Cleanest subway cars of 2007

MattTrain

Cleanest subway cars of 2007

This is taken from straphangers campaign.

I contributed to the surveys as well

Here's the list from the cleanest to dirtiest subway lines.

September 2007 - January 2008 The (L) is the cleanest while the (Q) is the dirtiest.

1.(L)

2.(1)(9) ((9) was discontinued in 2005)

3.(7)

4.(G)

5.(N)

6.(W)

7.(F)

8.(B)

9.(M)

10.(5)

11.(3)

12.(V)

13.(R)

14.(6)

15.(A)

16.(D)

17.(2)

18.(4)

19.(C)

20.(J)(Z) ((Z) is the skip-stop complement of (J))

21.(E)

22.(Q)

My Observations made during the survey

The (L) I can understand, well r160A and r143. There are cleaners prepared to clean up the (L) at Rockaway Parkway and 8th Avenue.

The (Q), with the R68 r68A r40 r40M and r42, some complained that lots of food were thrown in the floor like garbage. Odor was also a big issue, sometimes rotten egg smells were a big problem. Bottles and cans were rolling around, caused some people to trip and fall.

The (D) cars tend to have the dirtiest windows, and garbage, well some food lying around, papers, some weird odors, too. This would be personally for me the dirtiest subway line in the system.

The (J)(Z) cars smelled funny, and newspapers and plastic cups rolled around occasionally.

The (:P mostly had newspaper garbage issues.

Not too many garbage problems on (N) since the R160's took over.

Surprisingly the (F) is really clean, only minor tissue garbage.

The (5) is not really bad, again, only paper garbage is minor.

The (M) mostly is cleaner during middays and rush-hours, evenings, forget it, the papers are all over the place!!!

If I had to make this chart personally, the (2) would be on top, the cars have literally no garbage on them every time I ride the (2)

The (4) is really clean too, If any issues, it's just tissue lying around.

Anyways, these are what I have here. Do you have a story to tell about the cleanliness in the subway lines? All opinions are welcome.

Here is how the survey should go. Which lines has the filthiest animals for customers, who don't know how to clean up behind themselves, costing the MTA more, because they have to hire more cleaners, which then you pay more to ride..... That is how the survey should be asked.......

You would think that a line with many educated businessmen like the (E) would be a clean line. Unfortunately, a lot of slobs ride that line too which is why it's so dirty. There's tons of newspaper garbage a lot of the time.

Every time I see garbage on the train I pick it up and throw it out at the station I get off at, if it's something relatively clean, like newspaper leftovers. If more people did that, the subway system would be cleaner. I think the new litter campaigns assuage the problem a little, too.

Here is how the survey should go. Which lines has the filthiest animals for customers, who don't know how to clean up behind themselves, costing the MTA more, because they have to hire more cleaners, which then you pay more to ride..... That is how the survey should be asked.......

I totally agree with your post people sometimes are flithy and have no problems with treating these trains like thier own personal trash cans..

I wonder if thier houses are just as dirty?

BTW on my Put-in on the (N)ovember most of the train is filled with newspapers, food wrappers, and coffe cups from the AM Rush..

That's well said, good job. I agree 100%. I think most of the reason the (MTA)(NYCT) buses and subways are dirty is people don't know how to clean up themselves. It's really disgusting how dirty a bus and train can be at times because people don't remember to clean up after themselves!:mad:

You would think that a line with many educated businessmen like the (E) would be a clean line. Unfortunately, a lot of slobs ride that line too which is why it's so dirty. There's tons of newspaper garbage a lot of the time.

Every time I see garbage on the train I pick it up and throw it out at the station I get off at, if it's something relatively clean, like newspaper leftovers. If more people did that, the subway system would be cleaner. I think the new litter campaigns assuage the problem a little, too.

Good point there. More cleaners are needed, but people really need more common sense too, especially on the (E)

IAWTP 110%. The late night deuce I rode back this morning was filled with what looked like corn ear leaves, all over the floor, and of course a newspaper under the handicap seat. Of course the cleaner got it but this is at midnight now 10x the ridership and rush hour and you get PIGS leaving CRAP everywhere.

What's MOST irritating is that the same people who leave their stuff on the trains then turn around and complain about how dirty they are. Maybe they should run for public office, since politicians pull that two faced shenanigan all the time...

Here's how the surveys are done:

The scale is one to four, one being the cleanest and the four the dirtiest.

Train cars are automatically the dirtiest when for example:

A rolling bottle or can is on the floor, this causes slips, trips, and falls!

A foul odor is on the train car.

The train car is unreasonably hot or cold, due to heaters and air conditioners not working properly.

There's spilled liquid on the floor, causing slips.

Seats are deemed useless because they're messy.

There's gum on the floor.

There's open food lying around.

A train car is rated the cleanest when:

(1) The seats and floors have little or no stains.

(2) There's no paper lying around

(3) There's no rolling containers.

(4) No foul odor can be sensed.

(5) No gum lying around.

(6) No foreign objects lying around.

This is how surveys are done!

Sometimes you got those crazy cleaners who mop the entire car with their clorox'ed mop. They try to get every corner lol...

Other times, they simply walk and drag the mop, leaving a line of clorox, and waiting for it to get dry, and I cant put my bag on the floor....

They do quite a good job at cleaning those (G) trains though otherwise. I always see cleaners ready to roll at Court Square. Sometimes when the trains run late though, the cleaners dont have time to clean it and you're left with a half dirty train...

• 4 weeks later...

Heres something I really wanna see for all the trains that are in the subway.

I'm sure lots of you will agree as well.

But what I want to see is for once the windows to be clean and clear.

Some people like traveling on the trains and looking out the window to look at the views.

Especially the old trains that are still around.The windows to those trains are filty dirty and you can barely see through them.But Thats what I wanna see.

Heres something I really wanna see for all the trains that are in the subway.

I'm sure lots of you will agree as well.

But what I want to see is for once the windows to be clean and clear.

Some people like traveling on the trains and looking out the window to look at the views.

Especially the old trains that are still around.The windows to those trains are filty dirty and you can barely see through them.But Thats what I wanna see.

IAWTP

The (MTA) has put protective mylar screens on all cars except the ones being retired. There's only a few more R44, R46, and R68/A left without the screens.

I agree with some of the finding.

(L) I agree the Car Cleaning personal do an outstanding job at Both Rockaway Pkwy and 8 AVE making sure trains leave the terminals clean. One cleaner even rode my train one stop to E 105 St to mop up a big mess which is going above and beyond the call of duty because once the starting lights go on they don't have to keep cleaning unless requested by the train crew and they hold while its being done. I told the cleaner not to worry about it but insisted on finishing the job and told me it will be done enroute.

However I don't think will see cleaners at 8 AV too long.

(M) I find most of the cars are clean the cleaners do a desent job but also I notice the riders for the most part don't leave stuff exept the newspaper.

(C) I have to agree its dirty and not much help from the cleaners are only at Euclid Ave Northbound platfrom and they don't get much time to clean.

(E) Is discusting I can't stand riding/Working it. Its always dirty and smelly. I remember the few times I worked it after 8 Hours that small got on my uniform it drove me nuts. The main problem with the line is trains have a short layover so limited cleaning can be done. Also when the trains get layed up at Night 80% don't even make it to the Yard for cleaning they stored on the Express tracks.

(E) Is discusting I can't stand riding/Working it. Its always dirty and smelly. I remember the few times I worked it after 8 Hours that small got on my uniform it drove me nuts. The main problem with the line is trains have a short layover so limited cleaning can be done. Also when the trains get layed up at Night 80% don't even make it to the Yard for cleaning they stored on the Express tracks.

Isn't NYC Transit management aware of this and if so why are they not doing anything about it?

Not to get off the subject but those same slobs that ride the train DESTROY the stations as well! I'm a station cleaner(not for long)and you won't believe what I've seen!!How do you take a crap on the wall??If you feel sick,stick yur head in the garbage can and if you can't hold it p*ss on the tracks..Christ! If you've noticed,there is alot of graffiti on car windows that WILL NOT come off because it's actually ACID!!!TA has yet to find chemicals to remove this stuff.For the most part cleaners try keep the trains/stations clean but at the end of the day it's the passengers!! You RTO guys need to clean up after yourselves too because yur facilities can be nasty also.:(

Not to get off the subject but those same slobs that ride the train DESTROY the stations as well! I'm a station cleaner(not for long)and you won't believe what I've seen!!How do you take a crap on the wall??If you feel sick,stick yur head in the garbage can and if you can't hold it p*ss on the tracks..Christ! If you've noticed,there is alot of graffiti on car windows that WILL NOT come off because it's actually ACID!!!TA has yet to find chemicals to remove this stuff.For the most part cleaners try keep the trains/stations clean but at the end of the day it's the passengers!! You RTO guys need to clean up after yourselves too because yur facilities can be nasty also.:(

Yup that is true, I remember one time late night riding first car on a (1) T/O opens the cab door and BOTH him and me recoil from the foul smell in there...we had a good laugh about it after as he called a S/C down with the Mop O Bleach and sprayed whatever good smelling stuff he had with him to get rid of the stench.

The passengers in general however are FAR worse...FAR FAR worse...

In my last foray in the subway, I certainly had some nice clean trains roll into stations for me (I got an R142A on the (4) that I swear was new), but I also got a not so great train... I think it was on the (E), but it wasn't smelly, the floor was just coated in discarded newspaper and a couple bottles rolling around. Speaking of newspaper, when waiting for an (L) train late at night, one can pass the time while waiting for a train by collecting the abandoned sheets of the news scattered around the station.

Archived