Q45/Q47 Merger, Q39 Revision & Other Service Changes

Amtrak7

My take on your (Cotb's) takes :cool:

^^ http://nyctransitforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=443704&postcount=74

Q18: agreeability - 3/5

I agree w/ a SB extension of that route.... however, I wouldn't send it that far south, and I'm not sure I'd route it the way you would... I'd stop it right dead at the (M) train station (Metropolitan av, first/last passenger stop)... It can pan on down to Fresh pond rd for the turnaround or w/e....

The reason I have the Q18 going all the way to Ridgewood is that if it ends at Metro Av station, the ridership would instantly tank. The route heading to Ridgewood could also prove to be an alternative to the (M) if it breaks down on the Myrtle Line. In addition, this would bolster options for those in the Bushwick/Ridgewood area as the Q18 would lead them to areas such as Jackson Heights and Woodside.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here's what's on the site:

Monday, June 27th

Metro-North & LI Committees Mtg. — 8:30 a.m.

NYCT Committee Mtg. — 10:00 a.m.

MTA Bus Operations Committee Mtg. — 11:15 a.m.

B&T Committee Mtg. — 12:00 p.m.

Finance Committee Mtg. — 12:30 p.m.

CPOC Committee Mtg. — 1:45 p.m.

Audit Committee Mtg. — 3:00 p.m.

Diversity Committee Mtg. — 4:00 p.m.

Wednesday, June 29th

Board Mtg. — 9:30 a.m.

July 2011

Monday, July 25th

Metro-North & LI Committees Mtg. — 8:30 a.m.

NYCT Committee Mtg. — 10:00 a.m.

MTA Bus Operations Committee Mtg. — 11:15 a.m.

B&T Committee Mtg. — 12:00 p.m.

Finance Committee Mtg. — 12:30 p.m.

CPOC Committee Mtg. — 1:45 p.m.

Audit Committee Mtg. — 3:00 p.m.

Safety & Security Committee Mtg. — 4:00 p.m.

Wednesday, July 27th

Board Mtg. — 9:30 a.m.

Last year, I think I spoke at 09:30, but if you try doing it before work, you could try to talk about express buses before the Metro-North meeting at 08:30.

I spoke at 9:55PM on March 2nd (the hearing ended at about 11:45PM).

Thanks! :cool:

For the Q67, it would start at Queens Plaza, but its reroute would be east of Maspeth. But with the Q39 heading on Hunters Point, this could kill the Q67. However, there won't be anything serving the Plateau (65th Place) since the Q18 would stay on 69th St.

I could do this:

Kill the Q67

Keep the Q39 reroute that I proposed in order to bypass Van Dam St and still serve Sunnyside

Reroute the Q59 and terminate it at LeFrak City to replace the Q38 there

Route: Grand Av, Rust St, Maurice Av, 53rd Dr, 65th Pl, Borden Av, Grand Av, 57th Av, then Q38 route to LeFrak.

This would allow the Q59 to have a quicker route from Maspeth to Queens Center Mall and it would fill a crosstown gap between Grand Av and Eliot Av. This could also be crucial in the future since the new Maspeth High School is getting built on 74th St and 57th Av.

As for the Q104, I had it run via 46/47 Sts in order to create an eastern alternative to Steinway St and serve William Cullen Bryant HS, connecting to the Queens Blvd locals at 46th St.

For the Q23, I had it run down to the Atlas in order for those in Middle Village and Glendale to have better transfer opportunities to the routes in Eastern Queens, such as the Q88 and Q64, which would help to increase access to places like Flushing and Queens College. They wouldn't be forced to get on a crowded subway after taking a bus if they needed those places.

As for its northern end, it was only filler to replace the Q48 and its reroute was to connect to the (7) at 111th St and to have a bus serving the Hall of Science.

You WIN buddy. But wouldn't Q104 extension make the rte look like another B24???? that was why I suggested the Q49 via 69th street and queens blvd absorb the B24.

** Cotb's Ideas**

^^ refer to: http://nyctransitforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=443704&postcount=74

- Your Q38, Q51, & Q58 ideas I will have to think more about....

I didn't forget you, Cotb.....

Q38: agreeability= 3/5

I was with you all the way on this, up until you said Forest...

...the riders aren't on Forest, they're on Fresh pond.... this is why the *current* Q58 works, bro.... Have this particular idea implemented, and all you'll see are people makin Fresh pond/Met av an even bigger transfer point than what it already currently is....

btw, what would serve the area along the *current* Q38 b/w Junction blvd/57th av & 60th/Otis??? Or are you just tellin those folks to just take the express bus

Q51: agreeability= 5/5

I'm assuming this is supposed to replace the *current* Q59 (you never said what you'd do w/ the 59 in those long list of ideas you presented).... Yeah, the *current* Q58 is all that's needed along Grand av east of fresh pond, I'll agree w/ you on that...

Q58: agreeability= 1/5

first of all, what does sending Q58's to where the *current* Q49 terminates, solve.... Are you trying to give Corona Plaza shoppers/workers/neighboring residents quicker access to the QB line? that's the only benefit I see from turning Q58's off Corona @ National, and havin it take on the *current* Q23 to astoria blvd....

fam, those swarms of people you see waiting @ the NW corner of HHE/108th are mainly people coming off Q23's, seeking flushing....

It looks to me like you're tryna (equally) divide the ridership on the "Q58" and the "Q51" of yours....

The reason I have the Q18 going all the way to Ridgewood is that if it ends at Metro Av station, the ridership would instantly tank. The route heading to Ridgewood could also prove to be an alternative to the (M) if it breaks down on the Myrtle Line. In addition, this would bolster options for those in the Bushwick/Ridgewood area as the Q18 would lead them to areas such as Jackson Heights and Woodside.

How do you figure it would tank, if it were to be extended?? It's not like the route is painstakingly long....

Hell, the current 18 doesn't get all that much ridership south of Woodside/Roosevelt as it is, b/c it terminates at 69th/Grand.... continue buses southward of grand (along 69th) & just give them access to the (M), and I think those riders would be more than satisfied....

Sending it to Ridgewood Terminal is overkill....

They should also make the Q38 a loop.

Q38 should be broken up into 2 separate routes; the loop is what makes it easier/justifiable to run less service on that route.... It's also one of the main reasons why the Q58 bears the most responsibility (as far as bus service goes) in that part of Queens....

B35 via Church:

I had taken Q69 when it was Q19A on (MTA) Bus trip.

When I took Q19A bus somewhere along 21st St and go to Court Sq, there were few other folks going there as well.

When I took Q69 right after the relable change, after last stop/first stop, it drop off passenger and pickup passenger.

Q69 in Long Island City copy the way M35/M60/Q33/Q47/Q48/Q72, and I even took Q69 few recent ago, and sit 10 minutes at 28th St before returning to Jackson Heights when I was heading to Court Sq Library.

i know ive said this before lol but

Q38 should run from Fresh Pond Road and Metro to Main St Flushing following the Q58 LTD route and stops after 108th St,

A new route should be established for the Eliot Ave portion going from 108th St where the Q58/Q88/Q23 intersect to Fresh Pond Road where the new Q38 would be end.

This would improve headways and reliability on both ends of the route since it would be shortened. besides nobody rides the whole loop from Otis to 108th anyway (I know ive done it before)

Q38 could remain CP (or LGA or w/e since i keep hearing LGA wants the 38 back) and the new route can be based out of FP

How do you figure it would tank, if it were to be extended?? It's not like the route is painstakingly long....

Hell, the current 18 doesn't get all that much ridership south of Woodside/Roosevelt as it is, b/c it terminates at 69th/Grand.... continue buses southward of grand (along 69th) & just give them access to the (M), and I think those riders would be more than satisfied....

Sending it to Ridgewood Terminal is overkill....

It would be good to have the direct service. That would probably draw a lot of riders. the way it is now, having to take the 58 to get to that, nobody bothers.

It would be good to have the direct service. That would probably draw a lot of riders. the way it is now, having to take the 58 to get to that, nobody bothers.

Amen. That's one big reason why I have the Q18 and Q38 run to Ridgewood, to take riders off the Q58. Plus, it would add new riders that are heading to/from the 74th St Transit Hub.

Amen. That's one big reason why I have the Q18 and Q38 run to Ridgewood, to take riders off the Q58. Plus, it would add new riders that are heading to/from the 74th St Transit Hub.

The direct service/straightening along 69th st is all is needed for the Q18.....

What good would the Q18 do around Ridgewood terminal, if it's not appealing to the masses; people still want service along Fresh Pond rd & along grand av - they're gonna take Q58's regardless.....

Regarding the drawing of a lot of riders & cotb's Q18 rendering/idea, I don't agree.... especially lookin at the routing it would make:

Q18: see above, extended to Ridgewood Terminal

via 58th St, Roosevelt, Bway, 75th St, Woodside Av, 69th St, Metro Av, Forest Av, Gates Av

...and the simple fact that Q58 riders aren't just trying to get to Grand av/69th (in this case)... they're riding along Grand av to get to QB....

If you ask me, cotb's "Q18" b/w [Ridgewood term.] & [69th/Grand] is just as circuitous as the Q58 w/i Ridgewood itself; his 18 proposal actually connects to the Q58 twice in the same general area!

No one's gonna take his "Q18" around Ridgewood terminal, to disembark @ Grand, to xfer to the Q58... that doesn't make any sense.....

so where would these lots of riders come from? b/c I really don't see it... I can't see ppl. looking to abandon the Q58 for his extended "Q18"....

This one's directed only to cotb:

Regarding the part of your reply I bolded.... Your "Q38" restructure would do the same thing, if you took it off forest & put it on Fresh Pond rd.....

The direct service/straightening along 69th st is all is needed for the Q18.....

What good would the Q18 do around Ridgewood terminal, if it's not appealing to the masses; people still want service along Fresh Pond rd & along grand av - they're gonna take Q58's regardless.....

Regarding the drawing of a lot of riders & cotb's Q18 rendering/idea, I don't agree.... especially lookin at the routing it would make:

Q18: see above, extended to Ridgewood Terminal

via 58th St, Roosevelt, Bway, 75th St, Woodside Av, 69th St, Metro Av, Forest Av, Gates Av

...and the simple fact that Q58 riders aren't just trying to get to Grand av/69th (in this case)... they're riding along Grand av to get to QB....

If you ask me, cotb's "Q18" b/w [Ridgewood term.] & [69th/Grand] is just as circuitous as the Q58 w/i Ridgewood itself; his 18 proposal actually connects to the Q58 twice in the same general area!

No one's gonna take his "Q18" around Ridgewood terminal, to disembark @ Grand, to xfer to the Q58... that doesn't make any sense.....

so where would these lots of riders come from? b/c I really don't see it... I can't see ppl. looking to abandon the Q58 for his extended "Q18"....

This one's directed only to cotb:

Regarding the part of your reply I bolded.... Your "Q38" restructure would do the same thing, if you took it off forest & put it on Fresh Pond rd.....

I have a better idea:

Q18: new southern terminus is 60th Lane/Cooper Av

same as my other routing from Broadway to Forest Av, then runs on Q39 route to terminal

Q39: runs on Fresh Pond Road to 60th Lane/Cooper Av to avoid delay-producing turns

Q38: remains ending at Ridgewood Terminal via Metro/Forest/Gates as an alternative to the (M) between Middle Village and Ridgewood, just in case that line breaks down.

I have a better idea:

Q18: new southern terminus is 60th Lane/Cooper Av

same as my other routing from Broadway to Forest Av, then runs on Q39 route to terminal

Q39: runs on Fresh Pond Road to 60th Lane/Cooper Av to avoid delay-producing turns

Q38: remains ending at Ridgewood Terminal via Metro/Forest/Gates as an alternative to the (M) between Middle Village and Ridgewood, just in case that line breaks down.

Yep, the Q39 straightening on Fresh pond is another way to go about it... This way, you can have your "Q38" remain on Forest....

The Q18 I would still have stop dead @ the Met. av train station.... but since you're dead set on sendin it southward, I suppose that would be the way to go....

Q58 & "Q39" on Fresh pond....

"Q18" & "Q38" on Forest....

This latest revision of yours I can side with a little more.

It's only fair that I post my musings, regarding that part of queens....

ideas, forthcoming....

Yep, the Q39 straightening on Fresh pond is another way to go about it... This way, you can have your "Q38" remain on Forest....

The Q18 I would still have stop dead @ the Met. av train station.... but since you're dead set on sendin it southward, I suppose that would be the way to go....

Q58 & "Q39" on Fresh pond....

"Q18" & "Q38" on Forest....

This latest revision of yours I can side with a little more.

It's only fair that I post my musings, regarding that part of queens....

ideas, forthcoming....

The Q38 would head to Ridgewood Terminal to take a few more riders away from the Q58. In addition, unlike the Q58, the Q38 serves Queens Center Mall, which would be beneficial for those coming from Bushwick and Ridgewood.

• 4 weeks later...
My idea for the Q18 would be to extend it to Ridgewood, most likely Myrtle/Wyckoff to serve Bushwick. However, it would be rerouted to connect to the 74th St (7)(E)(F)(M)(R) station. This would allow those from Ridgewood and Bushwick to reach Jackson Heights and for them (as well as the Maspeth riders) to connect with the QB Express trains, while retaining access to Woodside LIRR and the <7> at 61st St. This reroute would be while still serving Woodside.

Route: Broadway, 58th St, Roosevelt Av, Broadway, 75th St, Woodside Av, 69th St, Metro Av, Forest Av, Gates Av

As for the now merged Q47, I would just extend it south to Myrtle Av/81st St

for the xfer to the Q55.

This sounds good, but I'd swap the Q18 and Q45/47 south of Calamus Avenue...

- Q18 via 80th Street to either Atlas Park or Myrtle Avenue.

- Q45/47 becomes a "69th Street Crosstown" and is extended initially to Metropolitan Av (M), then later to Ridgewood Terminal.

In the routine service adjustments, aside from making the B46 even more frequent during the AM rush and coming one tiny step closer to axing/consolidating the Bx55 like I mentioned before, what really stuck out to me was the B70. Apparently, it's going from every 12 mins to every 10 mins in the AM Rush, and going from every 30 mins to every 20 mins for most of the weekend. What. Is. This. When they rerouted it, did the (MTA) do something right for once? :eek: :P

This sounds good, but I'd swap the Q18 and Q45/47 south of Calamus Avenue...

- Q18 via 80th Street to either Atlas Park or Myrtle Avenue.

- Q45/47 becomes a "69th Street Crosstown" and is extended initially to Metropolitan Av (M), then later to Ridgewood Terminal.

If the Q18 runs down 69th St, I would reroute it via Roosevelt Av, 75 St, Woodside Av, and 69th St in order to serve the (E)(F) express lines.

My whole point is that the Q45/47 would serve Jackson Heights via 69th Street. If the Q18 serves Jackson Heights, it can't serve Astoria.

The Q18 would still serve Astoria, but instead of running along Woodside Av, it would run on Roosevelt AV to connect to the Queens Blvd express lines.

Archived