The (F) in R46

Calvin

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't blame them they're taking advantage b\c they have really good brakes vs the 46's.

By taking a very heavy brake and making hard stops, they are putting flat spots on the wheels which kills the tracks.

This is great news with the 68s coming back on the (Q) and 46s going back on the (F). Its like the 1990s to late 2000s all over again! Yea, I know its only like three sets on the (F) but its better than nothing.

I wonder if though, what about the terminal issue on the (Q)? That kinda puzzles me as to why the 68s came back there :confused:

You know, sometimes they end @ Astoria... sometimes they end @ 57th Street...

Actually the real reason the R46s were pulled off the (F) was because of the (M) line...which I found asinine in itself as R46s can fit through the cut but whether the T/O has a R46 or R160, if they make the wrong lineup they'd be in a lot of trouble.

Possible, but I still think it had more to do with the (V) being eliminated and the R46s allotted to that line going to the (A) [as well as the (A) eventually being all R46s] had more to do with the (F) being all R160s, but that's just me.

Possible, but I still think it had more to do with the (V) being eliminated and the R46s allotted to that line going to the (A) [as well as the (A) eventually being all R46s] had more to do with the (F) being all R160s, but that's just me.

Not necessarily, as even after the (V) was gone the (F) still had a decent number of R46s on the road for a week or so, but that quickly changed. This was discussed last year.

My attempt to locate the R46 (F) was an epic (F)ail. I did see one at 71st-Continental yesterday, but I didn't have my camera. I searched all over the Culver line today and I didn't see one.

I (F)eel very sorry (F)or your (F)ail at catching the R46 (F). But trying to (F)ind that R46 would be a (F)ail on weekends however.

I (F)eel very sorry (F)or your (F)ail at catching the R46 (F). But trying to (F)ind that R46 would be a (F)ail on weekends however.

LMAO! That had me laughing for a good moment!

Actually the real reason the R46s were pulled off the (F) was because of the (M) line...which I found asinine in itself as R46s can fit through the cut but whether the T/O has a R46 or R160, if they make the wrong lineup they'd be in a lot of trouble.

Wouldn't a possible switch malfunction (for ex. signals say Green over Green but the switch is still leading to the cut) be an issue? Equipment can fail anytime you know. A 160 (F) would just open doors on the first 5 cars and get everybody evacuated that way, but what if a 46 (F) accidentally goes through the cut?

Wouldn't a possible switch malfunction (for ex. signals say Green over Green but the switch is still leading to the cut) be an issue? Equipment can fail anytime you know. A 160 (F) would just open doors on the first 5 cars and get everybody evacuated that way, but what if a 46 (F) accidentally goes through the cut?

The cut is not the main issue at all...75' trains can fit through the cut. The reason why the ban on 75' trains east of Essex Street is because the trains can sideswipe another due to their length when going around certain bends (e.g. entering Marcy Avenue from the bridge). But to answer your question, if an (F) accidentally goes through the cut, whether it's an R46 or R160, the most probable scenario that comes to mind would be that the train would discharge at Essex Street on the (M) Metropolitan Avenue-bound track and relay onto the bridge approach. Then it would have to enter the middle track, the Jamaica Center-bound (J)/(Z) track. From there, who knows...that's why it's a huge problem should such a thing should happen, but the fact that R46s were pulled from the (F) in the first place because of the (M) was stupid (stupid as in it makes no difference because the T/O would still be in deep shit). If it is a switch malfunction, that's understandable, but knowing the way the TA is they'll try to blame the T/O some way.

Good to hear that 46's are on the F again.

(stupid as in it makes no difference because the T/O would still be in deep shit).

Smell that? That's the smell of.........SUCCESS.

If it is a switch malfunction, that's understandable, but knowing the way the TA is they'll try to blame the T/O some way.

Read the iron.

If a home signal gave a green over green yet the switch was reversed, there would be bigger problems then an (F) train going through the cut. It would very serious switch malfunction.

Read the iron.

Try reading the iron when your going almost 30 mph and the signal has a proper aspect. Even by the time you saw the iron, all you could do is dump the train and pray.

Try reading the iron when your going almost 30 mph and the signal has a proper aspect. Even by the time you saw the iron, all you could do is dump the train and pray.

No no, you don't know what I meant when I said that. He said that the MTA would blame the T/O, and I meant that's how they'd blame him.

I honestly can't tell the dif between a 68A or 68. So I'm still baffled by the excitement of it all. But it is nice to see the (F) getting some of its traditional equipment back. I was on a 68 (Q) yesterday and took a shot of it with my iphone just for kicks. I'll be out with my camera today so maybe I'll spot a traditional (F).

According to the new fleet assignments, there should be two trains of R68As on the (D). The R68s on the (G) already have flat wheels because crews are taking very heavy brakes coming into stations, if an R68A ends up there, I would hate to see what happens.

so what are all the new fleet assignments?

I wonder if though, what about the terminal issue on the (Q)? That kinda puzzles me as to why the 68s came back there :confused:

You know, sometimes they end @ Astoria... sometimes they end @ 57th Street...

I guess it being two trains doesn't make it a big deal, as opposed to half the fleet when the R68/As were last on the (Q).

I honestly can't tell the dif between a 68A or 68. So I'm still baffled by the excitement of it all. But it is nice to see the (F) getting some of its traditional equipment back. I was on a 68 (Q) yesterday and took a shot of it with my iphone just for kicks. I'll be out with my camera today so maybe I'll spot a traditional (F).

One easy way to tell between an R68 and an R68A is the front and back doors. The 68's have doors that you can swing open (T/O and C/R) and those on the 68a's u just slide it open. Another way is the car numbers: R68's are those around the 2,000s and R68a's are those of 5000s.

Archived