Artics on the Bx41

'89 Liberty MCI

Does the Bx41 need Artics anymore? If anything I was thinking it should only use Artics on the weekend when there is no Bx55, because I've seen and rode the Bx41 at the height of the weekday rush and have only seen a couple of passengers standing on those buses at most. This is after passing the peak load point (northbound it's the Hub and southbound it's Fordham Road).

Generally speaking everybody is seated and there are even seats open for the entire trip. Additionally there are other routes in Kingsbridge and elsewhere (Bx19 in West Farms, Bx40/42 in Gun Hill) that need Artics much more than the Bx41, yet use a few 40 footers on a regular basis due to a shortage of Artics. Or yard dispatchers behaving strangely and putting any bus on any route.

Maybe someone like COTB16 aka Lenin who our "bronx' bus expert or someone else that lives in the boro can better answer that question.

I live in upstate Ducthess County so i am only in the '5' boros on weekends usually 1-2x a month. If what you saying is true, than yes the (BX41) should cut back on artics. However I thought in the Bronx since I think most of their depots has a sizable fleet of them they are 'rotated' on different lines like the regular 40-foot buses.

Kind of. Artic lines are supposed to use Artics 100% of the time. Unless there is an emergency such as a snowstorm. Some standard lines get Artics from time to time (Bx36, M100) but this does not mean that designated Artic lines should be using anything other than Artics just so standard lines that occasionally use Artics can get some.

The buses are rotated, but they are rotated in ways that are incorrect. You can't steal Artics from an Artic line and use shorties instead. It doesn't make sense and intending passengers get left in the street when that happens.

Maybe someone like COTB16 aka Lenin who our "bronx' bus expert or someone else that lives in the boro can better answer that question.

I live in upstate Ducthess County so i am only in the '5' boros on weekends usually 1-2x a month. If what you saying is true, than yes the (BX41) should cut back on artics. However I thought in the Bronx since I think most of their depots has a sizable fleet of them they are 'rotated' on different lines like the regular 40-foot buses.

The only time I've seen the Bx41 crowded is indeed during the rush hour. That is the only time period where artics are needed. I do agree on bringing in 40 footers to this route since most of the riders in the Morrisania and East Tremont neighborhoods prefer the Bx15/55 over the Bx41 due to its bunching and lateness problems that have been plaguing this route since the 90s (when I used to live in Fordham). Even on weekends when the Bx55 doesn't run, the Bx41 doesn't get extra riders from it.

The only time I've seen the Bx41 crowded is indeed during the rush hour. That is the only time period where artics are needed. I do agree on bringing in 40 footers to this route since most of the riders in the Morrisania and East Tremont neighborhoods prefer the Bx15/55 over the Bx41 due to its bunching and lateness problems that have been plaguing this route since the 90s (when I used to live in Fordham). Even on weekends when the Bx55 doesn't run, the Bx41 doesn't get extra riders from it.

Being the Bronx bus expert Lenin I take your word on this BX41 issue.:tup:

Does the Bx41 need Artics anymore? If anything I was thinking it should only use Artics on the weekend when there is no Bx55, because I've seen and rode the Bx41 at the height of the weekday rush and have only seen a couple of passengers standing on those buses at most. This is after passing the peak load point (northbound it's the Hub and southbound it's Fordham Road).

Generally speaking everybody is seated and there are even seats open for the entire trip. Additionally there are other routes in Kingsbridge and elsewhere (Bx19 in West Farms, Bx40/42 in Gun Hill) that need Artics much more than the Bx41, yet use a few 40 footers on a regular basis due to a shortage of Artics. Or yard dispatchers behaving strangely and putting any bus on any route.

um... u must not live on that line! the line gets light from fordham to white planes, but the southern part or the route, mainly between 149 and 171 st/Webster it is alot of people. and rush hour am and pm it get crazy! so to answer ur question, is there a need? yes because with 40's those trip will really be unpleasant!

I agree with Shondrae. The Bx41 is pretty light to Tremont (Not rly fordham tho). Tremont it does increases slightly. Going north Bound from 149th Street and up it does get packed, EVEN heading to Williamsbridge.. Yes ive seen and rode it lots of times.

I live in Bronx all my life and I will tell you in the mid 90s before Artics made the scene on BX41,the Orion Vs were packed like crazy on that route,

That is true. I've always hated getting on at Fordham or Gun Hill during the 90s before the artics. I haven't rode the Bx41 since last year before the terminal swap so I haven't seen how the Bx39 and Bx41 are doing with the ridership to/from Gun Hill.

I don't know how many artics they use on the route now but I know when the route had 40s, they ran 27 buses.

I don't live by the Bx41 and don't see it every day. Can someone provide a picture of an Artic on the Bx41 with a typical rush hour crowd? I don't mean to be a bug but I would like photographic evidence of what necessitates Artics on that line. I just don't see the point anymore with the loads I've seen at the height of rush hour and given the fact that other Artic lines need the Artics more and sometimes do not get them. For example the Bx9. It's not a question of 80 people on a Bx9 bus vs. 75 on a Bx41 bus, it's more like 80 vs. 50 or 60 (at the height of rush hour!), and under those circumstance, which I have seen for myself, the Bx41 should have exclusively shorties while the Bx9 and others (Bx1/2, Bx55 etc) should have exclusively Artics. I've seen people get left in the street when they messed up and put shorties on busy Artic lines like the Bx1/2, Bx9, and Bx19, and I know if they put that shortie on the Bx41, people would not get left in the street. I don't live along the Bx41 but I am willing to bet on the validity of that statement.

I don't live by the Bx41 and don't see it every day. Can someone provide a picture of an Artic on the Bx41 with a typical rush hour crowd? I don't mean to be a bug but I would like photographic evidence of what necessitates Artics on that line. I just don't see the point anymore with the loads I've seen at the height of rush hour and given the fact that other Artic lines need the Artics more and sometimes do not get them. For example the Bx9. It's not a question of 80 people on a Bx9 bus vs. 75 on a Bx41 bus, it's more like 80 vs. 50 or 60 (at the height of rush hour!), and under those circumstance, which I have seen for myself, the Bx41 should have exclusively shorties while the Bx9 and others (Bx1/2, Bx55 etc) should have exclusively Artics. I've seen people get left in the street when they messed up and put shorties on busy Artic lines like the Bx1/2, Bx9, and Bx19, and I know if they put that shortie on the Bx41, people would not get left in the street. I don't live along the Bx41 but I am willing to bet on the validity of that statement.

You dont need "Proof". i can take a pick of any artic out of KB from the Inside and say its a 41 so that will prove nothing! Take it from people tht Live on that route and take it almost everyday!

You can take a picture from the outside (looking at the side of the bus), I see how crowded the bus is by looking through the windows, the way I know it's a Bx41 is by either seeing a route sign or by seeing the background and knowing that it's somewhere along Webster Avenue, or by seeing street signs saying Webster Avenue.

But anyway. You mean to tell me that if they take Artics off the Bx41, people will be left in the street? The same way it happens on busier lines? I mean, since they truncated the Bx41, I've seen short buses on that line that were less than half full. And that was in the northbound direction, right before they reached Fordham. I've seen two or three buses at a time (Artics and shorties) reach Fordham going northbound with few people on them. Looked pretty manageable (without Artics) to me..

I would be livid if I lived on a route that once had very frequent service when RTS' were ran on it.... then to have artics thrown on it; over a time period of years, have those bad boys regularly fill up throughout the day... then to have a significant portion of the route truncated.... then to then have any type of 40 footer thrown on the route...

You can take a picture from the outside (looking at the side of the bus), I see how crowded the bus is by looking through the windows, the way I know it's a Bx41 is by either seeing a route sign or by seeing the background and knowing that it's somewhere along Webster Avenue, or by seeing street signs saying Webster Avenue.

But anyway. You mean to tell me that if they take Artics off the Bx41, people will be left in the street? The same way it happens on busier lines? I mean, since they truncated the Bx41, I've seen short buses on that line that were less than half full. And that was in the northbound direction, right before they reached Fordham. I've seen two or three buses at a time (Artics and shorties) reach Fordham going northbound with few people on them. Looked pretty manageable (without Artics) to me..

Once again the busiest part of the line served WAS NOT CUT!!!!!!

The White Plains Road part of the route was pretty busy at times. Bx41.

He meant the busiest part as along Webster Avenue (first between Fordham and Gun Hill, then between 149th and 170th Sts).

He meant the busiest part as along Webster Avenue (first between Fordham and Gun Hill, then between 149th and 170th Sts).

Well still, TBH, the (MTA) shouldnt have cut Wakefield service on the BX41. If you ever go to Gun Hill/Webster and notice the Northbound BX41.. It is PACKED as CRAZY.. The (MTA) should of at least just then let the BX41 / BX39 run together..

Coming from Wakefield..... hell yeah 41's were pretty busy !

towards Wakefield, north of Gunhill, not so much.... it definitely had its riders though....

Yeah but as mentioned above, the Bx41 get packed bro around GH heading northbound to WPR.

Well still, TBH, the (MTA) shouldnt have cut Wakefield service on the BX41. If you ever go to Gun Hill/Webster and notice the Northbound BX41.. It is PACKED as CRAZY.. The (MTA) should of at least just then let the BX41 / BX39 run together..

Yeah but as mentioned above, the Bx41 get packed bro around GH heading northbound to WPR.

Couldn't agree with you more about the stops before and at Gun Hill. I used to get on at Gun Hill and there was also a ton of people waiting to get on. However, I don't think there's a need for two artic routes to travel north up White Plains Rd. I still have to go down there and ride the Bx39 end to end to see how that's working out.

Damn, I'm out of dap again.... ah well...

that last part is news to me... I don't remember seeing crazy crowded northbound 41's north of gunhill.... guess I'll take y'alls word on that note....

Yeh, the MTA should've left the 39 ending at GH & the 41 goin up to Wakefield.... from what I've always noticed, those gettin off 39's @ GH xferred to 28's more then they did to 41's

running 39's & 41's together though, nah, I don't think that would have been necessary, I'm w/ Bx41 Wakefield on that.....

It varies (at least, the way how I saw it).

The Hub-bound buses would start out crowded at Williamsbridge, and the bus would feel empty upon reaching Fordham. That happened during the weekend.

Williamsbridge-bound buses would be somewhat crowded during midday hours, and it gets empty after Fordham.

Rush hours, it's definitely crowded.

It varies (at least, the way how I saw it).

The Hub-bound buses would start out crowded at Williamsbridge, and the bus would feel empty upon reaching Fordham. That happened during the weekend.

Williamsbridge-bound buses would be somewhat crowded during midday hours, and it gets empty after Fordham.

Rush hours, it's definitely crowded.

i thoughtt they cut the 41 cuz it was too long

i thoughtt they cut the 41 cuz it was too long
I read an article somewhere that the Bx41 was way too infrequent from Wakefield to The Hub/Mott Haven.

If you're talking about why it was cut down from Wakefield to Williamsbridge, this is what the doomsday cuts document says:

Description of Action: This proposal reduces the frequency of bus service on White Plains Road under the subway between Gun Hill Road and the city line by extending less frequent Bx39 service to replace the more frequent Bx41 service. The table below details the changes to service frequencies on White Plains Road. Both routes will maintain adequate service to accommodate demand consistent with guidelines.

Customer Impact: ... The establishment of a through-White Plains Road bus would eliminate the need for some customers to transfer.

Archived