'USA only' store does a booming biz

Via Garibaldi 8

"They're 100 percent American-made, every dang product.

A hardworking upstate welder got so fed up with losing work to overseas competition and being forced to lay off his own relatives that he decided to forge a new business -- a sprawling, Walmart-style store that peddles products entirely made in America.

Store owner Mark Andol says his proudly named Made in America business is defying hard economic times and thriving in Elma, near Buffalo. It's become a must-see for the tour-bus hordes heading to and from Niagara Falls."

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/got_it_made_in_america_zUP3YTllFreaBYJCg11GgN#ixzz1RKxARhDl'>http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/got_it_made_in_america_zUP3YTllFreaBYJCg11GgN#ixzz1RKxARhDl

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/got_it_made_in_america_zUP3YTllFreaBYJCg11GgN

He even talks about opening a store in NYC. That would be awesome!

Take that Walmart!! lol B)

Totally agreed. The last thing we need is a Wal-Mart in NYC. Good to see this guy is doing the right thing and not outsourcing his business.

He even talks about opening a store in NYC. That would be awesome!

Totally agreed. The last thing we need is a Wal-Mart in NYC. Good to see this guy is doing the right thing and not outsourcing his business.

That's what I said. I bucked the trend years ago back in college and said f*ck it. I'm going to have to start researching online to find American products. Before I was relying heavily on Made in Italy or Made in Germany products. Now I know exactly where to go and luckily enough for me Whole Foods carries a lot of "MADE IN USA" products as well. :cool:

Clothing is becoming easier too. I get all of my t-shirts and weekend shirts are American made as well as my jeans. My long sleeve shirts are still from Italy though, but hey I have a lot more American clothing than I did just a few years back. True Religion and several other high end places carry 100% Made in USA jeans, so July 4th just about everything I was wearing was Made in USA. :cool:

Of course some things I still get from Japan or Western Europe (Italy, Germany, Switzerland, etc.) but it's worth it quality wise. That garbage from China that people love buying, you don't know what you're getting. :eek:

Walmart recently made a $4 million dollar donation to the Summer Youth Program here in NYC. Now they're going to try to buy their way in. :mad:

http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stories/142278/walmart-donates--4m-to-city-youth-jobs-program

Walmart recently made a $4 million dollar donation to the Summer Youth Program here in NYC. Now they're going to try to buy their way in. :mad:

http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stories/142278/walmart-donates--4m-to-city-youth-jobs-program

LOL ''Thanks for the money Walmart, your still not going in though''.

That's what I said. I bucked the trend years ago back in college and said f*ck it. I'm going to have to start researching online to find American products. Before I was relying heavily on Made in Italy or Made in Germany products. Now I know exactly where to go and luckily enough for me Whole Foods carries a lot of "MADE IN USA" products as well. :cool:

Clothing is becoming easier too. I get all of my t-shirts and weekend shirts are American made as well as my jeans. My long sleeve shirts are still from Italy though, but hey I have a lot more American clothing than I did just a few years back. True Religion and several other high end places carry 100% Made in USA jeans, so July 4th just about everything I was wearing was Made in USA. :cool:

Of course some things I still get from Japan or Western Europe (Italy, Germany, Switzerland, etc.) but it's worth it quality wise. That garbage from China that people love buying, you don't know what you're getting. :eek:

This is the one time I'm going to disagree with you. Walmart provides inexpensive food and clothing for low-income people. A Walmart in East New York would create many jobs. Most of the people who shop at the Valley Stream Walmart are from the city.

This is the one time I'm going to disagree with you. Walmart provides inexpensive food and clothing for low-income people. A Walmart in East New York would create many jobs. Most of the people who shop at the Valley Stream Walmart are from the city.

Two things you forgot to add. They provide inexpensive food and clothing from China for low income people, which may seem like it's helping low income folks on the surface, but it isn't. It's just further eroding the American economy and American wages because those low income people are spending monies that is not benefiting the American economy but the Chinese one.

Second, all of the high paying American jobs are being EXPORTED overseas, which leaves what?? Low paying jobs like the ones that Walmart prodives so many of. With that said, how does one pull oneself out of poverty working at Walmart, when even the folks at the management level earn relatively low salaries? Walmart pushes this "team player" BS when all they're really trying to push is low wages and high profits for Walmart. They pressure their vendors to go overseas by bullying them into providing their goods at cut throat prices so that even American companies that want to do business here in the U.S. can't thanks to Walmart.

Furthermore, they provide goods at low prices and in the process they eliminate all of the competition around them. I know this first hand because when I lived up by Montréal, we had a Walmart that I used to frequent as a college student. When I arrived in 1999 at college as a naïve 17 year old and I thought Walmart was great. I'd pick up my grocery items and thought I was saving. Then within a year or two I noticed that one of the stores in the plaza (a Shop Rite) basically closed down. You may say well hey that's just capitalism, but basically that Shop Rite closing down meant that if Walmart didn't have what I needed that I was basically sh*t out of luck because the next closest supermarket was a ways away. So in sum, yeah, Walmart isn't all that it is cracked up to be and they certainly are not for the American economy nor the American worker.

So in sum, the cost of living continues to rise for the American American, but their salary isn't thanks to companies like Walmart.

Anyone who buys clothes at Wal*Mart is brain dead.

Two things you forgot to add. They provide inexpensive food and clothing from China for low income people, which may seem like it's helping low income folks on the surface, but it isn't. It's just further eroding the American economy because those low income people are spending monies that is not benefiting the American economy but the Chinese one.

Second, the jobs that Walmart is creating are low income ones, so how does one pull itself out of poverty working at Walmart, when even the folks at the management level earn relatively low salaries? Walmart pushes this team BS when all they're really trying to push is low wages and high profits for Walmart. They pressure their vendors to go overseas by bullying them into providing their goods at cut throat prices so that even companies that want to do business here in the U.S. can't thanks to Walmart.

They provide goods at low prices and in the process they eliminate all of the competition around them. I know this first hand because when I lived up by Montréal, we had a Walmart that I used to frequent as a college student. When I arrived in 1999 at college as a naïve 17 year old and I thought Walmart was great. I'd pick up my grocery items and thought I was saving. Then within a year or two I noticed that one of the stores in the plaza (a Shop Rite) basically closed down. You may say well hey that's just capitalism, but basically that Shop Rite closing down meant that if Walmart didn't have what I needed that I was basically sh*t out of luck because the next closest supermarket was a ways away. So in sum, yeah, Walmart isn't all that it is cracked up to be and they certainly are not for the American economy or the American worker.

A low income job is better than NO job. That's what people don't understand. And I really don't care about the trickle down effect of economics. I care about buying the cheapest product available. And many of these mom and pop stores refuse to hire minorities.

A low income job is better than NO job. That's what people don't understand. And I really don't care about the trickle down effect of economics. I care about buying the cheapest product available. And many of these mom and pop stores refuse to hire minorities.

Really? So you're fine working at Walmart after spending years in law school right? That's basically what will happen if we keep exporting jobs overseas. But you're the typical uneducated American consumer. "I just want the product as cheap as possible and I don't care about the repercussions." When people can't find jobs in this economy they say things are so bad, but they don't think about the fact they're buying all of this garbage from China and how that is destroying American jobs and wages.

It would be interesting to analyze how much salaries have went down for middle class Americans since the huge push by greedy American corporations like Walmart to get low prices and ship out American jobs. This isn't just the corporations' fault either because it is the typical American consumer that says I WANT IT CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP and they b*tch and moan about everything being so expensive because they don't earn much. Geez, I wonder why they don't earn much? :(

But yeah, that's another thing. You say that a low income job is better than NO job at all. Americans have become more and more complacent with settling for less. "I'd rather be working at a sh*tty low wage job with sh*tty benefits" than pay more for American goods so that I can earn more.

I didn't say that I want to work at Walmart. I said that the hundreds of people who desperately crowd Work Force 1 everyday would gladly work there, but liberal elitists who think they know everything say that Walmart is so evil. They don't even give people the choice to shop there.

I didn't say that I want to work at Walmart. I said that the hundreds of people who desperately crowd Work Force 1 everyday would gladly work there, but liberal elitists who think they know everything say that Walmart is so evil. They don't even give people the choice to shop there.

Well I'm certainly not a liberal (Independent who is fiscally conservative) :cool:. What do you think has been going on all of this time to allow Walmart to become a #1 enemy? If they weren't allowed to open shop then they wouldn't be as big as they are now, now would they?

As far as you working at Walmart, I didn't say anything about wanting to. If things keep going the way they are, you won't have much of a choice. That's not meant to be an insult either. The point I'm making is where do you continue to find high paying jobs for educated college folks if all of them are exported to places like China???? Also, why are you so convinced that your shopping habits have nothing to do with the American economy and lost high paying jobs?? Perhaps that's part of the problem. You don't see the connection between your shopping habits and that effects the economy. The U.S. economy is a consumer based one and if all we're doing is buying Chinese products that certainly does not benefit us in the long run. You can argue that we pay less, but if there are no jobs here, that won't make much of a difference.

Of course our economy is far more complex than us just buying American products, but the fact that we are exporting so many American jobs has certainly contributed to the stagnant job situation here. You can't just keep exporting jobs and not creating any because at some point supply will outweigh demand and that has certainly happened here in the U.S. Folks really need to wisen up.

the soles of my shoe peeled off - oh s***, they adhesive....

the tv turns to channel 7 when I press 5.... the number 4 appears in the corner

my drawers disintegrated in the wash....

my toothpaste tastes like iridium... now I'm 22 with dentures

just got through feedin the dog - poor thing's been runnin around in circles for half an hour already...

just lost my job too...

company up & outsourced to Mumbai India - so much for the American dream....

Thanks Wal-mart :tup:

the soles of my shoe peeled off - oh s***, they adhesive....

the tv turns to channel 7 when I press 5.... the number 4 appears in the corner

my drawers disintegrated in the wash....

my toothpaste tastes like iridium... now I'm 22 with dentures

just got through feedin the dog - poor thing's been runnin around in circles for half an hour already...

just lost my job too...

company up & outsourced to Mumbai India - so much for the American dream....

Thanks Wal-mart :tup:

LMAO... Funny but true. Many states rely heavily on American manufacturing and when those companies close up, there is basically NOTHING there. No jobs to speak of. These people have to either stay there and live in extreme poverty or pick up and go elsewhere in hope of finding work. People wonder why taxes are so high here in NYC. NYC decided to make tourism and Wall St the main tax vehicles, so with no manufacturing base there isn't much to tax here, hence why people are leaving in droves. Who in the hell can afford to live in NYC and work at Walmart?? I mean seriously for what they pay folks would be better off on welfare.

1. Walmart pays you enough to not qualify for public assistance but isn't enough to live stable unless you live in the projects and I know people that would love to GET OUT of the projects

2. No one in their right mind would dare buy clothing from Walmart, trust me, it's not worth it

3. My short time there has led to me developing a deep hatred for the company- believe me when I say almost everyone I worked with worked a second job be it full-time or part time, it's definitely not worth the trouble

@SoSpectacular: One of my professors actually worked at a WalMart in Arkansas for a short time. Needless to say, he said it sucked (but rather sarcastically cutely), with a horrifically low salary and a dictatorial mentality. These hellhole experiences I've heard has also left me with a bad taste in my mouth, and it's a damn shame the Supreme Court ruled in favor of them in the WalMart-women employee suit.

About Made in America, I hope they DO make it here. This shop tends to have a patriotic pride, and that attracts a lot of Americans who need to buy a good quality, AMERICAN-made product. Anything to keep ShitMart out of this city!

Nope.

That's just an ignorant and short-sighted comment. I think you mean well, but you're not getting the big picture here. When you do, re-comment. Because honestly, if you want to live in a one-dimensional fantasyland where you ignore the effects and implications of actions, be my guest. But to act like you're the populist here, the one fighting for low-income jobs?

But here's what I find funny though. He mentions lots of "jobs", but he doesn't mention that they're low wage jobs. :eek:

People are missing the point. A low wage job is better than NO job. A guy from the projects in East New York won't have the qualifications to work on Wall Street. However, if he worked at Walmart then he could at least feed his family. Let Walmart open and if it's so bad then people won't shop there. Only bleeding heart liberals believe in this "We know what's best for you" mentality. The people who shop at Walmart in Valley Stream are mostly minorities. That store is always packed.

People are missing the point. A low wage job is better than NO job. A guy from the projects in East New York won't have the qualifications to work on Wall Street. However, if he worked at Walmart then he could at least feed his family. Let Walmart open and if it's so bad then people won't shop there. Only bleeding heart liberals believe in this "We know what's best for you" mentality. The people who shop at Walmart in Valley Stream are mostly minorities. That store is always packed.

Uh, that is not correct. Walmart doesn't pay enough to even do that. Clearly you're not aware of what Walmart workers earn.

"they're 100 percent american-made, every dang product.

A hardworking upstate welder got so fed up with losing work to overseas competition and being forced to lay off his own relatives that he decided to forge a new business -- a sprawling, walmart-style store that peddles products entirely made in america.

Store owner mark andol says his proudly named made in america business is defying hard economic times and thriving in elma, near buffalo. It's become a must-see for the tour-bus hordes heading to and from niagara falls."

read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/got_it_made_in_america_zup3ytllfreabyjcg11ggn#ixzz1rkxarhdl'>http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/got_it_made_in_america_zup3ytllfreabyjcg11ggn#ixzz1rkxarhdl

read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/got_it_made_in_america_zup3ytllfreabyjcg11ggn

excellent

Actually, no, it's not. A low income job is NOT better than no job.

Unemployment benefits are based off the person's last pay. Taking a very low paying (minimum wage Walmart) job can actually be less than the person would receive from unemployment. If they take the job, they no longer qualify for unemployment benefits.

Therefore there is incentive for them to remain on the public tit.

And secondly, low wage jobs drive down the cost of labor for ALL of us as Americans. Not just walmart workers. The prevalence of low wage jobs devalues labor and allows corporations to reduce pay and increase profiteering (more so than already). Then they can pay their executives huge salaries to be jerkin their gurkin on their private yachts and outsourcing production jobs to china where who the hell cares what hazardous chemicals are used since you can't sue them anyway (well you can try but it falls outside US jurisdiction so good luck getting paid, consumers). and walmart just pockets the money, shrugs, says "that's business" and gets back to spooging all over their luxury cars.

Don't even try to bring the race card into it...simply put, no REAL American should let those corporate ass holes get away with the above.

*smh*.... this female logic you continue to lace this board with....

ah serve me up a cello why don't you.....

A low income job is better than no job? really..... I'd rather be unemployed & looking for gainful employment with a moderate to high salary, than bustin my ass for 5, 10+ years makin minimum or otherwise a low wage.... You immediately run to the worst case scenario to make a point.... your average dude in the projects (thugs & hoods BS aside) aint yearning to work for low wages either... of the project cats that are employed somewhere, you make it sound like all these mahf***** is workin at some retail store... talk about judging a book by its cover.....

The people that shop along 5th av shop along there b/c they have the money to do so; the lesser off don't.... Yeah the people that shop @ walmart are mostly the lesser off - but do you think for a second Mr. Snob Q Moneybags the first, the II, III, IV, V would be caught dead in a walmart? It's not that he doesn't have the money... he has a reputation to maintain

Qualifications? yeah, as if every project nzzzzz is stupid & uneducated.... I have you know that even if they had a bunch of degrees & references, they still wouldn't wanna work on wall street..... way to show your colors here dude....

I was gonna make that same point about unemployment.... and that most often is the case; where you end up pocketing more cuttin an unemployment check, than you would workin at a place like walmart....

Just b/c walmart's are always packed means nothin to me.... the local chinese store round here's always packed too... does that mean (americanized) chinese food is good for your health?

Archived