'USA only' store does a booming biz

Via Garibaldi 8

People are missing the point. A low wage job is better than NO job. A guy from the projects in East New York won't have the qualifications to work on Wall Street. However, if he worked at Walmart then he could at least feed his family. Let Walmart open and if it's so bad then people won't shop there. Only bleeding heart liberals believe in this "We know what's best for you" mentality. The people who shop at Walmart in Valley Stream are mostly minorities. That store is always packed.

As others have said before, people don't shop/work at Walmart or Duane Reade or CVS because they want to, but because they have to. I'm sure one can make an argument that low wages are better than no wages, but that kind of thinking is very dangerous since a lot of retail places do nothing but perpetuate poverty by paying their workers very low wages and selling products that put Americans out of work (Read: Made in China). At the end of the day its a no win situation except for the CEOs of these companies.

And god bless this patriot for what he's doing. Cant wait until his store comes into the city.

A low-income job better than no job??? Okay I just got up and I'm having breakfast and I almost choked on my food when I read that statement, do you want me to die from laughter???

That has to be one of the most terrible assessments I've ever come across. Don't make it out that I'm bias against your (FG) posts because I give you appropriate credit where it's due, but in this case, you are INCORRECT.

A lot of people would not want to have a low-income job, but they put themselves in that situation by not pursuing any form of higher education. For instance, I recently got a job at a new clothing store that opened in the SI Mall and based from what the managers learned about me when I took an assessment survey, they said based on my answers I have knowledge of what it takes to be assistant manager or have a role of any higher-up position in a company. A lot of jobs offer opportunity for growth, but I highly doubt Wal-Mart is one of those stores, especially when they offer pay below minimum wage.

When you buy at Wal-Mart, you're basically saying you support the outsourcing of jobs, in which the people who make our clothes overseas are treated like shit and getting crummy pay just so we can have comfort. No fair trade agreement there, and it's sickening. They don't have unions to protect them and ensure that they get higher wages and work in a safe environment. We really don't think about these things when we ring up our products at the cashier.

I'm behind this man 100% and I can't wait for his store to come to New York City. We need more quality American-made products and goods in AMERICA, not some cheaply-made outsourced knockoffs.

Okay let's see the statistics.

If you work at Wal-Mart you get paid minimum wage ($7 an hour), no overtime, and no health benefits.

I know stores that pay higher then that. I know local stores that pays you $15 dollars an hour, allow overtime, and health benefits. If I want I can make twice the amount of money, and qualify for more things then a Wal-Mart employee. You think I would work long and hard just to get paid $7 an hour ($5 an hour in some states). I would want to get help if I am sick, and I would like to work overtime to get some extra money, but Wal-Mart doesn't do that for their employees. Wal-Mart isn't a good thing and would only harm NYC. Their goods aren't American made, and doesn't protect American workers and employees. By buying goods from other nations we harm our own nation.

Now if we can get an all-American rail car Manufacturer manufacturing trains fro the (MTA).We haven't had a steady rail car manufacturer since Morrison-Knudsen folded in 1996!!.Im all for this.Sheesh even the Playstation 3 is made in China.Japan need to come out with a Made In Japan store.

If you work at Wal-Mart you get paid minimum wage ($7 an hour), no overtime, and no health benefits.

Thank you Roadcruiser...

Thumbs up if you're actively seeking a job with no type of health benefits :tdown:

Have that flower pot over in aisle 23, 6th row fall on top of your head.... I feel sorry for you... no workers comp. for you... no victorious lawsuit for you... Wile E Coyote would be laughin at that azz right now - even that mahf**** get his shit from ACME

walmart... lmfao....

---------

Oh, and by the way... I never stated in my last post what I think of a Made in America type store....

I am in FULL support of Mr. Mark Andol... I would go as far as to offer to shake his hand for havin the GUTS to take on these corporations....

Have his store open up in NYC, and I swear to god I won't step foot in a rite aid (and I live about 2 blocks away from one), duane reade, cvs, family dollar, the bazillion 99 cent stores plaguing urban neighborhoods, NONE of em.... Never been to a target, a walmart, or a k-mart, and I don't plan on doin so either.

Now if we can get an all-American rail car Manufacturer manufacturing trains fro the (MTA).We haven't had a steady rail car manufacturer since Morrison-Knudsen folded in 1996!!.Im all for this.Sheesh even the Playstation 3 is made in China.Japan need to come out with a Made In Japan store.

lol... No, they don't because I bet those Playstation 3's that sell in Japan are probably "Made in Japan". The Japanese would have a fit if they started selling tons of Made in China stuff in Japan. They are very much like me... Strong protectionists.

The problem here in the States is #1, most folks aren't educated when it comes to shopping. They're not going to go out of their way to look for American made products and most importantly a lot of them want it CHEAP or rather DIRT CHEAP. Americans have been screaming for cheap prices for years and the manufacturers have been listening and saying okay, they want it cheap, so we'll make it in China then. Other countries however are well aware of the dangers of exporting manufacturing jobs and thus they are more vocal about buying the cheaper "Made in China" products and so they have protectionist laws in place to protect jobs.

Until we can get out this cheap craze and start demanding more "Made in USA" products this outsourcing will continue to happen. The other day (on July 4th of all days) a cabbie was complaining to me about how we don't make anything anymore and I told him that we do, but you have to look for it. Then I proceeded to tell him that most of what I was wearing was all "Made in the USA" (t-shirt, jeans, boxers and socks). The only thing that wasn't was my weekend shoes which were "Made in Switzerland" and my belt which was "Made in Spain".

Now I will admit that some American products that I buy are certainly more expensive than the "imported" stuff from China and the rest of the 3rd world countries, but I look at it is an investment. I get my American made t-shirts and short sleeve shirts for $20.00 - $32.00, but they last a long time in comparison to say the "Made in China" t-shirts that's maybe $5.00 or whatever they charge. Other American products are far more expensive like American made jeans, but now you have several brands making jeans again here in the U.S. with 100% American materials. Just a few years back this wasn't possible and I would buy jeans from Italy.

I personally think that "Made in USA" is making a comeback again because people are realizing that a country, no matter how big cannot export all of its manufacturing because a strong country needs to make things. I often support small, up and coming American companies and I'll take the time to personally write them and thank them for their commitment to making American products and creating American jobs.

Also, American products around the world are known for its quality and even with the outsourcing of American manufacturing jobs, folks still know that "Made in USA" stands for quality with most products. Now more and more folks are willing to pay a bit more for the American made product, but the question is how many more folks will be willing to do this?

Here's an interesting video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L5K07NvNQQ&feature=youtu.be

People are missing the point. A low wage job is better than NO job. A guy from the projects in East New York won't have the qualifications to work on Wall Street. However, if he worked at Walmart then he could at least feed his family. Let Walmart open and if it's so bad then people won't shop there. Only bleeding heart liberals believe in this "We know what's best for you" mentality. The people who shop at Walmart in Valley Stream are mostly minorities. That store is always packed.

What point is there to miss? Look, put yourself in the shoes of someone who's probably working the second or third shift and then you'll realize what we're all trying to say.

Actually, no, it's not. A low income job is NOT better than no job.

Unemployment benefits are based off the person's last pay. Taking a very low paying (minimum wage Walmart) job can actually be less than the person would receive from unemployment. If they take the job, they no longer qualify for unemployment benefits.

Therefore there is incentive for them to remain on the public tit.

And secondly, low wage jobs drive down the cost of labor for ALL of us as Americans. Not just walmart workers. The prevalence of low wage jobs devalues labor and allows corporations to reduce pay and increase profiteering (more so than already). Then they can pay their executives huge salaries to be jerkin their gurkin on their private yachts and outsourcing production jobs to china where who the hell cares what hazardous chemicals are used since you can't sue them anyway (well you can try but it falls outside US jurisdiction so good luck getting paid, consumers). and walmart just pockets the money, shrugs, says "that's business" and gets back to spooging all over their luxury cars.

Don't even try to bring the race card into it...simply put, no REAL American should let those corporate ass holes get away with the above.

All of the people who desperately come to Workforce 1 every single day would beg for a job at Walmart. And maybe it's merely a facade, but whenever I go to Walmart, the workers look happy. Yes, the store is dingy and the line is long, but it does not look like a dungeon full of indentured servants

*smh*.... this female logic you continue to lace this board with....

ah serve me up a cello why don't you.....

A low income job is better than no job? really..... I'd rather be unemployed & looking for gainful employment with a moderate to high salary, than bustin my ass for 5, 10+ years makin minimum or otherwise a low wage.... You immediately run to the worst case scenario to make a point.... your average dude in the projects (thugs & hoods BS aside) aint yearning to work for low wages either... of the project cats that are employed somewhere, you make it sound like all these mahf***** is workin at some retail store... talk about judging a book by its cover.....

The people that shop along 5th av shop along there b/c they have the money to do so; the lesser off don't.... Yeah the people that shop @ walmart are mostly the lesser off - but do you think for a second Mr. Snob Q Moneybags the first, the II, III, IV, V would be caught dead in a walmart? It's not that he doesn't have the money... he has a reputation to maintain

Qualifications? yeah, as if every project nzzzzz is stupid & uneducated.... I have you know that even if they had a bunch of degrees & references, they still wouldn't wanna work on wall street..... way to show your colors here dude....

I was gonna make that same point about unemployment.... and that most often is the case; where you end up pocketing more cuttin an unemployment check, than you would workin at a place like walmart....

Just b/c walmart's are always packed means nothin to me.... the local chinese store round here's always packed too... does that mean (americanized) chinese food is good for your health?

Again, only a liberal elitist would think that he can decide what's best for other people. Do you honestly think that the average Walmart patron cares about GDP, Keynesian economics, or any of that other crap? The West Indian single mom with 3 kids simply wants to buy Eggo Waffles for the cheapest price. She couldn't give a rat's @ss about China. And as for the projects, a Walmart job is not the ideal job, but I'd rather see someone from the projects working at Walmart than selling weed. In order to get these ideal jobs, you have to start at the bottom. Many of my law school classmates worked in retail prior to attending law school.

A low-income job better than no job??? Okay I just got up and I'm having breakfast and I almost choked on my food when I read that statement, do you want me to die from laughter???

That has to be one of the most terrible assessments I've ever come across. Don't make it out that I'm bias against your (FG) posts because I give you appropriate credit where it's due, but in this case, you are INCORRECT.

A lot of people would not want to have a low-income job, but they put themselves in that situation by not pursuing any form of higher education. For instance, I recently got a job at a new clothing store that opened in the SI Mall and based from what the managers learned about me when I took an assessment survey, they said based on my answers I have knowledge of what it takes to be assistant manager or have a role of any higher-up position in a company. A lot of jobs offer opportunity for growth, but I highly doubt Wal-Mart is one of those stores, especially when they offer pay below minimum wage.

When you buy at Wal-Mart, you're basically saying you support the outsourcing of jobs, in which the people who make our clothes overseas are treated like shit and getting crummy pay just so we can have comfort. No fair trade agreement there, and it's sickening. They don't have unions to protect them and ensure that they get higher wages and work in a safe environment. We really don't think about these things when we ring up our products at the cashier.

Incorr...screw it. If we're really going to bring up sweatshops, then let's talk about Nike. I'm sure the same people here who antagonize Walmart have no qualms about wearing Air Jordans.

Okay let's see the statistics.

I know stores that pay higher then that. I know local stores that pays you $15 dollars an hour, allow overtime, and health benefits. If I want I can make twice the amount of money, and qualify for more things then a Wal-Mart employee. You think I would work long and hard just to get paid $7 an hour ($5 an hour in some states). I would want to get help if I am sick, and I would like to work overtime to get some extra money, but Wal-Mart doesn't do that for their employees. Wal-Mart isn't a good thing and would only harm NYC. Their goods aren't American made, and doesn't protect American workers and employees. By buying goods from other nations we harm our own nation.

So if you don't want to work at Walmart, no one is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to work there. But don't prevent other, willing people from working there.

in my last post what I think of a Made in America type store....

I am in FULL support of Mr. Mark Andol... I would go as far as to offer to shake his hand for havin the GUTS to take on these corporations....

Have his store open up in NYC, and I swear to god I won't step foot in a rite aid (and I live about 2 blocks away from one), duane reade, cvs, family dollar, the bazillion 99 cent stores plaguing urban neighborhoods, NONE of em.... Never been to a target, a walmart, or a k-mart, and I don't plan on doin so either.

And I'm sure Mr. Andol will hire plenty of 6'4" black males with cornrows...

That's a pretty ignorant statement. It seems like you're basically saying that blacks can't get any other jobs but low wage ones. If that's the case then why would anyone hire a black person who is college educated like yourself?? That's a really poor excuse to justify folks working at Walmart.

Incorr...screw it. If we're really going to bring up sweatshops, then let's talk about Nike. I'm sure the same people here who antagonize Walmart have no qualms about wearing Air Jordans.

Now this I do agree with. Folks are so tied to brand names like Nike that they can't give them up. They claim they are against sweatshop labor but ask them to give up their name brand sneakers and they would never think of giving up those "Made in China" or "Made in Vietnam" or whatever other third world country those sweatshop sneakers come from. What?? Yo those are Tims man. I ain't figgin' to give those up. LMAO

Me on the other hand my clothing is basically void of logos and such, so I'll wear a simple black t-shirt that is "Made in USA" with some American made jeans. I'm a big American Apparel fan because their shirts are void of any logos really and the focus is on being "Made in USA" as that is what the brand pushes. I don't need to advertise what I am wearing for anyone. I care about the quality and that I am buying something that was made by folks who are paid decent wages, but yeah most folks don't really practice what they preach on that end.

LOL HAPPY AT WALMART?!

Everytime I walk into the Target at Skyview Center I don't see anyone happy about their job! Who the hell is going to be happy earning 7-8 bucks an hour repeatedly stocking/zoning/and maintaining a store? Please the one thing I looked forward to working at a big box store was the crappy paycheck and punching out for the day. Maybe some friendly conversation with my co-workers was something worth looking forward to but other than that, no.

They'll tell you to work quick because they want people to do as MUCH as possible within their shift, to down-stack your pallets if you're on the overnight and re-stack them once the overstock has been identified, sometimes the store screws up on an order and you have too much of one thing. Sure there's the end cap displays but some are just too full to kill off because the respective product has been stocked in its own shelf so you just cart that pallet off to the back only to get bitched at by the back room guys because now they have more stuff to sort out and shelve. Other times they'll tell you to take your time... Really...

Oh, and they'll bitch at you about overtime if you go so much as one minute beyond 40 hours...

According to Walmart policy part-timers work something like 16-32 hours a week, they don't get any vacation time for TWO years, which means you spend one year just working, the second year you begin accumulating time but you can't use it until the NEXT year. Moving up? The highest you can hope to move up to is either support manager or assistant manager. You can get raises but you'll only get so far as to the point where they'll force you to move up to keep your salary in check, which I'm assuming isn't much because even my damn assistant manager ALSO worked a second part time job to make ends meet.

It's alllllllll bullshit!

Oh good, the workers look happy to FG so therefore it's a tip-top establishment!! :tup::tup:

In case I had any questions about your ignorance and short-sightedness earlier, those are gone after that post.

And really, you're looking desperate. You've thrown out every card you've got. You've played the race card. You've claimed classism. You've painted yourself as a populist. You've brought political parties into it. And frankly, your claim about Mr. Andol is ludicrous, racist, judgmental, and ignorant, and you should be ashamed at just what you said about him.

Nicely done. Clearly you have no substantial argument whatsoever.

--

Personally, a bad job is better than unemployment, but a Wal-Mart job is worse than being unemployed.

So you would rather have $0 in your pocket than $7?

That's a pretty ignorant statement. It seems like you're basically saying that blacks can't get any other jobs but low wage ones. If that's the case then why would anyone hire a black person who is college educated like yourself?? That's a really poor excuse to justify folks working at Walmart.

I didn't say that. I said that there's blatant employment discrimination. A white ex-con has a better chance of getting a job than a black college graduate. These mom and pop stores refuse to hire black males. At least Walmart hires black males.

I didn't say that. I said that there's blatant employment discrimination. A white ex-con has a better chance of getting a job than a black college graduate. These mom and pop stores refuse to hire black males. At least Walmart hires black males.

That is just not true. In my office we've hired 1, 2, 3 blacks and 2 out of the 3 were fired because they couldn't do the job. The other one had school commitments and moved on. We also had another young lady of color and she was fired also as she couldn't do the job so it comes down to skills. That's four minorities that have been hired and I've been working there for 4 years. If a person doesn't have the skills they shouldn't be hired.

It's been shown that blacks are generally behind their fellow peers in school, so it would make sense that they're working more low wage jobs, just as it would if it were whites that were doing poorly in school.

Now I'm not going to say that discrimination doesn't exist because in my office building you can count the blacks on one hand that work there and yes there does seem to be some discrimination towards dark skinned blacks, but clearly some blacks are indeed being hired and not for low wage jobs. Perhaps its a question of them applying themselves more.

All of the people who desperately come to Workforce 1 every single day would beg for a job at Walmart. And maybe it's merely a facade, but whenever I go to Walmart, the workers look happy. Yes, the store is dingy and the line is long, but it does not look like a dungeon full of indentured servants

Fallacy of composition. Just because you perceive something to be true (mind you, those employees are paid to LOOK happy) does not mean it is universally true.

Secondly, ask the people at workforce 1 if they'd rather have a shit job or a good job. Because if companies like walmart weren't allowed to shitsource (i'm coining that term, BTW) all their production to third rate rat infested human rightsless ass cracks like China....there would still be plenty of manufacturing jobs here for them to employ. You know. Union jobs. With benefits. Time and a half overtime. A regular work week. Ask them if they'd rather have that or some minimum wage job standing at an entrance all day saying "welcome to walmart"

Oh good, the workers look happy to FG so therefore it's a tip-top establishment!! :tup::tup:

In case I had any questions about your ignorance and short-sightedness earlier, those are gone after that post.

And really, you're looking desperate. You've thrown out every card you've got. You've played the race card. You've claimed classism. You've painted yourself as a populist. You've brought political parties into it. And frankly, your claim about Mr. Andol is ludicrous, racist, judgmental, and ignorant, and you should be ashamed at just what you said about him.

Nicely done. Clearly you have no substantial argument whatsoever.

Not to mention that it is borderline defamation (libel) of a private citizen. I'm surprised as a law student he doesn't know that.

Again, only a liberal elitist would think that he can decide what's best for other people. Do you honestly think that the average Walmart patron cares about GDP, Keynesian economics, or any of that other crap? The West Indian single mom with 3 kids simply wants to buy Eggo Waffles for the cheapest price. She couldn't give a rat's @ss about China. And as for the projects, a Walmart job is not the ideal job, but I'd rather see someone from the projects working at Walmart than selling weed. In order to get these ideal jobs, you have to start at the bottom. Many of my law school classmates worked in retail prior to attending law school.

Well FG, everyone doesn't have a defeatist attitude on life that you do.... everyone that's gotten their dream/ideal/good job didn't start at the bottom.... for starters, just ask some of the MTA personnel on this forum... don't talk to me about the rich elite & don't bring up nepotism either; we're talkin about the common working man here.....

..and I'd rather see project heads workin other blue collar jobs than workin at walmart.... You are oblivious to the fact that lesser off people in the projects that work low salaried jobs still resort to illegal means of obtaining money... Like I said before, (of the ones that do work) everyone in the projects aint workin minimum wage jobs; that's a long running fallacy only the naive believe......

-------

I gotta say this b/c this is pissin me off about you....

We are both black men, but there is a stark difference b/w us....

I am the type to side & speak up for with black men & women that aren't more middle class like I am.... I have no problem choppin up game w/ project heads... I have far more in common with them, than I do w/ people like you.... For the life of me, I can't see myself advocating our people to go work for some type of organization like walmart...

Whereas You are the type that separates yourself from project folks, stickin your nose up at them and thinkin that you're better.... Which to me is laughable, especially with the things you say on this forum, especially with your financial situation - with which you make no hesitation of reminding us of on here.... You & your law friends, co-signing people on here when they make your arguments for you.... 26 years old and you still don't have a backbone.... There's a term for people like you in the black community, which I won't say on this forum; and sellout aint it either....

I wish more heads like BJC, and other folks on here that live/lived in the projects speak up & rip you a new one....

I got your 6'4 nzzzz with cornrows you corny, tacky bastard..... I wish I could rip the black off your ass right now... you sound no different than a white man stereotyping black men....

now Mr Andol is some type of a bigot...

Judging by his comments over the years.... Via, he sees himself as being better than most black people (that may not be entirely his fault, but it is what it is).... He has no problem with blacks being at the bottom - as long as it aint his ass, and ppl. in his circle....

The notion that he wants project folks to work at these places (or anywhere else) is nothin more than a smokescreen... Who the hell sits there and advocates working retail jobs?

If cats were to waste away smokin that good, holla'n @ females on the corner all day, he.. couldn't... give a... damn - As long as he doesn't have to be subjected to it.... He knows it, and I know it; let him deny it if he wants.....

The feminine logic comes into play where he says things like "would you rather have $0 than $7"....

No grown man that's about something, thinks like that.....

They claim they are against sweatshop labor but ask them to give up their name brand sneakers and they would never think of giving up those "Made in China" or "Made in Vietnam" or whatever other third world country those sweatshop sneakers come from. What?? Yo those are Tims man. I ain't figgin' to give those up. LMAO

You mean, I aint fin to give those up.... Good try though... lol....

Seriously though, that part of FG's point I do agree with..... those are the major hypocrites, adamant about bein so anti-sweatshop to the point where they're ready to march/picket/rally.... but are the same ones that live & die by the popular name brand...

they're the same types that cry foul about the butchering of animals, but best bet these are the same people gettin those 2 cheeseburgers & large fries at mcdonalds every other day....

BTW, there is a clothing store in Ridgewood that sells only American made clothes. Its called USA Clothing Inc.

USA Clothing Inc

877 549 8721

771 Wyckoff Ave, Ridgewood

the goods here are of great quality and American made :cool:

I'll be sure to pass through that store sometime next week :cool:

Judging by his comments over the years.... Via, he sees himself as being better than most black people (that may not be entirely his fault, but it is what it is).... He has no problem with blacks being at the bottom - as long as it aint his ass, and ppl. in his circle....

The notion that he wants project folks to work at these places (or anywhere else) is nothin more than a smokescreen... Who the hell sits there and advocates working retail jobs?

If cats were to waste away smokin that good, holla'n @ females on the corner all day, he.. couldn't... give a... damn - As long as he doesn't have to be subjected to it.... He knows it, and I know it; let him deny it if he wants.....

The feminine logic comes into play where he says things like "would you rather have $0 than $7"....

No grown man that's about something, thinks like that.....

I'm not an Uncle Tom. I'm not Carlton from the Fresh Prince of Bel Air. FYI, I was born in Bushwick. My mom came from the Marcy Projects (that's right, the same projects that Jay-Z came from). Up until she passed away last year, my grandmother lived in the Marcy Projects. My dad was born in Harlem. Once again, you're missing the point. I didnt' say that a retail job was the ideal job. I merely intimated that a retail job was better than NO JOB. You mentioned that your cousin hooked you up with a job. Not everyone is that lucky. In the two years between the time I finished college and attended law school, I desperately looked for employment at Workforce 1. I'd wait on line for an hour and fill out all of those stupid documents. It was to no avail. I even joined the military briefly, but it didn't work out. By the grace of God, I got into law school. Ideally, everyone from the projects would have the opportunity to attend college and law school or graduate school. In reality, that's not the case. You speak from the perspective of someone who has a job, but if you were unemployed you'd rather work at Walmart than be broke.

I gotta say this b/c this is pissin me off about you....

We are both black men, but there is a stark difference b/w us....

I am the type to side & speak up for with black men & women that aren't more middle class like I am.... I have no problem choppin up game w/ project heads... I have far more in common with them, than I do w/ people like you.... For the life of me, I can't see myself advocating our people to go work for some type of organization like walmart...

Whereas You are the type that separates yourself from project folks, stickin your nose up at them and thinkin that you're better.... Which to me is laughable, especially with the things you say on this forum, especially with your financial situation - with which you make no hesitation of reminding us of on here.... You & your law friends, co-signing people on here when they make your arguments for you.... 26 years old and you still don't have a backbone.... There's a term for people like you in the black community, which I won't say on this forum; and sellout aint it either....

I wish more heads like BJC, and other folks on here that live/lived in the projects speak up & rip you a new one....

I got your 6'4 nzzzz with cornrows you corny, tacky bastard..... I wish I could rip the black off your ass right now... you sound no different than a white man stereotyping black men....

If only you knew about all of the times I was falsely accused of shoplifting. If only you knew about this lily white, blonde professor at my law school who gave me two D's and put me on Academic Probation. The Dean has made it clear that she wants to increase the minimum LSAT score and GPA required to attend the law school. I'm actually part of a black law student group that's advocating for more minority students at the law school. So yes, I've dealt with discrimination. However, this isn't about me. The fact of the matter is that we used to be tight, but since you want to look cool in front of LRG and your other buddies here, you figure that antagonizing me will make you more popular since I'm perceived as an outcast due to the fact that I don't always state the popular opinion.

I'm not an Uncle Tom. I'm not Carlton from the Fresh Prince of Bel Air. FYI, I was born in Bushwick. My mom came from the Marcy Projects (that's right, the same projects that Jay-Z came from). Up until she passed away last year, my grandmother lived in the Marcy Projects. My dad was born in Harlem. Once again, you're missing the point. I didnt' say that a retail job was the ideal job. I merely intimated that a retail job was better than NO JOB. You mentioned that your cousin hooked you up with a job. Not everyone is that lucky. In the two years between the time I finished college and attended law school, I desperately looked for employment at Workforce 1. I'd wait on line for an hour and fill out all of those stupid documents. It was to no avail. I even joined the military briefly, but it didn't work out. By the grace of God, I got into law school. Ideally, everyone from the projects would have the opportunity to attend college and law school or graduate school. In reality, that's not the case. You speak from the perspective of someone who has a job, but if you were unemployed you'd rather work at Walmart than be broke.

Yeah, but I think you're missing the point too. So yeah maybe these people have jobs, but working like dogs the way they do, they don't last long and they never pull themselves out of poverty working at places like Walmart either. It's just an ongoing cycle in which they're still poor. The only difference is that they can say that they have a job and aren't collecting welfare.

When I go to Whole Foods I used to think wow these folks (older black cashiers in particular as opposed to say black college students) are awfully cranky and angry. You could see how pissed they were. Here they were busting their @sses and you'd have us yuppy folks come in (yeah I'm guilty of being a bit yuppy too lol) and buy whatever like it was nothing, but now I suppose I can understand their dilemma a bit. Sure Whole Foods is no Walmart, as folks there are paid a lot better and can indeed move up the ladder so to speak, but it's still this ongoing cycle of working a sort of dead end job being a cashier or whatever. Those sorts of jobs no matter what company it is are not exactly what one would want to be doing if they wanted to break the cycle and move up in society and provide a better life for their kids. That's basically the point.

Now I know that some folks work at those places as college students or folks that are retired or whatever and some just like doing that type of work and that's perfectly fine. I mean some of them are quite skilled as cooks and such and you do learn a lot in terms of being more versatile as a professional. Me as a college student I had several jobs working as a Spanish & Italian tutor, working a few nights a week in my mailroom in my dorm, and then I worked security at our hockey games and worked as the skateguard up at the hockey rink on the weekends. Sure these were fun jobs as I got paid basically to sit and watch the hockey games and to skate around as a skateguard, but I couldn't imagine myself doing that stuff permanently (excluding the tutoring). Tutoring privately on the side can earn you some nice cash and is basically well respected. Believe me I know. :cool:

Your personal situation doesn't sway me one bit, and I'm not missin a damn thing.... you don't have to say it, but you sure as hell are implying it.... Someone has got to be a damn fool to want to work somewhere where they'll be mistreated & taken advantage of....

I've been unemployed, and I have DENIED job offers while jobless.... Guess that ideology doesn't ring possible in that skull of yours huh... First job offer, you run & accept it... Good for you....

The fact of the matter is that we used to be tight, but since you want to look cool in front of LRG and your other buddies here, you figure that antagonizing me will make you more popular since I'm perceived as an outcast due to the fact that I don't always state the popular opinion.

whoa whoa whoa....

lmfao.... We used to be tight? Really... Now I know you're delusional.

I want you to read this carefully... Let this sink in too, Forest Glen...

I tolerated you, sure, sometimes I felt sorry for ya.... but I Never considered you a buddy.... I don't use that term loosely to define ppl..... I've never seen you, or anyone else on this forum up close & personal.... You latched on to me because you felt I was the middle man in w/e rivalries you got yourself into (outside of w/e problems you got yourself into on SC, which I aint a part of)... Look back at the nature of every post I've ever directed to you & you tell me the majority of those posts if that's how two "buddies" talk to each other.... Of course, you consider it all as "having our differences".....

Quick to seek acceptance from others... Hoping someone sees things your way... Evading from any type of real debate & difference in opinion instead of standing on your own two feet and defending it.... You are the epitome of weak... And trust me, I don't need LRG or any of my supposed "buddies" (love how you dragged his name into this b/c you had a problem with him in the past btw) to back me on ANYTHING I say...

I antagonize you, and you are seen as an outcast in this community because you say flat out dumb shit, point blank... Good try at tryna portray yourself as this innocent victim..... Poor Forest Glen, the unpopular bullied young man... Must be frustrating to have your points so easily shut down by people typing on a computer....

People have higher standards for themselves than just settling for some low income job.... That's what you don't seem to quite get.... Anyone that doesn't see things your way is somehow missin the point.... yeah okay...

Then set us all straight then.

Archived