Another fare hike might not be so bad

I think that a fare hike would be good. $2.25 is nothing, and just raising it up by 75 cents would generate so much more money for the MTA and then maybe they'd be able to actually get stuff done.

As mentioned above, the express bus fare would probably go up also to around $7 or $8, which in my opinion is still a bargain. If I remember correctly the cost for the MTA to run express buses is more than the amount they get back in fares, so they either need to get rid of express buses completely or change it so that they're not losing money off of them.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
the thing is with the fare at where it is now we are not givin the MTA anything too work with. they are making so many changes construction of stations all over the city coast millions and new tracks and signals are in the millions as well and being that we have a system that runs 24/7 365 $2.25 is not a dime too them. no other place does that at all none we should pay into our transit system as other states and countries do so we can have a working and good system.

This is THE reason a fare hike would be needed. Anyone with a brain would know that. If people paid a little extra, $3 per ride and $120 for monthly unlimited cards is not radical,then the better service they ask for can be given to them.

Owing a car= EXPENSIVE

Using taxis or livery cabs on a regular basis= EXPENSIVE

Walking= Not feasible for long distances

A subway or bus ride is the cheapest and best way around the city and to think that the fare should be left at $2.25 (2.50 for a single ride) when the (MTA) is in big trouble is total nonsense. The riders should not have to let their system suffer because some are losing jobs and can't afford an extra $.75 or $16 a month. No one has billion dollars to hand the (MTA) so riders, even the less fortunate ones should do their part to help THEIR transportation.

"Ask not what the (MTA) can do for you, ask what you could do for the (MTA)"

How would you and other riders react to a $3 base fare and a $120 unlimited monthly metrocard? I feel that this is the best way for the (MTA) to gain needed revenue. A $3 flat fare and $120 for an entire month is VERY cheap compared to other transportation alternatives. Feel free to comment on if the MTA should implement these rates within the next year.

Cocaine is a hell of a drug....

This is THE reason a fare hike would be needed. Anyone with a brain would know that. If people paid a little extra, $3 per ride and $120 for monthly unlimited cards is not radical,then the better service they ask for can be given to them.

Might as well raise the fare a little extra to 4 dollars, because all of NYC can afford it!

Do you seriously think that any of those rich people you have mentioned even care about us? I don't think so. I know rich people that refers to mass transit as a bums only system. I know rich snobs that call the people that use the subway as poor people that work. Why do you think they would care about us? They won't care about us. The rich has always snubbed the poor. Who do you think Robert Moses was against in the 50's and 60's? He was against poor and working class people. Look at how much power he had. The rich and powerful never cares about us. It has been like that since the day society was born.

Once again you failed to read my post all the way through. First off, I'm talking about people in government. I'm talking about politicians, many of whom also happen to be wealthy. Not all politicians are CEO-wealthy or even stock-broker wealthy, but many make more than your average, every-day Joe. Second off, I know they don't care about us. So who do the hell they think they are to come to us, asking for us to pay more and claiming the country, the state and/or the city are broke, when they actually do have billions of dollars to spend on pet projects and government contracts?

We both agree that it's ridiculous to raise the fares. Don't look for something to disagree with just for the sake of disagreeing. It's really irritating.

thats the point, we need too pay into it for good service and more service. we only pay $2.25 too ride a system bigger than most states in miles and that unlimited metro card is making them go broke. $29 too ride all day for 7 days that card in just one day is worth over a $100 or more. is just nuts too me. so yea people dont like the far but look at how much you are paying for all this service.

I ride the express bus so if the fare was raised to $3.00 for the local bus and subway, then that means that the express bus would probably go up to about $7. I have said before that I would support the express bus fare going up, BUT there would have to be some serious service improvements to get it. For starters I am sick of riding all of these old @ss hand-me-down MCIs with broken overhead lights, chairs and arm rests, not including broken bells. :mad:

We on Staten Island have the most express bus routes and some of the longest commutes in the country, yet we get the oldest buses??? Meanwhile the Bronx, Queens and Brooklyn have relatively newer express buses with destination signs that work and can be seen from afar, climate control that works as it should and chairs and bells that work. Old buses mean more breakdowns and less reliability. Apparently the X14 broke down tonight or came so late that folks were scrambling to get to the X30 to get them close to their homes by Forest Avenue.

We're supposedly getting some new express buses, but they need to put a rush on them because the current fleet on Staten Island is in terrible shape. :mad:

We don't have a monthly Unlimited Express Bus card, so I have get a weekly at $50.00, which means my monthly Express Bus expense is $200.00 - $250.00 depending on the number of weeks in the month. Okay, I realize it's a premium fare but we get sh*t service for it. The X30 should run until at least 19:30 to 20:00 and the X1 should run 24/7. :mad:

The real slap in the face is that they claim that they're adding service on lines like the X10 and the buses are either broken down, MIA or arriving 10 minutes early. Both Saturday and Monday I had to scramble to get out of my cab because the bus was already turning onto Schmidts Lane and Manor Rd 10 minutes early. Yesterday I called myself catching the 21:51 only to get there and see that apparently the bus was either MIA or came early, so that meant waiting for the next one for almost 45 minutes after having hauled @ss from Times Square to 41st and 5th with my heavy Whole Foods bag. :mad:

So yeah, raise the fare??? Let's take care of the basics first like making sure that the buses show up on time and stop arriving early or whenever they want to (esp. when there is no traffic) and let's make sure that buses are spaced properly so they're not bunching together. The last two X30s of late bunch up along with the X14s. Spread those buses out properly! :mad:

And don't get me started on the subway... Filthy filthy filthy... :mad: :tdown:

However, the overall attitude is that everyone is always struggling even when the economy was doing well, so there will never be a "right time" to raise it. You see I don't mind paying more for quality service, but many people don't and the system will never get better with that mentality.

You want to know why your Staten island MCIs are junk? Because your fellow neighbors on Staten Island treat them like junk!!!! Also, ur drivers drive those buses like they are driving their cars, into the ground!!

We got SI's raggedy ass MCIs a few years ago at Ulmer Park and gave up our 2700s to SI and lemme tell you, they are so upset at what they did! Those SI pieces of junk was in so bad of shape, they wouldn't run them when we had weekend service on the weekends! I went to SI to ride an express bus and I caught a former UP bus, and I was disgusted!!! The filth, the seats broken, the bus is raggedy, stuff that doesn't normally squeak was squeaking.....I was so disgusted!!! So before you defend ur precious Staten Island, know why your buses look like garbage!!! People are their own enemy sir! Remember that!

Also, as far as the buses showing up early...again, the drivers in SI think they are in a race!!! So its up to you to complain about it to MTA! If not, then just shut up and suck it up!!! Don't complain about service when you stay quiet about it!

How would you and other riders react to a $3 base fare and a $120 unlimited monthly metrocard? I feel that this is the best way for the (MTA) to gain needed revenue. A $3 flat fare and $120 for an entire month is VERY cheap compared to other transportation alternatives. Feel free to comment on if the MTA should implement these rates within the next year.

Maybe to you it's cheap but it's not to others.

Bring back my (W) train and expand service then come talk about a fare hike.

The (W) is not needed because there is a (Q) that goes to Astoria now.

I would support a $3 fare if it provided unlimited transfers for 2 hours.

24 Hours

/thread

huh?

Owning a car is definitely not expensive if you know what you are doing.

Cars can take you places easier then the subway/buses. I personally only take the subway/buses when I am going to the city. I rather not sit through multiple transfers going somewhere in Queens or Staten riding the subway/buses and would rather drive my car.

I mean $3 would be considered cheap since premium gas is $4.15 at my local station. If all the cars in NYC don't have a problem paying $3.40+ for gas, I don't see why $3 for a ride would shut down the transit or people would boycott.

Like said, if they ever boycott the transit just because of the $3 raise; the roads would be packed and/or people would be very late to work and what not.

Have you heard of parking, traffic, and auto repair and inspection.

I think that a fare hike would be good. $2.25 is nothing, and just raising it up by 75 cents would generate so much more money for the MTA and then maybe they'd be able to actually get stuff done.

As mentioned above, the express bus fare would probably go up also to around $7 or $8, which in my opinion is still a bargain. If I remember correctly the cost for the MTA to run express buses is more than the amount they get back in fares, so they either need to get rid of express buses completely or change it so that they're not losing money off of them.

The (MTA) gets enough money but they don't use it's money in the right way.

No, incorrect.

Might as well raise the fare a little extra to 4 dollars, because all of NYC can afford it!

Can I ask what drug you are on?

Epic thread, epic keep it up....

BTW the fare even at Three Bucks would STILL be the best bargain in the country, just saying..

I dont know about most of you but i visited and rode systems in Atlanta,Denver,Dallas,Houston, Honolulu,Las Vegas,Minneapolis Miami, Fort Lauderdale,Philadelphia,San Fransisco,San Diego,Tampa,Trenton and Washington DC.

None of these systems even come close with base fares and distance as well as operating times with New York City None..

I know its drama with this system but it beats a lot of places in this country...

Epic thread, epic keep it up....

BTW the fare even at Three Bucks would STILL be the best bargain in the country, just saying..

I dont know about most of you but i visited and rode systems in Atlanta,Denver,Dallas,Houston, Honolulu,Las Vegas,Minneapolis Miami, Fort Lauderdale,Philadelphia,San Fransisco,San Diego,Tampa,Trenton and Washington DC.

None of these systems even come close with base fares and distance as well as operating times with New York City None..

I know its drama with this system but it beats a lot of places in this country...

Well even before a fare hike don't the board of directors have to approve it?

I would think some of them say no unless the MTA was in a deeper s***hole...

You want to know why your Staten island MCIs are junk? Because your fellow neighbors on Staten Island treat them like junk!!!! Also, ur drivers drive those buses like they are driving their cars, into the ground!!

We got SI's raggedy ass MCIs a few years ago at Ulmer Park and gave up our 2700s to SI and lemme tell you, they are so upset at what they did! Those SI pieces of junk was in so bad of shape, they wouldn't run them when we had weekend service on the weekends! I went to SI to ride an express bus and I caught a former UP bus, and I was disgusted!!! The filth, the seats broken, the bus is raggedy, stuff that doesn't normally squeak was squeaking.....I was so disgusted!!! So before you defend ur precious Staten Island, know why your buses look like garbage!!! People are their own enemy sir! Remember that!

Also, as far as the buses showing up early...again, the drivers in SI think they are in a race!!! So its up to you to complain about it to MTA! If not, then just shut up and suck it up!!! Don't complain about service when you stay quiet about it!

You have no idea what you're talking about as far as me complaining. I am quite involved with transportation issues on Staten Island and I certainly don't have to prove anything to you of all people.

As far as the conditions of the MCIs goes, Ulmer Park isn't that much better either and believe me we're not wild about getting your junky MCIs either since all Castleton gets is hand-me-downs from other depots. When I was referring to Brooklyn's MCIs what I was really referring to Spring Creek who has excellent maintenance overall and are amongst the top 5 easily in terms of maintenance out of all of the depots. And let's not talk about bus swaps. You guys got 4300s and they don't look all that grand either, so before you go throwing stones at our depots, get your own backyard in order. B) P.S. I use the X27 and X28 too along with the BM buses so I know the deal over there too since I'm originally from Sheepshead Bay Brooklyn.

If anyone is tearing down the MCIs on Staten Island it's the folks in Port Richmond and Mariners' Harbor. Folks in my neck of the woods in West Brighton are civilized, hard working professional and we don't eat chicken wings and sh*t and leave bones and trash all over the place, so if it were up to me I would restrict express bus service from those two areas because aside from that the other express bus routes on Staten Island serve relatively affluent areas. Perhaps what they should do is build the new Castleton Depot elsewhere on Staten Island and move it out of Port Richmond all together. :cool:

The (W) will be needed when the (Q) goes to the first phase of the Second Avenue Subway when it's done in 2016.

Why are you bringing this up AGAIN!? They could just make a new letter...

We got the H,I,K,O,P,V,Y,X... It doesn't have to be the (W)

You have no idea what you're talking about as far as me complaining. I am quite involved with transportation issues on Staten Island and I certainly don't have to prove anything to you of all people.

As far as the conditions of the MCIs goes, Ulmer Park isn't that much better either and believe me we're not wild about getting your junky MCIs either since all Castleton gets is hand-me-downs from other depots. When I was referring to Brooklyn's MCIs what I was really referring to Spring Creek who has excellent maintenance overall and are amongst the top 5 easily in terms of maintenance out of all of the depots. And let's not talk about bus swaps. You guys got 4300s and they don't look all that grand either, so before you go throwing stones at our depots, get your own backyard in order. B) P.S. I use the X27 and X28 too along with the BM buses so I know the deal over there too since I'm originally from Sheepshead Bay Brooklyn.

If anyone is tearing down the MCIs on Staten Island it's the folks in Port Richmond and Mariners' Harbor. Folks in my neck of the woods in West Brighton are civilized, hard working professional and we don't eat chicken wings and sh*t and leave bones and trash all over the place, so if it were up to me I would restrict express bus service from those two areas because aside from that the other express bus routes on Staten Island serve relatively affluent areas. Perhaps what they should do is build the new Castleton Depot elsewhere on Staten Island and move it out of Port Richmond all together. :cool:

My point exactly!!!! Nobody asked you to prove anything to you nor are you required to! If your precious Mechanics in Staten Island was to get their acts together, then maybe the buses out there would be in much better shape than they are now!! We sent Most of our buses to SI in tip top shape, now look at em!! Looks like garbage!

I drove quite a few ex-SI units as of late and they are horrible!! The ONLY thing I can say the got is power, but thats about it!!! And as of recent, Ulmer Park has been falling off with their maintenance, yes, I admit it, but SI is well known for shoddy work on their buses!!! It took MTA bus and MABSTOA bosses to go out there and get things in order with the maintenance, which is the reason why the RTSs from Flatbush went out there!!! So, do ur research kid, cuz SI is horrible!

Ulmer Park is not a 100% depot, but they sure in the hell is better than the SI depots!!!

And BTW, the way you are talkin makes you sound just as bogus as the rest of them SI people who ride the express bus!!!

P.S. Where do you think those 4300s came from?! And they came from us looking the same way SI buses look....like GARBAGE!!!!!

i feel your pain ...... and the local buses fukin suck as well......from my house to the ferry it takes 30 mins and they timed it so that bus makes it there like a min. before the ferry leaves. So at night i always was missing the ferry by like no more then 5 mins. They then proceeded to change the schedule giving the bus 45 mins to get to the ferry and wouldnt you fukin know it the bus has never in 3 months since they changed it come close to schedule always a min. of 10 mins late and its always still a nail biter to get to the ferry. In the morning comin home i think they tweeked it also because the buses always used to leave before the damn ferry pulled in so it was useless taking an earlier ferry but lately its gotten better.

As for the express i sure as hell damn would prefer to take it every nite but thats $11 a day.....x 5 days x 4 weeks which is $220 a month vs 0$ so im in a pickle....if i had to pay i would just take the express every night into work but its basically convience vs costs. which if theres traffic on the BQE isnt convient to take !!

they aint gonna hike it because they make money on the fact its not a flat rate and im sure other reasons.

They should get more fukin money from the state which is why i think that Lockbox legistation is a good idea but still the state needs to stop takin fukin money from transit and pour some more money into it !. And yes it should go towards maintaince and new equipment ventures first, new tech. second and new capitol construction third

My point exactly!!!! Nobody asked you to prove anything to you nor are you required to! If your precious Mechanics in Staten Island was to get their acts together, then maybe the buses out there would be in much better shape than they are now!! We sent Most of our buses to SI in tip top shape, now look at em!! Looks like garbage!

I drove quite a few ex-SI units as of late and they are horrible!! The ONLY thing I can say the got is power, but thats about it!!! And as of recent, Ulmer Park has been falling off with their maintenance, yes, I admit it, but SI is well known for shoddy work on their buses!!! It took MTA bus and MABSTOA bosses to go out there and get things in order with the maintenance, which is the reason why the RTSs from Flatbush went out there!!! So, do ur research kid, cuz SI is horrible!

Ulmer Park is not a 100% depot, but they sure in the hell is better than the SI depots!!!

And BTW, the way you are talkin makes you sound just as bogus as the rest of them SI people who ride the express bus!!!

P.S. Where do you think those 4300s came from?! And they came from us looking the same way SI buses look....like GARBAGE!!!!!

LMAO... Hey we didn't have those 4300s first. Queens Village did and then we got some of them, so it wasn't like we got them brand new. Hand-me-downs as usual... As far as maintenance goes, if you were following my posts as much as you claim you do, you would know that I'm not fan of the maintenance out of SI either, but they have improved esp. compared to say 2005.

Like I said, Ulmer Park isn't one to talk either, so we're swapping garbage back and forth. Aside from that at least they had a bit of an excuse running overcapacity for many many years with just two depots and really no room to repair their fleet. Even with the opening of Charleston, they could still use another depot, because Meredith isn't a full depot and Castleton needs to be torn down and rehabbed and Yukon isn't exactly brand spanking new either.

And as far as me, there is nothing bogus. I just state things the way I see them and you're fine to disagree with them, just as I am with your comments.

Tell it like it is...

I'd put my own little mouthful in this but the risk of starting some stupid argument holds me back

Tell it like it is...

I'd put my own little mouthful in this but the risk of starting some stupid argument holds me back

Wait a minute... You mean you can't speak for yourself? I personally don't take this too seriously and I hope you certainly don't, so spill the beans. I'm a big boy. What's on your mind? B)

(MTA) New York is known for their unwise spending, so raising the fare so more money is wasted...I don't think so. I rather see some production first from this entity as a whole, instead of paying more for less and less service.

Quoted for emphasis....

Wait a minute... You mean you can't speak for yourself? I personally don't take this too seriously and I hope you certainly don't, so spill the beans. I'm a big boy. What's on your mind? B)

I can definitely speak for myself, sir, but I am going to be the mature individual here and keep my mouth shut for now and let those with experience in the system tell it like it is

I can definitely speak for myself, sir, but I am going to be the mature individual here and keep my mouth shut for now and let those with experience in the system tell it like it is.

I'll certainly applaud that. Well I'm about to take lunch in a bit. Hopefully no one blows a gasket in here. lol

Archived