NJT Zone Fare Question

I asked a similar question in the MNRR/LIRR forums, but are passes travel between different zones valid on different lines?

Say, is a NYP->Newark Broad Street valid for travel between NYP and Newark Penn Station?

Amtrak7 said that there are restrictions between the Hoboken and Newark Division Lines, but he didn't remember them.

• 3 months later...

Sorry for the bump, but I wanted to ask a new question:

If you have a light rail pass, can you use it to take 1 zone off of a bus/train ride (2 in the case of the HBLR)?

So if I had an HBLR pass, and I wanted to go from Newark to Metropark (Zone 10), would it be reduced down to a Zone 8 ticket?

Also, since the Newark Light Rail pass is $54, and the RiverLine Light Rail pass is $50, can you use a RiverLine pass in Newark? I'm pretty sure it works for the reverse way. (you can use a Newark LR pass on RiverLine)

And for the HBLR, you can only use the HBLR pass (or a 2-zone bus/rail pass), correct? And I assume the HBLR pass works on the other 2 light rail systems, correct?

If you have a light rail pass, can you use it to take 1 zone off of a bus/train ride (2 in the case of the HBLR)?
I don't think a light rail pass will knock any zones off a rail ticket. I've never tried it so you can you be the test for that unless someone can give you a definitive answer.

A light rail pass will knock the base fare for a bus trip (zone 1, $1.50). HBLR passes only get you a 1 zone ride bus ride IIRC. It's just an inconsistency of New Jersey Transit, 2 zone or better bus pass for HBLR yet the HBLR pass itself only gets you 1 zone for the bus. To me it probably has to do with the fact that the HBLR fare does not match or is not greater than the 2 zone bus fare.

Also, since the Newark Light Rail pass is $54, and the RiverLine Light Rail pass is $50, can you use a RiverLine pass in Newark? I'm pretty sure it works for the reverse way. (you can use a Newark LR pass on RiverLine)
Shouldn't be an issue, they share the same base fare. Remember that North Jersey and South Jersey have slightly different fare zone structures so that's why there's a small difference in price for the pass.

And for the HBLR, you can only use the HBLR pass (or a 2-zone bus/rail pass), correct? And I assume the HBLR pass works on the other 2 light rail systems, correct?

You can use a bus (2 zone) and any rail pass on the HBLR.

Just to be clear, a rail pass will get you on anything. Any light rail system, and for bus, you can ride up to the number of zones that the rail pass is worth, you'll just have to pay the difference if any.

SJP can probably give you a much better answer. This is just to my knowledge and experience.

You can use a bus (2 zone) and any rail pass on the HBLR.

Just to be clear, a rail pass will get you on anything. Any light rail system, and for bus, you can ride up to the number of zones that the rail pass is worth, you'll just have to pay the difference if any.

SJP can probably give you a much better answer. This is just to my knowledge and experience.

But since the HBLR pass is $64, vs. $50 for RiverLine, I assume you can't use a RiverLine pass on the HBLR, right?

And to add on to my first post, if you have, say a Newark Broad-Chatham ticket (Zone 2-10), can you use it for a Newark Penn-Metropark trip, since they are both Zone 2-10 passes?

So hypothetically, a person making a Metropark-Chatham trip would only have to buy one pass, right? And it would be valid on the NE Corridor, Newark Light Rail, and Morristown Line, right?

And just to be clear, single- and 10-trip tickets aren't valid on other modes, right? So somebody going from Newark to Camden would have to pay $15.50 for the NE Corridor, and $1.50 for RiverLine, correct?

Yes, you may use a Chatam-Newark ticket on a Newark-MetroPark trip and vice versa.

Yes to the second question.

And yes to the third, tickets And ten-trips are not on light rails or buses (there are exceptions to the buses on the Atlantic City, Raritan Valley and North Jersey Coast Lines). I won't post those exceptions unless you want them since I'd have to look them up.

But since the HBLR pass is $64, vs. $50 for RiverLine, I assume you can't use a RiverLine pass on the HBLR, right?
I don't think so, and same with a Newark Light Rail pass. They might not give you hard time about it though.

And to add on to my first post, if you have, say a Newark Broad-Chatham ticket (Zone 2-10), can you use it for a Newark Penn-Metropark trip, since they are both Zone 2-10 passes?

So hypothetically, a person making a Metropark-Chatham trip would only have to buy one pass, right? And it would be valid on the NE Corridor, Newark Light Rail, and Morristown Line, right?

Correct.

And just to be clear, single- and 10-trip tickets aren't valid on other modes, right? So somebody going from Newark to Camden would have to pay $15.50 for the NE Corridor, and $1.50 for RiverLine, correct?
Correct. Monthly Rail passes will get you on buses and light rail trains.

Alright, here's the skinny:

HBLR Monthly Passes is good for one INTRASTATE zone ride on any NJT bus. I placed INTRASTATE incase someone wanted to use the pass to get across the GWB. That same pass is also good for Newark Light Rail/City Subway/whatever you wanna call it & the Riverline.

Another thing: 2 Zone Intrastate is good for any light-rail trip. I dunno why but I pulled the numbers up to do some thinking:

HBLR Pass: $64 (includes a 1 Zone Bus Trip)

Bus 1-Zone Pass: $54 (which is good for RiverLine and Newark, not HBLR)

Bus 2-Zone Pass: $72 (good for all Light Rails)

Reason for this?

NCS/NLR and RL is $1.50 a trip, the same for a 1-Zone Bus Trip.

HBLR is $2.10 a trip, .25 less than a 2 Zone Monthly Pass.

This begs the question: and since I haven't been in NJT in a while, I might need 553 and Pablo's help on this.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Monthly Pass that someone buys for the Light Rail via the TVM's or a clerk have either HBLR, Newark, or Riverline on the pass? All the times I've been driving and as a passenger, I seen people come in with the HBLR pass and it just has the number 1 on there, meaning to me, good for one zone. Yet, if someone uses a NWK or a RiverLine LR pass for the HBLR, how can someone know the difference because if you think about it, if there is no rule about something like what I'm mentioning, someone can save $10-14 dollars if someone wanted to go to Newark and buy a NCS/NLR pass for $54 or $50 for the Riverline.

Also, and this popped into my mind: South Jersey is cheaper in fares than North Jersey. Begs the question: are S. Jersey passes acceptable in North Jersey? Someone can just get to the South by however and get a Monthly pass and save a few bucks than paying the North's prices. Just a thought.....

Archived