Renaming the Staten Island railway

MattTrain

On the route rollsign bullets they appear as an ironbar. But, the problem is that the typeface the MTA uses in typical signage is Helvetica. A Helvetican I is not an ironbar.

No, I understood that, as well as from your previous post. I'm just explaining my first post. :)

There's some evidence that the NTT (A) character might be a break from the OCR font used for the NTT bullets. If so, there's the precedent to use a modified ironbar I for the standard bullets used on signage.

No, I understood that, as well as from your previous post. I'm just explaining my first post. :)

There's some evidence that the NTT (A) character might be a break from the OCR font used for the NTT bullets. If so, there's the precedent to use a modified ironbar I for the standard bullets used on signage.

Yeah... but I doubt the MTA would rename the SIR.

It's ridiculous to rename the SIR. I mean, BIG DEAL. Come on. Why waste another lump of money just to rename SIR into some letter? If I had the money, I would fix up the SIR and consider giving it some worthy extensions that will benefit the rail deprived SIers.

Even if they do, I think the people in SI will continue to call it the SIR rather than whatever letter it could use. Some people refer the South Brooklyn lines as the West End, Sea Beach, Culver and Brighton as opposed to the D, N, F, Q (:), respectively.

• 6 months later...
Staten Island would not see any (T) in the future.

Only 8, (9), (H), I, (K), O, P, U, X, Y can replace the numbering and lettering of line but I'd leave the Staten Island Railway naming as it is. That feel more comfy to hear...

The 42nd St shuttle is known among MTA employees and elsewhere (unofficially) as the 8, and the same with the Rockaway Park shuttle and (H). So you probably couldn't use I, O (due to similarities to 1 and 0) as well as the H and 8.

No Disrespect but u guys are all smokin something talkin bout letters for that line and tunnels and it goin over the verzanno Never goin to happen!!! not even in 50 yrs..The MTA has no money did u forget bout that and on top of it. Do u see how long they have takin to build the second ave line...Come on now reading this makes me sad that u guys follow the MTA....I think Staten Island is even lucky it has a Subway.When it is really not needed!!!!!!

A (T) come on!!! LMFAO...

Yep, Mr. Robert Moses, the leader of the whole Verrazano Narrows bridge construction operation, made sure to try his best to stop any Rapid Transit Growth. He went as far to build a Bridge to Staten Island that in many retrospects disallowed a train from operating over it. As stated no provisions for train operation were created and Moses made the grade so steep, train operation would be inefficient to operate over the bridge. Moses was responsible of the removal of El's and the lack of growth of mass transit during the 1950s- 1970s era.

Robert Moses or no Robert Moses, the fact still remains that the grade leading up to the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge is too steep for rail vehicles. I don't remember the exact statistics, but a rail ramp leading up to the existing Verrazano-Narrows Bridge would have to be several miles long. The bridge can't be made any lower or else ships wouldn't be able to fit underneath it. Robert Moses doesn't have anything to do with that outcome.

Robert Moses or no Robert Moses, the fact still remains that the grade leading up to the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge is too steep for rail vehicles. I don't remember the exact statistics, but a rail ramp leading up to the existing Verrazano-Narrows Bridge would have to be several miles long. The bridge can't be made any lower or else ships wouldn't be able to fit underneath it. Robert Moses doesn't have anything to do with that outcome.

Actually he did.

SIR stays SIR.

- A

simple fact: Staten Island Railway is not a subway line. Its a Railroad that is not physically connected to the nation's rail network. hence the Class 1A status from the FRA. its one line. with local and express Rush hour service. it does not need a letter or number. for Map and printed schedule purposes, they are phasing in a bullet for the line. its a dark blue circle with the letters "SIR" in it.

i see many diccussions on this line and what many would like to see from it. but some things wont happen for decades and some we will never see at all.

all of their cars are made to FRA specs like any other commuter railroad. 68's, 143's 160's will never be seen in SI.

current 44's that run on the (A) will never be seen in SI without an overhaul. and given their age, not happening.

the next fleet is 179's. 64 of the order will be built specifically for SI.

a subway extention into SI? not in our lifetimes. and it wont share tracks with it if that does happen. it took 80 years just to finally see 1/4th of second ave opened in 2015. i dont even see myself alive to see the full 125th to hanover sq fully opened. we will have a better chance of seeing the North Shore line re-opened. and even then, no letter designations.

• 3 months later...

I think it should stay Staten Island Railway. I like the line's acronym: SIR (as in "To Sir, With Love"). Perhaps you could create a (SIR) bullet with a color different from the subway.

I hear Tompkinsville may be/will be joining Saint George with fare control. The new Arthur Kill station will replace both Atlantic and Nassau stations and be in between those two.

I've ridden SIR once. Combined with my only ferry trip, from Saint George to Dongan Hills. A nice ride.

:clicks imaginary thanks button for Far Rock's post:

Well stated. Not only would the construction take decades, but it would be far too expensive to build such a connection.

And is it really that necessary to connect SI via rail link to either Brooklyn or Manhattan? They chose to live there than in Brooklyn, Queens, or the Bronx. They have free ferry service and loads of express buses [which some should really be consolodated to get maximum useage.

To spend all that money for just SI to the other boroughs is a major waste of money. That money would be better spent connecting Jersey City to Manhattan. As then it would serve two states and both would share the costs.

]No Disrespect but u guys are all smokin something talkin bout letters for that line and tunnels and it goin over the verzanno Never goin to happen!!! not even in 50 yrs..The MTA has no money did u forget bout that and on top of it. Do u see how long they have takin to build the second ave line...Come on now reading this makes me sad that u guys follow the MTA....I think Staten Island is even lucky it has a Subway.When it is really not needed!!!!!![/b]

A (T) come on!!! LMFAO...

How about you do us all a favor and......

gtfotransformer.jpg

:clicks imaginary thanks button for Far Rock's post:

Well stated. Not only would the construction take decades, but it would be far too expensive to build such a connection.

And is it really that necessary to connect SI via rail link to either Brooklyn or Manhattan? They chose to live there than in Brooklyn, Queens, or the Bronx. They have free ferry service and loads of express buses [which some should really be consolodated to get maximum useage.

To spend all that money for just SI to the other boroughs is a major waste of money. That money would be better spent connecting Jersey City to Manhattan. As then it would serve two states and both would share the costs.

We already have PATH connecting Jersey City to Manhattan. I don't this happening, but saying that it's too expensive and would take too long is the same attitude which has doomed nearly all subway expansion in the last few decades, combined with NIMBYs. A connection from SI to Brooklyn would be out of the question since there is no way the 4 Av Line, Manhattan Bridge, and Montague tunnel could support the amount of extra service needed for Staten Island, especially if the Manny B is closed again in the future. A Manhattan connection would be more viable using the exiting infrastructure in Manhattan connecting at either Whitehall St or South Ferry (1). Another option, which is probably the easiest alternative would be a light-rail link from Bayonne and Jersey City into SI, most likely an extension of HBLR. There is also a provision for a rail corridor, or at least space for one, on the proposed new Goethals Bridge.

We already have PATH connecting Jersey City to Manhattan. I don't this happening, but saying that it's too expensive and would take too long is the same attitude which has doomed nearly all subway expansion in the last few decades, combined with NIMBYs. A connection from SI to Brooklyn would be out of the question since there is no way the 4 Av Line, Manhattan Bridge, and Montague tunnel could support the amount of extra service needed for Staten Island, especially if the Manny B is closed again in the future. A Manhattan connection would be more viable using the exiting infrastructure in Manhattan connecting at either Whitehall St or South Ferry (1). Another option, which is probably the easiest alternative would be a light-rail link from Bayonne and Jersey City into SI, most likely an extension of HBLR. There is also a provision for a rail corridor, or at least space for one, on the proposed new Goethals Bridge.

Oh I know about Path. I'm saying as an example, the money would be better spent on something like that than SI to Manhattan or Brooklyn.

The name Staten Island Railroad name should be kept - why change it.

In my opinion, I would rather for the Brooklyn-Staten Island subway tunnel from 59th St to St. George be built first (since Staten Island is a borough New York City so connect it with the rest of the city first) then the light rail to New Jersey second. I believe it can happen.

Oh I know about Path. I'm saying as an example, the money would be better spent on something like that than SI to Manhattan or Brooklyn.

OK, but seeing as something like that already exits, money would be better spent on SI which unlike NJ has no direct rail connection to anywhere.

In response to the original question ... the name HAS already been changed. It went from the Staten Island Rapid Transit Operating Authority (SIRTOA) to the Staten Island Railway (SIR).

Since there is only the one line, I think the trains simply display "Saint George" and "Tottenville".

Tottenville, Tottenville Express, St. George, and Great Kills which is where locals terminate during times with express service. I'm not sure if there is a St. George Express or if they run with Tottenville Express signs.

• 1 month later...
The Staten Island Railway cannot be renamed to (T) because the (T) line is reserved for the Second Ave subway line. The Staten Island Railway should ethier be renamed ethier (H),or (K) or U,or X or Y these are ethier routes that SIRT should be renamed since it is unsued and not planned.

Build an under harbor tunnel, and connect SIR with the SAS, and then it would be (T)!

Archived