Anyone working at Ulmer Park or Maspeth Depot?

Acela Express

This thread is typically for Bus Operators, only-

In your experience, how's the work environment at Ulmer Park and Maspeth (GA)? I've heard stories regarding UP being somewhat of a 'racist' depot to an extent, though that seems like a myth, or truth.

If everything goes well with my hiring process in the next few weeks I'm looking to start at there (at UP - if there's slots available). I understand after line training I'd probably be stuck on the B6 - being their heaviest line prone to rookies, lol.

Also, what routes would be considered their "seniority" lines?

Any other information would be useful.

Thanks in advance.

[mods: feel free to move this into the TC Discussion forum, if needed. thanks.]

Thanks, Noflexdont.

However, for me to work near home, the nearest depot is East New York, and not in the mood to drive their routes, if I don't have to. Rough, high crime areas. Now I'm not scared, at all, but then.. who wants to come home from dealing with the bullsh*t of driving the bus, and other coming factors on those routes.

There's plenty of people I know who live out of the city limits working at specific depots.

I dont work at ulmer park but i hope to very soon & i know the dispatchers there and the union rep , i know every driver and im there everyday all days of the week 24/7 i can tell you whats o/s whats being worked on , whats on the road , what pulled in or out what issues the buses have but anyways ...... ulmer park is a good depot its really not that bad , you have some good people and some bad people but just do what you have to do and you'll have nothing to worry about . Some drivers tell on other drivers because either they have people on their bus or not doing their job correctly but youll find ulmer park as your new home its really good , no body is racists that i know of & they wouldnt tolerate that at that depot at all . We have some good buses , we are getting new ones as you might know . East new york has stubborn drivers , its a bigger depot but i dont like it ( Imo ) . But if you feel you want to go to ulmer park then come on down . Its easy to get to , if you go by car and you live in east new york just jump on the belt parkway and take it to the depot , if you go by bus just take the B82 coney island bound bus to 25th avenue you cant miss the depot it drops you off right across the street from it . I hope this all helped you out a bit .

Thanks, for the insight, ciboii22; however, I'm looking for direct drivers comments as I believe they would understand the day-to-day operations of actually working there. I'm not worried about "doing what I have to do", because that's the job, but just curious for the more 'concealed' reviews of ethics there.

Hopefully you make it some day as an operator. :(

Thanks, for the insight, ciboii22; however, I'm looking for direct drivers comments as I believe they would understand the day-to-day operations of actually working there. I'm not worried about "doing what I have to do", because that's the job, but just curious for the more 'concealed' reviews of ethics there.

Hopefully you make it some day as an operator. :(

He knows EVERYBODY.. So I would trust him on what he says about UP. He is a Jr. Driver if that makes sense!

I am saying since that might be better option

Oh, my apologies; I assumed something else.

But, I'm not looking outside of Brooklyn, unless I have to. Now Maspeth is located in Queens but operates Brooklyn's routes, and in the division which I don't mind. I'm looking for the low-key depots of Brooklyn - that's the main goal.

Thanks for the input.

P.S. I'd be lost in Queens.. :(

He knows EVERYBODY.. So I would trust him on what he says about UP. He is a Jr. Driver if that makes sense!

"Knowing" everyone (if that) and working there is two different factors. I've taken his post into consideration but still looking for the underlying review from an actual operator there.

heard Grand Avenue depot has a weak union, Other then that work near you home. Who wants to drive anymore then they have to after a day of driving, I know i dont

weak union for drivers maybe. there is no such this as a base shop having a weak union. and the union is only as strong as its members make it. if the drivers union representation is weak, its only b/c they allow it to be...

"Knowing" everyone (if that) and working there is two different factors. I've taken his post into consideration but still looking for the underlying review from an actual operator there.

Yea the operators have been there more than me but i know a bit more than some of them lol but im sure a driver from ulmer park will see this and tell you everything .

weak union for drivers maybe. there is no such this as a base shop having a weak union. and the union is only as strong as its members make it. if the drivers union representation is weak, its only b/c they allow it to be...

I agree, Blitz, but I believe one shouldn't even worry about the Union if you're a problematic employee - an operator the boss "knows". I can care less about the Union unless it's absolutely necessary.

Oh, my apologies; I assumed something else.

But, I'm not looking outside of Brooklyn, unless I have to. Now Maspeth is located in Queens but operates Brooklyn's routes, and in the division which I don't mind. I'm looking for the low-key depots of Brooklyn - that's the main goal.

Thanks for the input.

P.S. I'd be lost in Queens.. :P

Flatbush may pass as a low-key depot. It's about as big as Ulmer Park and is in a rather similar location on the outskirts of town, next to a big shopping center (Ulmer Park next to Caeser's Bay Bazaar and Flatbush next to Kings Plaza).

I think it has good lines; the only strange one may be the B46. Also watch out for interlining (doing multiple routes in one day). This has been happening everywhere. In Ulmer Park I think the B3/B6/B64 are interlined. Or B3/B6, B3/B64. B6/B64. Maybe also B36/B74. Anything from the same depot as another line and has the same relief point as another line or has a relief point very close to that of the other line, is likely to be interlined with the other line. Not every run is interlined, there are probably still some runs where you can do the B3 only, B6 only (not that you'd really want to), B36 only (another "not that you'd really want to" as this line is also a headache), B64 only, B74 only. I think the B3 feels like the B36 but it's not quite as annoying.

In Flatbush B2/B31 and B41/B46 are interlined. B44 all by itself, B49 all by itself as these routes have relief points that are nowhere near those on other Flatbush routes. Those last four are rather strange right now. Traffic, heavy crowds. Straight as arrows though. Hardly any turns. At least the B44 gets SBS in a year. Anybody will tell you SBS is easier to drive than most other routes, and I'll tell you it's easier than any local/limited/express route around. Not sure if the B44 will stay in Flatbush when it goes SBS though. I think it should, but I'm not sure what the authority will do.

Grand has its share of combined routes and it's half the size of Ulmer and Flatbush, but I find it strange because it's not easy to get around (to report and then get to your relief point for example). You have to depend on the infrequent Q59 or use car services or use your own car and hope you can park. Or get a Jimmy to take you to your relief. Busiest routes here are B38, B47, B60.

Flatbush may pass as a low-key depot. It's about as big as Ulmer Park and is in a rather similar location on the outskirts of town, next to a big shopping center (Ulmer Park next to Caeser's Bay Bazaar and Flatbush next to Kings Plaza).

I think it has good lines; the only strange one may be the B46. Also watch out for interlining (doing multiple routes in one day). This has been happening everywhere. In Ulmer Park I think the B3/B6/B64 are interlined. Or B3/B6, B3/B64. B6/B64. Maybe also B36/B74. Anything from the same depot as another line and has the same relief point as another line or has a relief point very close to that of the other line, is likely to be interlined with the other line. Not every run is interlined, there are probably still some runs where you can do the B3 only, B6 only (not that you'd really want to), B36 only (another "not that you'd really want to" as this line is also a headache), B64 only, B74 only. I think the B3 feels like the B36 but it's not quite as annoying.

In Flatbush B2/B31 and B41/B46 are interlined. B44 all by itself, B49 all by itself as these routes have relief points that are nowhere near those on other Flatbush routes. Those last four are rather strange right now. Traffic, heavy crowds. Straight as arrows though. Hardly any turns. At least the B44 gets SBS in a year. Anybody will tell you SBS is easier to drive than most other routes, and I'll tell you it's easier than any local/limited/express route around. Not sure if the B44 will stay in Flatbush when it goes SBS though. I think it should, but I'm not sure what the authority will do.

Grand has its share of combined routes and it's half the size of Ulmer and Flatbush, but I find it strange because it's not easy to get around (to report and then get to your relief point for example). You have to depend on the infrequent Q59 or use car services or use your own car and hope you can park. Or get a Jimmy to take you to your relief. Busiest routes here are B38, B47, B60.

Your right about interline routes,it is happening in every depots.I have a pick where i have interline routes two days out the weeks.On sundays i do one trip BxM 6 then ill do BxM7A for the rest of the night. On mondays ill do one trip to BxM9 then do BxM7 for the rest of the night. But interline routes is happening though out the system.

As a rookie you'll probobly be stuck on the extra list. So at UP you might get the B6 often since its the biggest line but they can put you anywhere. Out of UP I would guess the seinority lines are the X27/28 and the B64.

Yes most likely he will get stuck on the list which isnt too bad , unless theres something to pick from but if not then hes on the list . They train on all lines b1 , b3 , b6 , b36 , b74 & b64 and then all express lines . Then you graduate from your class & your on your own .

Flatbush is similar to ulmer park only difference is that their building is bigger than ours , but we have a bigger yard than them , they store their buses inside & outside , same with us . I only like flatbush depot because the building is longer .

Flatbush is similar to ulmer park only difference is that their building is bigger than ours , but we have a bigger yard than them , they store their buses inside & outside , same with us . I only like flatbush depot because the building is longer .

Flatbush however has some of the busiest routes in the borough. Unless you have the seinority to pick the B2/31 you'll be dealing with alot.

Sorry, I just couldn't help seeing the "ours", "we" and "us" words, lol. :)

Flatbush however has some of the busiest routes in the borough. Unless you have the seinority to pick the B2/31 you'll be dealing with alot.

Yea their routes are busy and long .

Sorry, I just couldn't help seeing the "ours", "we" and "us" words, lol. :)

Lol i say that a lot when i talk about ulmer park , its seems like i work there im there everyday . Matter fact im here right now , and its 5 minutes from my house so i just say we , us and stuff like that lol .

Do yourself a favor...if you can come to Queens CS QV or JA do it!

You wont ever deal with a system pick... you can go to UP but I guarantee you you'll be bumped right out of there as soon as system pick comes around.Youll be in any of the 3 Queens garages for your career not being throw around the system.

CS is only a 10 min drive from Grand Ave and youll love our lines.

Dont let yourself wind up being bounced around garages till you get seniority.

Just cause Ciboii hangs out there doesnt mean he knows that much.

Every Buff usually winds up getting fired for something stupid on probation.

Looky here!!! I am a driver at Ulmer Park! ciboii is with me everyday just about and the same thing he is telling you, I will co-sign! Ulmer Park is a good depot, got good lines, most drivers are down to earth but you got a few ( I am going thru it right now) who feel a rookie should do rookie things and not be cool with other drivers, dispatchers, etc. When you first come into the depot, providing you are able to pick into it, you will be going thru line training. Most drivers who do line training are very cool, and if they feel you can drive, or you can handle that bus, they will not bother you.

After about 2 weeks or so of local line training, you will be placed into MCI training, where you will learn the basics of driving the MCI coach. You can learn more of the MCI on your own time and from drivers! When or IF you pass the MCI training, you will be placed onto Express Bus Line training! After you go thru all of that, your graduation will come up

After your graduation, you will be placed on the extra list where you will be thrown any and everywhere! Me personally, I do not like the extra list because of the fact if a driver clears themselves, you no longer have a run, and you have to sit around until a run becomes available. If not, they will send you downstairs to to the yard and move buses on the fuel line.

IF you are lucky, when the picks come around, you can pick a run. I got lucky for the summer and got a Tues-Wed late on the B6.

During your probation year, just be careful, snitches all over the road can and will tell on you behind your back, as they are doing to me as we speak! I hope this helps. Any questions, contact me

Do yourself a favor...if you can come to Queens CS QV or JA do it!

You wont ever deal with a system pick... you can go to UP but I guarantee you you'll be bumped right out of there as soon as system pick comes around.Youll be in any of the 3 Queens garages for your career not being throw around the system.

CS is only a 10 min drive from Grand Ave and youll love our lines.

Dont let yourself wind up being bounced around garages till you get seniority.

Just cause Ciboii hangs out there doesnt mean he knows that much.

Every Buff usually winds up getting fired for something stupid on probation.

ANd what, may I ask, do you consider something stupid? I am a buff, there are quite a few buffs in Ulmer Park that has 13-20 years who I associate with, they haven't gotten fired. Not starting an argument or nothing, just curious. And BTW, ciboii is only 15 so you should already know what that means. The boy is harmless!!!

Thanks, NovaBUSRTS9145, for the direct insight as an operator at Ulmer Park.

Good stuff-

I do have a question, regarding the MCI training - what if one does not pass? Or is it basically, "they train you to know it and you better catch on" type deal?

If I can pick an late run on the B6 or B36, that'd be awesome. I'm not afraid of the extra list as it'll break me in the way needed, but when next pick comes in October, I'm off it, lol.

And yes, I'm aware of the 'stay away from overtime on probation' rule of thumb, but not about the snitching scenario, which one shouldn't be worried about on probation, as your task is to get through the first year on a safe note, and follow all rules.

And BTW, ciboii is only 15 so you should already know what that means. The boy is harmless!!!

I don't think FlushingFlash meant anything negative towards ciboii22; but, I think he has a point, as I tried to make earlier in the thread about asking drivers directly about the depot rather than a fan who stays at the depot to hang out. You should know working the day-to-day life at MTA is quite different from "fanning" it.

The boy is harmless, indeed, and helpful when needed, but will never understand the "emotions" or tension between coworkers at the job. I say this because I have a few relatives working as Bus Operators currently - mostly at Jackie Gleason. So me following the buses at JG as just a harmless kid years ago just proved that I was a fan, but did not know about the true stories behind operators there, til these days.

I don't want to further drown this thread with ciboii22's hobby's - but, as before, good luck to the young soul. I hope he makes it. At Ulmer Park. :-)

Archived