He ducks underneath subway train & cheats death!

Trainspotter

A straphanger who fell from a Manhattan subway platform Tuesday dodged the wheels of a train by lying in the sunken space between the tracks as the train rolled over him.

Abdul Haque of Manhattan apparently stumbled and fell off the northbound platform of the (F) train at the Delancey St. station at 1:34 p.m., FDNY officials said.

The conductor slammed on the emergency brake, but the train didn't come to a stop until three cars had passed over the 55-year-old man, a Metropolitan Transportation Authority spokeswoman said. "Only thing he remembers is finding himself on the track," said Abdul Hafiz, Haque's 19-year-old son.

With only some cuts and bruises to his head, Haque was able to climb between cars back onto the platform before being taken out of the station on a stretcher.

Power on the tracks was shut off for about 30 minutes, and service was suspended between the Jay St., Brooklyn, and W. Fourth St. stations.

Haque was in stable condition at Bellevue Hospital last night. "He's just bruised. He's happy to be alive," said Hafiz.

From:nydailynews_logo.gificon_offsite.png - May 28, 2008

From:nydailynews_logo.gificon_offsite.png - May 28, 2008

Only one thing i can say...

STAY AWAY FROM THE EDGE OF THE PLATFORM!!!!

Then if you pass out you will fall to the floor of the platfrom not the roadbed then give a poor T/O all kinds of issues when you fall right in front of that train..

I speak from experience..

Every time i'm in a station i don't even stand near the warning strip unless there's that drainage area, or if i'm in a hurry and want to board quickly. When i'm near the edge i'll usually have one hand on a support column, or i'll be behind the railing that some stations have at the ends of the platforms. I don't understand why some people even use the warning strip as a sidewalk to walk 40-50 feet in front of the waiting crowd. I do suspect that at one point i will see one of these fools fall in. and potentially have to help them if there are few people nearby.

- Andy

Every time i'm in a station i don't even stand near the warning strip unless there's that drainage area, or if i'm in a hurry and want to board quickly. When i'm near the edge i'll usually have one hand on a support column, or i'll be behind the railing that some stations have at the ends of the platforms. I don't understand why some people even use the warning strip as a sidewalk to walk 40-50 feet in front of the waiting crowd. I do suspect that at one point i will see one of these fools fall in. and potentially have to help them if there are few people nearby.

- Andy

Another good tip is to wait by the FRONT of the platform. That way, aside from the usual caution that everyone should exercise, if you DO fall, are pushed, whatever, the T/O will have adequate space to stop because he can see you and by the time he gets to the front of the platform, he will be approaching you at a "safe speed" because he's preparing to make his normal station stop. And I put "Safe speed" in quotes because a train approaching a person on the tracks is never REALLY at a "safe speed"...

That said some common sense is really needed. The way I see some people waiting for trains you wonder if they realize exactly how BIG those things really are.

Another good tip is to wait by the FRONT of the platform. That way, aside from the usual caution that everyone should exercise, if you DO fall, are pushed, whatever, the T/O will have adequate space to stop because he can see you and by the time he gets to the front of the platform, he will be approaching you at a "safe speed" because he's preparing to make his normal station stop. And I put "Safe speed" in quotes because a train approaching a person on the tracks is never REALLY at a "safe speed"...

That said some common sense is really needed. The way I see some people waiting for trains you wonder if they realize exactly how BIG those things really are.

Oh totally. I always wait towards the middle and forward for that exact reason. I know i'm not invincible. Same goes for when i'm riding amtrak or (NJT). I say back from the edge, and in an area where i can see the trains coming, such as the end of the platform. My favorite stations to wait at because of the platforms are trenton, new brunswick, newark international, and new york penn station on the :nec:.

- Andy

I never really thought about it like that, but I'm very careful on the platforms. My destnation depends on where I board. I can't stand getting on the front of a train, arriving at my destination, and then have to walk towards the back of the train just to exit the station.

I never really thought about it like that, but I'm very careful on the platforms. My destnation depends on where I board. I can't stand getting on the front of a train, arriving at my destination, and then have to walk towards the back of the train just to exit the station.

We are complete opposites. I will go to the front no matter what. I'd prefer to ride in the 1st car as it is the least packed. I don't mind a little walking, even though I need to put on weight. I shouldn't be doing anything to lose more, or I might get swept away by a gust of wind, as a train passes....... You see by the time I get to the steps, most of the crowd is up and long gone......

We are complete opposites. I will go to the front no matter what. I'd prefer to ride in the 1st car as it is the least packed. I don't mind a little walking, even though I need to put on weight. I shouldn't be doing anything to lose more, or I might get swept away by a gust of wind, as a train passes....... You see by the time I get to the steps, most of the crowd is up and long gone......

If you need to gain weight, just go to McDonalds lol. I think the last car has the least amount of passengers. Most people get off of the station entrances in the FRONT.

If you need to gain weight, just go to McDonalds lol. I think the last car has the least amount of passengers. Most people get off of the station entrances in the FRONT.

I eat at Micky D's at least 2X a week, and Burger King about same. The trains I ride, most exits are in the middle........

Yeah, I like to be the one of the first ones up or down those stairs.

Mc Donalds isn't going to cut it. I'm there like every other day, and I have no idea where all those double QPC's are going. I eat all day, everyday and I my girl still says I look like I'm from Somalia.

Ha, same. And I'm a skinny dude also. Go figure. Maybe we should market this as one of those "weight loss" secrets since there might actually be something to it :cool::cool:

And I hit up plenty of Fast Food and pizza myself so it's not a lack of trying, as a matter of fact had BK AND pizza just today alone...

Archived