Today is the first anniversary of the devastating bus cuts

BrooklynBus

right... for a specific group of people... i.e, schoolkids.

I'm not arguing it didn't have a purpose....

I'm sayin, you'd be foolish to bring up how so "public" it was... when you got questioned if you were to try to board that bus if you weren't a student or w/e....

You're right on that one and I've experienced this myself, I did get questioned once about being a student, I just told the B/O no and I needed a faster alternative into Queens and he let me pay ( I managed to get on because I showed him my John Adams High School ID that I had after I dropped out and told him I had a PM session...). The policy that I remembered was that if you were not a student, you couldn't ride the bus. But there were a few ways to pry yourself into it.

Though I remember a few times I've slipped through onto that x32 just to go back to Queens. The x32 was more of a "private" operation than it was public because the B/Os who ran that line were pretty strict about carrying students and/or school personnel only.

I've seen times where they wouldnt let anyone who wasn't a student or school worker/personnel on the bus and just leave them high and dry....up until low floors started seeing the light of day on that route...much like this!

When the low floors started to frequent the route (x32), they started letting other folks onto the bus. But when they started to get those ex-Green Line suburban Orion Vs, other folks got shafted and the students/school personnel had their own bus basically.

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^No wonder X 32 had such a low ridership....it's a ''public bus'' that shown on the map,everybody is free to use it.MTA could've made this route profitable if they re-do the whole route.They could've put some LTD stop in the Bronx and they could've add more buses during school hours.I dont know if Bronx science parent will agree with me,because they think unwanted people will be riding with the student towards Queens.

MTA could've made this route profitable...

The only profits in public transportation go to outside carriers whose contracts with the public agency clients are written very carefully. The agencies themselves can only hope to cover most of their costs from the fare box and keep external funding in place to make up the difference.

The only profits in public transportation go to outside carriers whose contracts with the public agency clients are written very carefully. The agencies themselves can only hope to cover most of their costs from the fare box and keep external funding in place to make up the difference.

In terms of operating costs (not total costs, like the costs of maintaining the depot and training the drivers), there are some routes that actually do turn a profit, such as the Bx12 and M15.

^^No wonder X 32 had such a low ridership....it's a ''public bus'' that shown on the map,everybody is free to use it.MTA could've made this route profitable if they re-do the whole route.They could've put some LTD stop in the Bronx and they could've add more buses during school hours.I dont know if Bronx science parent will agree with me,because they think unwanted people will be riding with the student towards Queens.
ok so how would you have made x32 profitable????

ok so how would you have made x32 profitable????

Simple, let it be accessible by everyone, not just students or school workers! If the route was promoted better and planned better, it would have been the perfect alternative over the Q44 LTD and the Q50 LTD.

It was not intended to be profitable. The only routes in the city that make money are crosstown routes since they have high ridership but travel a short distance. The X32 was meant to serve super intelligent kids from Queens. It did its job, but the greedy MTA got rid of it.

I'm sorry, but that makes absolutely no sense. I'd like to see documentation stating that the X32 was "not meant to be profitable". The X32 was discontinued due to low ridership, and that alone speaks volume as to why the route was done away with.

I'm sorry, but that makes absolutely no sense. I'd like to see documentation stating that the X32 was "not meant to be profitable". The X32 was discontinued due to low ridership, and that alone speaks volume as to why the route was done away with.

In his favor, public transportation in general is supposed to be provided for the public good, not to make money. If it happens to make money, that is a lucky coincidence.

But still, you don't run a route at a 16% farebox recovery ratio just because "smart kids" ride it, especially when there are alternatives (both privately-run and MTA-run). If you can't find a way to boost the ridership (it definitely had potential as a faster alternative to the Q44), it should be discontinued.

Simple, let it be accessible by everyone, not just students or school workers! If the route was promoted better and planned better, it would have been the perfect alternative over the Q44 LTD and the Q50 LTD.

It WAS open to everyone, just targeted toward students.

In terms of operating costs (not total costs, like the costs of maintaining the depot and training the drivers), there are some routes that actually do turn a profit, such as the Bx12 and M15.

Full list of profitable routes (I may have missed a few)(using average fare):

N40/41, Q64, Q33, B74, M34, M96/M106, M23, M79, Bx3, Bx6, M86, Bx19, M14, Bx12, Bx9, Bx35, Bx39 (7 days)

Q37, Q40, Q6 (Saturday)

Q69, B103, QBx1, B45, M66, M116 (weekdays)

Q25, M16, Bx5, B36, Bx35, Bx36, Q58, B41, B6, M15, B35, B46 (weekends)

Q72, Q23 (Mon-Sat)

Full list of profitable routes (I may have missed a few)(using average fare):

N40/41, Q64, Q33, B74, M34, M96/M106, M23, M79, Bx3, Bx6, M86, Bx19, M14, Bx12, Bx9, Bx35, Bx39 (7 days)

Q37, Q40, Q6 (Saturday)

Q69, B103, QBx1, B45, M66, M116 (weekdays)

Q25, M16, Bx5, B36, Bx35, Bx36, Q58, B41, B6, M15, B35, B46 (weekends)

Q72, Q23 (Mon-Sat)

There was a discussion about this on Cap'n Transit. We were debating on whether routes like the Manhattan crosstowns and B74 were actually profitable, since a lot of the passengers were people who transferred from the subway and, thus paid below the average fare.

I guess, even considering all of the transfers, some crosstown routes still turn a profit. I believe the M86 cost $0.66 per passenger, which is really cheap.

ok so that doesn't answer my question. you said planed better so was there something wrong with the route it took should it have been rerouted??? where should it have gone???

I know it should be open to all that was what killed it however i have a feeling that it's route was a bit off plz elaborate?? which stops should have been cut???

Tell that to the operators who DIDNT let anyone BUT students on the bus....when CS had the 100s and the suburban 600s running on that line, only students were allowed on it. But when you saw a regular transit Orion V or a low floor, they'd let anyone on...

ok so that doesn't answer my question. you said planed better so was there something wrong with the route it took should it have been rerouted??? where should it have gone???

I know it should be open to all that was what killed it however i have a feeling that it's route was a bit off plz elaborate?? which stops should have been cut???

You dont read very well do ya. By being planned better, giving it a slightly better schedule and promoting the route better = better planning, duh.

Tell that to the operators who DIDNT let anyone BUT students on the bus....when CS had the 100s and the suburban 600s running on that line, only students were allowed on it. But when you saw a regular transit Orion V or a low floor, they'd let anyone on...

You dont read very well do ya. By being planned better, giving it a slightly better schedule and promoting the route better = better planning, duh.

I guess we agree on that point huh. I think it should have been full time how frequent would you think it should have been??? on each branch???

Tell that to the operators who DIDNT let anyone BUT students on the bus....when CS had the 100s and the suburban 600s running on that line, only students were allowed on it.

That's discrimination.

That's discrimination.
hence why it was CUT!!!! the arrogant fools got selfish and basically got what they deserved!!!! when you try to hog up a public bus rte all to urself it WILL GET AXED!!!!! Hence why X32 was killed. I would bring it back as a limited stop/express rte thaty saves ppl from Q44 well sort off.

What f***ing type of bus route allows only a certain group of people on it (in this case, BHS kids)? That makes absolutely no sense at all....

I guess the MTA agreed with ya that's why it got cut. they were like **** it if you BHS IDIOTS want ur private bus rent ur own from another sucker. MTA= public NOT private understand it fools no MTA bus is private get it!!!!

What f***ing type of bus route allows only a certain group of people on it (in this case, BHS kids)? That makes absolutely no sense at all....

Hence why it says this at the bottom of every route in the LGA route instruction booklet:

http://www.lgaunion.com//Updated%20Route%20guides.pdf

BUSES ARE AVAILABLE TO ALL INTENDING CUSTOMERS ON ALL REVENUE TRIPS INCLUDING SCHOOL TRIPS

I honestly believe you're disagreeing with me for the sake of disagreeing with me. People act like the X32 is the only school run in the city.

the BHS ppl brought the cut on themselves!!!!! if they let others use it the X32 may still exist!!!!!!

I agree. Few months ago I saw a B41 school run and although it was full of screaming kids. Some guy was 'brave' [balls of steel, cuz I sure as hell would not get on a bus with those animals] got on the bus even though the driver said it was a school bus.

Point is people can still get on as if it was a regular run.

Archived