Stay Off the Tracks

Harry

I remember that. I'll admit I dropped something into the tracks twice and had to jump down and get it. I'm 6' 3" and I could hop back up to the platform with little effort but that girl that died was, sorry to say, was a little overweight and definitely not even close to 6' tall.

Like that poor girl that dropped her cellphone onto the tracks several years ago. When she jumped down to get the phone it was too late. A train was coming to the station and could not stop in time. Very sad.

That's terrible.

Now, up here, the orange, red and blue line stations are raised higher than the tracks, so people are smart enough to know not to jump down. But on the green line, we're talking about trolley and LRV's on the tracks. So station and track level are at the same height. Just recently, when taking the green line, we were in a crowd of people. The station was full, from the back wall, all the way up to the yellow line. A couple and their small child apparently couldn't be in the last train car. They just had to move to the front of the crowd to get to the first car. Sure enough, instead of saying 'excuse me' and going through the crowd, they walk onto the tracks (which mind you, has overhead and a "3rd rail" type strip running along side it). Now, their chance of getting hit is slim (because the LRV's here, before entering a station area, slow down and stop completely at the beginning of the platform and chime the bell a few times).

But this just goes to show you how ignorant some people can be.

And just for reference, here is the same station after that train left.

file.php?n=71&w=o

Archived