Renaming the Staten Island railway

MattTrain

The Staten Island railway, which train line has no letter or number code, should be renamed (T) or be given a letter name. It's like the present day (G) train, only four cars. The R44's as some friends tell me don't make as much noise as the ones you'd see on the (A) and Rockaway Park (S).

It's like having a mini-subway in Staten Island, because it's grade-separated from streets.

These stations need improvement

Clifton

Richmond Valley

Atlantic

Atlantic shouldn't be a station, it only fits one car, well the last one in both directions. This is a safety concern, because there's no train crew member in the last car. B) Both directions.

St. Geroge bound trains only have three cars fitting in Clifton.

Trains in both directions only have three cars fitting in Richmond Valley.

Well this is just a thought.

The designation (T) is being saved for the Second Avenue subway line if it is ever built down towards the Hanover Square area of lower Manhattan. The Atlantic station is supposed to be closed along with the Nassau station and a new one built in the middle of where they both exist. The other stations don't have enough users to warrant the expense of making them longer.

I say keep it SIR instead of wasting a letter since it's only one line on the island. What type of cars do you think the (T) will get? R160's??

That or R179s. Who knows but its going to be NTTs.

But as for renaming the SIR, I say keep it as it is. And as someone said already, the (T) is the Second Avenue Subway.

The nearest possible connection with the Staten Island Railway would be the (R) at Bay Ridge.

Connect the (R) and have it run on the bridge that connects Brooklyn and Staten Island, and you have a five-borough subway.

Or make a tunnel between the two boroughs.

I'm not sure if the bridge can handle the train car's weight though.

The nearest possible connection with the Staten Island Railway would be the (R) at Bay Ridge.

Connect the (R) and have it run on the bridge that connects Brooklyn and Staten Island, and you have a five-borough subway.

Or make a tunnel between the two boroughs.

I'm not sure if the bridge can handle the train car's weight though.

The bridge doesn't have provisions for a subway or any kind of rail to run on it so it'll have to be a tunnel.

• 4 weeks later...
The bridge doesn't have provisions for a subway or any kind of rail to run on it so it'll have to be a tunnel.

Yep, Mr. Robert Moses, the leader of the whole Verrazano Narrows bridge construction operation, made sure to try his best to stop any Rapid Transit Growth. He went as far to build a Bridge to Staten Island that in many retrospects disallowed a train from operating over it. As stated no provisions for train operation were created and Moses made the grade so steep, train operation would be inefficient to operate over the bridge. Moses was responsible of the removal of El's and the lack of growth of mass transit during the 1950s- 1970s era.

Yep, Mr. Robert Moses, the leader of the whole Verrazano Narrows bridge construction operation, made sure to try his best to stop any Rapid Transit Growth. He went as far to build a Bridge to Staten Island that in many retrospects disallowed a train from operating over it. As stated no provisions for train operation were created and Moses made the grade so steep, train operation would be inefficient to operate over the bridge. Moses was responsible of the removal of El's and the lack of growth of mass transit during the 1950s- 1970s era.

If all his dreams were realized NYC would be a mess today.

- Andy

• 4 weeks later...
That or R179s. Who knows but its going to be NTTs.

But as for renaming the SIR, I say keep it as it is. And as someone said already, the (T) is the Second Avenue Subway.

160s, since the Quincy is going to run them. if the mta decides to fit PSDs at the stations, its going to be for one type of rolling stock.

• 2 weeks later...
The Staten Island railway, which train line has no letter or number code, should be renamed (T) or be given a letter name. It's like the present day (G) train, only four cars. The R44's as some friends tell me don't make as much noise as the ones you'd see on the (A) and Rockaway Park (S).

It's like having a mini-subway in Staten Island, because it's grade-separated from streets.

These stations need improvement

Clifton

Richmond Valley

Atlantic

Atlantic shouldn't be a station, it only fits one car, well the last one in both directions. This is a safety concern, because there's no train crew member in the last car. B) Both directions.

St. Geroge bound trains only have three cars fitting in Clifton.

Trains in both directions only have three cars fitting in Richmond Valley.

Well this is just a thought.

The Staten Island Railway cannot be renamed to (T) because the (T) line is reserved for the Second Ave subway line. The Staten Island Railway should ethier be renamed ethier (H),or (K) or U,or X or Y these are ethier routes that SIRT should be renamed since it is unsued and not planned.

• 3 months later...

ur right. the atlantic Station on the (SIR) line is way too deserted. its very scary at night. that station shouldnt be open at all if only ONE car fits in the station.

Clifton however, they should fix the gap at the St.George platform. the last car doesnt open bacause of the wide gap it has in the last car, but the train fits perfect.

Certainly "O/0", but depending on typeface, "I" could be passable as it could look more different than a "1".

I would say, give it an ironbar I. By yeah, it depends on the typeface. The MTA generally uses Helvetica. Which is similar to Arial.

An Arial I is: I, it looks like a 1. The MTA won't switch to Times New Roman, eh? I mean I know this works: I, but they are not going to switch it to that. :)

Lately, I've been toying with NTT route rollsign bullets (which are essentially the descendants of the part time route bullets used on maps) and I was thinking of the typeface used for them when I posted. The OCR font used has a ironbar I, and even though it wouldn't be used, there's a Ø used in the font which would be the OCR of differentiating between a O and 0.

75pxnycsr160bulltransixcv7.png75pxnycsr142bulltransspui4.png

Compared to a (1), that's distinctive enough for me. The Ø is also fairly recognized internationally.

Lately, I've been toying with NTT route rollsign bullets (which are essentially the descendants of the part time route bullets used on maps) and I was thinking of the typeface used for them when I posted. The OCR font used has a ironbar I, and even though it wouldn't be used, there's a Ø used in the font which would be the OCR of differentiating between a O and 0.

75pxnycsr160bulltransixcv7.png75pxnycsr142bulltransspui4.png

Compared to a (1), that's distinctive enough for me. The Ø is also fairly recognized internationally.

On the route rollsign bullets they appear as an ironbar. But, the problem is that the typeface the MTA uses in typical signage is Helvetica. A Helvetican I is not an ironbar.

Archived