riders to reach Forest Hills and eastern Queens buses

In addition, runs to LGA to replace Q48 and rerouted via 111th St to serve Hall of Science and connects with (7) at 111th St.

Route: 108th St, 49th/50th Avs, 111th St, Roosevelt Av, 108th St, then Q48 route

Q29: left alone

Q33: extended west to Woodside LIRR Station

Q39: rerouted between Court Square and Forest Av in Ridgewood

This would allow the route to bypass the congested Van Dam Street area, although it would mean a loss of service to the high schools within Devry and Laguardia CC

SB: Jackson Av, 21st St, 49th Av, 30th Pl, 48th Av, 48th St, Rust St, 59th Dr, 60th St, Metro Av, Forest Av

NB: Forest Av, Metro Av, Andrews Av, 59th Pl, 59th Dr, Rust St, 48th St, 48th Av, 30th St, 49th Av, 21st St, Jackson Av

Q45 & Q47: agree with the merger, but extended south to Myrtle Av/81st St and runs via 75th St/Woodside Av to avoid Roosevelt Avenue

For those wanting Atlas, get off at 80th/Cooper in front of the bank like Q29 does.

NB: Q45 route, then Woodside Av, 75th St, Bway (uses current S/B Q45 first stop), 74th ST, then regular Q47 route

SB: Q47 route, then 35 Av, 75th St (stops at a new stop on the near side at Broadway, if the slip is used, making the left turn would become a major pain in the rear end), Woodside Av, 69th St, then Q45 route

Q67: new eastern terminus is LeFrak City

Rerouted east of the Plateau (65th Place area where the Q18 would no longer serve) to serve 57th Av (Queens Center Mall, LeFrak City, and the future site of Maspeth High School on 74th St)

Route: 53rd Drive, 65th Pl, Borden Av, Grand Av, 57th Av, then Q38 route to LeFrak City

Q38: restructured as an Eliot Av route running between Flushing Library and Ridgewood Terminal, replacing Q58 in Flushing

Use new Q51 for Penelope Avenue

Route: Q58 route in Flushing then, LI Expwy, Junction Blvd, 57th/59th Avs, Woodhaven Bl, Eliot Av, 69th St, Metro Av, Forest Av, Gates Av

Q58: new eastern terminus is 31st Av/102nd St, replacing Q23 in Corona

Use Q38 or xfer to (7) at 103rd St for Flushing

New Limited Stops

Junction Blvd/Corona Av

Roosevelt Av/National St or 104th St

then runs local

route: Corona Av, National St, then Q23 route to 31st Av/102nd St

In addition, Q58 LTD is restructured and all Q58's run via 61st St/Grand Av to connect with B57

Runs local between Ridgewood Terminal and Fresh Pond Rd/Putnam Av

Putnam Av/Fresh Pond Rd

Metropolitan Av

Flushing Av/61st St

69th St/Grand Av

74th St

84th St

Queens Blvd South

Justice Av/Broadway

91st Place/Corona Av

Junction Blvd

Roosevelt Av/National St and 104th St

then runs local to 31st Av/102nd St

Q49: extended to 23rd Av/102nd St to replace Q23 on 29th Av/Ditmars Blvd

Q51: new route running between Forest Hills Co-ops and Williamsburg Bridge Plaza via Penelope Av/63rd Drive

Route: Bway, Kent/Wythe Avs, Grand St, Roebling St, Metro Av, Union Av, Grand St, Metro Av, 69th St, then Q38 route to Forest Hills Co-ops

Q69 & Q100: extended south to Court Square to connect with (G) and (E) lines.

Q101: extended west to Penn Station

Q102: becomes a Broadway route running between Rego Park and Roosevelt Island as an alternative to the Queens Blvd locals

Route: Roosevelt Island, Vernon Blvd, Broadway, Queens Blvd

Q104: becomes a 48th St route, filling a gap between Steinway ST and Hobart St and replacing part of B24

Runs between 19th Av/Hazen St and Greenpoint

Route: Hazen St, 20 Av, 49 St, 25 Av, 46/47 Sts, Northern Blvd, 48 St, 43 Av, 47/50 Sts, 47 Av, 48 St, then B24 route to Greenpoint

B48: extended north to Sunnyside/46-Bliss (7) station to replace part of B24

B24: eliminated

I know I got carried away and you only wanted Middle Village/Ridgewood area, but I felt other areas nearby needed restructuring too.

^^ damn that was fast !

I know I got carried away and you only wanted Middle Village/Ridgewood area, but I felt other areas nearby needed restructuring too.

eh, don't stress it bro....

I happen to agree w/ you btw; most of LGA's routes have outdated routings....

I'll get to these in a bit....

Archived