Anyone working at Ulmer Park or Maspeth Depot?

Acela Express

Thanks, transit bx.

I'll update in the TC forum (my #5025 thread) tomorrow afternoon.

Everything should go well, and I'll be on the way to medical for my final step; hopefully before the week is out so I can make it for July 18th class next week.

Yea your right about that b/c i did sat down for like two days in a row till i got a chance to pick a run for the day,but hey its part of the game. You started with transit already if you did what you have for the summer pick?

I picked a Tue-Wed Late on the B6 Getting off at 11:14 pm during the week, 2 am Saturdays and 1:30 am Sundays

I picked a Tue-Wed Late on the B6 Getting off at 11:14 pm during the week, 2 am Saturdays and 1:30 am Sundays

I'm assuming your report time is about 3-ish, right? If that's the case then you'll be getting hammered with those school trips in September, especially kids from South Shore, Canarsie, and Midwood High Schools.

Ouch.

. Hey BZ you have to travel up north everyday to get your? do you live in the city and hows the pay i hear you guys get paid pretty good?

Mon-Fri I do the 1pm NY-Providence and the 830pm Prov-NYC getting back into the city around 1215-1230am. If you see a D4505 signed up "RED SOX" at night then that's me!:P I usually run down 2nd ave with a guy on the BXM7 if I'm on time!

Pay is ok....this run takes home a little over 1k a week, but it eats my whole day, 1145am report 115am punch out! I'm currently staying in the city but when we bid in September it looks like I'm gonna get bumped outta NY, so back to Providence or Cape Cod I go, unless (NJT) calls first!

I'm assuming your report time is about 3-ish, right? If that's the case then you'll be getting hammered with those school trips in September, especially kids from South Shore, Canarsie, and Midwood High Schools.

Ouch.

If that happens, I think he only gets that for one day at the most, like last year. Last year was the first time in a while that the summer pick ended after school started, so there was that one crazy day that mixed school kids with inadequate service (no school trippers) and created a big mess on the road.

Actually it was kind of out of the blue because the city, for some strange reason, decided to open public schools for one day that week, followed by several days off, followed by the school year going into full swing the following week, which was the same week that the fall pick started. At that point you had the trippers on the road and everybody (bus operators) had what they wanted for the fall. Makes a difference to those who make efforts to avoid school kids, riff-raff, and whatnot.

It's still a mess on the road when the kids come out, but not as much when you have the school trippers. Also you feel better when you have the run/route that you really intend to have while school is in session. For example most senior guys don't really want the B6 when school's in, but when school's out they might (this is a big might) take it. Or they don't really want late runs when school's in but they might take 'em when school's out.

Nova's alright if he doesn't pick that run/floater (could a run have clear times that fluctuate that much from day to day?) for the fall, but if he can't pick much better then it is what it is, I suppose.

Ouch.

I report at 2:46 pm with a 3:16 relief on the B36. Even if I get hit with school kids, its alright by me, becuase I only do 1 trip over there anyway!

Mon-Fri I do the 1pm NY-Providence and the 830pm Prov-NYC getting back into the city around 1215-1230am. If you see a D4505 signed up "RED SOX" at night then that's me!B) I usually run down 2nd ave with a guy on the BXM7 if I'm on time!

Pay is ok....this run takes home a little over 1k a week, but it eats my whole day, 1145am report 115am punch out! I'm currently staying in the city but when we bid in September it looks like I'm gonna get bumped outta NY, so back to Providence or Cape Cod I go, unless (NJT) calls first!

WOW thats crazy,i hope you dont get bump and the BXM7 runs out my depot.I hope you get the call for nj,did you ever try for MTA?

This thread is typically for Bus Operators, only-

In your experience, how's the work environment at Ulmer Park and Maspeth (GA)? I've heard stories regarding UP being somewhat of a 'racist' depot to an extent, though that seems like a myth, or truth.

If everything goes well with my hiring process in the next few weeks I'm looking to start at there (at UP - if there's slots available). I understand after line training I'd probably be stuck on the B6 - being their heaviest line prone to rookies, lol.

Also, what routes would be considered their "seniority" lines?

Any other information would be useful.

Thanks in advance.

[mods: feel free to move this into the TC Discussion forum, if needed. thanks.]

Congrats on hopefully the start of ur new career :tup:. I remember my first day in transit, 10+ years later.......B)

WOW thats crazy,i hope you dont get bump and the BXM7 runs out my depot.I hope you get the call for nj,did you ever try for MTA?

If the MTA ever has another test then I might take it, but I think NJT would probably be a better fit for me. NJT does more highway work.....I still want highway work but the long distance stuff is starting to grind me down. If I could get into the MTA, I'd probably would gravitate more toward MTA Bus then TA/OA. College Pt,Eastchester and Yonkers are my top 3 depots I would want to work out of because of the type of work and equipment.

If the MTA ever has another test then I might take it, but I think NJT would probably be a better fit for me. NJT does more highway work.....I still want highway work but the long distance stuff is starting to grind me down. If I could get into the MTA, I'd probably would gravitate more toward MTA Bus then TA/OA. College Pt,Eastchester and Yonkers are my top 3 depots I would want to work out of because of the type of work and equipment.

Well just to let you know that if you ever get into MTA BUS, that yonkers id the only depot that only handles exprees routes.Y our not ganrented exprees routes in my depot or CP, the other day i was put on the Q50 but it was cool cause it got a lil taste of highway lol. And with TA you can go to the all express depot on SI. But NJT would be a better deal for you,how long of a wait you have did you take the exam already?

• 3 weeks later...
The day's getting closer and closer.

2 weeks til I start training, and about 3.5 weeks to qualification and depot selection.

Somewhat of a nervous wreck? You damn skippy.

But ready nevertheless.

Dont be nervous , it'll be fine , good luck .

Sorry for the bumping, but I have some advice, even know I'm not a bus driver.

The day's getting closer and closer.

2 weeks til I start training, and about 3.5 weeks to qualification and depot selection.

Somewhat of a nervous wreck? You damn skippy.

But ready nevertheless.

Casey Stengel you can take the train to. If your in ENY, take the J train to transfer to the F train to Queens. Get off at Jackson Heights - Rosevelt Avenue and transfer to a flushing abound 7 train and get off at Mets - Willets Point and THERE! Its right infront of you.

Casey Stengel has some good routes. The Q28, Q13, and Q16 might be interlined routes. I was on a Q28 where the driver didn't turn left and northern and went via Q13 cause he had it. The only heavy routes are the Q44 and Q20. Q76 is the route that doesn't operate on the weekends.

I am NOT going against anyone, this is just my opinion.

• 5 months later...

Archived