What is wrong with Select Bus Service

BrooklynBus

Hurting drivers will not help transit. But the Department of Transportation and the MTA believes it will.

Last week I gave 10 changes the MTA needs to implement to get back on track so that our mass transit system can better serve its users. However, the MTA and DOT have their own misguided ideas.

Years ago, the MTA realized there will never be enough capital money to build all the necessary subway expansions. So, in 2004, the MTA decided that, rather than building any more subway lines, they will turn to buses instead by making them faster. But as the agency continues to roll out BRT/SBS service, they mistakenly throttle automobile traffic, thinking this might bolster mass transit usage. Let me explain.

Read more: http://www.sheepsheadbites.com/2011/07/hurting-drivers-will-not-help-transit/#disqus_thread

Good article. Another reason the (MTA) is just a yes agency to making profits and not being creative unless needed. If the plan to turn Woodhaven/Cross Bay Blvd into bus only lanes (I support bus only lanes also but on a case-case basis)as people from all over the city and beyond use that coordior man we talking mega traffic jams 7 days a week.

Bus lanes may take up space and create more traffic. But their main purpose is to cause traffic nightmare and make people leave their cars home and take mass transit.

We know that, but as the article points out merely putting in a bus lane does not give them the option to take mass transit without other changes being made also. Putting BRT on Woodhaven is an excuse not to reactivate the Rockaway Line, just as Second Avenue is an excuse not to complete the subway. A BRT across central Brooklyn is an excuse not to convert the Bay Ridge LIRR to light rail. These examples are cost effective ways to improve mass transit without hurting drivers.

We know that, but as the article points out merely putting in a bus lane does not give them the option to take mass transit without other changes being made also. Putting BRT on Woodhaven is an excuse not to reactivate the Rockaway Line, just as Second Avenue is an excuse not to complete the subway. A BRT across central Brooklyn is an excuse not to convert the Bay Ridge LIRR to light rail. These examples are cost effective ways to improve mass transit without hurting drivers.

I think the bay ridge LIRR should be extended to either NJ or SI to atleast complete the network.

Archived