Another fare hike might not be so bad

How would you and other riders react to a $3 base fare and a $120 unlimited monthly metrocard? I feel that this is the best way for the (MTA) to gain needed revenue. A $3 flat fare and $120 for an entire month is VERY cheap compared to other transportation alternatives. Feel free to comment on if the MTA should implement these rates within the next year.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you joking!? Do you see how bad the economy is right now people losing jobs left and right... Since you have so much money and your so smart how about you pay the MTA $3.. Let's see how that works out. Also since your so rich pay the MTA the debt that they owe. Again since you have so much money..

You might be stupider then you look

Are you joking!? Do you see how bad the economy is right now people losing jobs left and right... Since you have so much money and your so smart how about you pay the MTA $3.. Let's see how that works out. Also since your so rich pay the MTA the debt that they owe. Again since you have so much money..

You might be stupider then you look

Owing a car= EXPENSIVE

Using taxis or livery cabs on a regular basis= EXPENSIVE

Walking= Not feasible for long distances

A subway or bus ride is the cheapest and best way around the city and to think that the fare should be left at $2.25 (2.50 for a single ride) when the (MTA) is in big trouble is total nonsense. The riders should not have to let their system suffer because some are losing jobs and can't afford an extra $.75 or $16 a month. No one has billion dollars to hand the (MTA) so riders, even the less fortunate ones should do their part to help THEIR transportation.

"Ask not what the (MTA) can do for you, ask what you could do for the (MTA)"

nope

Your beloved Metro has even higher fares and no unlimited passes.

I don't see any particular reason why $120 is horrible for 30 days considering how good of a deal it is (if the base fare is $2.50 it only takes 48 trips, or under two trips per day, to break even), but it shouldn't go over that. My concern isn't the fare itself, but rather where the money is going. If the TWU and bureaucratic procedures eat it up and it doesn't go to vital maintenance and upgrades, then it's a waste.

Owing a car= EXPENSIVE

A subway or bus ride is the cheapest and best way around the city and to think that the fare should be left at $2.25 (2.50 for a single ride) when the (MTA) is in big trouble is total nonsense. The riders should not have to let their system suffer because some are losing jobs and can't afford an extra $.75 or $16 a month. No one has billion dollars to hand the (MTA) so riders, even the less fortunate ones should do their part to help THEIR transportation.

1. The (MTA) is not John F Kennedy and there should be no expectation of "patriotism" to this agency.

2. Really? Of all the quotes you can pull you got this one?

3. People shouldn't be expected to pay more for even less service, ESPECIALLY when them and others are falling on hard times, and its disingenuous to actually suggest that people should kick in more when they're losing THEIR money themselves.

4. Really? Of all the quotes you can pull you got this one?

How would you and other riders react to a $3 base fare and a $120 unlimited monthly metrocard? I feel that this is the best way for the (MTA) to gain needed revenue. A $3 flat fare and $120 for an entire month is VERY cheap compared to other transportation alternatives. Feel free to comment on if the MTA should implement these rates within the next year.

your an idiot, plan as simple, not everyone would be able to afford that, i hate when you guys try to say we need a fare hike, whoever supports that is a total jackass, get a life

Owing a car= EXPENSIVE

you sound like an total ass,if you love the (MTA) so much you should go up to jay walder and go lick his ass clean then until then shut up,

Your beloved Metro has even higher fares and no unlimited passes.

I don't see any particular reason why $120 is horrible for 30 days considering how good of a deal it is (if the base fare is $2.50 it only takes 48 trips, or under two trips per day, to break even), but it shouldn't go over that. My concern isn't the fare itself, but rather where the money is going. If the TWU and bureaucratic procedures eat it up and it doesn't go to vital maintenance and upgrades, then it's a waste.

actually WMATA has a loophole the metro has unlimited weekly passes and unlimited bus transfers within a 3 hour period heck sometimes longer. they still have the day pass and if ur a MARC or MTA commuter bus user you pay around $92 for unlimited WMATA services

1. The (MTA) is not John F Kennedy and there should be no expectation of "patriotism" to this agency.

2. Really? Of all the quotes you can pull you got this one?

3. People shouldn't be expected to pay more for even less service, ESPECIALLY when them and others are falling on hard times, and its disingenuous to actually suggest that people should kick in more when they're losing THEIR money themselves.

4. Really? Of all the quotes you can pull you got this one?

I would only pay $120 if I got unlimited express bus usage in addition to bus and subway and LIRR within the city and 20% off on rail fare if not seriously NO!!!!!! Fare hikes only work when they are combined with ENHANCED SERVICE!!!!!!!!!

I would support a $3 fare if it provided unlimited transfers for 2 hours.

I actually agree with ya here. however Here is how I would do it the metrocard fare will drop to $2 for local and $5 for express bus BUT the cash fare for express bus will increase to $6 and bus to $3 or $2.75. Then coins will no longer be accepted on express buses only bills. Express bus will gain a special unlimited transfer ability for 2 hours only with express bus. The single ride ticket would get axed!!!! seriously get a metrocard. $4.50 is not bad ppl especially for a round trip. Then eliminate paper transfers on all buses except bee-line and LI buses as they have fewer places to get metrocard. A new rewards program is developed exclusively for monthly metrocard and rail pass owners that will get them access to exclusive discounts at many places throughout the MTA service region. Any business who participates will have their payroll tax reduced.

actually WMATA has a loophole the metro has unlimited weekly passes and unlimited bus transfers within a 3 hour period heck sometimes longer. they still have the day pass and if ur a MARC or MTA commuter bus user you pay around $92 for unlimited WMATA services

As someone who had to deal with that system daily for a few months, that's not true. You could theoretically use one-day passes but they don't work during rush hours, so they're not truly unlimited. Since WMATA uses distance-based pricing that doesn't conform to a zone system, it's impossible to have such passes unless they use the Japanese model that selects between two stations; even so, this opens up problems with permutations and such (which stations between two points are valid if there are multiple lines et al).

I ride the express bus so if the fare was raised to $3.00 for the local bus and subway, then that means that the express bus would probably go up to about $7. I have said before that I would support the express bus fare going up, BUT there would have to be some serious service improvements to get it. For starters I am sick of riding all of these old @ss hand-me-down MCIs with broken overhead lights, chairs and arm rests, not including broken bells. :mad:

We on Staten Island have the most express bus routes and some of the longest commutes in the country, yet we get the oldest buses??? Meanwhile the Bronx, Queens and Brooklyn have relatively newer express buses with destination signs that work and can be seen from afar, climate control that works as it should and chairs and bells that work. Old buses mean more breakdowns and less reliability. Apparently the X14 broke down tonight or came so late that folks were scrambling to get to the X30 to get them close to their homes by Forest Avenue.

We're supposedly getting some new express buses, but they need to put a rush on them because the current fleet on Staten Island is in terrible shape. :mad:

We don't have a monthly Unlimited Express Bus card, so I have get a weekly at $50.00, which means my monthly Express Bus expense is $200.00 - $250.00 depending on the number of weeks in the month. Okay, I realize it's a premium fare but we get sh*t service for it. The X30 should run until at least 19:30 to 20:00 and the X1 should run 24/7. :mad:

The real slap in the face is that they claim that they're adding service on lines like the X10 and the buses are either broken down, MIA or arriving 10 minutes early. Both Saturday and Monday I had to scramble to get out of my cab because the bus was already turning onto Schmidts Lane and Manor Rd 10 minutes early. Yesterday I called myself catching the 21:51 only to get there and see that apparently the bus was either MIA or came early, so that meant waiting for the next one for almost 45 minutes after having hauled @ss from Times Square to 41st and 5th with my heavy Whole Foods bag. :mad:

So yeah, raise the fare??? Let's take care of the basics first like making sure that the buses show up on time and stop arriving early or whenever they want to (esp. when there is no traffic) and let's make sure that buses are spaced properly so they're not bunching together. The last two X30s of late bunch up along with the X14s. Spread those buses out properly! :mad:

And don't get me started on the subway... Filthy filthy filthy... :mad: :tdown:

However, the overall attitude is that everyone is always struggling even when the economy was doing well, so there will never be a "right time" to raise it. You see I don't mind paying more for quality service, but many people don't and the system will never get better with that mentality.

(MTA) New York is known for their unwise spending, so raising the fare so more money is wasted...I don't think so. I rather see some production first from this entity as a whole, instead of paying more for less and less service.

I actually agree with ya here. however Here is how I would do it the metrocard fare will drop to $2 for local and $5 for express bus BUT the cash fare for express bus will increase to $6 and bus to $3 or $2.75. Then coins will no longer be accepted on express buses only bills. Express bus will gain a special unlimited transfer ability for 2 hours only with express bus. The single ride ticket would get axed!!!! seriously get a metrocard. $4.50 is not bad ppl especially for a round trip. Then eliminate paper transfers on all buses except bee-line and LI buses as they have fewer places to get metrocard. A new rewards program is developed exclusively for monthly metrocard and rail pass owners that will get them access to exclusive discounts at many places throughout the MTA service region. Any business who participates will have their payroll tax reduced.

The idea of a cash surcharge is a very good idea, but only when SmartCards become implemented.

The cash fare could then be $2.75 while the MetroCard fare stays the same. There could then be a rule that one cannot pay for the express bus without a smartcard (no bills!). Cash fare customers would no longer be able to get any transfers.

That pass perks program reminds me of MTA Baltimore. Not a good idea in NYC, but could work in the suburbs.

Owing a car= EXPENSIVE

The Feds have billions of dollars for wars and corporate/social welfare, the State has billions of dollars in sweetheart deals for government contracts and corporate/social welfare and the Mayor is worth billions of dollars. And no one at the top has a billion dollars for the MTA? Come on!

No, I'm sorry, but the for the MTA to raise fares yet again and keep the same crappy service that they've been giving us is unconscionable at this point in time. Bring back the (W) and the (N) express in Manhattan, put 60-foot SBS buses on the Q12 and Q13 routes, go back to 30-minute weekend headways on the Port Washington LIRR line and put the Phase 1 of the 2nd Avenue Subway on a "fast track" (pardon the pun) to completion would be a starting point.

Do you seriously think that any of those rich people you have mentioned even care about us? I don't think so. I know rich people that refers to mass transit as a bums only system. I know rich snobs that call the people that use the subway as poor people that work. Why do you think they would care about us? They won't care about us. The rich has always snubbed the poor. Who do you think Robert Moses was against in the 50's and 60's? He was against poor and working class people. Look at how much power he had. The rich and powerful never cares about us. It has been like that since the day society was born.

Owning a car is definitely not expensive if you know what you are doing.

Cars can take you places easier then the subway/buses. I personally only take the subway/buses when I am going to the city. I rather not sit through multiple transfers going somewhere in Queens or Staten riding the subway/buses and would rather drive my car.

I mean $3 would be considered cheap since premium gas is $4.15 at my local station. If all the cars in NYC don't have a problem paying $3.40+ for gas, I don't see why $3 for a ride would shut down the transit or people would boycott.

Like said, if they ever boycott the transit just because of the $3 raise; the roads would be packed and/or people would be very late to work and what not.

the thing is with the fare at where it is now we are not givin the MTA anything too work with. they are making so many changes construction of stations all over the city coast millions and new tracks and signals are in the millions as well and being that we have a system that runs 24/7 365 $2.25 is not a dime too them. no other place does that at all none we should pay into our transit system as other states and countries do so we can have a working and good system.

Archived