MTA Railroad Engineer Jobs

trainluv

where can i find out about T/O jobs for the LIRR and the Metro North?

They arent T/O's they are Engineers, i think Metro North was looking to Hire you can go to the MTA Website and find out..

BTW if you dont have experince in operating locomotives, dont waste your time..

Don't even think about going into the LIRR nor Metro North as an Engineer unless you have locomotive experience; you have no shot. What you need to do is go into the respective agency as an Assistant Conductor, Ticket Agent, Coach Cleaner, etc., then make your way into Engineer.

Don't even think about going into the LIRR nor Metro North as an Engineer unless you have locomotive experience; you have no shot. What you need to do is go into the respective agency as an Assistant Conductor, Ticket Agent, Coach Cleaner, etc., then make your way into Engineer.

100% right oh and dont even call them train operators lol they will have a fit calling them that.

The Brakeman is the same thing as a Conductor. The only exception is that the Brakeman remains with the train when the train enters a yard/siding to apply handbrakes whereas all the regular CR's bail out at the terminal. The Brakeman has nothing to do with the movement of the train.

Amtrak accepts engineer applications from those with no engineer experience, but they only hire a few of them.

If you get in with LIRR, be prepared for a lot of training! The LIRR's qualification exams and system is among the hardest in the country.

Metro North was accepting applications for locomotive engineer a couple of months ago. The deadline has since passed and they already have test sessions scheduled for the upcoming weeks.

To get hired off the street as a locomotive engineer you are required to already be a Class I railroad engineer per the vacancy announcement. The only other way you can get into the training program with out experience is to be a current Metro North employee, with a minimum of a year in your current craft. Even then you won't automatically get picked. There is a written test (I'll let you know how that is later in the week), background check (current employees safety and attendance records get gone over with a fine tooth comb). Then there are physical ability testing, panel interviews and medical testing.

After all that, should you get hired into the program, there is approximately 2 months of classroom training and another year or so of on the job training. Only after all of this can you mark up and be the proud owner of a FRA locomotive engineer license and keys for the trains. Then you get to pick a job and your on your own.

Metro North was accepting applications for locomotive engineer a couple of months ago. The deadline has since passed and they already have test sessions scheduled for the upcoming weeks.

To get hired off the street as a locomotive engineer you are required to already be a Class I railroad engineer per the vacancy announcement. The only other way you can get into the training program with out experience is to be a current Metro North employee, with a minimum of a year in your current craft. Even then you won't automatically get picked. There is a written test (I'll let you know how that is later in the week), background check (current employees safety and attendance records get gone over with a fine tooth comb). Then there are physical ability testing, panel interviews and medical testing.

After all that, should you get hired into the program, there is approximately 2 months of classroom training and another year or so of on the job training. Only after all of this can you mark up and be the proud owner of a FRA locomotive engineer license and keys for the trains. Then you get to pick a job and your on your own.

Are engineers/conductors/assistant conductors assigned like NYCT by means of picks? I know that the newcomers usually work the extra board, but do the regular crew work the same train each day?

Are engineers/conductors/assistant conductors assigned like NYCT by means of picks? I know that the newcomers usually work the extra board, but do the regular crew work the same train each day?

All new hires will pick from a list of vacant jobs, whether it's the extra board or some other undesirable job (yard, overnight, etc). From what I gather there are new picks based on seniority when there is a time table change but don't quote me on that. From there on out that is your job and your hours until one of two things happen. 1) you are awarded a new job you bid on from someone retiring or going out on extended medical or 2) you are bumped by some one senior to you coming back from medical, etc.

In most cases you will see the same engineer and conductors on the same trains every day. The exception is their rest days when there be someone else on the relief job. Relief jobs are steady jobs but you're covering that trains rest days of the regular conductors or engineer.

The hours are rarely 8 on any given day. Some days it may only be a 7 hour run, other days it may be a 10 hour run. On a positive note, most of the jobs have built in overtime.

Truckie, best of luck on the exam this week! :cool:

As far as the seniority bumping goes, I thought that picks were put in weekly for both L/E and C/R jobs. At least, I believe that's what a few road employees told me. It may have been every two weeks.

I will tell you this though - I see a LOT of movement, especially among conductors, on one of my regular trains, and fair amount of the conductors seem fairly young, and so I'm guessing that they're fairly junior to most of the people in that craft.

Truckie, best of luck on the exam this week! :cool:

As far as the seniority bumping goes, I thought that picks were put in weekly for both L/E and C/R jobs. At least, I believe that's what a few road employees told me. It may have been every two weeks.

I will tell you this though - I see a LOT of movement, especially among conductors, on one of my regular trains, and fair amount of the conductors seem fairly young, and so I'm guessing that they're fairly junior to most of the people in that craft.

I can't say for train service but in my craft available jobs are up for bid on a weekly basis. As far as train service goes, I was told on one occasion that everyone had to put in a pick, on a seniority basis, to coincide with a timetable change. I can't say for sure if that goes along with every timetable change.

As far as bumping, it's simple. You get bumped, you bump someone junior to you period. I know people that have been bumped numerous times in one day. It's part of the job and every one that signed up for the job is made aware of what can happen.

As far as the young conductors you see it could be one of two things. 1) conductors on the extra board who are covering for someone on vacation or 2) conductors in on the job training as there have been numerous conductor classes that have started during the course of the last 12 months or so.

Thanks for the good luck wishes. I took the test earlier, now it's wait and see.

how can i start training for a job as an engineer for both LIRR and MNRR? and do i get to choose which kind of car i'm driving

Your question/s were answered in great detail already as well as the addition of other informative posts. This thread is now being closed. :cool:

Archived