It's not the cleanest or prettiest, but is the NY Subway the best in the world?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i dont think so its good but we are about 15years behind other counties like china japan Germany the UK ect, they have clean stations all the time good service faster trains they give you more info than we have now even with the new PA cis system we have up on the IRT lines, ive been too germany and i can tell you its a different world.

I'd say yes. It's one of the only systems in the world which runs 24/7, 365 days a year and still manages maintenance and also one of the largest. What are your thoughts guys?

It's a frustrating system because of all the maintenance. Good luck nights and weekends.

One thing about NYCT is it motivates one to own a car.

It's a frustrating system because of all the maintenance. Good luck nights and weekends.

One thing about NYCT is it motivates one to own a car.

we cant get mad at that at all, we are one of the only systems that run 24/7 365 we need this work over the weekends and nights if we dont we wouldnt have a system too ride on because it wouldnt be safe anymore trains would be derailing and falling apart

I hate to see you guys complain. If you guys were in the 1970's and the 1980's you would be really complaining. Accept it the way it is people. Our subway had a worse time then today. I hate to see some people yap about it when they know about it in the worse days. I will post this video to prove it.

I hate to see you guys complain. If you guys were in the 1970's and the 1980's you would be really complaining. Accept it the way it is people. Our subway had a worse time then today. I hate to see some people yap about it when they know about it in the worse days. I will post this video to prove it.

im with you my friend i was born in the early 80s and remember how bad we had it and i dont complain too much about what we have now because yea we had it way way worse than today 180% change.

I wouldn't call our subway the best in the world but it's pretty much the LARGEST system out there.

It's a good thing most of you who railfans today weren't around in the 1970s and 1980s because everything was a disaster. You'd have been mugged, robbed, shot, whatever could've happened had you brought a fancy film camera down there. Hell I know I wouldn't have!

As slow as it's been, the MTA's track workers have been busting their asses while management has their heads up theirs.

Yes, I'm talking to you white-collar guys sitting behind those pine desks in the office while your workers spend countless hours in the tunnels breathing in that fine steel dust...

No, it's certainly not the best in the world. That title goes to Germany and or Switzerland for having the best rail system. The (MTA)'s subway is far from efficient, esp. when you consider the constant signal problems delaying trains. Not exactly efficient at all. The train system in Germany and Switzerland is extremely prompt, clean, and quite reasonably priced.

People should expect more of our subway system old or not because part of the reason that it is in bad shape is from years of neglect, partially because of the state and partially because of the (MTA). Now that we're spending money to do something with it, rehabs take a year and day and generally come in over budget. If you're trying to get anywhere outside of rush hours especially during late nights or on the weekends, you can forget about having a hassle free ride. You're better off driving or taking the express bus.

If we had more accountability the system could be much better and quite frankly I expect the best because the U.S. is supposed to be #1 in these things and not looking up at other wealthy industrialized countries like Germany and Japan. That's the main reason why we're falling behind because we're not investing enough in technology or infrastructure and that could be said about the country in general, not just here in NYC. :mad: It's funny how our politicians laugh at Europe and the Scandinavian and Nordic countries as being behind and meanwhile we're the ones that are behind.

Enough about the could and should... Time for our leaders to step up and start making things happen including Obama. He keeps talking about innovation to make America America again and the need for infrastructure. Well let's see it! :mad:

Yes, as a proud New Yorker I think the NYC subway is the best in the world.

I have four subway lines near me and the 2 that run full time has solely NTT and two of em has countdown clocks, all four lines have great service.

Also... 24/7 service and express trains, I honestly think that secures the win when it comes to nyc subway being the best in the world.

TBH the only issue I have with NYC in general is the high cost of living, every major city in America has that inner city drama.

I honestly think my bus commuting hatred would be with any bus system. I hate having to stand on the corner of the street looking at cars go back and forth while a waiting for a loud box with wheels and to take me to work or w/e.

Our Subway may not be best the world, but it does the job it's supposed to do- to get us from point A to point B. Of couse, we are behind other major transit systems from around the world, but you must remember that

1) We run 24 hours nonstop, the whole 365 days of the year. In short, the whole package. Not many transit systems can say the same thing.

2) Roadcruiser1 makes a very important point. While other cites were expanding or building new transit systems in the 60's, 70's & 80's, we were deferring maintenance- and leaving it to the next generation. We still suffer some of the scars of that era-the cost to get the system on a state of good repair is one of those, hence the massive service changes we suffer on late nights and weekends.

But given the amount of people who ride the system everyday- 5.2 Million being the latest number - the system does a pretty a good job of getting us to point A to point B, from our houses to work/school, from school/work back to our homes, and from our homes to catch the game. We have a long way to go to be the "best in the world" but we definitely are up in the top-just not #1.

Considering how massive NYC is, the current system is actually quite comprehensive where it exists, mainly Manhattan, Downtown/Southern Brooklyn, and most of the Bronx. The transfers are terrible, but that's mostly because the current subway is an amalgation of 3 competing systems that ran way too many parallel routes (the IND is particularly guilty of this). The massive interlining also causes crazy scheduling, lowers efficiency, and can lead to terrible delays, but it does make the system quite unique among its peers.

What needs focus is the experience for current passengers. The subway could really benefit from one-tap smartcards, AC/heating, and improved headways off-peak (8 minutes between every 6 train is outrageous).

I'd say yes. It's one of the only systems in the world which runs 24/7, 365 days a year and still manages maintenance and also one of the largest. What are your thoughts guys?

The NYC subway isn't even the best system in the tri-state area. It's full of bums and rats. Stations are dirty and trains are overcrowded. Whenever I try to take a nap on the (E) train, I'm disturbed by panhandlers, preachers, Mariachi bands, and kids selling candy. I can think of quite a few systems better than the NYC subway:

Washington DC

washington-dc-metro-subway.jpg

London

350px-LUL-S-Stock-arrives-Croxley.jpg

San Francisco

sfo-hr-sfo-071403-06.JPG

Seoul

b5f6476f5e1dcabd278c1b22823239ca.jpg?w=840

Paris

1-paris-metro.jpg

PATH

20090802165121.jpg?1249199628

These systems are either new, or they were built up to standards during the time we were falling apart. You people should stop complaining. We have the largest subway system in the World, and in some areas where subway or any type of rapid transit is needed it doesn't even exist at all.

The NYC subway isn't even the best system in the tri-state area. It's full of bums and rats. Stations are dirty and trains are overcrowded. Whenever I try to take a nap on the (E) train, I'm disturbed by panhandlers, preachers, Mariachi bands, and kids selling candy. I can think of quite a few systems better than the NYC subway:

Washington DC

washington-dc-metro-subway.jpg

London

350px-LUL-S-Stock-arrives-Croxley.jpg

San Francisco

sfo-hr-sfo-071403-06.JPG

Seoul

b5f6476f5e1dcabd278c1b22823239ca.jpg?w=840

Paris

1-paris-metro.jpg

PATH

20090802165121.jpg?1249199628

It's worth noting in the pictures you posted how CLEAN those stations are. Do we really have such disrespect for our subway system or is the (MTA) just not doing enough to keep the stations clean? They once said that it would cost an astronomical amount of money to actually keep the stations clean to be on par with say other subway systems around the world, so it seems to me that they're basically saying that we give up.

Here's an interesting article on Switzerland's train system.

http://www.greatrail.com/region/switzerland-by-train.aspx

Of course living in places like Zürich and Genève (Zurich and Geneva) (some of the world's most expensive cities) will set you back, but they're a top world class transportation system, be it trains, buses or trams. Very punctual, just like their watches. :cool:

now that is true other places like DC paris germany japan are better and thats because we dont put into the transit system as they do. we dont care like they do about there systems it would be so expensive too have the MTA as clean and policed like others, if they ever asked the people of this city too change what they do now we will have a all out war, against it, people dont want too pay for anything here the fair now is only $2.25 a ride if we were too do what other places do it would be around $3.00 more than it is today. we dont and wont because theres people that dont want too pay $1.25 for fair yet alone $2.25. back when the fair was that we had people complain about that

Are you people really serious? Look at our population and compare it to theirs. Our system gets much MORE use and sees LOTS more people compared to these other places which are more likely easier to maintain and keep clean- You simply could not do the same with our subway unless you could get the masses to stop doing what they do and crack down on the panhandlers/those looking for charity on the trains.

Are you people really serious? Look at our population and compare it to theirs. Our system gets much MORE use and sees LOTS more people compared to these other places which are more likely easier to maintain and keep clean- You simply could not do the same with our subway unless you could get the masses to stop doing what they do and crack down on the panhandlers/those looking for charity on the trains.

And your point is?? Just a poor excuse. The (MTA) even admits that it could be done, we would just have to pay more for it. The problem is people are too cheap and don't care enough about the system to keep it clean. I would certainly pay more for a clean subway.

Yes, of course. That's the phrase of the day. How dare me suggest that folks pay more for quality and cleaner service.
you see my point rite there, i said that people here are too cheap and wont pay a dime more than what we pay now. the sad thing is we dont pay anything at all $2.25 for a trip is noting at all. so if you want too know why we dont have a clean fast system like other counties and states this is why lol

Archived