Bergen Avenue Cut-Off/150th Street Connector

Andres

So i was reading up on subway history and i read that before the subway came into the bronx the White Plains Elevated was serviced by the 3rd Avenue Elevated line and the 2nd Avenue Elevated line. it said something about a Cut-Off that was built so the 2nd ave el trains would have much easier time getting onto the white plains El. and the 3rd avenue el used the 150th street connector and met up with the subway PROW at St. Anns Junction. but wat remains at St. Ann Avenue when the (2) and (5) line go underground is just metal structure of a middle track? but if the bergen avenue cut-off was 2 tracks where did the other track go? what was the path of the bergen avenue cut-off and 150th st connector? and was the entire area rebuilt after those 2 spurs where dismantled that all that is left is that structure from st. anns avenue to brook avenue. it also stated a double deck structure in that area? and wat through service was provided through those 2 spurs.

ive tried looking this all up on google and in wikipedia and on http://www.nycsubway.org but nothing comes up.

i would really appreciate it if ya could help me out with this.

On the NYC Subway.Org website please look for the "1920, Manhattan and Bronx Els - 2nd, 3rd, 6th, 9th Aves., 1920" track map which shows the track connections that existed at that time connecting the Second Avenue and Third Avenue El lines, and the Bronx IRT elevated line. I think that this map will answer your questions.

Mike

• 9 years later...

https://www.facebook.com/BronxThirdAveEl/photos/a.535024013314350/434829996667086

This might help...a photo of the Bergen Ave cutoff looking north from Third Avenue and up Westchester Ave  

To the right, a train coming out of the 149th st & Third Ave station on the 7th Ave/WPR 241st line. The upper level would connect to the 3rd Ave El at 149 th street. 

11 hours ago, Angelo said:

https://www.facebook.com/BronxThirdAveEl/photos/a.535024013314350/434829996667086

This might help...a photo of the Bergen Ave cutoff looking north from Third Avenue and up Westchester Ave  

To the right, a train coming out of the 149th st & Third Ave station on the 7th Ave/WPR 241st line. The upper level would connect to the 3rd Ave El at 149 th street. 

You do realize that you're responding to a 10 year old post ? We generally frown on that around here. Carry on. 

16 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

For what it's worth, it's an interesting photo though- had no idea the cutoff was so close to street level.

I think that the person who responded to the original post gave some great advice. I learned about the Bergen Cut Off back in school car and a classmate gave me a heads up over a decade ago about where to find pictures of it and the Second and Third Avenue El line stations. My rabbi and the other instructors explained the layout in the area,  including the old tower at Brook Avenue, and the remaining ironwork south of Jackson Avenue.  The old tower was still standing,  unused, when I started in RTO. That tower and the one at Freeman always interested me. BTW there also was a railroad cut below Westchester Avenue between Jackson and the Cut Off ironwork near the post office that was still in use when I started out. Freight cars used it back then. Maybe some Bronx people would know more about it but one of my coworkers said that the southern end was around St. Mary's Park,  if my memory is correct. Believe me when you spend that much time on the train it piques one's interest in your surroundings. My thoughts. Carry on.