Al Sharpton rips candidate Herman Cain

MHV9218

The only tone I saw when he said that was stupidity, not racism, but if you say so. It's racist no matter who says that: you do not call perfectly classy black women nappy-headed hoes! That's racist! It just is. Now, my point is that like it or not, there's a real difference between him saying that and Chris Rock. Racist both ways, but there's something different and there's no getting around that.

Re: Germans / Italians, you're right but my point would have worked with any white people besides the Italians, just as they were considered "lesser" at that point in time.

At that point and time... lol Yeah, we're still considered beneath the Germans. Northern Europeans are seen as better than us "swarthier" Southern Europeans and Southern Europe and Western Europe is still better than Eastern Europe. Not much has changed believe it or not.

And who said they were "classy"? lol

....Don Imus.... Like I said, how can anyone take him seriously??? You said it yourself. There are different "standards" because of past history which is BS. It was considered racist solely because Imus is white as if whites can't make jokes about blacks.

again, it's dam near always referred to as being a joke when a racist comment is aimed towards someone/some group of ppl... it's the easiest thing to hide behind & a feasible way of downplaying it...

and I don't buy that whole point of view about dude tryna be funny while soundin hood... b/c he said somethin about those girls being roughnecks also... even if you don't believe he was racist w/ the comment, at the very least the man was tryna be insulting, while tryna pass it all off as humor.... tryna sound hood is not what would have made his comment racist anyway....

....And it wasn't like Imus was being paid to make people laugh. When Chris Rock says a comment like that, people know they're gonna hear that. It's racist but it's real funny too. Don Imus is talking about a basketball game and he out of the blue calls them that? There's a thin line between angry racism and humor and he broke that nicely.

And I'm gonna go out here and say it: there's a difference between a white man making a racist comment towards black people and a black man making the same comment.....

That is what I didn't understand about that whole avenue of bringing up comedians/comedy... Imus is a radio personality (as far as I know)....

It's not just via & 553 that feels that way about the comment being racist b/c a white man said it.... like you (MHV) said, it's still racist when a black man says it to another black man.... but it is taken to be much more insulting (at the very least) when someone of one race makes a comment to someone of a different (especially an opposing) race.....

That's why I asked them the question, what makes a comment racist....

Well I mean there is truly tons of racism left in Europe, don't even get me started on the awful, awful racism of North to South in Italy. You're Sicilian, no? You must be fully aware of that, it's just godawful.

Who said they weren't? One of those statements is a bigger jump to make without meeting somebody...

Yep, father's side is Sicilian... :cool: Funny... One of the things I analyzed was North South relations while living in Italy. It's ironic that I lived in the North (Florence) as a guy with Sicilian roots and I speak Italian like a Northerner. My Florentine accent is picked up immediately by other Italians. A month or so ago, I was on 5th Ave and these Italian middle aged women asked me for directions to St. Cathedral's and after assuming originally that they were Spaniards, I then realized that they were Italian and started up in Italian. They actually stopped me and asked if I had lived in Florence and I confirmed accordingly and the three of us chuckled.

Regarding the Rutgers chicks, I'm still wondering who said they were classy?? :confused:

again, it's dam near always referred to as being a joke when a racist comment is aimed towards someone/some group of ppl... it's the easiest thing to hide behind & a feasible way of downplaying it...

and I don't buy that whole point of view about dude tryna be funny while soundin hood... b/c he said somethin about those girls being roughnecks also... even if you don't believe he was racist w/ the comment, at the very least the man was tryna be insulting, while tryna pass it all off as humor.... tryna sound hood is not what would have made his comment racist anyway....

I just listened to the link above... He was trying to be cute like I said. Just listen to what he says. He starts out talking about how they all have tattoos and are so rough. Mind you it looks like most of the women on the other team are black also (albeit far lighter than the black women on the Rutgers team), but he doesn't refer to them as nappy headed hoes. I think what he was really trying to say was that they were less "feminine" than the other team and more "ghetto" and manlier. No question about it. It was an insult, but even then I laughed my @ss off. After hearing it I guess you could indeed argue that it was racist. However, IMO, I felt like he felt like he was just making a statement that perhaps he didn't feel was going to cause an uproar, so he stuck his foot in his mouth. I've actually saw that Spike Lee movie that he refers to in the clip.

He makes the comparison between the nice looking girls and the "jigaboos". In the Spike Lee movie, there are several instances of racial/colour insults/undertones in which the lighter skin chicks are viewed as better (i.e. more feminine and better looking) than the darker skinned black girls who are seen as more masculine, have bad hair and are seen as more threatening. All in all they are considered as less appealing and ghetto looking in comparison to the lighter skinned chicks.

Clearly to me that's what Imus was trying to say, that the black girls on the Rutgers team looked

"busted" or "tore up" and yeah I do find it funny mainly because of how he was saying it. However, yes I can see how some people would be upset, because it can be viewed as insulting, especially to darker skinned black women.

I'll tell you a story. One of my clients was a dark skinned black lady who worked at the U.N. I didn't know she was black until I met her, and she didn't know I was mixed. Anyway, we had a bite to eat and got into a long convo. and somehow it spilled over into darker skinned black women. She told me that I looked as if I didn't interact a lot with black folks, to which I responded that I don't because quite frankly in my field (linguistics) there really aren't many black folks and I'm the only one with any sort of real "color" in my office being a mixed dude (my office is entirely white). She got extremely emotional when talking about how people viewed her as being less attractive because she was dark skinned; how they don't want to sit next to her on the train or they hesitate and such. I felt bad for her because I have no idea what that's like, so I suppose that's part of the problem.

Me being mixed and all, I guess I can't relate to her pain because I'm not dark skinned and yeah I have been around folks who have made those types of jokes, but the thing is they're made without much thought, mainly because we have no clue what they go through and how they are scorned on a daily basis.

fam, Imus has a history of makin racist comments though... that's another reason why I don't believe it's solely as innocent as the way you're describing it to me.... People like that know how to mask racist thoughts/commentary quite well....

oh of course he was tryna insult those girls; that much can't be disputed... but as far as I see, he went the extra mile & put the whammy on a whole 'notha level on it.... there are times where people take so-called "jokes" just too dam far....

and yeah, unfortunately there is a rift b/w dark skinned black women & light skinned black women... I don't even wanna get into that on here...

Imus' comment was both racist/misogynistic. He really shouldn't have gone there with the comment because it just further implies the fact that the coarse hair texture of an African-American is largely frowned upon in contemporary society.

That is why there are harsh chemical agents marketed towards people in order to gain such appearances. Good old sodium hydroxide. Great stuff once you put in into your hair.

But enough about that. I'm no fan of Al Sharpton because he usually takes things too far at times and I could really care less about these guys on TV. I'd like to see results towards the recovery of this country, which has been horribly beaten and maimed by the cruel and wicked. You all should know who I'm talking about there.

At that point and time... lol Yeah, we're still considered beneath the Germans. Northern Europeans are seen as better than us "swarthier" Southern Europeans and Southern Europe and Western Europe is still better than Eastern Europe. Not much has changed believe it or not.

And who said they were "classy"? lol

That because they have a small percentage of immigrants living in the Continent and unlike the U.S they don't have civil rights,were as the U.S we treat are baseball players from any country they come from like heroes. The Spain soccer team had a black player from Africa and people of Spain didn't like it and so they call the black player a monkey.also some Germans and parts of Europe are still loyal to the Nazi regime.

Not every country is perfect.

Archived