Ways to improve the M15 SBS

Via Garibaldi 8

Regarding the M15 no longer being the #1 route, I just have to say this... it is so damn easy to get on without a ticket and I see people doing it all the time.

M15 SBS was not implemented until October of 2010 so the weekday ridership numbers we have for it now is a good judgement of how many people use the route. If it goes down in 2011, anyone with a brain would know why that happened. The Bx12 is an entirely different story. That route has approx. 45,000 riders on an average weekday and the SBS there is prime for farebeating as the fare police are rarely present along that route. That number could easily be 50,000 or 55,000 for crying out loud.

M15 SBS was not implemented until October of 2010 so the weekday ridership numbers we have for it now is a good judgement of how many people use the route. If it goes down in 2011, anyone with a brain would know why that happened. The Bx12 is an entirely different story. That route has approx. 45,000 riders on an average weekday and the SBS there is prime for farebeating as the fare police are rarely present along that route. That number could easily be 50,000 or 55,000 for crying out loud.

2009 ridership was up 20% compared to 2004 (on the Bx12), so even if there are a lot of farebeaters, the number of paying customers has increased.

Regarding the M15 no longer being the #1 route, I just have to say this... it is so damn easy to get on without a ticket and I see people doing it all the time.

Actually, that and the B46 always float between 1 and 2. What would be a surprise is if those weren't the two routes in 1 and 2.

As for how to improve SBS, I would say that there should be short-turns running between Houston and Metropolitan Hospital only...as well as putting BusTime on those buses, allowing dispatchers to see the same information as customers and then put buses in place to maintain even spacing. For instance, if a bus is very late and another bus is right behind it and on time, the late bus should go to drop-off mode only, and then deadhead up to a point in the route where even spacing can be maintained.

Dispatching is an art form.

Archived