Today is the first anniversary of the devastating bus cuts

BrooklynBus

You can put the track on loop all you want but the facts are out in the open. The X32 was extremely expensive to operate. An absolute waste of resources.

I've looked at how the X90 operated and looked into ways as how it could have been saved as a LOCAL variant...yes, a local. Lash at me for taking away soft seats from a route that only operated within Manhattan during peak hours, but some service is better than no service. If you can make a compromise as to how the X32 could have been salvaged then I'd love to hear it. But as a person who even admittedly stated that they can't afford to ride express buses now, how in the world would you have rode them when you were attending high school?

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You can put the track on loop all you want but the facts are out in the open. The X32 was extremely expensive to operate. An absolute waste of resources.

I've looked at how the X90 operated and looked into ways as how it could have been saved as a LOCAL variant...yes, a local. Lash at me for taking away soft seats from a route that only operated within Manhattan during peak hours, but some service is better than no service. If you can make a compromise as to how the X32 could have been salvaged then I'd love to hear it. But as a person who even admittedly stated that they can't afford to ride express buses now, how in the world would you have rode them when you were attending high school?

turn X32 into a LTD stop rte merge with BX10 partially then head nonstop to queens and become a full time Q27 or 17 LTD stop route constantly exchanging resources between queens and bronx sharing buses between busy rtes in queens and bronx accepting local passengers accept those 2 am and PM trips. give it a R letter representing regional LTD rtes or its just another Q44 basically local in bronx LTD in queens and in X32's case nonstop between bronx high school of science and queens.

I definitely wouldn't have cut the B8 back to the VA Hospital. If anything, I would've kept the B8 the same and cut the B70 back to 101st Street (rather than looping back up to serve the VA Hospital). That way, B8 riders still keep their connection to the SI buses, as well as the (R) train and B63 bus.

By the way, do you know if buses are still allowed inside Fort Hamilton. Because if that were the case, I would have the B70 travel through Fort Hamilton (the way the B8 used to) and terminate at the VA Hospital. That way, it is a better situation for B70 riders from Sunset Park trying to get to the hospital, since it takes a more direct route rather than looping around Bay Ridge (though it still isn't as ideal as the old route)

Buses aren't allowed inside fort hamilton anymore....

As far as the B70 & the B8, that transfer b/w the 2 routes aint all that common, believe it or not.... any crowd of passengers you see @ the VA hospital waiting for the bus, are people that are leaving the hospital at/around the same time....

Before the B8 was extended to 95th, you'd were more likely to see B8 riders xfer to the B1 to get to Bay Ridge, than you would end up seeing said riders wait it out inside the hospital for the B70.... over there on 18th/86th is where the B1 short turns at; very popular stop (BrooklynBus can tell you all about that)....

Anyway, now that the B8's been truncated back to its old terminal, more people are xferring to the B70 (one of the few routes that actually got a service increase)...

and oh... the more concentrated portion of the (old) B70 was b/w Ft hamilton/86th & Sunset park; south of 86th was weak.... Now w/ the current B70, I have to admit, usage is more uniform from end-to-end....

accidents happen... I don't think that (the flourishing of the current 70) was planned at all....

What do you mean, there is no data for passengers north of Bay Ridge Avenue. That is the part that was eliminated. This is what I mean about the planning process not being transparent. How can someone make an intelligent decision if the route was needed or not when they won't release the data for you to make a determination?

He means no data that's available to the public; for him to pull up to make his point... I guess....

I've looked at how the X90 operated and looked into ways as how it could have been saved as a LOCAL variant...yes, a local. Lash at me for taking away soft seats from a route that only operated within Manhattan during peak hours, but some service is better than no service.

Just curious, how would making it a local bus help? Are you saying that it costs a significant amount of more money to operate those big express buses than the local buses? The problem with the X90 was that it ran too frequently. It only really needed to run every 15-20 minutes rather than every 10 minutes, and when I would ride it there would always be quite a bit of empty seats available.

I haven't really mapped it out but it would be similar to the M98. This new route, the M90 Limited, would only run during rush hours in both directions, with less frequent service when operating in the reverse peak. The buses would operate along York Avenue making limited stops, operate along the FDR Drive south of 57th Street...and then I'm not sure from there, but it's a work in progress. I just figured that it's better than nothing and if it could alleviate the load of the M15 +SBS without riders having to chalk up extra money for fare then, why not give it a shot?

Just curious, how would making it a local bus help? Are you saying that it costs a significant amount of more money to operate those big express buses than the local buses? The problem with the X90 was that it ran too frequently. It only really needed to run every 15-20 minutes rather than every 10 minutes, and when I would ride it there would always be quite a bit of empty seats available.

It won't help at all it should become a variant of the BXM 1 or 7 via york ave then via FDR to 23rd as intermediate transfer stop for other express buses then non stop to lower Manhattan or non stop to lower Manhattan I saw big school buses use FDR up to 57th at least so X90 could become a BXM rte variant allowing Bronx ppl direct access to jobs along york ave while restoring a much needed service at the same time. seriously ungrateful bitches take it as a variant or get nothing.

I haven't really mapped it out but it would be similar to the M98. This new route, the M90 Limited, would only run during rush hours in both directions, with less frequent service when operating in the reverse peak. The buses would operate along York Avenue making limited stops, operate along the FDR Drive south of 57th Street...and then I'm not sure from there, but it's a work in progress. I just figured that it's better than nothing and if it could alleviate the load of the M15 +SBS without riders having to chalk up extra money for fare then, why not give it a shot?

then from FDR nonstop to lower manhattan done!!!!!

....that's b/c they combined service onto it off the old x92.

I agree w/ you about the x90 being overserved btw.... good to see that you're being reasonable/rational & not flying off the handle like you used to, regarding the former x90.....

My parents would've paid for the express bus fare. They paid for my student monthly LIRR ticket when I attended Brooklyn Tech, which is a far inferior school. I believe that no child should be left behind. Distance should not prevent a child from attending an elite school.

no

I would have merged B12 with B23 select runs as a last resort. And B24 break em up into 2 segments one to greenpoint merges with Q49 the other well don't know. B37 is useless!!!! don't beat the dead horse!!!!

B24 try maybe one segment merge with a few Q33 trips the greenpoint and the williamsburg segment merge with Q49 select trips. Why can't Q77 and 76 merge into a crosstown route and let ppl transfer for jamacia service. Can't Q79 be replaced by Q72 via LIE to little neck parkway then floral park and elmont(if possible). Then Q30 to LIRR station. Cause the Q79 was very convenient when it came to timed transfers it met the N20 and several other east west buses. It should have been called a queens crosstown

3. (Q72) should be left alone, and only extend to Queens Ceter Mall.

4P3607 and I depend on this bus.

Only extention I think benefit by extend to Woodhaven Blvd, so (Q72) riders have direct service to/from Queens Center Mall, since 63rd Drive-Rego Park Woodhaven Blvd does not have ADA.

That way, people wouldn't need to transfer to (Q59) or (Q60) to get to mall.

Remember, I told you LIE could be nightmare especially during game days.

Pretend there is bus guideway entrance at Rego Park, and what happened if bus gets stuck on traffic on enroute to guideway? That still slows bus down. Some bad drivers could also block the entrance to guideway because some motorists are impatient.

(Q72) does not have Bus Guide-A-Ride because it's (MTA) Bus Company.

If you extend (Q72) to Floral Park, lots of people will be furious.

Every day, lots of (Q72) riders are not happy because weekend schedule runs every 30 minutes.

On heavey weather, it could sometimes go up to 45 minutes wait.

Remember when (Q72) has suspended in blizzard last December, lots of people were upset.

One weekday, before service cut, I have waited (Q72) over 60 minutes at LGA Airport, because of Junction Blvd traffic, plus firehouse nearby, and plus bad drivers from Roosevelt Av, crowd at 57th and Roosevelt Avs force all (Q72) to bunch up.

I have seen four (Q72) bunch up at 37th Av or CTB.

I don't have any plans I said if they are that stupid to try. I won't rip off ideas from others for NYC. Not for bus rtes at least. The NYC area needs guideways for better buses. The traffic is why I changed my idea to infrastructure based rather than route based. My plans have NOTHING TO DO WITH NJ TRANSIT AT ALL. NYC is completely different.

Yeah, nexis did post in chatbox a while back with links to his CD thread... or you derailing said thread (ironically about trains) with "bus guideways."

yes

okay you 2 need to calm down we get it X90 needed to stay with reduced service. The X32 however caught me off guard though how can a bus that has just one trip be so expensive to operate how can we be sure MTA didn't lie about the X32?? It only had one trip honestly If it was me I would make it a zone based route or some kind of switch to allow the bus to differentiate between local and express ppl or give up and make it a LTD stop rte with local fare and let everyone on it. Market the line as a bypass rte that links eastern queens with the bronx, CT and upstate you know where metro-north runs market the service in a way to get ppl out of their cars and use this bus instead to Fordham for metro-north and such. M90 LTD err if X90 was through-routed with a BXM route then the service would already be a LTD open-door cause ppl are getting off at york from bronx then ppl getting on from york for lower manhattan. In a way you are bunching ppl on the bus

B24 does not meet with Q33 either.

I know how folks on Greenpoint Av feels about no weekend bus service.

On Holiday Monday, I have walk entire Greenpoint Av from Kent Av to Queens Blvd to see anyone waiting for B24 on Weekend Schedule on Holiday and apparently no one was waiting.

I got very tired, so I took break by highway again, then continue my walk.

I only took Jamaica-bound X32 once before service cut and I was only one on that bus because that bus was properly early for some students.

At Flushing, when I was getting pic of X32 and X51, it was very difficult shot, because no one was waiting for X32 at Main St by former Q14 bus stop.

3. (Q72) should be left alone, and only extend to Queens Ceter Mall.

4P3607 and I depend on this bus.

Only extention I think benefit by extend to Woodhaven Blvd, so (Q72) riders have direct service to/from Queens Center Mall, since 63rd Drive-Rego Park Woodhaven Blvd does not have ADA.

That way, people wouldn't need to transfer to (Q59) or (Q60) to get to mall.

Remember, I told you LIE could be nightmare especially during game days.

Pretend there is bus guideway entrance at Rego Park, and what happened if bus gets stuck on traffic on enroute to guideway? That still slows bus down. Some bad drivers could also block the entrance to guideway because some motorists are impatient.

(Q72) does not have Bus Guide-A-Ride because it's (MTA) Bus Company.

If you extend (Q72) to Floral Park, lots of people will be furious.

Every day, lots of (Q72) riders are not happy because weekend schedule runs every 30 minutes.

On heavey weather, it could sometimes go up to 45 minutes wait.

Remember when (Q72) has suspended in blizzard last December, lots of people were upset.

One weekday, before service cut, I have waited (Q72) over 60 minutes at LGA Airport, because of Junction Blvd traffic, plus firehouse nearby, and plus bad drivers from Roosevelt Av, crowd at 57th and Roosevelt Avs force all (Q72) to bunch up.

I have seen four (Q72) bunch up at 37th Av or CTB.

Actually for the Q72 thing to work junction blvd should become a transitway to speed up buses turn it into a roadway like Fulton mall cars would be banned from junction blvd during rush hour Q72 service enhanced to every 15 minutes and every 5 mins at rush hour. Half of the trips could use LIE service road to bypass traffic. Plus if the guideway was there then there would be a cop patroling its entrance any motorist dumb enough to block its entrance would get raped by a $500 fine and will be towed and have licence suspended. At rush hour the fine will increase to $800 plus $10 for each minute the bus is late!!!!! Plus I already abandoned the Q72 idea a while back. I would rather have a LGA rte do that via GSP and LIE as the rte won't deal with junction blvd traffic. The junction blvd corridor needs a guideway in the future but in near term HOV lane grade separated and almost impossible for a motorist to enter.

Even with police officer, not all police officers cannot stop the cars drivers from blocking the entrance.

Didn't you see the video I about California drivers behaving badly on your "What's Wrong with My Idea"? Even with police stakeout at guideway entrance, some drivers risk and block the entrance to guideway.

Even with traffic police officer posted at Roosevelt Av/Main St, they make illegal turn at new TURN RESTRICTION.

I have seen car driver still abuse Left Turn Bus Lane Only at Northern Blvd/Main St, even in front of NYPD car.

Junction Blvd is almost mini version of Shopping Stripes similar to Fordham Rd and drivers will be upset since there are lots stores line up.

Junction Blvd is one of busy street that only connects to LGA.

If you closed Junction Blvd for cars, drivers have to go turn right, turn left, turn left, turn right, turn left, which could confuse many drivers.

Yeah, nexis did post in chatbox a while back with links to his CD thread... or you derailing said thread (ironically about trains) with "bus guideways."
huh???

bus guideways are for traffic mitigation and adding traffic immunity to buses. Not replacing trains or vice versa. Trains and buses have completely different roles. In NJ guideways aren't as urgent cause the traffic is reasonable even at rush hour(except hudson county) buses and trains are very different in NYC the guideways will be an in ur face reminder why only idiots drive in NYC. While ur stuck in traffic you have to look at the guideway with full buses moving way faster than you while the motorist sits in traffic next day they decide to use transit which will be much faster than driving in NYC. It would make owning a car in NYC look embarrassing!!!! In NJ extensions and mergers are easier to implement cause the highways simply flow better and NJT buses are well known for flying on the highway faster than cars. So traffic is usually not a problem. What works in NJ will NOT work in NYC. NYC highways are horrid and FAIL HARDCORE

Remember I told you that when I was at Fulton Mall entrance at Smith St-Jay St, few cars ignore the "DO NOT ENTER- BUS ONLY).

yeah JUST A FEW I go out there I know only a few cars but if its just a few idiots it wont delay buses that much. as for NYPD they will simply crush them with fines till they stop thats all. keep milking them till they become too broke to try. Keep suspending their licence forcing ppl out of their cars if they can't behave. Simple break the rules and MTA should break ur bank account!!!!!!!

Archived