Another fare hike might not be so bad

I don't support the fare hike either.

Lots of people are furious with all the bus and subway delays, broke down.

I think many folks want 1-Day Pass back.

If they increase fare, they have to paid separate fare for Long Island Bus.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LMAO... Hey we didn't have those 4300s first. Queens Village did and then we got some of them, so it wasn't like we got them brand new. Hand-me-downs as usual... As far as maintenance goes, if you were following my posts as much as you claim you do, you would know that I'm not fan of the maintenance out of SI either, but they have improved esp. compared to say 2005.

Like I said, Ulmer Park isn't one to talk either, so we're swapping garbage back and forth. Aside from that at least they had a bit of an excuse running overcapacity for many many years with just two depots and really no room to repair their fleet. Even with the opening of Charleston, they could still use another depot, because Meredith isn't a full depot and Castleton needs to be torn down and rehabbed and Yukon isn't exactly brand spanking new either.

And as far as me, there is nothing bogus. I just state things the way I see them and you're fine to disagree with them, just as I am with your comments.

First off, what garbage did we, Ulmer Park send to you? I would really like to know!!!

Second off, Okay, so the 4300s came to you from QV, which has an excellent maintenance record, after 5 months, because SI needs buses with less mileage, which is the reason why SI and UP swapped buses int he first place!!! I drove 4 4300s, and they all ride like garbage, the signs are cracked, drivers area is disgusting, and they came like that to UP from where else? SI!!!! There was 1 2100 from SI I was gonna drive but I couldnt because the AC compressor was no good, which was well known for that bus being it came from, where else?! SI!!!!! And the maintenance improved after 2005 only because Bosses from other areas had to come shut the other buses down and move loaners in to get the buses fixed, because they were that bad of shape!!!! And no, I do NOT follow your posts because honestly, its a waste of time and space with the nonsense you write!! Now I come in every so often to poke around, and I stay quiet, and you can ask ANYBODY that in here who knows me on a personal level! But when I see Bullcrap like this in here, I got no choice but to answer back to you, cuz you make no sense!!! Now, being that most likely you are NOT a driver, I suggest you do a lil more research on where these buses came from, because Ulmer Park (back then, not now...the maintenance has fallen off) has given SI EXCELLENT MCIs!!!! Now they look like they rolled over and died!!!! Okay I am done good day!

As we all know yes, the 4300s were hand me downs to SI/Brooklyn from Queens. They were very short lived in QV to the point that some never even got ads put on them during their tenure at QV.

When QV lost the 4300s, half went to UP, the other half to SI; THEN UP gave up its set to SI and THEN got them back. I hate to say it, but SI beat up those 4300s just like they beat up the 3200s that came over around the same time. Those 3200s haven't been the same since they came back to MTAB.

Unreal.

As we all know yes, the 4300s were hand me downs to SI/Brooklyn from Queens. They were very short lived in QV to the point that some never even got ads put on them during their tenure at QV.

When QV lost the 4300s, half went to UP, the other half to SI; THEN UP gave up its set to SI and THEN got them back. I hate to say it, but SI beat up those 4300s just like they beat up the 3200s that came over around the same time. Those 3200s haven't been the same since they came back to MTAB.

Unreal.

I'm typing on a Blackberry and eating lunch simultaneously, so pardon any typos. I agree that Castleton beat up the 3200s, no question about that, but at that time our MCIs were in bad shape mainly because the DOT wasn't repaving out on SI the way they should've been. Our local representatives have put monies aside to get more streets paved so that express buses and local buses don't take such a beating, so while some of it was SI's fault, a lot of the blame goes to the DOT.

Aside from that Charleston and Meredith still weren't open yet, so with Yukon and Castleton overcapacity, it is totally understandable to have some issues with the MCIs.

First off, what garbage did we, Ulmer Park send to you? I would really like to know!!!

Second off, Okay, so the 4300s came to you from QV, which has an excellent maintenance record, after 5 months, because SI needs buses with less mileage, which is the reason why SI and UP swapped buses int he first place!!! I drove 4 4300s, and they all ride like garbage, the signs are cracked, drivers area is disgusting, and they came like that to UP from where else? SI!!!! There was 1 2100 from SI I was gonna drive but I couldnt because the AC compressor was no good, which was well known for that bus being it came from, where else?! SI!!!!! And the maintenance improved after 2005 only because Bosses from other areas had to come shut the other buses down and move loaners in to get the buses fixed, because they were that bad of shape!!!! And no, I do NOT follow your posts because honestly, its a waste of time and space with the nonsense you write!! Now I come in every so often to poke around, and I stay quiet, and you can ask ANYBODY that in here who knows me on a personal level! But when I see Bullcrap like this in here, I got no choice but to answer back to you, cuz you make no sense!!! Now, being that most likely you are NOT a driver, I suggest you do a lil more research on where these buses came from, because Ulmer Park (back then, not now...the maintenance has fallen off) has given SI EXCELLENT MCIs!!!! Now they look like they rolled over and died!!!! Okay I am done good day!

I make perfect sense. As far as I'm concerned those 4300s should've come to us from the start and that's why I still consider them hand-me-downs even if some of them they weren't used in service by QV. BTW, since when did QV become experts in maintenance? Isn't this the same depot that is having problems with their local buses?? LOL

It's clear that if QV had them that the (MTA) had no plans of giving them to us. They knew we were overcapacity with just two depots bursting at the seams and yet they chose QV. Only when our MCIs were breaking down like crazy did we get some relief. Considering our situation I think poor maintenance should be understandable and the question is why did it take the (MTA) so long to get us additional depots to alleviate the load off of Yukon and CAS?

Oh and can you elaborate on why suddenly now maintenance has gone to sh*t at Ulmer Park? lol I have seen Ulmer Park buses dead heading to Castleton to be swopped when walking home from the X14 over on Clove Rd and Martling Ave by the SI Zoo and yeah some of them that we're getting from you are crap and this was a few years back. And since you guys have been taking such good care of your 4300s where are they? Haven't seen any in quite some time out of Ulmer Park. B)

P.S. It was nice to see an X38 roll in there at 44th and 5th walking back to my office from lunch. :cool:

Update: I saw a 4300 tonight on the X38 (bus #4319). It was in pristine condition with a nice cracked up display sign. I know I know... UP is so great with their buses. LOL!

I think that a fare hike would be good. $2.25 is nothing, and just raising it up by 75 cents would generate so much more money for the MTA and then maybe they'd be able to actually get stuff done.

As mentioned above, the express bus fare would probably go up also to around $7 or $8, which in my opinion is still a bargain. If I remember correctly the cost for the MTA to run express buses is more than the amount they get back in fares, so they either need to get rid of express buses completely or change it so that they're not losing money off of them.

wrong

Two more years and I'm done with NYC. I'm sick of this bullsh*t.

How would you and other riders react to a $3 base fare and a $120 unlimited monthly metrocard? I feel that this is the best way for the (MTA) to gain needed revenue. A $3 flat fare and $120 for an entire month is VERY cheap compared to other transportation alternatives. Feel free to comment on if the MTA should implement these rates within the next year.

i cant believe you actually said that.

not everyone makes six figures. there are many people who have to raise families with about $1100 or 1200 a month, some even less. just buying a metrocard alone now would cost $104, or roughly 10% of their money. and that's just on buying a metrocard; what about rent, food, clothes, paying the bills, and other expenses for living?

now you want to raise the fare to $3 and a monthly to $120??

for the cost of 2 monthly's at 120, i could buy myself a really nice bike and ride that to work instead. people's income will NOT rise along with the fare, leaving them with less money to themselves.

the cost of living in NYC is so high that some people just simply cannot afford it and have no choice but to MOVE OUT and find jobs and live elsewhere...raising the subway fares will only encourage more and more people to move out of the city.

the goal of the MTA should be to make transportation cheap and affordable to everyone by keeping fares as low as possible, no matter how broke they are. the MTA gets plenty of income, how they decide to waste it is their problem. the MTA is here to serve us, not the other way around.

That won't happen. Diamond signs only designate express service. Moving half of the (R) trains to Astoria will cause service delays on the IND Queens Boulevard Line. The only thing that would work is the (W), or a similar type service.

Not to get O/T, but Astoria doesn't need two train lines IMO. I've seen so many empty (Q) trains heading to Queens.

I make perfect sense. As far as I'm concerned those 4300s should've come to us from the start and that's why I still consider them hand-me-downs even if some of them they weren't used in service by QV. BTW, since when did QV become experts in maintenance? Isn't this the same depot that is having problems with their local buses?? LOL

It's clear that if QV had them that the (MTA) had no plans of giving them to us. They knew we were overcapacity with just two depots bursting at the seams and yet they chose QV. Only when our MCIs were breaking down like crazy did we get some relief. Considering our situation I think poor maintenance should be understandable and the question is why did it take the (MTA) so long to get us additional depots to alleviate the load off of Yukon and CAS?

Oh and can you elaborate on why suddenly now maintenance has gone to sh*t at Ulmer Park? lol I have seen Ulmer Park buses dead heading to Castleton to be swopped when walking home from the X14 over on Clove Rd and Martling Ave by the SI Zoo and yeah some of them that we're getting from you are crap and this was a few years back. And since you guys have been taking such good care of your 4300s where are they? Haven't seen any in quite some time out of Ulmer Park. :(

P.S. It was nice to see an X38 roll in there at 44th and 5th walking back to my office from lunch. :cool:

Update: I saw a 4300 tonight on the X38 (bus #4319). It was in pristine condition with a nice cracked up display sign. I know I know... UP is so great with their buses. LOL!

HAHA you so funny....Guess what, I had 4319 a few weeks ago with the same cracked up sign and guess where it came from like that......I won't even say it!! And yes, QV is NOW having issues with the local buses since they are on a "no maintenance" policy, since they are getting new buses, the older ones are not being fixed (don't ask me what the logic is in that, I STILL have no Idea). The Maintenance at Ulmer Park has slid downhill because of 2 things....1. Change of maintenance heads every 3-5 years. 2. THe mechanics are not getting overtime, which in turn made the buses fall downhill! The 4300s are running faithfully, as we only have 15 with 3 out of service! Need I say more? And I never said Ulmer Park was perfect, but they sure is better than out there!

And please, I would LOVE for you to elaborate on what you saw being swapped off from us to CAS that looked like garbage. It was probably one of the former ones going BACK to SI.

I can definitely speak for myself, sir, but I am going to be the mature individual here and keep my mouth shut for now and let those with experience in the system tell it like it is

Amen to that brother!!!! But you know what, its people like that who wonder why even waste time with them? I keep going cuz I know whats right and whats wrong and until its admitted, I will continue to keep going....this is a senseless argument and at this point this is fun to me!!! So by all means, join in whenever you like sir! LMAO

LOL, another thread that drifted into express buses...

Gonna be interesting when the Prevosts come! Esp considering that a SI depot and UP are soposed to get them.

As for the OP, I agree with the majority of this thread. No!

I'm sorry!! I just couldn't help the fact that he's dawgin everyone else but SI is the victim!!! I very, VERY rarely post here now and I normally just read the threads, and LMAO in some occasions, but this one I had to answer, especially since I DRIVE the MCIs!!!! And yes, It will be interesting to see the Prevosts cominto UP and SI.

Again, I apologize!

I could've sworn I posted on this thread the other day...

Well anyways I do support a fare hike. As it is now $2.25 is nothing, and an extra 75 cents per ride will help the MTA make so much money back.

As mentioned above, a fare hike would increase the express bus fare. Correct me if I'm wrong, but as it is right now don't most, if not all, express bus routes cost more to operate than the amount they collect in fares? If so then they either need to get rid of express buses completely or raise the fare so that it's actually profitable. $5.50 is nothing, and, if the MTA hadn't axed my express bus last year, I'd be willing to spend up to $10 a ride for that.

Amen to that brother!!!! But you know what, its people like that who wonder why even waste time with them? I keep going cuz I know whats right and whats wrong and until its admitted, I will continue to keep going....this is a senseless argument and at this point this is fun to me!!! So by all means, join in whenever you like sir! LMAO

Lol indeed!

HAHA you so funny....Guess what, I had 4319 a few weeks ago with the same cracked up sign and guess where it came from like that......I won't even say it!! And yes, QV is NOW having issues with the local buses since they are on a "no maintenance" policy, since they are getting new buses, the older ones are not being fixed (don't ask me what the logic is in that, I STILL have no Idea). The Maintenance at Ulmer Park has slid downhill because of 2 things....1. Change of maintenance heads every 3-5 years. 2. THe mechanics are not getting overtime, which in turn made the buses fall downhill! The 4300s are running faithfully, as we only have 15 with 3 out of service! Need I say more? And I never said Ulmer Park was perfect, but they sure is better than out there!

And please, I would LOVE for you to elaborate on what you saw being swapped off from us to CAS that looked like garbage. It was probably one of the former ones going BACK to SI.

Can't remember specifically as this was a few years back but it was an Ulmer Park MCI deadheading down Clove Rd past Martling Ave by the SI Zoo near to where I live at as I was walking home from the X14. It was either a 27XX or 28XX and it looked like the 4319 I saw today... F*cked up. Even if that 4319 came from Yukon (they're the ones that would've had it if you guys didn't get it directly from QV originally), I know you've guys have had it long enough to fix it up, so that cracked up display sign should've been fixed by now. lol Waiting to hear your grand explanation for that one. If I recall correctly you guys have quite a few 4300s with broken destination signs too. They work but they're on a slant. LOL

Oh and as far as Staten Island being the victim let me correct you. We're better known as the city's stepchild. :(

I think that a fare hike would be good. $2.25 is nothing, and just raising it up by 75 cents would generate so much more money for the MTA and then maybe they'd be able to actually get stuff done.

As mentioned above, the express bus fare would probably go up also to around $7 or $8, which in my opinion is still a bargain. If I remember correctly the cost for the MTA to run express buses is more than the amount they get back in fares, so they either need to get rid of express buses completely or change it so that they're not losing money off of them.

err then if express bus fare goes that high all the rtes that are walking distance from LIRR and MNRR will become empty QM3 would carry air at a $7 fare that fare would murder the BXM3 and slaughter the BXM11. A higher fare than metro-north would make the X64 literally carry air!!!!!!! The QM21 would lose the ridership it has left to the LIRR if fares went that high along with X63 would become like the X25 if those fares would take effect.

Cocaine is a hell of a drug....
LMAO WOW

Not to get O/T, but Astoria doesn't need two train lines IMO. I've seen so many empty (Q) trains heading to Queens.
ur right

Lol, it's just an excuse for him to talk about the SAS again. It's the same as how threads lately have turned into 'express bus' threads.

sadly it's true everything has degraded into express bus I would only accept a fare hike if the speed of the buses were to extremely improve. With busways to keep buses out of traffic. before any fares are hiked lets hike the fines first and improve service and regional connectivity.

:confused:How did a fare hike thread, in the subway forum become episode 346 of the "Days of Express bus Runs?

I have an idea of how it started....*cough*

Unfortunately, its been happening to EVERY thread as of late....

Archived