July 4 2011! America's 235th Birthday

Shortline Bus

Today guys is July 4, 2011. This is America's 235th Anniversity. So what you did this holiday weekend like events, trips, attending or watching the Nathan's Hot Dog Contest or even family BBQ's? Feel free to also post your favorite songs(please nothing negative today)about our nation.

Also what is the best part of living in America despite's it's many problems and issues?:cool:

IMO and many tens of millions of people, despite it's many flaws it's still the fairest and most succesful nation-state in world history.

So to America 'Happy Birthday'.Here is 'God Bless America' the famous version by Kate Smith.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCavKL2zdjM

I know this won't sound very popular, but can someone use a newer recording [different singer] of that song? They've played it so many times for Yankees home games, that I just have to mute it whenever it plays. It's not the song, it's the singer, it just doesn't resonate with me [maybe because i'm young]. I think a variety of singers would be nice.

THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA may have its problems (well documented by me on here of course, but only because I want a BETTER USA) - but that said it's good to take time out to CELEBRATE THIS COUNTRY's HISTORY and WHERE IT CAME FROM and WHO FOUNDED IT and WHY.

Wipe the cobwebs off and crack open the history books and learn a thing or two about the founding of this nation and the AMAZING PRINCIPLES it was founded on which still ought to be our guiding principles.

AND BE PROUD TO BE AMERICAN. Not "because we are the best" but because our nation is founded on the greatest principles to ever found a nation, and if we stay true to those principles we CAN AND WILL BE THE GREATEST NATION ON THIS PLANET.

but most of all...BE FREE, and LIVE FREE

Now one of my favorite patriotic songs:

Happy Fourth of July to everyone here at NYCTF. I will celebrate today at Crotona Park along with my sister who shares a birthday along with the United States. Time for some BBQ and to thank those men and women overseas who protect our freedom. I can say that not only I am proud of being a New Yorker, but I am proud of being an American.

Great choice subway guy of that great song about the USA. Anyhow hope also remembers our troops on this day as well.

Staying close to home today as neighbor is throwing a BBQ. Plus my brother had to work (he an asst. manager at Metro North)so plans to go to Baseball HOF have been called off. Did had fun on Saturday Night in Atlantic City.

Anyhow back to topic. One of the best parts of living in America is that you have the freedom of speech. You allowed to say almost anything (other than making a threat to kill them of course)positive or negative about the President of the United States and other politcal leaders.

Still today in much of the world sadly, if you say anything 'negative' about a national leader (many of them dictators)your a@@ will be throwing in jail or worse you can even be killed.

THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA may have its problems (well documented by me on here of course, but only because I want a BETTER USA) - but that said it's good to take time out to CELEBRATE THIS COUNTRY's HISTORY and WHERE IT CAME FROM and WHO FOUNDED IT and WHY.

Wipe the cobwebs off and crack open the history books and learn a thing or two about the founding of this nation and the AMAZING PRINCIPLES it was founded on which still ought to be our guiding principles.

AND BE PROUD TO BE AMERICAN. Not "because we are the best" but because our nation is founded on the greatest principles to ever found a nation, and if we stay true to those principles we CAN AND WILL BE THE GREATEST NATION ON THIS PLANET.

but most of all...BE FREE, and LIVE FREE

Now one of my favorite patriotic songs:

I know this won't sound very popular, but can someone use a newer recording [different singer] of that song? They've played it so many times for Yankees home games, that I just have to mute it whenever it plays. It's not the song, it's the singer, it just doesn't resonate with me [maybe because i'm young]. I think a variety of singers would be nice.
I love the Kate Smith version and when they play it at Yankee Games.

Another great song about "America." Here the theme to Rocky IV "Living in America' by the late and legendary 'hardest working man in showbusiness' James Brown. (No! Not the CBS sportscaster of the same name, the other one aka "Godfather of Soul and Rock:cool:)

Little off topic but related. Here a taste to IMO the best fireworks show i seen in my life so far. The 1986 Statue of Liberty 100th anniversary celebration including the now lengedary fireworks show.

1986 still is one of the best years of my life.

Saw this in person with a few friends from school in Bay Ridge on the waterfront along Shore Rd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ7Mxh8ZkSE

shortline: there's a thing called the edit button. Just add to your existing posts than continuing to 'bump' your thread. It's gonna be here for a few hours, stop 'bumping'. It's very annoying and screams 'pay attention to me'.

I love the Kate Smith version and when they play it at Yankee Games.

I disagree, I think it's dated and would likely 'fall asleep' listening to it. They need a modern adaptation of it.

Archived