It's not the cleanest or prettiest, but is the NY Subway the best in the world?

you see my point rite there, i said that people here are too cheap and wont pay a dime more than what we pay now. the sad thing is we dont pay anything at all $2.25 for a trip is noting at all. so if you want too know why we dont have a clean fast system like other counties and states this is why lol

So true!!

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I cannot believe people are hoping for fare hikes just so the system could be cleaner.

How you ever thought about... gee IDK, maybe buying a car?

And NYers being cheap? Do you realize how expensive it is to live here vs the rest of the U.S?

See, for me to even answer this question properly, I'd need to try other subway systems. And right now all I have to go on is SEPTA and whatever it was I used in Belgium. So I can't say its the best or the worst. I'm certainly not going to compare via a couple snap shots. I don't know about you guys but I need to experience in order to comment. Otherwise it's pure blind pride.

The NYC subway isn't even the best system in the tri-state area. It's full of bums and rats. Stations are dirty and trains are overcrowded. Whenever I try to take a nap on the (E) train, I'm disturbed by panhandlers, preachers, Mariachi bands, and kids selling candy. I can think of quite a few systems better than the NYC subway:

Washington DC

washington-dc-metro-subway.jpg

London

350px-LUL-S-Stock-arrives-Croxley.jpg

San Francisco

sfo-hr-sfo-071403-06.JPG

Seoul

b5f6476f5e1dcabd278c1b22823239ca.jpg?w=840

Paris

1-paris-metro.jpg

PATH

20090802165121.jpg?1249199628

A majority of those photos you posted of those transit systems make a bad comparison for the following reasons:

1. They are smaller than the NYCS

2. They carry less traffic than the NYCS

3. A lot of those system don't even carry 24/7 operations, with some of those systems ceasing service overnight.

Try running a subway system like the size of ours...it's not easy as people make it out to be. It's not easy to go to every nook and cranny of the system in one day, or even a week. It takes months and years of improvement.

Just be grateful you didn't grow up using the system in the 1970s...the conditions then were DEPLORABLE. It was amazing that trains even made service with all the breakdowns that occurred day in and day out, and not to mention, the week and a half long transit strike of 1980.

I guess I am going to say what I said, and posted on the first page since some people still don't get it.

I hate to see you guys complain. If you guys were in the 1970's and the 1980's you would be really complaining. Accept it the way it is people. Our subway had a worse time then today. I hate to see some people yap about it when they know about it in the worse days. I will post this video to prove it.

The NYC subway isn't even the best system in the tri-state area. It's full of bums and rats. Stations are dirty and trains are overcrowded. Whenever I try to take a nap on the (E) train, I'm disturbed by panhandlers, preachers, Mariachi bands, and kids selling candy. I can think of quite a few systems better than the NYC subway:

Washington DC

But keep in mind the difference in size. Despite the shrinking of the NYC system since the 70s, it is still much larger than almost every other system.

Washington was innovative in many ways but it is still a completely local system - no express trains at all. PATH was also innovative - that had a/c in their cars while New York was still saying the technology doesn't work - but again, it is a comparatively tiny system.

I am not dismissing the valid complaints about crowding and panhandling, nor the general neglect of maintenance which is still continuing (the MTA spent a ton of money to re-do the E train 7th Avenue station, then completely neglected it to the point where it is so damaged that the whole station has to be re-done again).

Yes it could be better. But the infrastructure is there to make it better.

The Washington Metro is useless in station spacing. Every station is about 1 kilometer apart. Our system does a good job, because the local stations are every half a kilometer apart, and the express stations are 1 kilometer apart. This allows people to access the system with ease. Many subway and metro systems that exist, or is under construction doesn't have this uniqueness. People would have to run or bike 1 kilometer or farther to get to a subway station. In terms our subway system may be the best in the world. It also is the largest subway system in the world. Do some of these people that post even know that there are cities that desperately need a subway system like ours, but they can't get it for a long time? Many people also doesn't realize that these systems are small, and they don't run at all times. If they did they would be in the same situation we are.

But keep in mind the difference in size. Despite the shrinking of the NYC system since the 70s, it is still much larger than almost every other system.

Washington was innovative in many ways but it is still a completely local system - no express trains at all. PATH was also innovative - that had a/c in their cars while New York was still saying the technology doesn't work - but again, it is a comparatively tiny system.

I am not dismissing the valid complaints about crowding and panhandling, nor the general neglect of maintenance which is still continuing (the MTA spent a ton of money to re-do the E train 7th Avenue station, then completely neglected it to the point where it is so damaged that the whole station has to be re-done again).

Excellent post, especially that last statement. Couldn't put it better in any other way!

Forest Glen, I don't know how frequently you use the Metrorail system, but the service has deteriorated over the past few years; that's despite the fare increases. I use the system regularly and it's been plagued by delays, broken down trains (especially the 4000 series, which are in dire need of a mid-life overhaul), and broken escalators over the past decade.

The Metrorail system is cleaner than the NYCS, but the service, IMO, is not better right now. Fare increases do not necessarily mean improvements.

A majority of those photos you posted of those transit systems make a bad comparison for the following reasons:

1. They are smaller than the NYCS

2. They carry less traffic than the NYCS

3. A lot of those system don't even carry 24/7 operations, with some of those systems ceasing service overnight.

Try running a subway system like the size of ours...it's not easy as people make it out to be. It's not easy to go to every nook and cranny of the system in one day, or even a week. It takes months and years of improvement.

Just be grateful you didn't grow up using the system in the 1970s...the conditions then were DEPLORABLE. It was amazing that trains even made service with all the breakdowns that occurred day in and day out, and not to mention, the week and a half long transit strike of 1980.

Two of the systems I listed (London, Seoul) are similar in size to the NYC subway.

The Washington Metro is useless in station spacing. Every station is about 1 kilometer apart. Our system does a good job, because the local stations are every half a kilometer apart, and the express stations are 1 kilometer apart. This allows people to access the system with ease. Many subway and metro systems that exist, or is under construction doesn't have this uniqueness. People would have to run or bike 1 kilometer or farther to get to a subway station. In terms our subway system may be the best in the world. It also is the largest subway system in the world. Do some of these people that post even know that there are cities that desperately need a subway system like ours, but they can't get it for a long time? Many people also doesn't realize that these systems are small, and they don't run at all times. If they did they would be in the same situation we are.

The Washington Metro was meant to take people from the suburbs in Maryland and Virginia to downtown DC. It was not meant for intra-city travel. That doesn't change the fact that it is a much better system than the NYC subway.

Forest Glen, I don't know how frequently you use the Metrorail system, but the service has deteriorated over the past few years; that's despite the fare increases. I use the system regularly and it's been plagued by delays, broken down trains (especially the 4000 series, which are in dire need of a mid-life overhaul), and broken escalators over the past decade.

The Metrorail system is cleaner than the NYCS, but the service, IMO, is not better right now. Fare increases do not necessarily mean improvements.

The last time I used the DC Metro was in June 2010. The escalators in the NYC subway also break down. Whenever I walk down to the (E) platform at Jamaica Center I'm greeted by the smell of urine. At least on the DC Metro people can take a nap without being disturbed by a panhandler/preacher/kid selling candy/breakdancer/Mariachi band. Spend a day riding the NYC subway and you'll realize how lucky you are.

EXACTLY!

It just... works. Our economy is too screwed up and shit is waaaaaay too expensive already. Just NO.

I cannot believe people are hoping for fare hikes just so the system could be cleaner.

How you ever thought about... gee IDK, maybe buying a car?

And NYers being cheap? Do you realize how expensive it is to live here vs the rest of the U.S?

NYC isn't for everybody. There are cheaper places to live if it's too expensive for you guys. Like I said, I would certainly pay more for a clean subway. I don't live in filth and I don't want to ride in filth either to save a few measly bucks.

If you guys don't like it then as I have explained get yourself a damn car. You can do anything to car. A subway system will never be built to a specific person's comfort. It will be built and designed, and always will be built to allow people to get from point A to point B. Maybe to allow some rail fanning, but for nothing else except for transport.

If you guys don't like it then as I have explained get yourself a damn car. You can do anything to car. A subway system will never be built to a specific person's comfort. It will be built and designed, and always will be built to allow people to get from point A to point B. Maybe to allow some rail fanning, but for nothing else except for transport.

No, I'll just use the express bus, thank you very much. In the meantime, we have every right to complain and want a cleaner subway. Just because you're fine with rats running around doesn't mean that we have to be, nor do we have to get a car. It's not just your subway system. I pay to use the system too and I am certainly in my right to want a cleaner system, whether you or anyone else likes it.

The rats doesn't even show themselves often. They run on the tracks, and the rail bed. I haven't seen a rat crawl up onto the platform as of yet, and I have to yet see one even try.

Really? I've seen that at least half a dozen times. I once saw a rat go from the Manhattan-bound platform at Queens Plaza onto the tracks and cross onto the Queens-bound side.

The rats doesn't even show themselves often. They run on the tracks, and the rail bed. I haven't seen a rat crawl up onto the platform as of yet, and I have to yet see one even try.

LMAO... Well considering how often I actually use the subway, I see them quite a bit and Fulton St. was infamous for them there on the (4) and (5) line. Nice that they opened the front area there up and made it an exit because before you had the garbage bin where they stored all of the garbage there towards the front of the platform and man those rats would be having a field day. You could see them literally moving around in the garbage bags and hear them squeaking from quite a distance and they certainly had no problem walking on the platform either.

Come to think of it I remember once the train stopped there at Fulton St and a rat darted right past us. All I could think was I hope none of these rats come darting into the train because it is going to be chaos on another level. :eek:

A few other stations that I frequent where I see them are Rockefeller Center, Grand Central and Union Square. IMO Union Square and Rockefeller Center are quite dirty. Rockefeller Center is rank and smells like piss and Union Square, I don't know what is up with that station but it's dirty and rank especially there where that escalator is. I really limit my use of the subway and just take the bus. Quite frankly if I time the buses right it is quicker for me to use them since it takes me about 10 minutes to walk to Grand Central anyway from my office there on 5th and 45th.

I just think the cleanliness of the subway should not be sugar coated. Most of the stations are dirty. Let's at least admit that because it's the truth.

:tup: However, let's not forget there is no transit system on Earth larger than MTA. So comparisons can never be totally accurate.

Are you sure you live in NYC???? I've seen plenty! On the 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, A, B, C F, G, J, L, M........

You know, I would love to check out the London Underground, but my budget doesn't allow for it.

There are ways around that. Look into a study abroad program. Not cheap, but it's possible. If you want to hear something funny, I had my study abroad orientation at CSI. At the time I was still living in Brooklyn and that was one of my first trips on Staten Island. B)

Biggest problem of the New York system is the people who board train, uncivilized and lacking common sence, they are making subway a terrible place to be. Why should (MTA) improve the stations, if they would be trashed in matter of months. I bet, if overnight all the stations would be replaced with, let's say Moscow metro style stations, they would be in decay in less then a year.

As much as I would like to see: great looking, clean, on-time and reliable subway service in New York, it won't happen, probably ever.

At the end of the day, we got what we got, make peace with it or GTFO.

Archived