Old Manhattan Bus Maps?

Gorgor

Where would I be able to find old Manhattan bus maps, from the 80s and 90s? I was able to dig up a PDF file from as far back as 2000 (here), but past then there's not even a scanned copy of the map except for the one on nycsubway.org from 1974.

There's nothing in particular that I'm interested in finding, but mainly just the evolution of the map as well as the Manhattan express buses.

If anyone knows where I could find them, or would be so kind to scan them if they have one, I'd be extremely glad. :(

I have two Manhattan bus maps from 1984 and 1985. Since you're interested in the Express routes I can list the route details. I'll scan my collection of old maps in the near future for all to see.

The 1984 map shows the X25 and X23 (the X23 was the X90, until 2010). The X25 operated between 42nd Street/Vanderbilt Avenue and Battery Place/Greenwich Street (the pre-2010 X25 terminated at Vesey Street/North End Avenue. Unlike the pre-2010 X25, the 1984 X25 operated via Fifth Avenue and Broadway.

The X23/X90 operated between East 110th Street/Fifth Avenue and Pearl/Frankfort Streets or 91st Street/York Avenue and Water/Broad Streets. 110th Street buses used either 5th or Madison Avenues and 79th Street, and went along the FDR Drive to Wagner Place. 91st Street buses used York Avenue to East 61st Street and then went along the FDR Drive to Wagner Place.

The fare was $3.00. Hope this helps.

If you could scan those maps it'd be amazing!!

Thanks a lot for the information about the X23/X90. I remember hearing about express buses starting from around 110th street but I could never find any information about it.

I know that buses aren't allowed on the FDR north of 23rd Street now, but looking at the 1976 bus map it shows the X23 going up all the way the 60s to exit, and going on the FDR at 79th. When was the whole FDR Drive renovations which prevented buses from using it afterwards?

(Also, the X23 makes a left from York onto 79th to go to the FDR. If I recall correctly there's a no left turn sign there now I think?)

Archived