Same Sex Marriage Bill Passes the Senate

tvega961

ALBANY -- Gay marriage will become legal in New York state after the Republican-led state Senate voted to approve it.

Advocates are calling it a historic step as New York stands to become the sixth but by far the largest state to legalize same-sex marriage.

Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo lobbied hard for the bill and has promised to sign it.

The Senate vote is viewed as a major gain in an effort to allow gay marriage nationally.

It comes the day after President Barack Obama encouraged lawmakers to support gay rights during a fundraiser with New York City's gay community.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/politics&id=8205103

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was on the fence on this and still am. I was raised that homosexuality is wrong but having met a lesbian chick in high school, she basically showed me that they're not freaks or anything and that it's not a big deal. My attitude on it is, hey to each their own. Who am I to tell others who they should and shouldn't love? ;)

I'm really on the fence about this. A year ago, I vehemently opposed gay marriage. However, the tutor who helped me pass Torts was a lesbian. I can't stab her in the back by opposing gay marriage.

We just have to live with the gays and lesbians. + Gays got what they wanted

Though the only thing I'm happy about is I no longer have to listen to this crap; I'm going to be the somewhat negtive person here, because I think this opens a can of worms.

where do we draw the marrige line? i do not want to be walking down the street and have someone ask me if I support someone marrying their dog...

No gay for me! Id rather marry my dog then marry the same sex as me. No offense gays. Gay/Lesbian people still are nice.

Let them. For all I should care.

Good for you. Not your judgment to make it illegal for someone else though.

I don't particularly care if Man-Man Marriage is illegal. I prefer it to be though.

Good Thing about this; Rights for Gays too

Bad; There will be a zillion gay marriages. When I walk outside I don't want some gay couple sitting on the doorsteps. This might become annoying to the straights.

And are you sure you would let any marriage be legal. So you'd let a man marry a dog or a tiger marry a girl. Think of al the possibilities. And we'd thank you for it. Now do you want to change your mind? What about marrying Bugs Bunny? How would you think about someone doing that?

Though the only thing I'm happy about is I no longer have to listen to this crap; I'm going to be the somewhat negtive person here, because I think this opens a can of worms.

where do we draw the marrige line? i do not want to be walking down the street and have someone ask me if I support someone marrying their dog...

Exactly, if they just called it a civil union, then fine. I don't get what the whole damn uproar is over the word 'marriage'. That should be left up to religious institutions [which I'm glad are exhempt from this law-in the sense some couple could use such a denial as grounds for a lawsuit].

Where will it end indeed, poligamy, beastiality? The idea of a marriage is for a natural conception of a family, not an adoption of a baby... but hey, I'm a traditionalist on this issue. So sorry if I'm not going to be in total support over this.

Agreed on the MTA part, they continue to cut funding and still force the student metrocards on them because of political pressure.

True.

=

ftr, I'm not against gays and lesbians getting hitched. I just hope that if they do marry it is because they want to be with each other and not for the benefits.

Are you really that stupid, or is it just a cute act?

Archived