Reverse Peak Limited Stop Service on SI?

Via Garibaldi 8

newark is too far I said newark airport via elizbeth. S48 is too slow to extend S55 needs the ridership more However S56 and that S82 or urs can extend to perth amboy or even deeper into middlesex (if possible)

I meant Newark Airport, but that would still be too far.

I would think that there would be a lot more ridership if the S98 were extended there. The North Shore has a lot more people that would be willing to use the service than the South Shore does.

While I disagree with reducing rush hour S44 and S59 service checkmate, any plan that would expand SI local & limited bus service to New Jersey is a good one! :cool:

Also, throughout the years I've definitely seen B/Os change the bus sign to limited at random times during the day but usually around school hours. I caught a S94 at 2:30pm a couple years ago and every now and then the S40 will be so packed that the bus will become a S90. The major problem with operators doing this is that the next bus won't be for another 15-20 minutes at least because that limited run wasn't in the schedule. I've said this plenty of times before but if the MTA offered Staten Island more limited service as a pilot on the busier routes, it would be more than successful and they'll probably have to add even more limited service over the years.

I live right by Richmond Avenue and I'll say that the service runs in excess along this corridor. Between the trippers and the regular buses, we've got service every few minutes in the AM rush, which is unnecessary. When I transfer at Walker Street/Morningstar Road, there are times when you'll see 3-4 Richmond Avenue buses in each direction, with hardly any standees, and then an S46 or S96 will come in (almost) completely crushloaded (as you know, my opinion is that a bus isn't crushloaded until the entire back part of the bus has standees)

Now that I think about it, all of the reductions that I would want wouldn't really be enough to keep the fare the same, but the savings would definitely be enough for these types of improvements. LRG said that the S55/S56 run every 6 minutes each during rush hour. In the meantime, if those trippers were eliminated (as well as all of the excess trippers citywide), we'd easily have enough savings for these needed improvements.

And I definitely agree that the MTA should start out with off-peak limited stop service on the S48 and S53, since those routes clearly have the demand for it. They could cut into the local service a bit, and between the slight reduction in the local service and the increased ridership, I doubt it would cost much at all (plus, if they really wanted to, they could reduce service on the adjacent routes, since riders might shift from, say the S46 to the S48 because of the limited service available).

But as BrooklynBus said, the MTA's attitude is that they would rather make $800,000 in reductions rather than see $800,000 in additional revenue.

I live right by Richmond Avenue and I'll say that the service runs in excess along this corridor. Between the trippers and the regular buses, we've got service every few minutes in the AM rush, which is unnecessary. When I transfer at Walker Street/Morningstar Road, there are times when you'll see 3-4 Richmond Avenue buses in each direction, with hardly any standees, and then an S46 or S96 will come in (almost) completely crushloaded (as you know, my opinion is that a bus isn't crushloaded until the entire back part of the bus has standees)

There's a few factors why you think service runs in excess on Richmond Ave, you live closer to Yukon Depot than I do, you have all the express buses, the S59 & S89 and there's plenty of school trippers on the S44 and S59 that don't make their way to West Brighton or the ferry at all. This is obvious because service on the S44 in my area is awful, never on time, and shows up in twos after waiting 25-30 minutes, while during those same times you say that they come pretty often and reliable over on Richmond Ave.

There's a few factors why you think service runs in excess on Richmond Ave, you live closer to Yukon Depot than I do, you have all the express buses, the S59 & S89 and there's plenty of school trippers on the S44 and S59 that don't make their way to West Brighton or the ferry at all. This is obvious because service on the S44 in my area is awful, never on time, and shows up in twos after waiting 25-30 minutes, while during those same times you say that they come pretty often and reliable over on Richmond Ave.

Last night was a perfect example of why we need express bus service 24/7 on the X1 at least. I was having a great time w/friends and had to bolt from the bar hopping and smoking of the good stuff we were doing because I didn't feel like dealing w/the slow @ss ferry. It wasn't even that late either, but in my inebriated state, I would've been in no shape to deal with the ferry. For the first time ever I almost missed my stop. Basically passed out once we reached Staten Island and woke up just in time to see that we were at the light at Hylan and Clove. Apparently the bell was broken and luckily for me someone else needed the stop too otherwise I could've been on the bus all the way down until the Transit Center :eek:

Last night was a perfect example of why we need express bus service 24/7 on the X1 at least. I was having a great time w/friends and had to bolt from the bar hopping and smoking of the good stuff we were doing because I didn't feel like dealing w/the slow @ss ferry. It wasn't even that late either, but in my inebriated state, I would've been in no shape to deal with the ferry. For the first time ever I almost missed my stop. Basically passed out once we reached Staten Island and woke up just in time to see that we were at the light at Hylan and Clove. Apparently the bell was broken and luckily for me someone else needed the stop too otherwise I could've been on the bus all the way down until the Transit Center :eek:

I remember this one time I had a similar night as yours and the 2am ferry broke down at St. George with no replacement until 3-3:30 and my friends and I chipped in for a cab just outside whitehall. It took no more than 25 minutes to get home but it cost $40 bucks! :eek:

The express buses don't do me any good, but you get the idea: There is way too much service along Richmond Avenue. The S44 itself isn't that reliable: It does have its moments, but the thing is that I don't need the S44 specifically.

The point I was trying to make was that there is excess service along this street. If some buses were stored in the Castleton Depot and started/ended at Post/Jewett Avenue, that would be provide service to where it is needed

You do have the option of the (R)->S53 (which is more than most X1 riders can say), but I agree that 24/7 service would definitely be needed.

I remember this one time I had a similar night as yours and the 2am ferry broke down at St. George with no replacement until 3-3:30 and my friends and I chipped in for a cab just outside whitehall. It took no more than 25 minutes to get home but it cost $40 bucks! :eek:

It was $40 total, right? Not $40 per person?

You do have the option of the (R)->S53 (which is more than most X1 riders can say), but I agree that 24/7 service would definitely be needed.

Oh please. Nobody wants to deal with that. You go to the city get hammered, hit the bong and see how cranky you'd be dealing with the slowest train in the world, aka the (R) making all local stops and then having to make a stupid transfer in Bay Ridge. That was NOT an option in my situation, hence why I had to leave instead of continuing with my friends at the bar. I'd rather take a taxi from the city than deal with that. The last time I tolerated it coming from a party in Brooklyn a month ago or so, I had to leave Brooklyn using the (L) then take the (R) back into Brooklyn again from the city to get all the way down to Bay Ridge and then take the S53. That trip almost took 3 hours but I tolerated it because I was wasted, but not nearly as smashed as I was last night, but I was cursing to myself the whole time and promised myself I wouldn't deal with that again unless it was absolutely necessary. My trip last night took an hour basically.

Yeah, well I basically wound up paying just as much as you did minus $7.00 or so. I took a yellow cab there at Penn Station (8th Ave side) since I saw them lined up because I was just too f*cked up to make it over to 5th in time to catch an X1. I had just finished up some shots from a bar nearby and I was still thinking that I was going to miss the last one, so I told the guy he had 15 minutes to get to Battery Pl and Broadway and basically to step on it, otherwise I'd miss my express bus and he was cool about it. He went over to West St and took that all the way down and came around like that over by Pearl St. The thing is I wanted him to drop me right at that last X1 stop, but he left me by the Bowling Green subway stop instead. :(

I was going to b*tch about it and have him circle around, but then I kept thinking I didn't have time for him to do that even though I'm sure he would've, so I just swiped my Amex card, tipped him his 20% and got out since I didn't want to be a spoiled brat. lol

No sooner than I got out and looked up the street did I see an X1 there. I had sobered up enough during the ride apparently to haul @ss up the street with my Duane Reade bags (I had the munchies and didn't know what I wanted to eat so I picked up a few things lol) and ran with my laptop bag until I got to the stop. Luckily folks were getting on and the B/O waited until I got there.

Once I reached Staten Island, I called another taxi to meet me at Clove and Hylan to take me the rest of the way to the house, which was $15.00 with the tip, so it was almost $33.00 total, as the other taxi in the city cost me $17.16 with the tip.

Oh please. Nobody wants to deal with that. You go to the city get hammered, hit the bong and see how cranky you'd be dealing with the slowest train in the world, aka the (R) making all local stops and then having to make a stupid transfer in Bay Ridge. That was NOT an option in my situation, hence why I had to leave instead of continuing with my friends at the bar. I'd rather take a taxi from the city than deal with that. The last time I tolerated it coming from a party in Brooklyn a month ago or so, I had to leave Brooklyn using the (L) then take the (R) back into Brooklyn again from the city to get all the way down to Bay Ridge and then take the S53. That trip almost took 3 hours but I tolerated it because I was wasted, but not nearly as smashed as I was last night, but I was cursing to myself the whole time and promised myself I wouldn't deal with that again unless it was absolutely necessary. My trip last night took an hour basically.

A service shouldn't be run just because a couple of people felt like getting wasted. But if there are is enough ridership to support it, then the service should be run.

A service shouldn't be run just because a couple of people felt like getting wasted. But if there are is enough ridership to support it, then the service should be run.

Well duh, that's the point. :P lol There is enough ridership of wasted people alone to support it. :(

Archived