Incident with cop

R160

So Daniel, his friend, and I were railfanning on Sunday. We rode an R68A (Q) to Avenue H. We got off (at the back of the platform) and took pictures while it left. After we took photos, a police officer comes from the booth which was right behind us and says that we aren't allowed to take pictures.

As of a month ago, I started carrying the rules from the MTA website about photography. So I took them out and handed it to him. He read it and say that the rules are valid except when he says they aren't.

He said something like "As with any agency, we're allowed to take away those privileges at any time. I'm not trying to bust your balls or anything. But after 9/11 and stuff, especially here at a construction site, it's not allowed."

We left after that, but is he allowed to make us stop taking photos even though the rules say we are allowed to? The rules clearly state we're allowed to and we weren't doing anything wrong...

Obviously cops use that excuse to bust balls, but in the end, it isn't worth getting into an arguement over. Just go to the next station and take pics there.

That's exactly what we did.

I just love how cops use the 9/11 excuse all the time.

My hat is missing - it was 9/11

I'm a dollar short - it was 9/11

I'm constipated - it was 9/11 ;)

I've always thought about saying "But it's June" to a cop that uses the 9/11 excuse B)

Yes, because filming at a construction site is a threat to national security.

As Noflexdont said, ask the officer for his/her shield # and station. I am not sure that they must release their name. I would not ask where I can file a complaint only because it shows a lack of knowledge. One needs to indicate a knowledge of the law in order to scare officers into obeying it as well. If you still want to file a complaint, do it with the Internal Affairs Bureau. I emphasize a stern yet polite retort to an officer's inquisition because the IAB is notoriously slow and ineffective. Here I would have moved as well. But if you need a particular shot, and are sure that you cannot be charged with obstruction of pedestrian traffic, let him/her physically move you. Of course, this depends on whether you having nothing else better to do with your summer vacation!

Obviously cops use that excuse to bust balls, but in the end, it isn't worth getting into an arguement over. Just go to the next station and take pics there.

Or if you see the police just don't even take A photo or Photos just so you don't have a cop in your face and saying all of the things they say

You should have taken his Shield Number and wrote a letter to Comm. Kelly or Internal Affairs or CCRB.

I was thinking about asking for his name, but I thought it would come off as rude or something...

From the sounds of it, it seems like he's not allowed to say what he did. :confused:

kindly copy his badge number and name and ask him where you can file a complaint against some one infringing on your rights. That will get a rise out of them.

It might also get you in further nonsense you don't need. Make a mental note of his badge #, name, and the collar brass number, and when you walk away after being detained, write it down or make a text of info. Follow up with a formal complaint at the preceint that was on collar brass and online to the CCRB, cc: local city council member & favorite news channel. That's how you get a real rise with better results.B)

As Noflexdont said, ask the officer for his/her shield # and station. I am not sure that they must release their name.

If the officer is uniformed their name and badge are right there, don't try to upstage a uniformed police officer. Politely answer questions and follow instructions, getting arrested is not worth the legal headache to follow. And yes they are required to inform of their badge # and name, but why ask if it is there in front of you. Don't escalate a situation if it is not needed.

If the officer is uniformed their name and badge are right there, don't try to upstage a uniformed police officer. Politely answer questions and follow instructions, getting arrested is not worth the legal headache to follow. And yes they are required to inform of their badge # and name, but why ask if it is there in front of you. Don't escalate a situation if it is not needed.

As someone who visits the courts frequently (but not because I get arrested often!), I understand that most individuals need to spend their time earning a living. Personally, however, I would ask the officer because a) my vision is poor, and :P you stand to gain more by being allowed to continue taking photos. Recent lawsuits against the MTA justify this, though again I may just have too much time on my hands. I also do not respond well when my rights are infringed upon. There is no harm sending in a complaint, but I believe the "success rate" for complainants is less than 15 percent.

In other words, I have given myself two options: win the argument and be allowed to photograph or start a lawsuit (~30,000 for two I can recall). The latter is no walk in the park, but that depends on how strongly one feels concerning the need for redress. That is how change occurs. Here is an example:

Archived