'USA only' store does a booming biz

Via Garibaldi 8

Lol...I can't believe where this conversation has come to. Seriously FG, buddies??? I give people credit where it's due, I show no favoritism to anyone on here, and the same goes for you.

I don't know what it is to you but this paranoia frenzy that people are out to get you really needs to stop. This is the same thing that happened last year when you went out on a limb and accused Grand Concourse of being biased towards you because we're online friends...are you ████ serious? You're making everything bigger than what it has to be. You're entitled to your opinions as is everyone else, but coming back with immature responses isn't helping in your favor, and if we don't agree with you, we have to say so.

Exactly, he chose to 'ally' himself with that turd TS and look how well that turned out. At least stick up for what you believe in and be prepared to face the backlash from taking potentially unfavorable opinions. This is not a dictatorship where what one person says is law and no one else can be critical of it. That's why this is a discussion board. There's going to be people of diverse backgrounds and opinions that will either agree or disagree.

but this whole 'taking things seriously' stuff.... I think the person needs some time off if he thinks it's all some sort of vendetta. Like my points about Jeter, you can think less of him as a player, but you don't have to 'spit on him' as the person. Here, we are in disagreement with the opinions, but by no means are we out to 'tar and feather' the person.

I mean based on tv court room shows, aren't lawyers going to go back and forth even getting into heated arguements? Person's gotta have more resolve to stand that sort of environment.

whoa whoa whoa....

lmfao.... We used to be tight? Really... Now I know you're delusional.

I want you to read this carefully... Let this sink in too, Forest Glen...

I tolerated you, sure, sometimes I felt sorry for ya.... but I Never considered you a buddy.... I don't use that term loosely to define ppl..... I've never seen you, or anyone else on this forum up close & personal.... You latched on to me because you felt I was the middle man in w/e rivalries you got yourself into (outside of w/e problems you got yourself into on SC, which I aint a part of)... Look back at the nature of every post I've ever directed to you & you tell me the majority of those posts if that's how two "buddies" talk to each other.... Of course, you consider it all as "having our differences".....

Quick to seek acceptance from others... Hoping someone sees things your way... Evading from any type of real debate & difference in opinion instead of standing on your own two feet and defending it.... You are the epitome of weak... And trust me, I don't need LRG or any of my supposed "buddies" (love how you dragged his name into this b/c you had a problem with him in the past btw) to back me on ANYTHING I say...

I antagonize you, and you are seen as an outcast in this community because you say flat out dumb shit, point blank... Good try at tryna portray yourself as this innocent victim..... Poor Forest Glen, the unpopular bullied young man... Must be frustrating to have your points so easily shut down by people typing on a computer....

You're right. I was delusional. I once considered you like an older brother, but unlike you my real older brother isn't chickensh*t. Your comments hurt more than anything Terrapin Station has done to me over the years. However, I'm glad I finally saw your true colors instead of thinking you were this cool guy who respected me even though we had our differences. And I don't know who the f*ck you think you're talking to, calling me dumb. I don't care if you're bigger than me. I'm not scared of a pompous, wannabe gangster, and mediocre rapper. It's clear that you prostituted yourself in order to gain LRG's and Grand Concourse's approval. Very well. BTW, I shopped at Walmart tonight. You can go f*ck yourself.

Guys.... this is basic economics.

If you want cheap goods, you need cheap labor to produce them and cheap labor to sell them. American workers are unable to produce cheap goods anymore. I blame the Unions mostly, but otherwise Americans tend to be very greedy when it comes to pay. So the production moves to a place where it can be made cheaper. The only way America is going to get that production back is to provide the goods at a cheaper rate. If you can't change the American buyer (which is near impossible), then you gotta change the American worker.

Make it all you want about justice of class or race or whatever. In this Capitalist society, in the end, it always comes down to money. Always.

You're right. I was delusional. I once considered you like an older brother, but unlike you my real older brother isn't chickensh*t. Your comments hurt more than anything Terrapin Station has done to me over the years. However, I'm glad I finally saw your true colors instead of thinking you were this cool guy who respected me even though we had our differences. And I don't know who the f*ck you think you're talking to, calling me dumb. I don't care if you're bigger than me. I'm not scared of a pompous, wannabe gangster, and mediocre rapper. It's clear that you prostituted yourself in order to gain LRG's and Grand Concourse's approval. Very well. BTW, I shopped at Walmart tonight. You can go f*ck yourself.

JESUS ████ING CHRIST, are you in heat or something?

For a grown man who's in his mid 20s, this is the last type of behavior I should even be seeing from anyone within your age range. I don't know if you're going through something at home or are struggling in school, and if that's the case I truly apologize, but the bottom line is there are bigger things happening than you and even myself, and the same goes for everyone on this board.

I'm beginning to sound like a broken record, but come on already...calm down and relax! It's not that serious!!!

Spoken like a true man !

Of course you couldn't refute anyone's points as it pertains to this topic....

Move on w/ this menstrual soap opera bullshit....

Guys.... this is basic economics.

If you want cheap goods, you need cheap labor to produce them and cheap labor to sell them. American workers are unable to produce cheap goods anymore. I blame the Unions mostly, but otherwise Americans tend to be very greedy when it comes to pay. So the production moves to a place where it can be made cheaper. The only way America is going to get that production back is to provide the goods at a cheaper rate. If you can't change the American buyer (which is near impossible), then you gotta change the American worker.

Make it all you want about justice of class or race or whatever. In this Capitalist society, in the end, it always comes down to money. Always.

Again...I need to reference the other thread (about the muslim brotherhood):

It's easy to make products for cheap when you are paying people slave wages.

It is not America's job to compete with the modern day equivalent of slavery by creating its own form of near-slavery. It is America's job to prevent the sale of such crappily made products within its borders...to create a free market within fair competition. Unfair competitors (like China) be damned.

How is China an unfair competitor? It is America's own fault they let it get to the point that it did.

China does not treat their workers fairly AT ALL.

The United States, the European Union, and other developed nations that have human rights standards...owes no duty or allegiance to China for ANYTHING. The US can, should, and MUST do as it pleases to PROTECT ITS OWN INTERESTS and the JOBS OF ITS CITIZENS.

That used to mean protecting the American Standard of Living.

Or should we just use your logic and say, "well Somalia has no human rights, and human rights are expensive to maintain, so we'll be like Somalia because they run government more efficiently"

???

The American government has a responsibility to protect the interests of America and her citizens. And that includes maintaining a standard of living when competing with a nation that produces low quality goods with de facto slave labor that kills American jobs and undermines the standard of living here...by ANY MEANS NECESSARY, even if it means telling that nation to go shit in its hat.

How is China an unfair competitor? It is America's own fault they let it get to the point that it did.

Are you serious?? You must've missed out on Economics 101... Well to put it simply, they've been purposely surpressing their dollar (aka pegging it) so that it remains weak against the American dollar and other currencies. That keeps their goods extremely cheap (artificially) compared to other countries who are playing by the rules, making it nearly impossible to compete with them. Aside from that, their relaxed corporate laws allow companies to go over there and basically do as they please. The end result is a country whose citizens are suffering from terrible pollution, filthy waterways and no where to put trash because they haven't built enough landfills for it, so you have towns where people are literally living in trash or have "landfills" in their backyards. Totally disgusting. If there is any way to sanction them they should be because they are totally irresponsible in terms of the environment and they causing a sh*t load of pollution that will effect the entire world for decades to come. :mad: :tdown:

Yet another reason why I refuse to buy anything from there. This has nothing to do with being jealous of China. This has to do with a country that is playing dirty and is irresponsible to its citizens and to humanity.

On the other hand, you do have a point to a degree. American politicians have been pushing this sh*t for way too long and it is our fault also because we haven't done enough to make them realize that we want American made products. We're a consumer economy and the idea that we weren't making things is just ridiculous and kills our economy.

By the way Canada is suffering from a similar situation and I know some Canadians feel the same way. They want protectionist measures put in place to protect Canadian manufacturing and jobs. The thing is Canada is much smaller than the U.S. particularly powerwise, so they really need to do things even more so to protect their economy. In any event, it is still good to see some Canadian companies making their products with pride in Canada. Love my Canadian parkas in the winter time. :cool:

SubwayGuy beat me to it mainly, but you're just a fool if you think China's slave-labor workforce is the way forward. In America we provide benefits (and we have UNIONS, which are ESSENTIAL) and protect our workers, because we value their work. If we are to stoop down to the inhumane Chinese work levels, then we might as well toss away everything we stand for. We have always valued hard work, but we have always understood that with work comes reward: pay, benefits.

So your argument is either replace the whole workforce with machines or start treating our workers like slaves... Unemploy the country or sweatshops. Efficient, yes, a good plan, no. Ever heard of the Triangle Shirtwaste disaster? That was efficient labor... until, well, when it wasn't. Foxconn, they're efficient (alternately, «««« Apple for outsourcing to them), until their workers kill themselves...

We can't keep up with China because we're so far ahead of them, if that makes any sense to you.

You're correct, but Tokkemon does have a point. The typical American consumer is too CHEAP to pay for quality and that is the big problem. You can't ask for quality, but be unwilling to pay more for American made goods. It's complete hypocrisy.

There's also this little wrench in the system: a lot of people are too poor to afford American goods. They HAVE to buy Chinese goods because they don't have enough money in the bank account to do otherwise. That's what FG was talking about before. When you're struggling with money, you don't care about the grand scheme at all. What matters is how you survive until the next paycheck. Economists (professional and the armchair kind) tend to forget this, often because they've never experienced that themselves.

A side note about Canada: It has a lucky position of having mountains (literally) of natural resources to draw from, significantly: Paper, Wood, Grains, minerals (like iron or copper), Manufacturing (like our favorite company Bombarier), and oil. Canada supplies the most oil to the USA than any other nation in the world.

China does not treat their workers fairly AT ALL.

The United States, the European Union, and other developed nations that have human rights standards...owes no duty or allegiance to China for ANYTHING. The US can, should, and MUST do as it pleases to PROTECT ITS OWN INTERESTS and the JOBS OF ITS CITIZENS.

That used to mean protecting the American Standard of Living.

Or should we just use your logic and say, "well Somalia has no human rights, and human rights are expensive to maintain, so we'll be like Somalia because they run government more efficiently"

???

The American government has a responsibility to protect the interests of America and her citizens. And that includes maintaining a standard of living when competing with a nation that produces low quality goods with de facto slave labor that kills American jobs and undermines the standard of living here...by ANY MEANS NECESSARY, even if it means telling that nation to go shit in its hat.

That's all fine and dandy, and I agree that nations should stand up for human rights, but the reality is that you can't have your cake and eat it too. Something's gotta give. Be it the American worker or the entire economy. Your choice.

Though we aren't in China. We are in America. We should worry about what is going on back here rather then what is going on 8,000 miles away. I'm Chinese American, and I live here so I am worried about America, and not about my parent's home nation 8,000 miles away. We need to care about the problem here. We can't do anything about civil rights in China. The people in China must know that they have to change their government and install democracy themselves we can't help them. This is what Thomas Jefferson said when Greece created their own democratic government.

You're correct, but Tokkemon does have a point. The typical American consumer is too CHEAP to pay for quality and that is the big problem. You can't ask for quality, but be unwilling to pay more for American made goods. It's complete hypocrisy.

Lol too cheap to buy quality... Well that's sadly the case when most of your income goes towards your rent and bills... So the better solution is to buy the lower-priced stuff...

Until this problem is fixed people will continue to penny pinch.

Lol too cheap to buy quality... Well that's sadly the case when most of your income goes towards your rent and bills... So the better solution is to buy the lower-priced stuff...

Until this problem is fixed people will continue to penny pinch.

Not necessarily. Many American products are just as cheap if not cheaper than the Chinese stuff. Folks just have to do something called shopping around.

They typical American consumer does not even think about it. Many goods it is actually quite difficult to find out where they're made. It's buried on a tag somewhere, or in fine print on the box.

I try to buy American where possible, but in a lot of cases it's NOT possible and that's part of the problem. So in that situation the tiebreaker will be buying from anyone who is NOT made in China, Indonesia, Singapore, or Pakistan.

It's not about customers being "unwilling" to pay more, it's about consumers who know nothing about anything seeing two seemingly identical goods on a shelf - one made with slave chinese labor, the other made with Indian labor - one for 2.99 and one for 3.49, and them not knowing any better choosing the chinese product which is likely to be defective or hazardous to their health.

The American jobs are already GONE. In case you haven't noticed, it takes a conscious effort to LOCATE American made items to buy. It's not like they're not just sitting around waiting to be purchased in the big box stores and customers are knowingly choosing cheaper goods. They're not even STOCKED because they are so RARE.

And THAT'S where the manufacturing base has gone.

That's all fine and dandy, and I agree that nations should stand up for human rights, but the reality is that you can't have your cake and eat it too. Something's gotta give. Be it the American worker or the entire economy. Your choice.

So you're telling me that the cheap shit is keeping the economy afloat?

Why have economists and bankers and lawmakers had to resort to creating bubbles the last 25 years if the economy was so healthy?

Why has the top 1% of wealth in this country grown astronomically from these bubbles while other social classes (read: the overwhelming majority) have stagnated?

The economy is already "given up" and now if things stay the same the American worker is going to be sold out up the river and left to dry when he gets to the end.

China took our cake, gave us the dish back, and wants us to wash it for free. We don't have any cake, cuz China already ate it.

America has a duty to its own citizens and stop the bleeding out of American wealth into the hands of a communist country. Cubans have to defect to come here, and make rafts out of plants to wash up on Miami beach, because they're a communist country while our own government allows the largest communist country in this world - which, by the way, hates America - to aggregate the lion's share of this nation's debt, allows them to immigrate freely here, allows them to have anchor babies here, and allows them to run a massive trade surplus that only grows each month that sends wealth out of here to there.

I have a huge f***ing problem with a government supposedly elected BY the people FOR the people that does nothing except what HARMS the people - who are the working stiffs who would benefit from initiatives that kept low wage competitor nations' goods out of here and encouraged domestic investment in TANGIBLE GOODS AND MANUFACTURING that could then be used to build up the supply for America's own. Made by America for America, just like it used to be.

If the f***ing Chinese can block Coke from buying a Chinese beverage company we sure as shit can tell them off. But we've got to start taxing the wealthy and hitting their massive offshore savings accounts with good ol' US taxes, to pay down the Chinese debt FIRST and reduce trade dependence on them so that when we tell them to go shit in their hats it won't be worth it for them to take any aggressive military action.

That is the ONLY WAY this country will get back to being great again.

Though we aren't in China. We are in America. We should worry about what is going on back here rather then what is going on 8,000 miles away. I'm Chinese American, and I live here so I am worried about America, and not about my parent's home nation 8,000 miles away. We need to care about the problem here. We can't do anything about civil rights in China. The people in China must know that they have to change their government and install democracy themselves we can't help them. This is what Thomas Jefferson said when Greece created their own democratic government.

We don't have to do a damn thing about China's human rights except to keep their products out of OUR COUNTRY so that their shitty way of life does not infest this nation like a plague and damn us, our children, and grandchildren to a lifetime of servitude at the hands of the nationless corporate masters who care only about their profits and wealth.

Archived