Is a new fantasy forum needed?

Kinda self-explanitory. I have seen alot of fantasy and future service threads sprinkled throughout the forums, and I think it's enough to warrant a forum all to itself. Plus, people who are not into fantasy threads would know to steer clear and not have to guess if a thread is fantasy-oriented or not.

Kinda self-explanitory. I have seen alot of fantasy and future service threads sprinkled throughout the forums, and I think it's enough to warrant a forum all to itself. Plus, people who are not into fantasy threads would know to steer clear and not have to guess if a thread is fantasy-oriented or not.

True. These make your own _________ are not needed in the place that they are in. The fantasy and future things should be somewhere else.

We are trying to keep the fantasy threads to a minimum.

Why? Separating them into new forums is a very good idea, trying to reduce the amount posted is bad. In fact, on the RAILROAD.NET NJT forum, the creation of a new fantasy thread has drastically reduced the problem of other threads turning off-topic due to fantasy ideas.

It depends on what it's about. We are trying to keep the fantasy threads to a minimum.

Plausible service changes, extension, etc. are much better. If you feel your idea has a good chance at being looked at, then feel free to post!

Why? Separating them into new forums is a very good idea, trying to reduce the amount posted is bad. In fact, on the RAILROAD.NET NJT forum, the creation of a new fantasy thread has drastically reduced the problem of other threads turning off-topic due to fantasy ideas.

You both have very good points. ENY, I don't feel that fantasy threads should be kept to a minimum, but I agree that there needs to be some quality in them. Just dishing out random crap=bad, realistic fantasy that could be made in real life=good.

Amtrak7, I agree with you, but off-topic threads are not the point. The point is a home for fantasy threads, that I feel needs to be created. It's ultimately up to the Administrators, though. Arguing with one will get you nowhere.

not for nothin, but you'll have folk that wouldn't be too "proud" of postin in a fantasy forum... for fear that their threads won't even be looked at, or participated in.... and/or being looked upon as some type of foamer (especially the more one would post in said forum).....

unless you're runnin some large scale forum (like city-data), forums within a forum within a forum generally don't do well....

if the goal is to cut down on posting (which is what I'm beginning to do on here, for very specific reasons), it would defeat the purpose of creating an entire sub-forum for... anything, really.....

not for nothin, but you'll have folk that wouldn't be too "proud" of postin in a fantasy forum... for fear that their threads won't even be looked at, or participated in.... and/or being looked upon as some type of foamer (especially the more one would post in said forum).....

unless you're runnin some large scale forum (like city-data), forums within a forum within a forum generally don't do well....

if the goal is to cut down on posting (which is what I'm beginning to do on here, for very specific reasons), it would defeat the purpose of creating an entire sub-forum for... anything, really.....

NYCTF is slowly becoming a "large-scale forum", that's why this proposal is being floated. You're right about the first point, how people may not want post there due to negative reputation.

We shouldn't exactly be discouraging "foamers", it would significantly cut down on membership.

It does seem that the administration is trying to cut down on post volume, based on moderator's comments when closing threads. I don't understand why, so long as the posts are not spam-type annoyances. It's even more puzzling when you consider the relatively recent rash of money-related additions (classifieds, trading, subscriptions), which is somewhat implying that there is extra space yet a shortage of funds. Yet they never responded to my request to delete gallery items, which implies there is no lack of space. The site does need a comprehensive examination, it somewhat reminds me of the decades-old NYC Bus route network that is altered a little at a time but eventually turns into a mess. Or Nero, which tried to do too much for one piece of software.

@B35- You don't have to cut down on posting. We are just trying to cut down on the nonsense posts and threads.

You can post to your hearts content. The people who make BS posts just for the sake of posting know who they are. I don't recall you falling into that category.:cool:

I want to state that although i understand how such a forum would encourage 'increased' postings, I think it is needed when you have people that generally hijacks a 'typical thread' with maps of an idealised version of what the system should look like.

'Improvement' topics [that are within the relm of possibility with existing resources] are fine, but outright fantasy should be kept out of the main forums. That has been the problem as of late with 'foamers' saying: 'such and such type is better than the other'.

NYCTF is slowly becoming a "large-scale forum", that's why this proposal is being floated. You're right about the first point, how people may not want post there due to negative reputation.

We shouldn't exactly be discouraging "foamers", it would significantly cut down on membership.

It does seem that the administration is trying to cut down on post volume, based on moderator's comments when closing threads. I don't understand why, so long as the posts are not spam-type annoyances. It's even more puzzling when you consider the relatively recent rash of money-related additions (classifieds, trading, subscriptions), which is somewhat implying that there is extra space yet a shortage of funds. Yet they never responded to my request to delete gallery items, which implies there is no lack of space. The site does need a comprehensive examination, it somewhat reminds me of the decades-old NYC Bus route network that is altered a little at a time but eventually turns into a mess. Or Nero, which tried to do too much for one piece of software.

My thing is though, while there are a quite a bit of em, fantasy threads aren't THAT widespread on here.... and I don't agree that this board is large scale; it has years to go (and way more daily non-fluff posting forum posters to go)... and I'm hoping we will last that long... but then again, large scale is a subjective term.....

Regardless, I'm not here to question Harry's and his moderators decisions... I know what it's like to be both an admin & a mod on a forum (not on here, but on, non-transit related forums), and I absolutely hated when people questioned the moves I made to my forums...

I was a "put up or shut up" type of guy..... not necessarily a forum nazi, as I went out of my way to kinda-sorta "reward" my top contributers/posters, but I can't stand chronic complainers (which is why I tend to go hard in the paint to one particular youtuber, who's also on this forum, although I eased up on him as of late).... but anyway, we didn't have a feedback section on the forums I ran.... I knew what I was doing, I knew what my mods were capable of (or what I was capable of, as a mod, on the forums I was one), and I knew the posting habits of the top contributers, the average poster, and those that just came to leech off us with their perpetual "thanks" replies.... I had no problem gettin rid of someone that didn't like the way I handled things...

back o/t... No, we shouldn't be discouraging fantasy thread makers, but if in this community the majority of the time those folk are being referred to as foamers, that's somethin that's not gonna change.... The minute a lot of ppl. in this community see the word "fantasy" appended to anything, it's automatic (in their minds) that they are some type of foamer... this is why I hate the term "fantasy map"... "fantasy ideas".... Then you get to the point where anyone that comes up w/ an idea immediately gets thrown into the "foamer" category....

I'm sure you remember that thread that was on here, where someone asked what's their definition of a foamer.... how many different definitions did you see in there... lol.....

As long as you have folks thinkin along those lines, I don't think it'd be in the best interest to create a whole sub-forum just for those that wanna share their ideas; no matter how true-to-form it might end up being, or how outlandish & unrealistic it is..... that's almost like negative re-inforcement to do something like that.... just my humble, unadulterated, long-winded opinion.....

....and thanks for the compliment, ENY :tup:

(I also read deep into things btw)

Archived