Artics on the Bx41

'89 Liberty MCI

I find the Bx. 41 should run back up to 241st. The 39 is waaay too infrequent, AND SLOW. I remember riding it in May and it took 50 minutes to go from 230th - Parkchester, according to Google Maps its a 6.1 mile ride. It is supposed to come every 12 minutes if I'm correct and while it does, everyone, or a good portion of the bus, empties at Gun Hill Road.

The 39 also bunches ALOT during the weekdays, you can find yourself waiting for a bus for more than 10 minutes to see a few of them coming at once.

It also ruined the one seat ride from the NE Bronx to Fordham Road which many people relied on.

The 41 needs to run back up White Plains Road, the 39 was always slow when it terminated at Gun Hill Road, extending it made it simply made it slower.

I find the Bx. 41 should run back up to 241st. The 39 is waaay too infrequent, AND SLOW. I remember riding it in May and it took 50 minutes to go from 230th - Parkchester, according to Google Maps its a 6.1 mile ride. It is supposed to come every 12 minutes if I'm correct and while it does, everyone, or a good portion of the bus, empties at Gun Hill Road.

The 39 also bunches ALOT during the weekdays, you can find yourself waiting for a bus for more than 10 minutes to see a few of them coming at once.

It also ruined the one seat ride from the NE Bronx to Fordham Road which many people relied on.

The 41 needs to run back up White Plains Road, the 39 was always slow when it terminated at Gun Hill Road, extending it made it simply made it slower.

The problem with the Bx41 returning to 241st St is that when it ran up there, it bunched badly (resulting in poor service for Webster Av, a much busier corridor than White Plains Rd). The Bx41's current run has improved bunching better than pre-2010.

For the Bx39, I wouldn't be surprised if that route either gets cut back to Pelham Parkway (2) station or is rerouted via Boston Road north of Pelham Pkwy (and could be an easy way to cut Bx30 service in the process).

I live near the Bx39 and I can tell you that service has increased especially during rush hrs. Now even with that, the 39 still does bunch especially northbound. But even with the bunching, it is still not as bad as it was with the Bx41 where routinely you could wait 30-45 minutes just for one or two buses to show up at Gun Hill goin toward 241 during middays and rush.:tdown:

You know, I compared the (Bx4) and the (Bx39) like the (B39) and the (B51). Either get rid of both of them or keep them. In this case, extend both of them or keep them as they are

It's easier to have a "keep both of them or get rid of both of them" mentality w/ the B39/B51, than it is to have it w/ the Bx4/Bx39....

Bx39 actually serves a residential community down in clason point though.... but I still see what you're gettin at in the comparison, though....

that's true... 39's did crawl from end to end when it terminated at gun hill, you're right about that....

The problem with the Bx41 returning to 241st St is that when it ran up there, it bunched badly (resulting in poor service for Webster Av, a much busier corridor than White Plains Rd). The Bx41's current run has improved bunching better than pre-2010.

For the Bx39, I wouldn't be surprised if that route either gets cut back to Pelham Parkway (2) station or is rerouted via Boston Road north of Pelham Pkwy (and could be an easy way to cut Bx30 service in the process).

1) yeah, that's true... but I still think the 41 should go back to serving WPR.... I'm almost certain that the simple problem of bus bunching wasn't a reason they truncated the 41.....

2) pelham pkwy. on the 2/5 is more likely; it would be moot to move the 39 off WPR north of pelham pkwy and up along Boston rd.... anyway, if 39's do end up gettin shortened to pelham pkwy IRT, clason point's gonna have 2 glorified shuttles (Bx27/Bx39) basically (lol)....

I don't see the Bx30 going no where....

As far as Boston road & the 39, where would you end artics? surely you're not running them inside co-op city....

It's easier to have a "keep both of them or get rid of both of them" mentality w/ the B39/B51, than it is to have it w/ the Bx4/Bx39....

Bx39 actually serves a residential community down in clason point though.... but I still see what you're gettin at in the comparison, though....

that's true... 39's did crawl from end to end when it terminated at gun hill, you're right about that....

1) yeah, that's true... but I still think the 41 should go back to serving WPR.... I'm almost certain that the simple problem of bus bunching wasn't a reason they truncated the 41.....

2) pelham pkwy. on the 2/5 is more likely; it would be moot to move the 39 off WPR north of pelham pkwy and up along Boston rd.... anyway, if 39's do end up gettin shortened to pelham pkwy IRT, clason point's gonna have 2 glorified shuttles (Bx27/Bx39) basically (lol)....

I don't see the Bx30 going no where....

As far as Boston road & the 39, where would you end artics? surely you're not running them inside co-op city....

Not to mention the Bx39 does serve parts of Parkchester where its by itself and other routes that are nearby (the bx22, bx36, Bx4, and Bx40/42) are mostly crosstown routes.

As for the Boston Rd part, I would probably end the Bx39 at either Ropes Av or the Dyre Av (5) station, forcing the Q50 to be restructured and run to Dyre Av to fill the void left by the Bx30.

Not to mention the Bx39 does serve parts of Parkchester where its by itself and other routes that are nearby (the bx22, bx36, Bx4, and Bx40/42) are mostly crosstown routes.

As for the Boston Rd part, I would probably end the Bx39 at either Ropes Av or the Dyre Av (5) station, forcing the Q50 to be restructured and run to Dyre Av to fill the void left by the Bx30.

You sure you wanna strip Co-Op access from Q50 customers?

You sure you wanna strip Co-Op access from Q50 customers?

No. What would probably happen is the Q50 would run local north of Pelham Bay Park via every section except Bellamy and terminate at Dyre Av (5) station.

MTA could cut the Bx30 without replacing it completely since in most cases (except for Co Op City Boston Road link) other routes would be there (though not as frequent).

MTA could just make a Bx25 and split up the Bx23 into another route that runs somewhere to the (5) train (Dyre or Baychester). This is a zero cost move since MTA Bus is paid for by NYC.

MTA could just let NYCDOT (Bx25) and WDOT (W60, W61, W62) pay for a Bx30 replacement. Bx28 and Bx38 handle the other part of the Bx30 route.

The Bx25 would run from Pelham Bay to section 5, then continue through Co Op City, turning off at Conner Street, then Boston Road.

In the 1980s when MTA discontinued the old Bx7 they let Bee Line handle lower Boston Road, they almost let Bee Line handle all of Boston Road on weekends during doomsday (weekend Bx30 service would have been eliminated, leaving the corridor to the W60 and W61, eliminating all Thanksgiving and Christmas service). Bee Line can even be used from Fordham Plaza to/from Boston Road/White Plains Road duplicating the Bx12, Bx12 SBS, and the Bx22 even with a slightly quicker ride due to the closed door operation on Fordham Road.

then the Bx23 would be 100% redundant....

No. The Bx23 would be the only Coop City bus to serve all 5 sections during the day while the Q50 would serve only 4 of them and head north to Eastchester.

ok, wait a second....

What would probably happen is the Q50 would run local north of Pelham Bay Park via every section except Bellamy

here you say "every section except bellamy"... (which no bus goes inside that loop anyway)...

^^ I bring up how redundant the Q50 serving every section, would be to the Bx23... then you switch up & say....

while the Q50 would serve only 4 of them and head north to Eastchester.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say overall, about this whole Q50 bit....

You say now the Q50 would serve only 4 sections....

The question I have now is, what section would it skip? section 5 ??

ok, wait a second....

here you say "every section except bellamy"... (which no bus goes inside that loop anyway)...

^^ I bring up how redundant the Q50 serving every section, would be to the Bx23... then you switch up & say....

My next question here is... what section would it skip?

Here's what could happen (in a recap) if they decide to do cuts again:

1. Bx39 runs to Dyre Av (5) station along Boston Rd & Bronx Park East north of Bronxdale Avenue (those wanting White Plains north of that must use the (2) line).

2. Bx30 gets killed off due to Bx39 on Boston Rd and Bx28/38 on Gun Hill Rd and in Coop City.

This in turn would result in complaints from Coop riders who want access to Boston Rd and points north.

3. As a result, Q50 is redone north of Pelham Bay park (6) station and terminates at the Dyre Av (5) station, servicing Sections 1-2-4-5 (every section except Bellamy Loop). It would make local stops north of Pelham Bay.

For those wanting a bus that serves all sections of Coop, use the Bx23.

Route: New England Thruway, Erskine Pl, Earhart Lane, Hutchinson Pkwy, Bartow Av, Asch Loop, Bartow Av, Baychester Av, Coop City Blvd, Dreiser Loop, Coop City Blvd, Peartree Av, Boston Rd, Dyre Av

Now that you explained yourself a lot better.....

Here's what could happen (in a recap) if they decide to do cuts again:

1. Bx39 runs to Dyre Av (5) station along Boston Rd & Bronx Park East north of Bronxdale Avenue (those wanting White Plains north of that must use the (2) line).

2. Bx30 gets killed off due to Bx39 on Boston Rd and Bx28/38 on Gun Hill Rd and in Coop City.

This in turn would result in complaints from Coop riders who want access to Boston Rd and points north.

3. As a result, Q50 is redone north of Pelham Bay park (6) station and terminates at the Dyre Av (5) station, servicing Sections 1-2-4-5 (every section except Bellamy Loop). It would make local stops north of Pelham Bay.

For those wanting a bus that serves all sections of Coop, use the Bx23.

Route: New England Thruway, Erskine Pl, Earhart Lane, Hutchinson Pkwy, Bartow Av, Asch Loop, Bartow Av, Baychester Av, Coop City Blvd, Dreiser Loop, Coop City Blvd, Peartree Av, Boston Rd, Dyre Av

I still don't see them gettin rid of the Bx30 no time soon; especially to send the Bx39 elsewhere (in this case, along boston rd) & to have the 50 serve Dyre subway..... the 50 isn't an NYCT route, so it wouldn't factor into any of that....

only way I see these cheapskates killin off the 30, is if they get rid of the 38 along w/ it, and have the 28 go back to serving every section like it once did.....

this is what I think they're setting up for... the 38 reeks of a temporary route IMO.....

Now that you explained yourself a lot better.....

I still don't see them gettin rid of the Bx30 no time soon; especially to send the Bx39 elsewhere (in this case, along boston rd) & to have the 50 serve Dyre subway..... the 50 isn't an NYCT route, so it wouldn't factor into any of that....

only way I see these cheapskates killin off the 30, is if they get rid of the 38 along w/ it, and have the 28 go back to serving every section like it once did.....

this is what I think they're setting up for... the 38 reeks of a temporary route IMO.....

With that first statement, remember that the MTA wanted to kill Bx30 weekend service the very first time the cuts were introduced in the spring of 2009 (only for that to be kept off the list later on).

Archived