That really stinks: MTA's garbage collection schedule gets derailed much too often

Harry

Does your subway stink?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Does your subway stink?

• Yes, My regular subway stations smell disgusting
    • No, The stations are usually clean where I ride
    • I don't ride the subway

Stand clear of the festering garbage.

Subway riders are being forced to wait on platforms that have plastic bags stuffed with foul-smelling dreck because the MTA regularly fails to meet its own garbage collection schedule, the Daily News has learned.

On an average night, MTA trash trains and garbage trucks don't make it to more than 100 stations that are scheduled for a pickup, Metropolitan Transportation Authority data show.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2011/06/27/2011-06-27_wotta_dump.html#ixzz1QTnakKYW

post-1-133288582606_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288582606_thumb.jpg

I saw this report on NY1 this morning. Why can't the (MTA) just take the initiative and do things on their own? Now they admit that the trains that are coming to pick up the garbage are breaking down a lot and that they are understaffed, but they only moved to do anything about the problem when the media shed light on it. There was already a report done about this problem a few months with trash being brought onto trains in service. They are asking the passengers to dispose of their trash accordingly and yet they can't live up to their duty to see that the trash is removed from the stations accordingly. Seems like a double standard to me. Complain about the passengers being filthy and making a mess and when the shoe is on the other foot they've always got an excuse. It's too costly to keep the subway stations clean, etc. etc. etc.

Now they knew that they were going to cut staff and have fewer people cleaning last year, so why not make changes then to the way things would be done? It's also funny how now they can suddenly hire more people but they couldn't do this before?? :(

I've seen a Redbird garbage train having trouble a like a month ago or so at 161st street on (4). At least it seemed like the crew was having trouble. But this weekend I saw a couple times an R62 from Corona heading a garbage train of R24/R134s on the Jerome Avenue Line.

Also I noticed a train of redbirds being lead and trailed by R62s.

Maybe its possible the MTA is getting rid of the Redbird Garbage trains.

Why is there garbage in the subway in the first place? Little garbage is alright, but you got to admit that whatever the amount, it is TOO much as of today.

I came to NY in 2005, at that time I clearly remember that junk wasn't as big of a problem as it is today. Not only it was removed more often, there were less sources, take free newspapers for example. Also if the newspapers were the only problem, food is the cause why the garbage stinks so bad, and where it comes from?! Same people who complain. Why does one has to bring his/her food to the trains, It would be less of the problem if the leftovers went where they belong, in the trashcan. But no, it is so much easier just to leave it there, or hide it under the seat, thinking that employee would remove it. The moralle of the story is that the problem of garbage in the system is not solely caused by lazy employees or financial cutbacks of the MTA, afterall people bring the trash with them, it's not magically spread all over the place.

P.S. Maybe I'm just spoiled by the cleanliness of other metro systems I got used to.

Another reason to ride the express bus...

lol... Yep. I was running late today and called car service over to the X12, but I refused to get off Downtown and take the subway. It cost me an extra twenty or so minutes, but I didn't care. Nice clean express bus with AC and no crazy folks making a sh*t load of noise. Going to lunch I hopped on the (5) train at Grand Central to Union Square and God these teenagers were talking so loud as if they had never been around civilized folks before, like savages.

The subway is becoming filthier and the people riding them are becoming less and less civilized and filthier as well. It has nothing to do with being snobby either. Parents just aren't raising their kids in terms of how to conduct themselves and the parents aren't much better; just as filthy and loud, so of course the kids will follow suit. The reason why the express bus is nicer is only because you have a certain type of folks riding (professional folks) generally speaking because on the weekends I'm seeing more and more seedy folks riding, which is why I wouldn't mind seeing them raise the fare to push them off. Let them take the local bus with that damn riff raff. :mad:

Why is there garbage in the subway in the first place? Little garbage is alright, but you got to admit that whatever the amount, it is TOO much as of today.

I came to NY in 2005, at that time I clearly remember that junk wasn't as big of a problem as it is today. Not only it was removed more often, there were less sources, take free newspapers for example. Also if the newspapers were the only problem, food is the cause why the garbage stinks so bad, and where it comes from?! Same people who complain. Why does one has to bring his/her food to the trains, It would be less of the problem if the leftovers went where they belong, in the trashcan. But no, it is so much easier just to leave it there, or hide it under the seat, thinking that employee would remove it. The moralle of the story is that the problem of garbage in the system is not solely caused by lazy employees or financial cutbacks of the MTA, afterall people bring the trash with them, it's not magically spread all over the place.

P.S. Maybe I'm just spoiled by the cleanliness of other metro systems I got used to.

I agree. If they can't handle the amount of the trash, then put rules in place to curtail it. Don't allow folks to eat on the trains and such. That right there would lower the amount of trash that needed to be moved out of the system.

For the people whose stations are actually clean, I'd like to where they are getting on and if this is really BS or not. The only station that looks somewhat clean that I use frequently is Grand Central and maybe Wall Stret, and even Grand Central can get sort of dirty from time to time. It's clear that they must powerwash the platform though.

I am going to say this once again. The NYC Subway is Mass Transit. It isn't suppose to smell nice, be cool in the summer, feel comfortable to ride, and etc. It is Public Transit. If you hate it so much the use a damn car. Cars can be built to whatever standard you want when you upgrade them. The NYC Subway and their trains will not be built to your standards. If people are that ignorant to see that then they are basically stupid.

I am going to say this once again. The NYC Subway is Mass Transit. It isn't suppose to smell nice, be cool in the summer, feel comfortable to ride, and etc. It is Public Transit. If you hate it so much the use a damn car. Cars can be built to whatever standard you want when you upgrade them. The NYC Subway and their trains will not be built to your standards. If people are that ignorant to see that then they are basically stupid.

Really? So I guess we're supposed to live like animals when using the subway is that correct?? There are plenty of public transit systems that are clean and efficient, so please don't give me that lame excuse that it is public transit and that's why it's supposed to be rank, filthy and unreliable.

Just because it's public transportation doesn't mean people have to tolerate unsanitary conditions. There are other systems that are clean. I'm not just talking about the DC Metro. The Boston T doesn't have rats or bags of garbage on platforms. If people don't complain then stations will continue to resemble cesspools. Every time I walk down to the (E) platform at Jamaica Center I'm greeted by the smell of urine. $104 freaking dollars a month to ride a system that resembles a Third World country.

For the people whose stations are actually clean, I'd like to where they are getting on and if this is really BS or not. The only station that looks somewhat clean that I use frequently is Grand Central and maybe Wall Stret, and even Grand Central can get sort of dirty from time to time. It's clear that they must powerwash the platform though.
i get on at westfarms rd the bronx on the (2) and (5) train and its clean and all the new stations up here are always nice

That explains it... New stations... Let's see how long they stay clean...
i dont think that will make a difference because most of all that stations where done a long time ago now, the wpr line is mostly new now with the exception of 180th st and the dyre ave line and the 180th st station is being done now and almost done

This is quickly becoming a "I'm better than you because I ride express buses/I hate the NYC subway and anyone that uses it or works for it" thread.

Oh please Mr. LIRR.... lol I've been riding the subway for years, so I think I can say a thing or two about them. I'm used every subway line in the system, something I doubt that you can say.

i dont think that will make a difference because most of all that stations where done a long time ago now, the wpr line is mostly new now with the exception of 180th st and the dyre ave line and the 180th st station is being done now and almost done

Your post is quite confusing. On one hand you say that most stations were done a long time ago up there, but then you say that the wpr line is mostly new now with the exception of the 180th st, etc. and that that one is being redone now as well, so basically you've got mainly new stations up there.

I've seen a Redbird garbage train having trouble a like a month ago or so at 161st street on (4). At least it seemed like the crew was having trouble. But this weekend I saw a couple times an R62 from Corona heading a garbage train of R24/R134s on the Jerome Avenue Line.

Also I noticed a train of redbirds being lead and trailed by R62s.

Maybe its possible the MTA is getting rid of the Redbird Garbage trains.

They don't use all of them in the summer because of them not having any A/C, In the B divison they use R32's and in the A divison they use R62A singles for the crew to have A/C

Oh please Mr. LIRR.... lol I've been riding the subway for years, so I think I can say a thing or two about them. I'm used every subway line in the system, something I doubt that you can say.

Your post is quite confusing. On one hand you say that most stations were done a long time ago up there, but then you say that the wpr line is mostly new now with the exception of the 180th st, etc. and that that one is being redone now as well, so basically you've got mainly new stations up there.

i said it rite most of them are done over the dyre ave line is a line of its own so the 5 stations it haves is not apart of the 241st line all of the stations other than 180th st is done over and what i was saying is that for about 6 years ive really never seen any real nasty or dirty stations out of the new ones

Archived