Staten Island Transfer Situation

Iamthe1

If I take the (4) or (5) trains to Bowling Green and then take the S.I. Ferry to St. George and I need to get to the Staten Island Mall, can I take the SIR to Eltingville train station and transfer to the S79 bus to the mall. Is that all one fare? I hate the long bus ride from St. George to the mall and I dislike the tremendous ride and overcrowding of the S79 from the Bay Ridge-86th Street (R) train station and along Hylan Blvd. Taking the SIR is my shortest travel time option, but I don't want to spend more than $2.25 to get there. Thanks. :P

From what I know doesn't SIR charge a fare at the terminal stations? If that's so, you will not be spending $2.25 taking the SIR then S79 after taking the (4) or (5). I know it's a long bus ride with the S44 I think? But that would be you best bet unless you walk to the next station is it, to avoid the SIR charge.

If I take the (4) or (5) trains to Bowling Green and then take the S.I. Ferry to St. George and I need to get to the Staten Island Mall, can I take the SIR to Eltingville train station and transfer to the S79 bus to the mall. Is that all one fare? I hate the long bus ride from St. George to the mall and I dislike the tremendous ride and overcrowding of the S79 from the Bay Ridge-86th Street (R) train station and along Hylan Blvd. Taking the SIR is my shortest travel time option, but I don't want to spend more than $2.25 to get there. Thanks. :P

Yes, it would be one fare if you the elapsed time between entering the subway station and boarding the S79 is less than 2h18min.

SIR charges fare for entry or exit at St. George and Tompskinville.

One can simply take the #4 or #5 trains to Bowling Green, or the other subways - #1 or R to Whitehall Street and/or South Ferry.

Then take the Staten Island Ferry to the St. George Ferry terminal.

At the St. George Ferry terminal go downstairs for the SIR.

Take the SIR to the New Dorp station.

Then WALK to Hylan Blvd and the Mall - it is about 10-15 minute walk to the shopping area.

Or at the same SIR station, one can take the #76 bus to Hylan Blvd, and a short walk to the shopping area.

I don't think he's referring to the strip mall on Hylan Boulevard, he's referring to the Staten Island Mall.

I'm not entirely sure, but I do think one can take the train from the outer boroughs, to the ferry, to the SIR (swipe at Saint George), and then to get to the mall, take the S59 or S79 bus.

He is asking for a route where he can spend only one fare. I was assuming the route he wanted to take isn't possible in terms of running one fare because I'm sure SIR charges a fare at St. George, so won't that count as the transfer after he swipes for the 4/5. Then wouldn't he be charged another $2.25 boarding the S79. I'd just take the S44 straight from St. George to head to SI Mall.

One can simply take the #4 or #5 trains to Bowling Green, or the other subways - #1 or R to Whitehall Street and/or South Ferry.

Then take the Staten Island Ferry to the St. George Ferry terminal.

At the St. George Ferry terminal there are two choices for the Staten Island Mall, the #44 Bus or the #61 Bus. Purely for speed from the ferry terminal, i'd take the #61 Bus to the Mall.

There is no need to take the SIR or to travel to Eltingville via express bus - it's a waste of time transferring between buses, or traveling in a around-about loop for no good reason.

There is also the option of taking the X17 or X31 express buses directly from Manhatan. One can pick up the X17 at bus stops from City Hall Park down to the Battery Park, fairly close to the Bowling Green station. One can pick up the X31 on 42nd Street on Lexington Avenue from 42nd Street near the Grand Central Terminal all of the way up to 57th Street-Lexington Avenue.

These are the quick options.

Mike

Archived