That really stinks: MTA's garbage collection schedule gets derailed much too often

Harry

Does your subway stink?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Does your subway stink?

• Yes, My regular subway stations smell disgusting
    • No, The stations are usually clean where I ride
    • I don't ride the subway

Some stations are clean, some are dirty. Man there was this one time I was on the (R) and when the train stopped at 23rd Street, I saw a pile of garbage bags there (about 6 bags) and worse of all, there was not one, but TWO!! rats around the garbage bags. On a Tuesday afternoon. Eww..

For the people whose stations are actually clean, I'd like to where they are getting on and if this is really BS or not. The only station that looks somewhat clean that I use frequently is Grand Central and maybe Wall Stret, and even Grand Central can get sort of dirty from time to time. It's clear that they must powerwash the platform though.

Yes my station is usually clean. They do a pretty good job there. I'm not saying it's spotless but clean enough.

Yes my station is usually clean. They do a pretty good job there. I'm not saying it's spotless but clean enough.

If it's something like Grand Central clean then that's not too shabby. I think that's pretty respectable for a system that big, but I don't see that at most stations, esp. in the outer boroughs. I lived along the (Q) line for years and man you had maybe a few decent stations in the entire line and the rest were in need of serious TLC. I've only used the line once since they started re-doing most of the stations so I can't say what they look like now. The (N) and (R) stations in Brooklyn need serious rehabs as well. :eek:

If it's something like Grand Central clean then that's not too shabby. I think that's pretty respectable for a system that big, but I don't see that at most stations, esp. in the outer boroughs. I lived along the (Q) line for years and man you had maybe a few decent stations in the entire line and the rest were in need of serious TLC. I've only used the line once since they started re-doing most of the stations so I can't say what they look like now. The (N) and (R) stations in Brooklyn need serious rehabs as well. :eek:
i always say if you want the subways clean dont trash it, people in this city love too put trash all over the place and not take it with them. i always see them cleaning up the tracks and platforms every nite but than the people mess it up but for the most part it is clean too me too.

i always say if you want the subways clean dont trash it, people in this city love too put trash all over the place and not take it with them. i always see them cleaning up the tracks and platforms every nite but than the people mess it up but for the most part it is clean too me too.

Yeah well I don't eat or leave any trash anywhere whenever I do use the subway. I ride them such short distances these days and so rarely that there isn't time to even if I wanted to, but I was raised to be considerate of others, so I would never eat or drink and leave my sh*t everywhere.

Really? So I guess we're supposed to live like animals when using the subway is that correct?? There are plenty of public transit systems that are clean and efficient, so please don't give me that lame excuse that it is public transit and that's why it's supposed to be rank, filthy and unreliable.

Ask yourself THIS question does Metro North and L.I.R.R have a trash problem?

If they dont can you figure out why?

Ask yourself THIS question does Metro North and L.I.R.R have a trash problem?

If they dont can you figure out why?

As a daily express bus commuter and someone who does use the LIRR on occasion to meet clients out on Long Island or go to networking events, it comes down to class and income. I have never seen dirty LIRR cars or stations. In fact come to think of it, I'd say they're practically spotless. Granted they're used and such, but certainly not at all filthy. Probably the ghetto folks tearing down the subway trains. Now I know some well to do folks are nasty also, but think about it. How many of them are going to ride the subway anyway? You also don't have bums on the LIRR and MetroNorth, which is something that the subways do have A LOT of and they do create a lot of trash and filth. I once ran to get on a (6) train at Grand Central and was stuck in a car with not one but two bums at both ends of the car. One of them was wrapped in papers and bags of various sorts and the other one was just filthy beyond belief. Both however had a load of trash around them. Papers and stuff all over the place. They use the subway as their personal home. I had to hold my breath and run to the next car once we reached 33rd street. :eek:

As a daily express bus commuter and someone who does use the LIRR on occasion to meet clients out on Long Island or go to networking events, it comes down to class and income. I have never seen dirty LIRR cars or stations. In fact come to think of it, I'd say they're practically spotless.

I wouldn't go that far. I've seen coffee cups, spilled coffee, and discarded newspapers on the LIRR. It's not as bad as the subway, but it's far from spotless.

I wouldn't go that far. I've seen coffee cups, spilled coffee, and discarded newspapers on the LIRR. It's not as bad as the subway, but it's far from spotless.

That's about usually what you would find on an express bus during the week. The newspapers I can live with, but no one leaves coffee cups everywhere and even the newspapers aren't a problem. I always get on clean X30s and X14s in the morning. Now the lady who sits behind me on the X30, so tends to read a newspaper and she'll leave it folded on the seat next to her when she gets off, but that's about it. Not too many slobs during the weekday rush on the express buses I get on. I only get on semi clean express buses usually during the weekends and late nights and the X10 is always the culprit. Chicken bones and such from the seedy folks that find their way on to the express bus during the weekends from time to time and sometimes late at night. ;)

I don't ride the LIRR that often, as I go to Long Island on occasion during the year, but still, the ones that I've been on, even the older ones are 10 times better than the subway, not to mention that I actually do sit down on the LIRR trains. I don't sit on the subway. :eek:

As a daily express bus commuter and someone who does use the LIRR on occasion to meet clients out on Long Island or go to networking events, it comes down to class and income. I have never seen dirty LIRR cars or stations. In fact come to think of it, I'd say they're practically spotless. Granted they're used and such, but certainly not at all filthy. Probably the ghetto folks tearing down the subway trains. Now I know some well to do folks are nasty also, but think about it. How many of them are going to ride the subway anyway? You also don't have bums on the LIRR and MetroNorth, which is something that the subways do have A LOT of and they do create a lot of trash and filth. I once ran to get on a (6) train at Grand Central and was stuck in a car with not one but two bums at both ends of the car. One of them was wrapped in papers and bags of various sorts and the other one was just filthy beyond belief. Both however had a load of trash around them. Papers and stuff all over the place. They use the subway as their personal home. I had to hold my breath and run to the next car once we reached 33rd street. :eek:

Good so you know the answer then thanks!

Yeah well I don't eat or leave any trash anywhere whenever I do use the subway. I ride them such short distances these days and so rarely that there isn't time to even if I wanted to, but I was raised to be considerate of others, so I would never eat or drink and leave my sh*t everywhere.

They should really put you in charge. I bet we'd get a real kick out of that.

So where's this imaginary money coming from to maintain the stations? As far as I know, MTA's capital budget is more allocated to getting new trains and renovating older stations. The unions who use the garbage trains that clear the platforms are either at blame or should blame the MTA for not maintaining the fleet.

Hiring new people when they're trying so hard to lay them off sounds like a splendid idea.

Ooh, I know! How about we get some new tech trains to haul garbage trains? Oh wait, we can't do that...they're new...and as far as I know, this goes hand in hand with that topic a couple months ago, where the MTA was using the newer trains to haul garbage. Obviously there's a pattern here.

It seems that every time that there's a topic related to the cleanliness of the subway system, you come out of nowhere to rate down the MTA. The same agency who runs the buses that you love so much. I've seen the garbage on the platforms for years and yes, its the first time MTA is doing something about it, but that's how politics work. A problem isn't handled until it's brought to light. What country have you been living in, so far?

Just because it's public transportation doesn't mean people have to tolerate unsanitary conditions. There are other systems that are clean. I'm not just talking about the DC Metro. The Boston T doesn't have rats or bags of garbage on platforms. If people don't complain then stations will continue to resemble cesspools. Every time I walk down to the (E) platform at Jamaica Center I'm greeted by the smell of urine. $104 freaking dollars a month to ride a system that resembles a Third World country.

Have you've been to 14 St and 6 Av uptown bound platform??that station is dirty.It seem like the MTA have never pass the mob over there!Every time I go over there I see a big rat running on the platform fill with people.

That's about usually what you would find on an express bus during the week. The newspapers I can live with, but no one leaves coffee cups everywhere and even the newspapers aren't a problem. I always get on clean X30s and X14s in the morning. Now the lady who sits behind me on the X30, so tends to read a newspaper and she'll leave it folded on the seat next to her when she gets off, but that's about it. Not too many slobs during the weekday rush on the express buses I get on. I only get on semi clean express buses usually during the weekends and late nights and the X10 is always the culprit. Chicken bones and such from the seedy folks that find their way on to the express bus during the weekends from time to time and sometimes late at night. :)

I don't ride the LIRR that often, as I go to Long Island on occasion during the year, but still, the ones that I've been on, even the older ones are 10 times better than the subway, not to mention that I actually do sit down on the LIRR trains. I don't sit on the subway. :eek:

Oh no, not getting a seat on the CITY subway, that's so horrible...

Oh no, not getting a seat on the CITY subway, that's so horrible...

Not really. It's not that I can't get a seat on the city subway. It's that I don't want one. Here... you have it. B)

They should really put you in charge. I bet we'd get a real kick out of that.

So where's this imaginary money coming from to maintain the stations? As far as I know, MTA's capital budget is more allocated to getting new trains and renovating older stations. The unions who use the garbage trains that clear the platforms are either at blame or should blame the MTA for not maintaining the fleet.

Hiring new people when they're trying so hard to lay them off sounds like a splendid idea.

Ooh, I know! How about we get some new tech trains to haul garbage trains? Oh wait, we can't do that...they're new...and as far as I know, this goes hand in hand with that topic a couple months ago, where the MTA was using the newer trains to haul garbage. Obviously there's a pattern here.

It seems that every time that there's a topic related to the cleanliness of the subway system, you come out of nowhere to rate down the MTA. The same agency who runs the buses that you love so much. I've seen the garbage on the platforms for years and yes, its the first time MTA is doing something about it, but that's how politics work. A problem isn't handled until it's brought to light. What country have you been living in, so far?

LMAO... Who said anything about money?? They could eliminate tons of trash by enforcing no eating bans on the trains for starters. Then they could perhaps hire some of those welfare folks that they considered hiring a few months ago on the cheap and have them clean. I mean hey at least they'd actually be working and not draining the working man's pockets as usual.

And as for what country I've been living in Italy, thank you very much, where they have clean subways in Rome and Milan. In Florence where I lived we didn't have a subway since there isn't a need for one, but our buses werec clean. Germany and Switzerland have clean trains also.

Yeah, they should put me in charge. I'd actually get some accountability for once.

They could eliminate tons of trash by enforcing no eating bans on the trains for starters.

You want to eliminate food...from the trains...that run in the subway, of one of the largest and busiest cities in the world? Do you even realize that there are restaurants, retail, and newspaper vendors in the subway? Even if they did enforce the ban on the trains, that would probably only make the platforms and the tracks even dirtier than they already are.

And as for what country I've been living in Italy, thank you very much, where they have clean subways in Rome and Milan. In Florence where I lived we didn't have a subway since there isn't a need for one, but our buses werec clean. Germany and Switzerland have clean trains also.

I don't ever recall seeing the New York City subway providing service to those countries, so no, we do not have to follow what others are doing. That's what makes us diverse. I'm not approving of garbage in the subway, but we're not going to change a decades-old habit with a bunch of stereotypes.

You want to eliminate food...from the trains...that run in the subway, of one of the largest and busiest cities in the world? Do you even realize that there are restaurants, retail, and newspaper vendors in the subway? Even if they did enforce the ban on the trains, that would probably only make the platforms and the tracks even dirtier than they already are.
the people dont know how too take the garbage with them or throw it away. they drop it on the platforms and trains and then ask why is the trains and platforms so dirty> wtf we need too do just like other places do keep the food off the trains and watch how clean it will get, and its a win win, less rats less smelly platforms the MTA will save money cleaning up because it wont be too much and you get a nice clean ride home or work

the people dont know how too take the garbage with them or throw it away. they drop it on the platforms and trains and then ask why is the trains and platforms so dirty> wtf we need too do just like other places do keep the food off the trains and watch how clean it will get, and its a win win, less rats less smelly platforms the MTA will save money cleaning up because it wont be too much and you get a nice clean ride home or work

How about a compromise: Let food continue being sold in the stations, but if any person is caught having said food on the platform, that person will get a $300 fine. If they are caught having food on the train itself, the fine jumps to $700 and a week on probation. If a person is caught three times on seperate occasions of having food on the platform and/or train, they are arrested, and if found guilty in court, have 6 months in jail and a $2,000 fine.

Archived