X22 to the Outerbridge Park and Ride Review

LRG

Three when you include me and they wanted to get off just as bad as I did in terms of speed, and not because we were in such a hurry either. lol It was pretty funny thinking back on it and the local bus riders were all gawking at us as they usually do when they see the express buses pass by. Sometimes when I'm on the X30 and we're passing through Port Richmond and Mariners' Harbor and I look at how those local bus riders look at the express bus folks, they have such resentment and anger in their facial expressions that they look like they want to rob them or something. The next time you ride and express on Staten Island, just observe how the local riders act when they see an express bus passing by in certain areas. B) LOL

I have it West Brighton, but not to the same degree because there aren't many local bus riders at my stops when I get off or on. Then again West Brighton is more upscale than Mariners' Harbor or parts of Port Richmond, so that makes sense. :cool:

That is certainly not true. Plenty of folks transfer between express buses and in fact they could very well use the local buses to do so which in some cases make the exact same stop, but they refuse to do so. :cool:

During the rush hour yeah, you'll see some in parts of West Brighton esp. at Bard Avenue, but overall that is not the case. More affluent folks on Staten Island tend to use the express buses. It would be interesting to measure the income levels of the local bus riders to that of the express bus riders. Can you find any stats on that? :(

Well, I'm usually down with the local riders when the express buses pass by (often at Richmond Avenue/Forest Avenue or the surrounding area, such as by Western Beef). Most of the people could care less about the people on the bus. To them, it's just an oversized car passing through.

And about the transferring, you don't know what those riders would do if there was no express bus for the second leg of the trip. For example, if I'm on the X14 and I get off at Fingerboard Road, I might let an S79 pass because I know an X1, X2, X3, or X9 will come soon, but if it's late in the evening, I might take whatever comes.

And I can't find anything about express bus riders vs. local bus riders, but I can find the stats about car owners vs. non-car owners. IIRC, on Staten Island, the average car-owning household makes around $80,000, and the average car-free household makes around $30,000 (of course, you have to take into consideration the fact that seniors and singles are overly represented in the carfree category)

Well, I'm usually down with the local riders when the express buses pass by (often at Richmond Avenue/Forest Avenue or the surrounding area, such as by Western Beef). Most of the people could care less about the people on the bus. To them, it's just an oversized car passing through.

And about the transferring, you don't know what those riders would do if there was no express bus for the second leg of the trip. For example, if I'm on the X14 and I get off at Fingerboard Road, I might let an S79 pass because I know an X1, X2, X3, or X9 will come soon, but if it's late in the evening, I might take whatever comes.

And I can't find anything about express bus riders vs. local bus riders, but I can find the stats about car owners vs. non-car owners. IIRC, on Staten Island, the average car-owning household makes around $80,000, and the average car-free household makes around $30,000 (of course, you have to take into consideration the fact that seniors and singles are overly represented in the carfree category)

WOW, $30,000 huh? That's pretty low. I just don't bother with a car because I'm always in the city, but I am single, but I certainly earn far more than 30k. In fact I don't know what I'd do earning 30k a year. I mean it would be next to impossible to earn 30k and make it on your own being single.

WOW, $30,000 huh? That's pretty low. I just don't bother with a car because I'm always in the city, but I am single, but I certainly ear far more than 30k. In fact I don't know what I'd do earning 30k a year. I mean it would be next to impossible to earn 30k and make it on your own being single.

Well, here we are:

http://www.tstc.org/reports/cpfactsheets.php

That website has links for the different congessional districts, legislative districts, boroughs and so on.

Percent of households without a vehicle: 18.4%

Households without a vehicle: $29,624

Households with a vehicle: $74,991

And that trend (of car-owning households earning more than autoless households) holds true in all neighborhoods in all of the boroughs:

http://www.tstc.org/reports/cpsheets/NYCcouncil_factsheet_district%204.pdf (Upper East Side)

Percent of households without a vehicle: 70.1%

Households without a vehicle: $111,870

Households with a vehicle: $269,039

http://www.tstc.org/reports/cpsheets/NYCcouncil_factsheet_district%2017.pdf (South Bronx)

Households without a vehicle: $23,820

Households with a vehicle: $44,301

But the thing is that there are a lot of variables to consider. There are college students who make very little money, but have all of their expenses paid. Then, there are seniors who make some money from Social Security and their pensions, but they saved up for retirement and can live off that.

• 5 months later...

Archived