[#5025- Bus Operator] Just got the letter!

Acela Express

Thanks for the responses everyone.

SimMan - we all complained about the horn, but we asked if it was possible to take the bus out of service, which of course he answered [see previous post]. But, also, it made no sense because it only got worse on our "pull-in" trip, so why would he call it in, switch buses when we're already going back to the depot, you know? Logic. No one did anything to step on his toes.

As for Day 3 -

Let's just say I did a complete 180 degree from Day 2, according to my instructor. "My man, you came to be a bus operator today!". I took inventory for Day 2 operations and came back with the strong mental game and it worked out for the best. Again, Supt. Stewart is possibly the best instructor anyone can get.

A word to future classes: you're absolutely lucky to have him if you're assigned.

As a matter of fact, all 4 of us made huge improvements using our learning experience. It's a good thing having moral support from everyone, and we share the value of support whenever one of us in the seat. It helps.

We went back to Spring Creek Depot again for simulation with El Pillars which we all did well. Everything there took no more than 15-20 minutes. It was short, and he wanted to get us back into the bus for more driving. Stewart is eager to see each one of us pass on Day 7.

Back at the bus, still in SC's parking lot, we learned the NovaBus' wheelchair operation which was rather easy, and a quick 7-9 minute process along with the lectures behind it.

As we left, one of the Jamaica groups showed up to do the same (simulation).

The first classmate who drove us from the depot to SC also drove us to Euclid and Pitkin where we changed drivers, and I hopped into the seat.

After carefully adjusting my mirrors, seating, steering wheel and overall confidence, I came out strong at the end.

Call all hazard signs, potential hazards and anything else you feel should be mentioned because DMV will want to know this overall. It's best to get in with extra credit than nothing at all.

After entering Queens, we followed the Q8 route for a bit. We did service stops along the route, in which I aced with coming into the curb perfect, lining up the bottom-middle of the windshield with the curb, kneeling, etc., etc.. and the infamous instructor's hand in the door. lol He didn't catch me, but the other 3 were rusty with it as his hand got caught in the doors. Future classmates: watch out for it, they WILL do this.

The service stops were pretty quick, then we went off to Ozone Park, then under the Liberty EL, then into Jamaica where I experience much traffic, difficult turns at busy intersections, and so forth. Then I was relieved somewhere in Jamaica.

The student after me took us into Flushing via Kissena Blvd., then took lunch on Roosevelt and Main, next to the Macys.

It was my first time in Flushing and it was completely different part of Queens, sorta like a mini-Manhattan which is why Stewart took us over there. It's starting to be like a walk-in-the-park dealing with traffic, high volume of pedestrians, and that sorta thing.

Overall, great day.

Oh, all but one minor error I made - there was one instance on Cross Bay Blvd. where I missed scanning my right side mirror for about 30 seconds according to my instructor. lol It's cool though. It's only getting better.

Day 3's performance sheet - full of satisfactories; only one unsatisfactory for the mirror error.

BTW, did I mention that we had the same bus again? #9618.

Was the horn fixed? YES! :cool:

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That must have felt great to hear your instructor say that.

Does he sit or stand next to you? he uses a hand brake right?

Does every student have to call out road hazards? even those who

already have their CDL's?

Glad they fixed the horn, one less distraction.

I know for sure that if the horn doesn't work at all, the bus has to be taken out of service, probably even a 19-A violation as well.

You were at Rosey and Main St? That is Bus Central.

When do you go into the city? day 4 or day 5?

Do all bus depots have training simulators or just a few?

I hope you get the same bus throughout the rest of your training.

One more day and then you have the weekend to unwind and prepare

to qualify next week. Thanks for the very informative reports.:tup:

That must have felt great to hear your instructor say that.

It did, but glad he points out my flaws in a way where I take serious inventory on it and come back strong. He knows ours weaknesses and strong points by now.

We all know what we have to do. He said just understand the fundamentals behind the process, and with anything else in life, and you'll achieve anything. He used Michael Jordan as an example for legendary career in the NBA. It's all about understanding and executing.

That's all.

Does he sit or stand next to you? he uses a hand brake right?

He stands in the front step-well with the trolley connected to the first pole next to the first seat on the right of the bus. He keeps his arm around the pole just in case he needs to pull it, which was only once since we started, and that was with another classmate yesterday.

Does every student have to call out road hazards? even those who already have their CDL's?

Yes, each of us must call out the hazards. The one person with the CDL is being treated no different from us permit guys.

You were at Rosey and Main St? That is Bus Central.

When do you go into the city? day 4 or day 5?

Yep, right over there. We parked adjacent to the Macys and got something to eat.

We go to Upper Manhattan on Monday and Lower Manhattan on Tuesday.

Day 4 is going to be EL Pillars on Stillwell Avenue along with some more driving.

Do all bus depots have training simulators or just a few?

I hope you get the same bus throughout the rest of your training.

One more day and then you have the weekend to unwind and prepare

to qualify next week.

I don't know how the simulators' locations; I just know Spring Creek has one on their 2nd floor, and Zerega has one too.

The bus given to us is by the Yard Dispatcher, and if he's giving us the same one on purpose I'm not sure. I know when I arrive at 4:30AM I have to stand-by while he gives his other runs the buses "up front" before he can assign me one, which turned out to be 9618 again. Our first training bus - 9655 - was also on the tracks this morning. I'll see what he assigns when I'm in tomorrow.

I'm in hopes we can operate one of the 1999 Nova's - the 5100s.

Well I'm glad everybody so doing good and once again GOOD LUCK the war aint over till the fat lady sings lol. By the way my instructor was mr. Vasquez and he's a real good instructor. So once again keep up the good work and on days 5 and 6 is the real test to see if you will qualify on day 7 which you must also perform well.

Good afternoon fellas,

Yesterday we finally did the EL Pillars on Stillwell Avenue and 27th Avenue, about 3 blocks from Ulmer Park Depot. We all did well. It was an experience trying to pivot in and out with traffic, but we did it. I just wished the RTS' we're using had the secondary mirror to see everything on our right-side of the bus instead of just the back tire and such. It helps.

Then we took a pitstop at Ulmer Park along with a tour. I never realized how old the depot was. lol

After leaving, we headed back to Spring Creek area for some parallel parking and straight backing, the way DMV wants it done. Again, everyone did well.

During some of my driving yesterday, I did well, but caught two errors: as I simulated service stops, at Utica and Flatlands, I went to close the door and the instructor finally caught me closing the front door on his hand because I wasn't looking. lol He hit me on the progress reports, but it was my one and only time for the week he got me opposed to the other classmates.

The second error was at Flatlands and East 80th, as I was setting up a right turn for 80th, I started inching into the turn, but the crosswalk wasn't clear, though the lady was two feet from stepping onto the curb, and as she got onto the curb there was a guy who was walking into the opposite direction coming into the crosswalk, which I admit I didn't see. I wasn't moving fast at all, about 2-3mph, definitely slow enough to stop the bus. It wasn't anything near-fatal, but he wanted me to make sure I understand the regulations of yielding to pedestrians in crosswalk.

That's all. My driving was good and cautious.

It's getting easier.

Day 5 on Monday, in Manhattan.

Stay tuned.

You must have your CDL permit - Class B and regular driver's license before reporting to 180 Livingston - their employment office.

MTA schedules your road test after 7-10 day qualification day with DMV at Zerega.

You'd be surprised, many of those with CDLs already don't make it because of bad habits, and the instructors make it that much harder since you should already "know better". When they hire those without a CDL it's easier for MTA to train them mentally to avoid mistakes that could end up as a fatal scene and such.

It's just how it goes.

So for those of us who got their CDL's awhile ago but never held

a CDL related job it's best to tell the instructor this. It's the same

thing really as just having a CDL permit.

Driving for a few hours on a school bus so you can prepare for the

DMV road test doesn't constitute having CDL experience to me.

Yes, I have heard of plenty of people who have years of CDL

driving experience not qualify to drive for the MTA. I think the

trainers can tell right off the bat who has CDL driving experience

and who doesn't.

Ready for the city? traffic should be lighter then normal at this time

of the year. But you will have to deal with a big problem in the city,

the cyclists, the silent scooters, the skaters....most of these people

don't stop or yield to anybody.

You'd be surprised, many of those with CDLs already don't make it because of bad habits, and the instructors make it that much harder since you should already "know better". When they hire those without a CDL it's easier for MTA to train them mentally to avoid mistakes that could end up as a fatal scene and such.

It's just how it goes.

I'm glad everything is going well Acela! Thanks for posting this for those of up coming in behind you!:tup:

I can tell you now, When my time comes they are gonna have my ass for breakfast. I'm been driving buses for so long....I'm used to setting the mirrors my way, driving how I feel comfortable. And the fact that I have to give up my gloves seems sacrilegious! But I guess it's for the greater good.

Before you can graduate and be released in passenger service solo, you must have a Class A or B License, with nor air brake restriction and a passenger endorsement.

This is what walks through the door on Orientation Day:

* Where you see “with the above,” it is referring to the first paragraph

- Bus Operators (Current employees) who have been out for a while on medical etc... who are equipped with the above and may need a refresher. (Obviously no CDL road test needed.)

- New hire Bus Operators who have the above while working with another Bus Company. (Obviously no CDL road test needed.) Must adapt to the training centers way of driving in 7, 9 or 10 days or gone!

- New hires who obtained the above through a driving school. (Obviously no CDL road test needed.) Must adapt to the training centers way of driving in 7 9 or 10 days or gone!

- School Bus Operators, If they come with the above, they must adapt to the training centers way of driving in 7, 9 or 10 days or gone! (Some will need a CDL road test because they arrive with a restriction in the number of passengers they can transport.)

- Those arriving without CDL experience and must have in their possession a CDL permit with the already mentioned endorsement and without an air brake restriction. (The majority of the class falls into this category) They will take a CDL road test midway through depot line training provided they can qualify by their instructor within the 10 maximum training days required.

All the best!

* Arriving with the above means nothing unless you can qualify for your instructor, period!

You must have your CDL permit - Class B and regular driver's license before reporting to 180 Livingston - their employment office.

MTA schedules your road test after 7-10 day qualification day with DMV at Zerega.

It's just how it goes.

So, after you pass Zerega's road test and DMV's road test and get a full CDL, what's next?

So, after you pass Zerega's road test and DMV's road test and get a full CDL, what's next?

3 weeks of line training with a senior B/O. He or she will be sitting

next to you and you will be learning all of the routes from that depot.

If all goes well, then after that you are on your own, going solo.

New Bus Operator training is a 6 week 30 day ordeal from Orientation Day to Graduation Day broken down as follows:

Weeks 1 and 2 = Training Bus (10 days)

Weeks 3 and 4 at your depot for line training (10 days)

**************CDL Road Test****************

Weeks 5 and 6 at your depot con't line training (10 days)

***Keep in mind that after the CDL Road Test there is still line training before graduation. Do not believe because you pass your CDL Road Test that you are out of the woods. There is usually approx 2 weeks of line training still to complete. The only indicator that you will be going on your own is when you are sitting in Graduation class not when you pass your CDL Road Test.

All the best!

Thank you, BZGuy. It always a pleasure to give back.

Amtrak7, there's a bunch of stickies on top of this forum so you can get an idea of what's needed. Also, check a few previous threads out even from 3 years ago - a lot of great information from fellow members.

Locomotion69 - yes, I'm ready for the city. As a matter of fact, after posting this, I'm heading to bed; I have a 0600 report, but always get there at 0430 to see what bus we'll be using, reviewing ALSAPS, and more.

And thanks, SimMan, for your informative posts the past few weeks.

It helps.

Will update tomorrow for Day 5 progress.

SimMan: Every one of your posts is worth saving to the documents folder.

Are you a retired B/O or are you OTJ?

If he told us, he'd have to kill us. I think. :-p

Well, evaluation week is here, starting with today - Day 5.

Started in Flatbush at 0600 with our Supt. driving us to the starting point at 126th Street Depot, where the first student got in, drove from 126th and 2nd Avenue, left on Lexington, right on 96th Street, right on Park Avenue, right on 97th Street, left on Madison, left on 96th Street, right on Lexington, right on 86th Street, left at 5th Avenue, right into the 86th Transverse Rd. via Central Park, right on Amsterdam, left at 91st Street, left on West End Avenue, right on 79th and all the way to the end.

(Hope I got all the turns right. lol)

The first student and myself did the run above, and the other two did the runs from West to East, but forget the streets taken.

Some real, real tight turns.

I did everything well except there was a dual intersection at Broadway and 96th I think where there was a upcoming red light in which I was in the middle of everything but thought it would've been safer to push on through, which I did. But of course that messed me up. Blah! Supt. said that would've been OK in a general sense since I didn't want to have my back in the intersection, but I would've failed the DMV road test I did that, so he hit me with that. But everything else went sexy.

After my run, he spoke to me about everything and said just come strong tomorrow like I did today, and just stop when anything looks doubtful as the red light scenario.

Onto Day 6!

BTW, saw training buses from Fresh Pond, one Jamaica bus, and Quill.

You actually get to the depot at 0430 hrs? How do you spend all of that time until you pullout from the depot? how do you stay awake? lol

Tomorrow going downtown I figure. Today was the 1st day where it

really mattered, you need to do well 2 out of 3 training days to pass if I remember correctly.

Too bad they don't let you wear driving gloves, are sunglasses allowed?

Which turns have you found to be the most challenging so far? left or right?

Haha! I do a lot of reading, talking with the Yard Dispatcher, and just getting overall knowledge on the bus on my own - pre-trips and such. I also do a bit of meditating before my group arrives. It helps a bunch.

The Supt. doesn't tell you need to pass 2 of the 3 days on evaluation week; he basically says you just need to come clean tomorrow and bring it. So everything needs to be spotless tomorrow cause it really counts; and on Wednesday we'll be back in Brooklyn which should be relatively easy, as we all agreed.

He'll sign our papers blindfolded.

None of the turns are really hard, it's just keeping the formula for turns - the reference points, setting them up correctly, and you'll be OK. Make sure you setup your turns mentally and then execute. Now I had 9618 again today, and it has that fuccking short right, so making a right onto 126th from 2nd Avenue today, I had to backout due to ConEd truck; next time you just cut in early, and watch the crosswalk for pedestrians and to avoid hitting the curb.

It's rather easy.

Gloves aren't allowed in general, but really a no-no on probation, but it's OK after the one year as no one really says anything to you. And sunglasses are allowed, but you're stupid to wear them at night, as I saw one or two operators do. lmao!

Another good afternoon, fellas!

Day 6 in Lower Manhattan via 3rd Avenue, Madison, 34th Street, Union Square, etc.. even the left turn from 14th Street to Union Square East was very easy - it's just a matter of setting your turns up correctly; in this case, it's an acute left turn where you set your turn up with the bumper at beginning lines of the crosswalk, then starting turning into it. Even if there's a vehicle parked on your left you can still execute with ease.

Overall, it was piece of cake (not cocky) with a lil added concentration.

My progress report was rated everything "satisfactory", and excellent in his terms.

Day 7 is cooking for tomorrow! :cool::cool:

The starting point for all of the training buses was at 3rd Avenue and 9th Street, so if you saw 5 buses lined up as a convoy, then that's why. :-) Jamaica, Fresh Pond, Grand Avenue, Quill and my depot (Flatbush) were all out there. It was good seeing other classmates.

BTW, on a funny note: we were driving back from the Bronx as we had to stop into Zerega (and took lunch), we're at Pennsylvania and Flatlands waiting to make the left and we see the bus start moving side to side, which we thought the engine or transmission started failing. So we thought nothing of it as it stopped. We get back to the depot and hear the word about the earthquake. SMH.

Bus #9618, again. lol

I was eating lunch on the bus when the earthquake happened...i was the only one in there, the bus started moving side to side. I was like wtf? Then it felt like the bus was moving forward on its own. At that time i did not know what was going on, i thought that the other student forgot to put the parking brake on or something lol. Not until a lady boldy decided to enter the bus, she had a perplexed look on her face.She asked "did you just feel that?" she said that it felt like the ground was moving beneath her . Thats when i realized it was an earthquake. Anyways, keep up the good work ace. Like i said in the beginning i'm going to be humble until this is over. With that being said.......I CAN'T WAIT until tomorrow.:cool: Best of luck to everyone.

Remember, just to be on the safe side ...don't ever forget to call on GOD even when you think that you don't need to.

Archived