One year ago today...

Guest MTA Bus

The point has been made, why not do the :lock: now, lol. Not trying to be mean or anything...

No, I meant as in what makes this thread any different? I don't think it should be locked, but that's just me....

...we met the demise of the (W)(V)(Mx) and the birth of the new (M).

For those who want to relive some of it, here's a video from a fellow NYCTF member:

The financial situation of the (MTA) is no better today, though a bill that would prevent the diversion of dedicated transit funds has passed the NYS legislature. Cuomo may or may not sign it.

For those who want the old schedules, here they are. Every NYC-area agency that changed their schedules due to budget cuts in May/June 2010.

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B1GvV8zOxI2SZjY1NjhjOWItMjZmYS00MWUyLThkNTMtYTdhYTdjOGNiMjE4&authkey=CPqytdoG&sort=name&layout=list&num=50

Comments?

Yup. I rode the very Last Manhattan-Bound (Mx) over the West End from Bay Pkwy to 36 St, then rode the very Last Bay Parkway-Bound (Mx) from 36 St to Bay Pkwy. Also, a bunch of us rode the last (W) from Astoria to Kings Highway. The last (W) departed Astoria at 10:17 pm...The memories...

Yup. I rode the very Last Manhattan-Bound (Mx) over the West End from Bay Pkwy to 36 St, then rode the very Last Bay Parkway-Bound (Mx) from 36 St to Bay Pkwy. Also, a bunch of us rode the last (W) from Astoria to Kings Highway. The last (W) departed Astoria at 10:17 pm...The memories...

It doesn't feel like a year. I still don't associate the (Q) with Astoria.

and the news articles XD

Heres my shots from that day, didn't catch the last (V), but caught the last (M) and (W)

5871428066_3cdd742d06_z.jpg

_DSC1558 by MainstreetBound7, on Flickr

5870872171_c0b13f462f_z.jpg

_DSC1625 by MainstreetBound7, on Flickr

5870873635_d9358fecf0_z.jpg

_DSC1632 by MainstreetBound7, on Flickr

^^Last M, same for below

5870875475_062c1238c8_z.jpg

_DSC1634 by MainstreetBound7, on Flickr

5871434000_73c2723f5a_z.jpg

_DSC1652 by MainstreetBound7, on Flickr

5870878371_8906fda9cd_z.jpg

_DSC1664 by MainstreetBound7, on Flickr

5870880165_e2377c1bd4_z.jpg

_DSC1665 by MainstreetBound7, on Flickr

5870881101_23b6ee2f82_z.jpg

_DSC1666 by MainstreetBound7, on Flickr

5870882153_3611db5af0_z.jpg

_DSC1670 by MainstreetBound7, on Flickr

^^ Last W

I'll always remember these 2 quotes from the news radio:

"Tommorow, the MTA's financial pain will hit riders, as the (V) and (W) trains make their final runs, victims of service cuts." (the emphasis on final runs was strong)

"Commuters...who haven't been following the news or check the MTA website lately will find themselves in for a rude awakening this morning—2 subway lines and 38 bus routes are GONE."

In that case (Cough Cough)...F the (M):tdown::tdown::tdown:

LOL...you know it! ;)

In all seriousness, you guys already know that I'm not the strongest supporter of the cuts made to the subway lines, and most certainly not the strongest supporter of the (M) line either. South Brooklyn was hit mainly because of the route change to the (Mx), and even though the original (V) routing didn't take that much of a hit (only one station lost service), it's still a cut in service, which I don't support. I'm not necessarily big when it comes to change, but I've become mature about it and dealt with it, because that's the only thing I can do. Personally, I think the (V) and (W) could definitely return with their routes altered so they can serve a greater number of people than before, and maybe the next time cuts are made, these lines won't be victims to them.

I'll say one thing: because of the cuts to the trains, it did direct me in a way to focus on other aspects of the system, specifically the Staten Island Bus network. I guess the cuts did benefit me in a way I probably wouldn't have expected, or even the MTA, heh.

Anyway, I'm done talking. Here's a video I made last year, as my way of parting with the (V) train. Hope you guys like it.

Idk why people dont do olderrrrrrrrr equipment and routes lol.. Instead mainly R32s and later.

Usually when a (M) vs (V) thread comes in, a flame war comes in. As ive said many times before, the (M) is pretty much doing a good job.. I no longer need to take the (J) to the (F) for Uptown service.

No im not an anti-(V) person, i still love it and miss it, but things gotta move on. If the (MTA) needed to eliminate it to save money, then let them be.. Even tho they still spend money on crap.

Anyways, heres Three (V) clips i took from 2009:

I know - I miss the (W). In its' final form, the (W) was like the old 70(EE) except that the (W) ran to Ditmars Boulevard instead of 71st Avenue-Continental Avenue.

Though retired as a letter the (V) lives in the new (M) which changed from Nassau Street brown to Sixth Avenue orange. I think this was the best thing to happen to the (V). Metropolitan Avenue is a better terminal than Second Avenue and reviving the Chrystie Street Connector was a good move.

The V, W & Brown M Train were retired 1 year ago today.

Archived