New MTA site feature: Documenting GO's

Amtrak7

Go to the MTA home page, in the MTA news box click on tab 2:

We are debuting a new weekly feature that will highlight the work that we do each weekend to keep our transit system running reliably, starting with last weekend's work on the N Line....

Best of all, these photos are free to use!!! (CC-BY, just give attribution)

wow those new tracks look so cool thats what they did in the bronx on the wpr line but not concrete

Concrete will pretty much be used on embankments and open-cuts. The ELs will still get wood. Concrete last longer then wood. Not sure why ELs are not getting it.

I'm glade the NYC Subway Embankment/Open-Cut Lines will get them. I thought only MNR/LIRR was, but I was wrong!

Concrete will pretty much be used on embankments and open-cuts. The ELs will still get wood. Concrete last longer then wood. Not sure why ELs are not getting it.

I'm glade the NYC Subway Embankment/Open-Cut Lines will get them. I thought only MNR/LIRR was, but I was wrong!

I think Concrete ties for rails aren't a good idea, it's heavier than wood, and I don't think the Els would support it, (correct me please if I'm wrong)

With the els, there is too much vibration for the concrete. They even had problems on the Rockaways viaducts (which are basically els filled in with concrete and ballast), but were able to resolve that somehow. Yet a totally open el would have too much vibration.

They've also been testing plastic ties. That's what they should use on els, then.

With the els, there is too much vibration for the concrete. They even had problems on the Rockaways viaducts (which are basically els filled in with concrete and ballast), but were able to resolve that somehow. Yet a totally open el would have too much vibration.

They've also been testing plastic ties. That's what they should use on els, then.

What about those rubber/plastic fill-ins they used on Ocean Parkway?

What is their purpose? To eliminate vibration?

Few years back during Ocean Parkway Rehab, they completely removed the gravel and wooden ties, filled the whole structure with concrete and installed new rails with short ties. The interesting part was that, the ties were encased with this rubber/plastic form.

img0022tz.jpg

Not sure, but I think I saw this on Culver Viaduct as well

Going back to my original question, What is the purpose of those "things"?

Thank You!!!

Archived