I Rode The Heritage Streetcar Line Today! :)

Today, Sunday 26 June, I met my friend Tetiana and we rode the Heritage Streetcar Line.

The fun began at East 8th Street and North Fourth Avenue at Noon when the first vintage streetcar rolled out of the car barn at 328 East 8th Street.

The streetcar was an authentic vintage High Voltage streetcar, beautifully restored. It is Car #869, Apricot and Green with single large sliding doors at each end.

The interior features a wood plank floor and bench seats that face inward and have very confortable, soft, red upholstered seats. The wood frame windows open from the bottom and the straps are a round, white metal.

The motorman sits in an open area in the middle (between the two large sliding doors) and you can watch him operate the car.

Soon after the streetcar began heading north on North Fourth Avenue, it began to feel and sound something similiar to a New York City subway car! What fun!

After we boarded, a conductor pleasantly said hello and asked if we were going one way or doing a round trip. Tetiana and I said round trip and he pleasantly said our fare would be $1.00 (50 cents for Tetiana and 50 cents for myself).

At North Park Avenue and East University Boulevard, we had the opportunity of watching the pole being changed and the motorman and conductor changing ends.

Then the ride back to North Fourth Avenue and East Eighth Street. Altogether, the round trip takes approximately a half-hour.

When we got back, an elderly couple thanked the motorman and conductor for the ride and asked if a photo was possible.

This was encouraged by the motorman and conductor, both of whom posed smiling by the side of the vintage streetcar for the elderly couple after they had changed the poles.

Knowing this, I hope to get a nice photo I can post and share the next time I ride.

Tetiana and I combined this with lunch at The Brooklyn Pizza Company on North Fourth Avenue where a "slice of Brooklyn" is $2.08, adding a soft drink brought our tab to $2.77 each.

The ride on the heritage streetcar line and lunch at The Brooklyn Pizza Company after made for a nice time here on a warm but not uncomfortable summer Sunday Tucson afternoon.

The heritage streetcar line operates Fridays 6:00pm to Midnight; Saturdays Noon to Midnight and Sundays Noon to 6:00pm. Fridays and Saturdays fare is $1.25 one way (the same as Sun Tran local bus fare) and on Sundays the fare is a quarter one way. Exact change is appreciated but not required as the conductor will pleasantly make change for a rider.

For more information on Tucson, Arizona's Heritage Streetcar Line, please visit http://www.oldpueblotrolley.org

It is a nice service that is offered here in Tucson, Arizona.

Unfortunately, I woke up this morning to see a sad front page headline in The Arizona Daily Star: TRANSIT HISTORY CHARRED For Enthusiasts Of Vintage Vehicles, Recent Arson Damaged More Than Old Buses.

Someone deliberately set an arson brush fire in the desert wash that runs diagonal to the vintage bus division yard at East 18th Street and South Campbell Avenue and it destroyed seven of the thirty vintage buses in the yard. One of the buses was a 1949 Ford city transit bus.

The buses at the yard once operated in regular revenue service in Tucson, Phoenix, and Bisbee.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I rode our heritage streetcar line again today (Sunday August 28th). It's a fun ride.

For now, the streetcar tracks end on the west side of North Park Avenue (two (2) blocks west of North Euclid Avenue) and the vintage streetcar begins and ends at North Tydall Avenue and East University Boulevard.

The streetcar tracks continue south of East Eighth Street, and make a loop on North Fourth Avenue, East Broadway and North Fifth Avenue but the vintage streetcar begins and ends at East Eighth Street and North Fourth Avenue.

When our Modern Streetcar extends the tracks, they will be extended one (one) block further east toward the actual U. Of A. Main Gate and, I think, the vintage streetcar will then begin/end at North Park Avenue.

On Sundays, service is every half-hour from Noon to 6:00pm.

Today during my ride, we had a friendly female C/R.

The inside features actual and authentic vintage ads such as Heinz 57 Varieties Of Vinegar and Bond Bread.

Archived