What Is Your Favorite New Jersey Transit Bus Route?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
188 - Personal favorite. Quiet, decent people, they give exact change 90% of the time. 9 hours of fun and no issues.

Maybe I should ride the 188 more often!!!

There are 2 routes that are my favorites; the 108 from Penn Station to Union City via the NJ Turnpike; nice and fast and the 161 from Paterson to Union City, lots of nice people, decent scenery and great characters make it one of my favorite routes; also like the 156, 159, 166 and 167Q as well.

162/163 because I get to do my tax free shopping in Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom and True Religion. :cool: I see those two routes and all I think of is the money I'm saving even with $8.50 fare. Folks who shop in NYC when tax free NJ locations exist that are just as good are suckers, with the exception of Saks and Bloomingdales... Nothing beats the 5th Ave location, nor the 59th and 3rd location. The Saks and the Bloomingdales that I've been to in NJ suck royally. Big @ss stores with nothing in them for men. :mad: :tdown:

My most favorite route would be the 171. very quiet line & the fastest way to get into the city. than there are my other favorite routes, 78, 79X, 83, 97, 107, 108, 120, 168, 175, 178, & 182 all very good lines.

the 78 is only useful cause it's every 10 mins at rush hour if trains ran that frequent then the 78 would become utterly useless.

I'll be the one asking the ridership question this time:

Has anyone taken the 890/891 in Phillipsburg before? It's often forgotten about, but it's there...

That bus I took it once it runs with minibuses and has low medium ridership. I would have either gave up the rtes to LANTA or merges em with a long distance rte.

That bus I took it once it runs with minibuses and has low medium ridership. I would have either gave up the rtes to LANTA or merges em with a long distance rte.

NJT should just give it up to the current private operator. Or LANTA.

In no order, of the ones I've ridden:

(NJT) 559 Lakewood-AC

(NJT) 59 Dunellen-Newark

(NJT) 409 Philly-Trenton

(NJT) 168 Paramus-NYC

(NJT) 62 Woodbridge Center Mall-Newark (I can never seem to catch a Perth Amboy bus)

Gun to my head, I would pick the 409 as my most favorite...

The 139 is the only route I've taken so far, that I don't care for....

I'd even prefer takin the seedy 90 again over the 139....

Has anyone taken the 890/891 in Phillipsburg before? It's often forgotten about, but it's there...

Thought about it, but I would've had to drive to get to Easton....

besides, I asked someone on another forum about the 890, and he basically said that you can't fan those buses; the service itself is similar to an AAR (access a ride), where you have to call ahead of time in order to have the driver come pick you up @ a particular stop.....

In no order, of the ones I've ridden:

(NJT) 559 Lakewood-AC

(NJT) 59 Dunellen-Newark

(NJT) 409 Philly-Trenton

(NJT) 168 Paramus-NYC

(NJT) 62 Woodbridge Center Mall-Newark (I can never seem to catch a Perth Amboy bus)

Gun to my head, I would pick the 409 as my most favorite...

The 139 is the only route I've taken so far, that I don't care for....

I'd even prefer takin the seedy 90 again over the 139....

Thought about it, but I would've had to drive to get to Easton....

besides, I asked someone on another forum about the 890, and he basically said that you can't fan those buses; the service itself is similar to an AAR (access a ride), where you have to call ahead of time in order to have the driver come pick you up @ a particular stop.....

actually the 890 is a fixed route and used to run mon-sat now its M-F ppl literally threw a riot to keep the route. When I suggested it get merged this lady at the end told me to try and get a job with NJT. In order to reach 890/891 there are 2 ways use trans bridge to easton the fastest method. Or if you have the ballz use the hackettstown train to reach rte 57 shuttle bus it takes you to the 890 also. I used 890 in the morning so I really can't help with ridership but it's a lifeline and times well with the LANTA it is run with cutaways however. If it was me the rte 57 shuttle would absorb the 890 and 891 gets absorbed by a belvidere rte or let trans-bridge modify their allentown rte to replace 891. Or revive 884 but extend it to N brunswick and then easton,pa replacing 891 the 884 will have to run the full rte however at 90 min frequencies. The thing that killed 884 was too many short turns that ended at different places. One to whitehouse RR then one to the industrial then clinton the service destinations were so inconsistent it left the impression that it ran every 3 hours!!!!!! In reality departures from somerville train station were every hour and met with several trains!!!! And 884 ran with MCI coaches!!!!!!!! NOT minibuses like 890/891!!!!

I like the 418 because it's quicker to get to Willingboro/Mt. Holly or Moorestown Mall, Cherry Hill Mall, and Camden via I-295 from Trenton depending on traffic.

I also like the 457 when going from Cherry Hill to Haddonfield PATCO quicker than 455 via Chapel Ave and Kings Hwy. The 455 goes through Kingston Estates and Rt 70 then back on the Kings Hwy through Haddonfield.

I also like the 505 as my favorite of the 500 series buses.

Personal Choices:

188 - Love how quiet and fun the ride can be.

166 - Anytime I did a 128, I asked if I could be a 166 because of the long trip.

319 - Only trip where on weekends you earn 10 hours but only drive 6 B)

83 - I did it on a NABI and it was quite entertaining and fun

171 - I agree, the king of Route 4

161 - King of Route 46

Archived