Brooklyn City Councilman Charles Barron, assemblywoman wife may have improperly used taxpayer money

Shortline Bus

Brooklyn City Councilman Charles Barron, assemblywoman wife may have improperly used taxpayer money

By Tina Moore

NY Daily News Staff Writer

July 6, 2011

"Brooklyn City Councilman Charles Barron and his assemblywoman wife have pumped $350,000 in taxpayer money into a nonprofit run by a longtime political aide, records show.

Charles and Inez Barron steered the money to Man Up! Inc., a group that helps inmates reenter society, and gave campaign funds to its affiliate, Hip Hop Stand Up and Vote.

Both are run by Barron's longtime friend and sometime campaign worker Andre Mitchell, records show.

Mitchell was paid as a consultant and manager in Charles Barron's 2005 and 2009 campaigns. Barron's campaign headquarters shared an address with Hip Hop Stand Up and Vote, and a Man Up! board member and an employee worked on Barron's campaigns.

Inez Barron paid Hip Hop Stand Up a small fee for work on Election Day 2008.

The arrangement raises questions about whether the Barrons improperly used taxpayer money to reward those who did campaign work for them.

Disgraced Queens state Sen. Hiram Monserrate was indicted last year on charges of steering public money to a nonprofit that helped run his campaigns.

Charles Barron was offended by any suggestion he steered money to Man Up! in exchange for campaign work.

"I'm very, very proud of the young people in my district, funding their programs and involving them in the electoral process," Barron said.

He also noted that Hip Hop Stand Up and Vote got no Council funding - and insisted anyone paid for working on his campaign did so on their own time.

In an interview, Mitchell said Hip Hop and Man Up! didn't do any campaigning."

For More http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/2011/07/06/2011-07-06_city_cash_hiphops_to_pol_pals_questions_on_barrons__tax_money.html

Is this the same guy that loves to play the race card? If this is him, he was just on TV yesterday talking about how some black folks were beaten up by the cops and how the D.A. needs to "get his @ss on the ball" because black people elected him. What kind of crap is that to say? The D.A. works for everybody buddy. Guys like this that thrive off of inciting folks need to be pushed out of office. :tdown:

I'm sure his comeback to this latest accusation will be that the white man is out to frame him. B) Yeah everyone is out to get him. The only problem is that he doesn't realize that he's his own enemy.

I'm also wondering what he plans to do about his threats in the link below??

http://www.dnainfo.com/20110705/lower-east-side-east-village/rappers-rally-against-police-brutality-at-lower-east-side-club-melee

By Tina Moore

NY Daily News Staff Writer

July 6, 2011

"Brooklyn City Councilman Charles Barron and his assemblywoman wife have pumped $350,000 in taxpayer money into a nonprofit run by a longtime political aide, records show.

Charles and Inez Barron steered the money to Man Up! Inc., a group that helps inmates reenter society, and gave campaign funds to its affiliate, Hip Hop Stand Up and Vote.

Both are run by Barron's longtime friend and sometime campaign worker Andre Mitchell, records show.

Mitchell was paid as a consultant and manager in Charles Barron's 2005 and 2009 campaigns. Barron's campaign headquarters shared an address with Hip Hop Stand Up and Vote, and a Man Up! board member and an employee worked on Barron's campaigns.

Inez Barron paid Hip Hop Stand Up a small fee for work on Election Day 2008.

The arrangement raises questions about whether the Barrons improperly used taxpayer money to reward those who did campaign work for them.

Disgraced Queens state Sen. Hiram Monserrate was indicted last year on charges of steering public money to a nonprofit that helped run his campaigns.

Charles Barron was offended by any suggestion he steered money to Man Up! in exchange for campaign work.

"I'm very, very proud of the young people in my district, funding their programs and involving them in the electoral process," Barron said.

He also noted that Hip Hop Stand Up and Vote got no Council funding - and insisted anyone paid for working on his campaign did so on their own time.

In an interview, Mitchell said Hip Hop and Man Up! didn't do any campaigning."

For More http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/2011/07/06/2011-07-06_city_cash_hiphops_to_pol_pals_questions_on_barrons__tax_money.html

Another ******* politician eats his ****. I am no fan of this guy. He is a race-baiting *******.

I didn't know taxpayer money could be used improperly... and here I was thinkin that all our dollars all go towards makin the city a better place to live for each & every taxpayer within it.....

boy, did I just learn a life lesson....

The best thing about this is that in two more years, Charles Barron will not be able to run for City Council due to term limits.

However, the downside is that his wife Inez doesn't have to worry about term limits in the State Assembly. But she does have to worry about potential redrawing of her East New York/Spring Creek district (the 40th to be exact) as more West Indians are moving to nearby Canarsie and Hispanics dominate nearby Cypress Hills. It might be a good chance she might end up in the same district as fellow embattled Assemblyman William Boyland, Jr. of Brownsville.

Archived