[#5025- Bus Operator] Just got the letter!

Acela Express

Thanks, bro.

I just had a random thought, but I'm thinking perhaps they rearranged the August 1st class to accommodate some of the 5025 people (thus bumping some of those 8006 to the next class), because a medical appointment almost 2 and 1/2 weeks before the actual class seems pretty odd. From what I've read here, and rookies I've spoken to - their gap wasn't so big between medical and 1st day at Zerega.

Like I said, just a thought.

That is not a bad thing because you will have a lower list number then

everybody else from the 8006 list who gets in the August 15th class.

Getting into the depot of your choice is very important. It has to suck

to get sent somewhere where you don't want to go to.

Your 1 year probation is the most important part of your career.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I know this, Locomotion69.

However, I just don't know how many people from #5025 have restored their name to the list the same time I did. From what I saw in the sign-in sheet during the BOSS session, some of these guys have high list numbers than I do. Now, where do they live? I don't know. Whos knows - I could be the only one from Brooklyn, giving me the upper hand during the depot pick.

But, back to the class arrangements. I suppose I'll find out what day they have set in stone for me on Monday morning. August 1st would be quite awesome.

I've been riding the bus to my destinations these days and watching the way these guys are driving. I know it's not the same as being in the seat, but gives me an idea on what things to look out for - how to make turns; keeping 4-ft away from parked cars to avoid collisions; and etc, etc..

Chance and skill favors the prepared mind.

Good afternoon folks,

180 Livingston just called 5 minutes ago. I have a medical appointment on Monday, July 25th at 7:30am; and must bring food as I'll be down there all day.

Things are on the move, guys. :-)

You won't be down there all day if you get there early(6:00am-6:30am).

I have heard of people getting out by noon before.

That should be your last visit to 180 Livingston St if all goes well.

I believe they send people there for the random drug tests for current employees.

Somebody on here advised not to eat(12+hrs) anything before the medical,

issue regarding your blood pressure. But if you skip breakfast which is the most

important meal of the day you will feel weak. That sucks that they don't let you go outside,

I wonder if they let you order food from a local place and have it delivered.:cool:

Yeah, I know this, Locomotion69.

However, I just don't know how many people from #5025 have restored their name to the list the same time I did. From what I saw in the sign-in sheet during the BOSS session, some of these guys have high list numbers than I do. Now, where do they live? I don't know. Whos knows - I could be the only one from Brooklyn, giving me the upper hand during the depot pick.

But, back to the class arrangements. I suppose I'll find out what day they have set in stone for me on Monday morning. August 1st would be quite awesome.

I've been riding the bus to my destinations these days and watching the way these guys are driving. I know it's not the same as being in the seat, but gives me an idea on what things to look out for - how to make turns; keeping 4-ft away from parked cars to avoid collisions; and etc, etc..

Chance and skill favors the prepared mind.

I haven't been riding buses although I should, at least the RTS buses.

But I also observe when they are making turns, pulling into and out

of bus stops, etc.

But like you said it's not the same as being in the seat.

I even downloaded city bus simulator 2010 http://www.citybussimulator.com/index.php?id=291&L=1

Just to get the feel of it and used to the different sounds,

using the kneeler, different views and angles with the mirrors,

but it gets boring driving the same route(M42), LOL

I did have problems pulling out of bus stops where I clipped the parked car

in front but I did master pulling into the bus stops and being around 6 inches

close to the curb. It did get easier as time went along.

I sure wish they let us use the simulator at Zerega before we have to

report there.

The past three appointments at 180 Livingston, I've always maintained an hour before my report time, no matter what. It's called, "I plays no games!"; and it pays to be early. The second drug this past Tuesday; there were about triple the amount of applicants (about 65, give or take), but some were there for Cleaner positions, and perhaps others. However myself and an Italian gentleman were in and out before 9:00am.

But of course, that was for the drug tests.

Following a rule of "no eating" 12-hours prior is pretty fukking stupid, IMO. lmao!

As you said, you'd be weak. I'm thinking to stick with breakfast bars - something from Kelloggs preferably. It's something small, and will do throughout the day.

I've been riding with my relatives mostly but they operate C40LFs mostly; but for the RTS riding, I'm mostly sticking to those on the B6 and B44, though an occasional NG or Nova LFS may come, which isn't a problem too.

Good afternoon!

Went down for the medical appointment this morning, and 6 1/2 hours later - I'm hired! Medical was a breeze between the hearing test; EKG/blood pressure; urine exam for diabetes; then finally the vision exam. Everything was a piece of cake.

I also had the pleasure of meeting boxeraf this morning.

There was also another gentlemen who was placed on Medical Hold since March 2011; he finally qualified today, but starts on August 1st, from the 8006 exam.

Anyway, everything went exceptionally well.

Reporting to Zerega Training Facility at 7:00am (and not a minute after!) on August 15th.

MTA Passes will be issues on first day at Zerega.

I made it through hiring; it feels great!

Thanks for all the assistance on the forums thus far!

Good afternoon!

Went down for the medical appointment this morning, and 6 1/2 hours later - I'm hired! Medical was a breeze between the hearing test; EKG/blood pressure; urine exam for diabetes; then finally the vision exam. Everything was a piece of cake.

I also had the pleasure of meeting boxeraf this morning.

There was also another gentlemen who was placed on Medical Hold since March 2011; he finally qualified today, but starts on August 1st, from the 8006 exam.

Anyway, everything went exceptionally well.

Reporting to Zerega Training Facility at 7:00am (and not a minute after!) on August 15th.

MTA Passes will be issues on first day at Zerega.

I made it through hiring; it feels great!

Thanks for all the assistance on the forums thus far!

Congrates bro, and welcome to the MTA and all the BS as far as the road go comes with it lol. Good luck and take your time is the key.

Thanks, transit bx.

It definitely pays to be early when called down to 180 Livingston, or else you're going to be wait til you die. Or til they close. Whichever comes first. :-p

My paperwork says I need to catch a Bronx-bound 6 train, get off at Castle Hill Avenue Station, then the Bx22 to Castle Hill and Lafayette Avenues, then walk two blocks to the facility.

MTA's Trip Planner says I can actually catch the A train to Broadway Junction, transfer to the J train, get off at Jamaica Center for the Q44 into the Bronx. Reporting at 7am to Zerega - I'll probably have to leave bout 4-4:15am just so I can secure my timing with an hour early - 6:00am.

BTW, quick question: is anyone familiar with the Nike ACG boots? I'm looking to wear these. My appointing officer said it's OK, but just trying to get an second opinion for the employees here. (Not seeking to get mocked on by the instructors, lol.) The paper titled, "Bus Operator Orienation Day" states: Shoes - medium type work shoes, with laces (black) no slipper type shoes. --- I suppose the ACGs would be OK ...

Thanks, transit bx.

It definitely pays to be early when called down to 180 Livingston, or else you're going to be wait til you die. Or til they close. Whichever comes first. :-p

My paperwork says I need to catch a Bronx-bound 6 train, get off at Castle Hill Avenue Station, then the Bx22 to Castle Hill and Lafayette Avenues, then walk two blocks to the facility.

MTA's Trip Planner says I can actually catch the A train to Broadway Junction, transfer to the J train, get off at Jamaica Center for the Q44 into the Bronx. Reporting at 7am to Zerega - I'll probably have to leave bout 4-4:15am just so I can secure my timing with an hour early - 6:00am.

BTW, quick question: is anyone familiar with the Nike ACG boots? I'm looking to wear these. My appointing officer said it's OK, but just trying to get an second opinion for the employees here. (Not seeking to get mocked on by the instructors, lol.) The paper titled, "Bus Operator Orienation Day" states: Shoes - medium type work shoes, with laces (black) no slipper type shoes. --- I suppose the ACGs would be OK ...

Yea acg boots is ok I wear them, and your coming from bk so ill do what ever is closer but come early they don't play when it comes towards time.

Acela Express: If I were you I would either take a car service to Zerega

or try to carpool with somebody else that is going on the 15th.

It's only for 1 day. But you do what you think is best. Most definitely try

to carpool when you have to do your qualifying at a depot that is far from where you live.

I wonder what list #'s are in the August 1st class, it has to be pre #461.

Yea acg boots is ok I wear them, and your coming from bk so ill do what ever is closer but come early they don't play when it comes towards time.

Thanks.

TA and myself have a lot in common then when it comes to time. :-)

Acela Express: If I were you I would either take a car service to Zerega

or try to carpool with somebody else that is going on the 15th.

It's only for 1 day.

I rather take mass transportation; and besides, they give us free passes for a reason, so why take car service? We're talking an easy $40-50, one way. Don't think so, cheif. lol

And they advised employees / trainees not to drive there as there's limited to no parking in the area, thus the free passes for mass transport.

We'll be at Zerega more than one day, depending on the depot we're training at afterwards.

You get a MTA pass after you go on day 1 but not before, I remember

one guy lived in Yonkers and he had to go to Fresh Pond depot for

training, about 1 1/2 hr commute, woke up around 3:00am.

Having a car is not a must but it sure does make things a little easier.

There is parking but on the side streets. At least it's summer and you

won't be waiting for a bus in the freezing cold. I think it's better to be

learning how to drive a bus the MTA way in the summer then in the winter.

C H I E F:cool:

You get a MTA pass after you go on day 1 but not before

My point exactly. There's a reason they give us a pass on the first day, so if I'm scheduled in a depot somewhere in west bubblef**k I wouldn't have to pay. An easy $2.25 one way is hell-of-lot easier than paying that cab fare. Wouldn't you agree (financially)? :cool:

BTW, I saw your post in the 8006 thread regarding my yesterday's appointment of what time I'd be leaving 180; made it out at 1:00 PM --- an hour after your prediction. :P Still not bad. No Medical Hold, no nothing.

I'll keep things updated.

Thanks everyone.

I thought I could write in and say I will be joining you Acela and by the way good luck on Aug 15th at Zerega. I live in the Bronx so I am not far away from that place, in fact I pass it quite often. Did medical today and tried to find out others list numbers and found out that all had lower numbers than me. There were not a lot of people their today just mostly medical. Some were on medical hold from back in March and some had to do medical again and it also seemed that all I spoke to had the same thing I went through with having to get their names restored to the list. As for myself I was placed on medical hold because of a hospital stint from 2006 that I thought would not be a big deal but guess again. The MTA doctor gave me some papers to give to the doctor from back then and wants a report and told me as soon as I get it to bring it in ASAP. Luckily today when I got home around 11:30 I found the doctors office I was thinking if he was not around anymore this could be a problem but I lucked out.I ran over there and gave it to the ladies working there and my record was still on file so they told me the doctor will fill out the report but it may take a few days and will call me when it is ready to pick up.I will say on top of it because if the doctor takes forever now I have a problem. I guess another detour just hope it is not long.

NYWBRR,

Wow; sorry to hear about that.

I do have a question: how did they find out about the 2006 hospital admission? Did you tell them? If so, that was the wrong move. Everything they ask you regarding your health, the answer should ALWAYS be no; they use it against you. And that's what this sounds like. The questionaires they ask on the computer - all answers are "no".

Did you pass the exams given to you during the medical? e.g. hearing, vision, blood pressure & EKG.

NYWBRR,

Wow; sorry to hear about that.

I do have a question: how did they find out about the 2006 hospital admission? Did you tell them? If so, that was the wrong move. Everything they ask you regarding your health, the answer should ALWAYS be no; they use it against you. And that's what this sounds like. The questionaires they ask on the computer - all answers are "no".

Did you pass the exams given to you during the medical? e.g. hearing, vision, blood pressure & EKG.

Acela , DONT misinform people !

Somethings you should not lie about.

Acela , DONT misinform people !

Somethings you should not lie about.

The questionaires? They are surveys - not verifyable. It's why they are called questionaires.

Unless I'm missing something? You don't lie on official documents - that I would agree.

If something came up during the tests given during medical, then you may have to disclose certain information; but if everything's 100%, then you don't need to go any further with disclosing information as it will lead to a "Medical Hold", thus NYWBRR situation now.

Other operators (even my relatives who are operators) would agree on the same synposis.

Olegkha,

I hear you on what you're saying, bro, and not saying you're wrong.

Perhaps I should've reworded my post a bit differently.

There's certain documents you can easily say "no" on. If you have markings on your body that comes from past surgery, then of course you would have to be honest with yourself and the doctors about your condition, in detail. However, there's certain questions which are not 'verifyable', or they won't search more into detail.

Now during the hiring process, MTA isn't going to dig through your medical history (and this comes from a line of operators and Superintendents I've spoken to in the past) unless it's absolutely necessary -- such as you saying "no" on certain questions, and you failed certain parts of the exam. You'll definitely have some questions to answer to.

Either way, I'm not trying to sound as a "know-it-all", but sharing my vast knowledge for some members to think about. It's nothing misinformed.

Anyways, good luck to NYWBRR.

Sorry to interrupt gentlemen, but this is related to this thread.

I was born with clubbed thumbs, if you don't know what that is

it's that both of my thumbs are shorter and wider then normal.

It's not considered a disability, and I have been driving since I was

16(25 years with a near perfect record, only 1 at fault accident when

I was 19. I have held jobs that required the use of my hands and never

had an issue, one co worker used to call me "stubbs" lol

But this is the MTA and they are a different animal so to

speak. There is no surgery to fix this. By the way Megan Fox also

has clubbed thumbs so I am in good company. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Good afternoon guys.

Today was the first day at Zerega Facility for Orientation Day. Everything went pretty smooth today with everyone there, for the most part.

To answer a few questions: the 8/15 class is only 36 students.

Depots were split between: [4] to MJQ; [4] to LaGuardia; 2 sets of [4] to Jamaica; [4] to Grand Avenue; [3] to Ulmer Park; [4] to Queens Village; [4] to Fresh Pond; and [4] to Flatbush. There's [1] who's switching from Long Island Bus to TA and going directly to a depot of his choice, excluding the training. 35 + [1] = 36 students.

Report times are between 8:00AM, 8:30AM and 9:00AM.

It looks like the entire class was TA, mostly from the #8006 exam; 3-4 of us from #5025.

We're all onboard.

Archived