What Is Your Favorite New Jersey Transit Bus Route?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Red & Tan wouldn't go for it.

Neither would I it just makes no sense that is duplicate service. My NJT plan WON'T stand for duplicate service at all.

This is why he get flamed all of the time.....all I read is a bunch of bullshit!
I have not revealed a single part of my NJT plan so you know nothing about what it entails hush now again bashing the unknown will get you served calm down it's not that serious stop trying to insult me every chance you get it's getting very old and sad.

I am not that stupid I know NJ a little more than NYC bus wise that is cause in NYC I mostly use subway. In NJ I use buses and/or trains.

Would it make sense for the 125 to be replaced with extended R&T 10 trips(with the benefit of increased service to PABT for Bayonne and Jersey residents?)

NO it won't cause the union city buses are very frequent and the 88 is very frequent someone who wanted 125 can simply transfer to 88 at jfk there is no need for that.

Would it make sense for the 125 to be replaced with extended R&T 10 trips(with the benefit of increased service to PABT for Bayonne and Jersey residents?)
This actually makes no sense as again 88 exists and 125 is just a knockoff of the 88 sorry to be harsh.

Dont feed into this guys plan. I have yet to see this "master plan".
This will not feed my plan at all actually that idea was rejected as I know and NJT (hopefully) knows that the 125 is redundant extending R&T 10 won't work. Hudson lines that aren't directly next to the NJTP can't extend at all cause they are too slow. However most are too slow I gave up on a few lines due to unreliability and I later looked into NJT's 300 series history for clues. I actually told NJT to eliminate 125 while I spoke at their meetings in 2010.

NO this will NOT be in my plan. (Would it make sense for the 125 to be replaced with extended R&T 10 trips(with the benefit of increased service to PABT for Bayonne and Jersey residents) The 125 needs no replacement.

Me neither, but I do think the 125 should either run more frequently or be replaced with a more frequent route.

They can't get rid of the 125. Then there would no direct service to/from Journal Square. And it saves money, I think its stupid if one were to take the 88 to Bergenline then hop another bus to NY, when they can just get on the 125 and be in NY within 45 minutes and be done with it. If you were to take the 88 from Journal Square, It would take almost an hour and a half to get to New York because you would have to wait for a connecting bus.

Surprised!

I was shocked too I thought is was supposed to be minibus service. If they were gonna do that then it should not of been called wheels 884 but it could have gotten another name like 884 just that or call it 840. I had an earlier idea to create new rtes in NWNJ but was scrapped when I heard about service cuts. Then I really started to learn and dig deep into NJT and it's routes. I said something in 2010 that caught their attention when I talked about 126 as regional but some things need to get worked out. I also mentioned other things about turning AC into an area where buses passthrough then turn into another effectively eliminating the need for a completely atlantic city route. I ended up with weinstein's card and again some begged me to submit an alternate plan to curb cuts. The thing was My plan in the form it was in 2010 had flaws and had to be redone from scratch also there were some rtes that slipped under my radar that should be helped and others that shouldn't. It was too heavy on merging to the point where I missed certain segments that should have been axed and added too much travel time. I redid the whole thing luckly I didn't submit the flawed plan otherwise I would have looked stupid. Now I am going based on ridership and traffic flow. However I have a problem with GSP. How would buses deal with traffic on the GSP between old bridge and patterson??? Yes express service is needed there but the GSP's traffic may choke bus lines and there has to be a way to get buses to bypass it. What would you do??

They can't get rid of the 125. Then there would no direct service to/from Journal Square. And it saves money, I think its stupid if one were to take the 88 to Bergenline then hop another bus to NY, when they can just get on the 125 and be in NY within 45 minutes and be done with it. If you were to take the 88 from Journal Square, It would take almost an hour and a half to get to New York because you would have to wait for a connecting bus.

There is NO need for direct service. If you want to get to NY directly from journal square use the PATH!!!!! The PATH is faster and cheaper. Others already mentioned interstate ridership on 125 is LOW meaning little to no one uses 125 to get to NYC from journal square. The 125 isn't needed at all it's a knockoff of the 88. If ppl actually used it to get to NYC then weekend service wouldn't be every 90 mins. It is a redundant line. Smart ppl use PATH it is much faster than 125 and cheaper. Most ppl are intrastate there 125 isn't needed it carries a few ppl and that's it.

Now that everyone has had their share of the Not and Not and Nots, allow me to chime in.

QT - Give me a break. And I don't mean a Kit Kat bar neither. The 125 was Academy owned before NJT took over. That line is not going anywhere. Also, that line is a big help for the 88 due to the fact that the 88 NEVER EVER IS ON TIME, EVEN IF THEY PUT LIGHTSPEED ENGINES FROM THE MILLENNIUM FALCON! You have so many people on Kennedy Blvd. that it's not even funny. Now, yes, I agree with some that the majority of people that take the 125 TO NYC is not a lot, but little do some people know that there are more people that take the 125 FROM NY to Kennedy Blvd. Reason? There are 2 or 3 hotels on 1/9 that tourists go to as an alternative to the Harmon Meadow Hotels. I have taken people to the Toys R Us Bus stop on 29th and Kennedy from NYC so they can get home. At a time, I can carry about maybe 20-30 people to the hotels. The reason why ridership is so low going TO NY is not a lot of people go to NY from Kennedy or Jo.Sq., which yes, I will admit (SHOCKING I KNOW) that QT is right if people want to take PATH as an alternative. Yet, lets remember, people might not want to go to WTC or the other stops, and rather have a direct punch to Times Sq.

Pablo - The 88 is insane. If there is one line that could use an articulated, it's that. You have stops practically on every bloody corner in North Bergen to Union City from Nunguessers to 32nd, it's not even funny. They could add more buses but where are they gonna get them from? It's bad, really bad at times. I am surprised that R/T changed their schedules. Nice find.

Now that everyone has had their share of the Not and Not and Nots, allow me to chime in.

QT - Give me a break. And I don't mean a Kit Kat bar neither. The 125 was Academy owned before NJT took over. That line is not going anywhere. Also, that line is a big help for the 88 due to the fact that the 88 NEVER EVER IS ON TIME, EVEN IF THEY PUT LIGHTSPEED ENGINES FROM THE MILLENNIUM FALCON! You have so many people on Kennedy Blvd. that it's not even funny. Now, yes, I agree with some that the majority of people that take the 125 TO NYC is not a lot, but little do some people know that there are more people that take the 125 FROM NY to Kennedy Blvd. Reason? There are 2 or 3 hotels on 1/9 that tourists go to as an alternative to the Harmon Meadow Hotels. I have taken people to the Toys R Us Bus stop on 29th and Kennedy from NYC so they can get home. At a time, I can carry about maybe 20-30 people to the hotels. The reason why ridership is so low going TO NY is not a lot of people go to NY from Kennedy or Jo.Sq., which yes, I will admit (SHOCKING I KNOW) that QT is right if people want to take PATH as an alternative. Yet, lets remember, people might not want to go to WTC or the other stops, and rather have a direct punch to Times Sq.

Awesome post!

Pablo - The 88 is insane. If there is one line that could use an articulated, it's that. You have stops practically on every bloody corner in North Bergen to Union City from Nunguessers to 32nd, it's not even funny. They could add more buses but where are they gonna get them from? It's bad, really bad at times. I am surprised that R/T changed their schedules. Nice find.

Doesn't the 154 help out the 88 on JFK between nunguessers and 32nd???? 154 has articulated buses.

INTERESTING inspirational but if that was the case why were R&T 99x and 10S eliminated from there??? explain why didn't R&T try to help out the 88 line??? If it needs more buses. arent those the characteristics that warrent gobus limited stop service??? That corridor I admit I don't understand hence why I backed off of the 88 line in my earlier plans which created a recreational service for tourists to go from their hotels directly to tourist attractions throughout NWNJ and be able to visit NJ and see its beauty giving em choice use 88 for NJ sightseeing or union city buses for NYC but I learned the hard way there are some lines that should just be left alone. I actually planned to power up 88 service after killing 125. where are those hotels exactly???

Shouldn't the 88 be broken up into 2 routes to improve on-time performance on the southern end?? Or a new rte along kennedy blvd south of 32nd street???

DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING!

You hit it on the head Transitkid!

The 88 needs MORE BUSES. No way this line qualifies for a GoBus Service.

1 - The street is narrow as it is and barely has room to drop off passengers in the regular stops. 2 - The Go88 would make no sense during the rush because of the mass of humanity in vehicles between 32nd to 49th and Kennedy on Rush Hour and even weekends.

3 - There is the Super 8, Days Inn, and Holiday Inn Express, and I THINK a Howard Johnson hotel near the area.

4 - Oh yeah, the reason why R/T won't help the 88 - um, the 88 is Academy owned and operated using NJT owned buses. R/T isn't leaving the Jersey City area period.

Doesn't the 154 help out the 88 on JFK between nunguessers and 32nd???? 154 has articulated buses.

INTERESTING inspirational but if that was the case why were R&T 99x and 10S eliminated from there??? explain why didn't R&T try to help out the 88 line??? If it needs more buses. arent those the characteristics that warrent gobus limited stop service??? That corridor I admit I don't understand hence why I backed off of the 88 line in my earlier plans which created a recreational service for tourists to go from their hotels directly to tourist attractions throughout NWNJ and be able to visit NJ and see its beauty giving em choice use 88 for NJ sightseeing or union city buses for NYC but I learned the hard way there are some lines that should just be left alone. I actually planned to power up 88 service after killing 125. where are those hotels exactly???

Shouldn't the 88 be broken up into 2 routes to improve on-time performance on the southern end?? Or a new rte along kennedy blvd south of 32nd street???

The 154 has more NABIs and MCIs on the route than Noeplan artics.

R&T used Kennedy Blvd past Journal Square as an non-stop express tactic. They only serve for themselves.

DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING!

You hit it on the head Transitkid!

The 88 needs MORE BUSES. No way this line qualifies for a GoBus Service.

1 - The street is narrow as it is and barely has room to drop off passengers in the regular stops. 2 - The Go88 would make no sense during the rush because of the mass of humanity in vehicles between 32nd to 49th and Kennedy on Rush Hour and even weekends.

3 - There is the Super 8, Days Inn, and Holiday Inn Express, and I THINK a Howard Johnson hotel near the area.

4 - Oh yeah, the reason why R/T won't help the 88 - um, the 88 is Academy owned and operated using NJT owned buses. R/T isn't leaving the Jersey City area period.

Sadly, NJT did a minor cutback of service on the 88 for midday service during the week.

The 88 doesn't need Go Service, but Kennedy Blvd isn't that narrow for it. Springfield Avenue in Newark isn't all that wide and has Go25 service. What qualifies a line for Go service is having a nice list of major stops along the way where it brings loads at each stop. Kennedy Blvd just doesn't have enough for that because the line picks up bits and pieces everywhere.

The only reason why R&T is still around in Jersey City is because of the 10, the ultimate money maker line for them.

I've been on Springfield, and there's more room on that street than Kennedy, IMO. At least you can have four lanes and room for parking. You BARELY get that on Kennedy. Just my opinion. But, Jersey City is $$$ for R/T. No way they'd leave that area.

Exactly. Only the 10 is keeping R&T around Jersey City AND Bayonne.

The 4 is a cash cow too but they don't see it that way.....

A little history. Before New Jersey Transit, there was the North Boulevard Transportation Company/Red And Tan. North Boulevard/R And T was based at 437 Tonnele Avenue near Manhattan Avenue.

Maybe someone can fill in how New Jersey Transit acquired the former North Boulevard Transportation Company. But back in the day:

The #2 was the #2;

The #88 was the #1;

The #123 was the #3;

I'm not sure which route number corresponds to the #4 (In North Boulevard/R And T days, this route ran, like, 60th Street and Bergenline Avenue to the George Washington Bridge Bus Trerminal)

The #125 was the #5

and I'm also not sure which route number corresponds to the #6 (a Secaucus-PABT route).

In turn, South Boulevard IBOA/Drogin, which operated the #10 and old #55, #99 and #99S was acquired by Coach U.S.A. and became part of the Red And Tan In Hudson County.

Most likely because of the length, Journal Square has always been the natural dividing point - North Boulevard provided service on the north Boulevard from Journal Square to Nungesser's via the #1, with the #2 providing service as far as Manhattan Avenue and the #5 as far as 30th and 31st Streets. South Boulevard provided the service on the south Boulevard from Journal Square to West 3d Street via the #10.

Interesting, true, story: The 99S had the S because at its' peak as a route, it ran from PABT, through Jersey City and Bayonne, via the Bayonne Bridge, through Staten Island and back into New Jersey via the Outerbridge Crossing, through Perth Amboy and to a place (I, unfortunately, forget the name), that, I believe, was a popular Summer town. Gradually, the 99S was cut back over the years, but kept its' S.

IIRC, the old #55 was a Bayonne-Newark route.

O.K. But how would you "enhance" the (NJT) #43? While the #43 does serve the entire length of Newark Avenue, there doesn't seem to be the ridership, I don't think, west of the Boulevard, and especially west of Tonnele Avenue to warrant running the #43 more than it does.

I think Pablo explained to me once why the #43 is scheduled the way it is, plus east of the Boulevard you have the #80 which seems to have good service, especially on weekdays.

ridership on 125 is so low it would barely leave a dent in the 88 or 123 let those other buses get that ridership. The red and tan will gladly have those riders. Allow ridership to increase on other lines. The 125 is useless it is 100% duplicate!!! other buses go to union city from NYC frequently!!!! 88 is frequent and no one uses 125 to get to JFK from NYC or even union city part to even justify continuing the 125 I'd rather enhance 43 than keep the 125 around

Interesting, true, story: The 99S had the S because at its' peak as a route, it ran from PABT, through Jersey City and Bayonne, via the Bayonne Bridge, through Staten Island and back into New Jersey via the Outerbridge Crossing, through Perth Amboy and to a place (I, unfortunately, forget the name), that, I believe, was a popular Summer town. Gradually, the 99S was cut back over the years, but kept its' S.

It's a shame that there were no stops in Staten Island. It would've made a great Jersey City-Staten Island-Perth Amboy connection. A stop at, say CSI, and/or Arthur Kill Road/West Shore Expressway would've generated a lot of riders.

A little history. Before New Jersey Transit, there was the North Boulevard Transportation Company/Red And Tan. North Boulevard/R And T was based at 437 Tonnele Avenue near Manhattan Avenue.

Maybe someone can fill in how New Jersey Transit acquired the former North Boulevard Transportation Company. But back in the day:

The #2 was the #2;

The #88 was the #1;

The #123 was the #3;

I'm not sure which route number corresponds to the #4 (In North Boulevard/R And T days, this route ran, like, 60th Street and Bergenline Avenue to the George Washington Bridge Bus Trerminal)

The #125 was the #5

and I'm also not sure which route number corresponds to the #6 (a Secaucus-PABT route).

In turn, South Boulevard IBOA/Drogin, which operated the #10 and old #55, #99 and #99S was acquired by Coach U.S.A. and became part of the Red And Tan In Hudson County.

Most likely because of the length, Journal Square has always been the natural dividing point - North Boulevard provided service on the north Boulevard from Journal Square to Nungesser's via the #1, with the #2 providing service as far as Manhattan Avenue and the #5 as far as 30th and 31st Streets. South Boulevard provided the service on the south Boulevard from Journal Square to West 3d Street via the #10.

If you had a old schedule of this, I'd love to see it.

Archived