Verzion FIOS Question?

Shortline Bus

I still want to see the Jersey Shore area get it. I'm sure they wouldn't mind faster internet and better phone, but is the TV really that expensive?

Melvin earlier in the topic states he pays around $200 for digital cable, phone and internet living in Bronx and 'stuck' with cablevision.

Ahh, I see... Yeah just be careful though because I wasn't aware that the promotion I got was for only a few months into the commitment. They call it a commitment, but it's still like a contract quite frankly. You should ask what exactly that "commitment" entails...

Did they install new lines in your place? If you get the old wiring replaced you get much better results.

In newer buildings slow speeds shouldn't be an issue.

But if its not a new building or new wires......

The only problem with FiOS is that if something goes wrong, you have to deal with the brain dead idiots that they have at their CS.

Also, it's not available everywhere. Anywhere south of Toms River in NJ and you're stuck with Comcast.

So very true!

Did they install new lines in your place? If you get the old wiring replaced you get much better results.

So very true!

So 'heaven forbid' in a blue moon situation, power goes down and you call FIOS '800' number could you be in touch with clueless Customer Service?:eek:

Well I live in a house and rent part of it from a relative. FiOS was already installed here for internet, but I had them install my own FiOS for my apartment since I wanted wireless access. :P

I don't know what the case is for my family, but when I use their FiOS wireless, it's faster than my wired internet. It's awful. I suppose they installed lines on almost all of Long Island... just want to see them drive out all the annoying ass Philadelphia stations from the Jersey Shore.

So 'heaven forbid' in a blue moon situation, power goes down and you call FIOS '800' number could you be in touch with clueless Customer Service?:eek:

Many of the techs are not pros on FIOS yet. Its going to take a few more years for them to get used to everything.

Well I live in a house and rent part of it from a relative. FiOS was already installed here for internet, but I had them install my own FiOS for my apartment since I wanted wireless access. :P

Yeah, you should get great service then.

Crystal clear picture on TV and PC, and near flawless internet connection.

Since I have Cablevision, I might as well respond to those that actually have CV. :P

Fios isn't available where I live in the Bronx. $200 for telephone, cable and internet and I don't even have movie channels is an outrage, Cablevision sucks. :tdown:
Same here. My mom actually payed that much at one point: Family Cable, iO en Esp (since late 2008), Starz/Encore (Cinemax in July 2010 and HBO in March 2011), HD DVR (Dec 2008 to Dec 2010), Internet, Phone and World Call. Plus, 2 cable boxes and remotes. It's basically the same now, except that I went back to Starz/Encore and no DVR. HBO was really pricey IMO and their focus is original series than movies... Cinemax was actually good though since they air better movies than Starz.

My family has Optimum/Cablevision and we pay $142.00/monthly. We get basic cable, regular internet, and the usual phone package.
I'd do anything to convince my mom to eliminate the useless network television channels (downgrade to Basic Cable from Family Cable) since I don't watch ANY of those useless channels. She won't get rid of it because the price will literally skyrocket if I eliminate Family Cable. I believe that internet and phone prices goes up by an extra $5-10, and iO Esp will be worth $15 instead of $7. I hate how Cablevision convinces everyone to get Family Cable in order to get a useless discount along with phone and net service. You're not even saving a damn penny at all. (speaking in general)

Last I checked, my bill fror the Triple Play from CV wasn't above $130.... do they hate NYC or something?
At one point, my mom payed at least $120-130 for the basic stuff after the 2-year promo expired (cable, net, and phone) with no additional packages.

Yup in total, it's 181.20 plus taxes 201.96. The only extra features I have is a DVR and the international spanish channels, both combined are less than $20.
You're better off spooking the sh*t of them representatives. When my mom decided to cut all Cablevision services for Direc TV, we had to stay with CV a day later since satellite is banned in my building. They were nice enough to offer us a 2 year-discount for what we currently have, even though we never made the change: Family, io Esp, Starz/Encore (I went back to Starz 2 weeks ago), Phone, World Call, and Net combined = $156 until October 2012. Now that's what I call an excellent deal, even though their technology sucks.

As a former Brooklyn resident my parents used to have Cablevision when our area of Coney Island finally got cable(one of the last neighborhood in NYC to get it)in the early '90's. Back then they were worse i.e crappy tv reception, rude customer service agents, etc.

After reading Bronx Express comments, I see they got a little bit better but they still 'suck.' It's azaming how the Dolan family the founders of Cablevision and current Knicks/Rangers Owners became Billionaries.

As much as TWC at least here in Poughkeepsie area are also expensive, their customer service/quality of service is pretty good.

I did lost all services internet, tv and home phone for 2-3 days 2x due to a snowstorm and thuderstorm. So i guess none of these companies are perfect.

Thus I am 90% sure i will be dumping TWC for FIOS by end of this month 7/31 unless someone here tells me they had a bad experience with FIOS.

Again thanks to the guys here who are FIOS customers about their very good expereinces with them.

And Bronx Express is 100% correct:tup:. Every once in a while, at least 2 months or so no matter the provider i.e FIOS, Cablevision, Direct TV, Comcast or TWC you should call CSR to see if they 'discounts' on new or existing packages.

That how I am able to get HBO 'free' few months a year as well without having to pay an extra $15-$20 a month.

Yup in total, it's 181.20 plus taxes 201.96. The only extra features I have is a DVR and the international spanish channels, both combined are less than $20.

I have cablevision as well and I can agree we're not getting our money's worth. I have the family package with three DVRs and the HBO channels with HBO on Demand and the service sucks. Countless outages and signal problems...my Internet went out for three days. My mom calls then several times a month and receives credit to make up for the lost service. I don't think FiOS is available where I am, otherwise my Monday's she would have made the switch.

The first thing I plan on doing in the next two-three years when I get my own place, SHOULD I get my own place, is subscribe to FiOS :cool:

After reading Bronx Express comments, I see they got a little bit better but they still 'suck.' It's azaming how the Dolan family the founders of Cablevision and current Knicks/Rangers Owners became Billionaries.

Thats cause everyone has cablevision. Even though it sucks CV has been around for a couple of decades and FiOS has been around for a couple of years. Many people are loyal to CV. And CV also going on and on about the lower prices. In this case the thing thats more expesnsive is better.

My family is loyal to FiOS but many aren't. FiOS is becoming more and more popular every day though. My family went with FiOS right when it came out to. And I have to say

LETS GO FIOS

I'll chime in on this topic, too.

I'm currently a Cablevision subscriber at my first home; and FiOS at my second home. And, the only reason I'm still a CV subscriber because FiOS isn't available in Crown Heights, as of yet, nor have I seen Verizon installing new cabling anywhere in the neighborhood, so I'm far ways off.

FiOS at my second home in Midwood, Brooklyn is completely superior to any telecom provider present in the US. The triple play package is incredible as I'm paying almost $85 per month for 25 Mbps symmetrical internet service; FiOS digital voice; and their Extreme HD package.

Now, let me clarify the whole television experience - it surpasses any cable operator. Most cable operators, such as CV and TW will try to cram several channels into a specific QAM, which degrades the picture quality overall as it's compressed. However, with FiOS, they cram only two HD channels onto a single QAM which there's no compression at all, at least from FiOS' network (now if the picture is compressed at all, it's probably due to the feed their receiving from the sender).

Overall, get FiOS. Be happy. :-)

P.S. a good place to learn more about your options is at Broadband Reports, more specifically their FiOS forum -- > http://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzfiber

I'll chime in on this topic, too.

I'm currently a Cablevision subscriber at my first home; and FiOS at my second home. And, the only reason I'm still a CV subscriber because FiOS isn't available in Crown Heights, as of yet, nor have I seen Verizon installing new cabling anywhere in the neighborhood, so I'm far ways off.

FiOS at my second home in Midwood, Brooklyn is completely superior to any telecom provider present in the US. The triple play package is incredible as I'm paying almost $85 per month for 25 Mbps symmetrical internet service; FiOS digital voice; and their Extreme HD package.

Now, let me clarify the whole television experience - it surpasses any cable operator. Most cable operators, such as CV and TW will try to cram several channels into a specific QAM, which degrades the picture quality overall as it's compressed. However, with FiOS, they cram only two HD channels onto a single QAM which there's no compression at all, at least from FiOS' network (now if the picture is compressed at all, it's probably due to the feed their receiving from the sender).

Overall, get FiOS. Be happy. :-)

P.S. a good place to learn more about your options is at Broadband Reports, more specifically their FiOS forum -- > http://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzfiber

I'm still wondering why my dad stuck with CV for years. When Charles Dolan owned it at the start of last decade, it was the best thing ever and Verizon had nothing on Optimum's level, but since the introduction of FiOS and his son's taking over, it's been going downhill slowly.

I will give Optimum Voice a nice review, though, because I've had no complaints at all, and the popup on the TV also helps if you're far away from a phone. There was some struggle when my dad decided to get the Triple Play and we lost our original number. My dad had to scare them into giving it back.

Joel Up Front -

Verizon's product has always been superior, even prior to their FiOS service, with their ADSL service. I speak from experience to be honest and I'll explain.

I've been a long-time CV subscriber because it's literally the only option in my neighborhood since 2001, and then Optimum Online roll-out in 2003 here; prior to CV we had a service call Cellular Vision which seem quite low-budget service, but it was cable, and we were satisfied --- however, that's another story.

Back in the day, with CV's Optimum Online product, they produced 10 Mbps / 1 Mbps service for their customers, which is incredibly awesome as that was 'the hype' back then; versus their competitor, Verizon, which was only able to supply based on loop length (the longer your loop the more your service speed's degrade - but every technology has their limits, and that happened to be DSL's). I think we're talking 1.5 Mbps / 384 kbps for VZ, back then. The speeds are incredibly different, but that's for ad promotions.

However, the comparison above is 'speed' limits, only, but now we need to talk reliability.

Verizon has always maintained an excellent uptime rate for either of their services, versus their competition around New York City, e.g., CV; TW; RCN & Satellite operators, which is why I'd always recommend their service in the face of any one, for the best buck, too.

Remember, guys, you should always choose what best suites you, and not what their pushing in the advertisement. Think long-term. Also, keep in mind, Verizon's FiOS service is a new FTTH product that will surpass any operator for years, as most use a hybrid system which continually needs upgrades and such "just to keep up for the years".

Side-note: I'm switching to FiOS to second it's available in my neighborhood because it gets to the point when you're just tired of shelling your money away, at an high rate, for unreliable service, and a digital cable system that sucks. How can I truly enjoy my HDTV when you're cramming everything onto a single QAM thus compressing the quality. I'll take FiOS, any day.

Also, why would I continue paying almost $200 per month, for "double play" service (Internet & iO Gold) when I can save a little over $100 per month by switching to the competition, for my needs, and reliability. Do I really want to continue calling CV's brainless techs to have something resolved? No, thanks.

But let me fall back from the rant, just a tad bit.. :P

Great comments Acela below. Buyer be ware.:tup:

Joel Up Front -

Verizon's product has always been superior, even prior to their FiOS service, with their ADSL service. I speak from experience to be honest and I'll explain.

I've been a long-time CV subscriber because it's literally the only option in my neighborhood since 2001, and then Optimum Online roll-out in 2003 here; prior to CV we had a service call Cellular Vision which seem quite low-budget service, but it was cable, and we were satisfied --- however, that's another story.

Back in the day, with CV's Optimum Online product, they produced 10 Mbps / 1 Mbps service for their customers, which is incredibly awesome as that was 'the hype' back then; versus their competitor, Verizon, which was only able to supply based on loop length (the longer your loop the more your service speed's degrade - but every technology has their limits, and that happened to be DSL's). I think we're talking 1.5 Mbps / 384 kbps for VZ, back then. The speeds are incredibly different, but that's for ad promotions.

However, the comparison above is 'speed' limits, only, but now we need to talk reliability.

Verizon has always maintained an excellent uptime rate for either of their services, versus their competition around New York City, e.g., CV; TW; RCN & Satellite operators, which is why I'd always recommend their service in the face of any one, for the best buck, too.

Remember, guys, you should always choose what best suites you, and not what their pushing in the advertisement. Think long-term. Also, keep in mind, Verizon's FiOS service is a new FTTH product that will surpass any operator for years, as most use a hybrid system which continually needs upgrades and such "just to keep up for the years".

Side-note: I'm switching to FiOS to second it's available in my neighborhood because it gets to the point when you're just tired of shelling your money away, at an high rate, for unreliable service, and a digital cable system that sucks. How can I truly enjoy my HDTV when you're cramming everything onto a single QAM thus compressing the quality. I'll take FiOS, any day.

Also, why would I continue paying almost $200 per month, for "double play" service (Internet & iO Gold) when I can save a little over $100 per month by switching to the competition, for my needs, and reliability. Do I really want to continue calling CV's brainless techs to have something resolved? No, thanks.

But let me fall back from the rant, just a tad bit.. :(

Wow! This is one of the few times i ever seen the posters here be so happy on a product. In this it case it seems almost everyone here loves FIOS.

So i will dump TWC and switch to FIOS next month.

Quite frankly Verizon is the best in terms of quality for what you pay esp. here in NYC. The thing is some folks are too cheap to shell out the dough for their service, but Verizon basically tries to provide good service, this way they don't have customers calling up to b*tch and complain. Now of course they aren't perfect and some people have had bad experiences, but me personally with FiOS I have had no problems. Service has been great even during bad snow storms, etc and I have wireless internet here in my apartment. Like I said, the only thing you have to be careful of is them creeping in additional hidden charges.

They may also want to charge you for having a technician come out, so be sure to confirm that as well or when something needs to be repaired, but again I'd rather pay more for quality than pay less and spend more time on the phone aggravated.

Wow! This is one of the few times i ever seen the posters here be so happy on a product. In this it case it seems almost everyone here loves FIOS.

So i will dump TWC and switch to FIOS next month.

Haha, I'm trying to convince my parents to do the same.

Archived